What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guillotine League Strategy (1 Viewer)

I’m picking 15th. I’m really considering Kamara if he falls to me. Crazy considering the unresolved legal issues?

Not playing this year (told those guys in January that I was probably out and they didn't ask again, though they did change the payout to top two), but happy to jump in and contribute to the thread.
that sucks. I definitely think need to pay out at least top 3 if not 4. You in standard leagues still?

I’m picking 15th. I’m really considering Kamara if he falls to me. Crazy considering the unresolved legal issues?

That was initially made him fall. But now it's obvious he's not going to be punished this year and things are looking up. He went pretty early in my guillotine league though but there are plenty of good RBs around 15. I believe people are now understanding the value of top WRs as I see a lot of boards with Kupp, Jefferson, Chase getting taken early. Just so much safer.

Sorry if already talked about but we love this format.

Scroll down and we have links to 6 other strategy articles on guillotine leagues.

I saw that, which I think is great. This format seems to be growing fast. I do wonder how you guys will deal with bidding articles if any. The thing about this format versus other formats is that you have to continue to monitor players values who aren't on your team. Therefore, having an understanding of who the best / safest players are at every position every week is still very important as they could end up on your waiver wire that week. Whereas most other leagues, no one cares about non-waiver wire players since they aren't very obtainable. For example, last year Kupp, Chase, Renfrow had values that widely fluctuated from draft to waiver wire. There were certainly many players drafted ahead of those guys that weren't worth as much but assessing their value became difficult. Also, the difficulty was assessing values of guys whose RB ahead of them dropped out or values of guys like James Connor when Chase Edmonds went down. Value fluctuates very much each week which a proper understanding would be great not only for guillotine, but all formats.

Last edited:
anyone doing guillotine league this year? Hopefully you all get a chance to join a league. I’m doing two this year personally. A lot of fun, happy to answer any one’s questions who is on the fence.
Saw the format looked fun last year so got 17 other guys for a private league on Guillotine.com to try it out and the draft starts tomorrow morning. I'm at pick #11. Listened through this year's "Chopped" podcast episodes so I think I have a little bit of an idea of how to approach. I think a lot of the guys haven't played it before so the draft may be hard to predict.

Kamara went early, so I went with Kelce at 15. He's been a cheat code the past few years. Hoping he stays that way obviously. Second round got me Aaron Jones. Really thought hard about CeeDee Lamb, but decided to go with the RB in this format. There won't be a decent one when I pick again in the 3rd.

A little past halfway on my first ever guillotine draft, picking at 1.11. It's been pretty interesting / frustrating with the added considerations of weighing earlier games / points more heavily and trying NOT to stack and evenly distribute bye weeks when possible. I would be happier had I not been the next pick after the end of a tier a couple times and sniped a couple others. I'm sure I made some mistakes and will have some regerts but here's what I have so far, interested in your suggestions for filling the last 6 spots:

QB - None yet, I planned to go late QB, hopefully get enough to survive and bid on them later
RB - Javonte Williams (9), AJ Dillon (14), Kenneth Gainwell (7) - Not ideal, but should have decent steady role and some upside
WR - Brandin Cooks (6), Elijah Moore (10), DeVonta Smith (7), Russell Gage (11)
TE - Travis Kelce (8)

What do you think? Who / what should I target with my last 6 picks?

A little past halfway on my first ever guillotine draft, picking at 1.11. It's been pretty interesting / frustrating with the added considerations of weighing earlier games / points more heavily and trying NOT to stack and evenly distribute bye weeks when possible. I would be happier had I not been the next pick after the end of a tier a couple times and sniped a couple others. I'm sure I made some mistakes and will have some regerts but here's what I have so far, interested in your suggestions for filling the last 6 spots:

QB - None yet, I planned to go late QB, hopefully get enough to survive and bid on them later
RB - Javonte Williams (9), AJ Dillon (14), Kenneth Gainwell (7) - Not ideal, but should have decent steady role and some upside
TE - Travis Kelce (8)

144 players taken and still 108 more to go. Here's where you separate the men from the boys!

144 players taken and still 108 more to go. Here's where you separate the men from the boys!
Getting into the endgame, where would you go with the next pick? (I'm OTC!) Hit up another QB right away since I was just the last to take one and only have Famous Jameis? Remaining starting options are: D Jones, Mills, Goff, Wentz, Z Wilson (out W1?), Mariota, Trubisky, Brissett, Geno, Flacco. Or pass for a position player and hope a 2nd backup QB option makes it back after 20 other picks?

Interesting best available position players that may be available: WanDale, Golladay, Nico, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Robert Tonyan, Hayden Hurst, Spiller, Chuba, Haskins, Mike Davis, Burkhead, etc.

What do you guys look to take with your last few picks that you are most likely dropping for FA's next week?

QB - Jameis Winston (14) @ ATL Week 1
RB - Javonte Williams (9), AJ Dillon (14), Kenneth Gainwell (7)
TE - Travis Kelce (8)

Let's get some guillotine discussion going. :wink:
@Hurl Bruce @Leroy Hoard @tigerz @TheWinz

Last edited:
Getting into the endgame, where would you go with the next pick? (I'm OTC!) Hit up another QB right away since I was just the last to take one and only have Famous Jameis? Remaining starting options are: D Jones, Mills, Goff, Wentz, Z Wilson (out W1?), Mariota, Trubisky, Brissett, Geno, Flacco. Or pass for a position player and hope a 2nd backup QB option makes it back after 20 other picks?

Interesting best available position players that may be available: WanDale, Golladay, Nico, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Robert Tonyan, Hayden Hurst, Spiller, Chuba, Haskins, Mike Davis, Burkhead, etc.

What do you guys look to take with your last few picks that you are most likely dropping for FA's next week?

TE - Travis Kelce (8)

Options disappear pretty quickly once your starting lineup is completed (and even before then). In my draft last year I just went with upside guys toward the end, or someone I could hope to get some playing time out of if I needed them the first few weeks.

Trubisky doesn't seem like a bad option at this point.

TE - Travis Kelce (8)

I'm in my 1st ever league and honestly hadn't thought about the need to consider the early part of the schedule. Makes perfect sense, though.

I'm in my 1st ever league and honestly hadn't thought about the need to consider the early part of the schedule. Makes perfect sense, though.
I kept seeing that in the weekly blind bidding for eliminated players that QB's usually go for relatively lower prices than position players. So I'm trying to load up on position players and grab a QB that can at least get me through a few weeks until I can buy a better one from a team that was eliminated for a deal.

I would think it's the opposite of contests. Instead of taking chances and always stacking, maybe diversify and play as many safe floors as possible, at least early in the schedule.

B. Cooks seems to fit the profile.

TE - Travis Kelce (8)

Sorry late reply. Your late round choices are almost always a bust. I want to pick players that I can tell whether they are a hit or a bust immediately and keep bidding on low ww price players. Davis was the best Choice because you got a week 1 starter. Either him or drake are getting a lot of Carries week 1. I personally would have gotten mills since the other qb are garbage.

I would get Tonyan and then doubs because I don’t know for certain who will get volume in gb so just lottery tickets. Usually best with backup rbs since injuries happen often.

TE - Travis Kelce (8)

I look for good handcuffs in case there are some big injuries early on. They're most likely just dead men walking though.

Here is my roster going into week 1:

QB Fields
RB A Jones
RB T Pollard
WR A Robinson
WR B Cooks
WR R Woods
TE T Kelce
Flex K Toney

B JD McKissic
B R White
B Damien Williams
B D Foreman
B D Ogunbowale
B V Jefferson
B B Pringle
B Jonnu Smith

Might need to jump on another QB, so that is my biggest risk heading into the season. Sacrifices needed to be made.

I don't like my roster much, it seemed like I was always a pick or two behind a run or a good player in the draft.
Hopefully I survive for at least a few weeks to be able to make some tweaks.
GuillotineLeague.com has me projected for 120, FBG has me projected for 105.

QB Winston Jameis NO
RB Williams Javonte DEN
RB Dillon AJ GB
WR Cooks Brandin HOU
WR Moore Elijah NYJ
FLEX Smith DeVonta PHI
FLEX Gage Russell TB
TE Kelce Travis KC

QB Goff Jared DET
RB Gainwell Kenneth PHI
RB Williams Darrel ARI
RB Perine Samaje CIN
WR Doubs Romeo GB
TE Likely Isaiah BAL

Any advice on a 2 QB guillotine league? Seems like that would adjust drafting strategy pretty heavily since 2 starting QB's x 18 teams = 36 starting QBs for week 1. I generally subscribe to the philosophy that tiers aren't so steep at QB as compared to other positions and I often like to wait and play the mid-tier or bottom QB1 tier.

But with 2 QB and 18 teams, it Just doesn't feel like you can afford to wait too long on QB and be left with Deshaun Watson and Blaine Gabbert (getting me knocked out Week 1). I'm guessing there will be an early run on QB's and it will be hard not to panic and join in.

Any advice on a 2 QB guillotine league? Seems like that would adjust drafting strategy pretty heavily since 2 starting QB's x 18 teams = 36 starting QBs for week 1. I generally subscribe to the philosophy that tiers aren't so steep at QB as compared to other positions and I often like to wait and play the mid-tier or bottom QB1 tier.

But with 2 QB and 18 teams, it Just doesn't feel like you can afford to wait too long on QB and be left with Deshaun Watson and Blaine Gabbert (getting me knocked out Week 1). I'm guessing there will be an early run on QB's and it will be hard not to panic and join in.

I'd have to agree with that. Might depend on the scoring, but I don't think you can afford to take a blank in that 2nd spot.

I really hope you went early QB. 2 QB leagues, as I understand it, require you to reach for QBs. Having 2 elite QBs is huge. Imagine having Allen + Brady and putting up 60 points in a single week. Compare that to having Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones scoring 30 points... In a 2 QB league, elite QBs will always be in demand because you need 2 and not 1. Plus you'll need an extra for byes so in reality, every 2 QB team needs 3 QBs.

This creates scarcity. Something that never exists in 1 QB guillotine leagues.

Here is my roster going into week 1:

QB Fields
RB A Jones
RB T Pollard
WR A Robinson
WR B Cooks
WR R Woods
TE T Kelce
Flex K Toney

B JD McKissic
B R White
B Damien Williams
B D Foreman
B D Ogunbowale
B V Jefferson
B B Pringle
B Jonnu Smith

Might need to jump on another QB, so that is my biggest risk heading into the season. Sacrifices needed to be made.
Solid team. I like that you got Kelce. Agree with early TE over early QB. McKissic should be solid flex to use over Toney/Woods from time to time. I might go mckissic first week due to uncertainty with Toney. I'm not sure what his floor is. Last year he scored a few zeros.

I don't like my roster much, it seemed like I was always a pick or two behind a run or a good player in the draft.
Hopefully I survive for at least a few weeks to be able to make some tweaks.
GuillotineLeague.com has me projected for 120, FBG has me projected for 105.

QB Winston Jameis NO
RB Williams Javonte DEN
RB Dillon AJ GB
WR Cooks Brandin HOU
WR Moore Elijah NYJ
FLEX Smith DeVonta PHI
FLEX Gage Russell TB
TE Kelce Travis KC

QB Goff Jared DET
RB Gainwell Kenneth PHI
RB Williams Darrel ARI
RB Perine Samaje CIN
WR Doubs Romeo GB
TE Likely Isaiah BAL

This is not a bad draft. You did well. Winston is one of the latest good QBs I would feel comfortable with. I think he takes a huge step forward this year.

Dillon and Williams, even in committees last year were servicable. If they get the role to themselves then they would be top 5. Cooks is very solid floor and is ideal in this format. I think Moore and Gage will get enough targets to keep you in contention which is what you need. Kelce is also a smart move. Always scarcity at that position.

Gainwell may flex some weeks if he conssitently gets a lot of catches and enough rushes. Doubs also may be playable if Lazard goes out. it's a watch and see situation.

Tips on bidding/faab?

Have 1 league where Kamara and Lamb are now FA’s.

Another where Najee, Kyler Murray, Darren Waller.

1,000$. What’s a reasonable % by position?

Really need Waller in the 1 league. My TE is Albert O.

First year in a guillotine league. Finished right in the middle of the pack week 1, with my WRs (Kupp, Kirk, Boyd, DJ Moore) and TE (Schultz) carrying the load. Very weak at QB (Stafford) and RB (Zeke, JK Dobbins, and McKinnon), but hopefully I have enough to keep me safe for another few weeks.

The team with Josh Allen and Najee Harris was eliminated, so I'm curious how deep into your budget you might go for Allen in my situation. I'm probably not going to win him since I would rather hold onto my budget at this point, but I'm curious if others would act with a big bid.

First year in a guillotine league. Finished right in the middle of the pack week 1, with my WRs (Kupp, Kirk, Boyd, DJ Moore) and TE (Schultz) carrying the load. Very weak at QB (Stafford) and RB (Zeke, JK Dobbins, and McKinnon), but hopefully I have enough to keep me safe for another few weeks.

The team with Josh Allen and Najee Harris was eliminated, so I'm curious how deep into your budget you might go for Allen in my situation. I'm probably not going to win him since I would rather hold onto my budget at this point, but I'm curious if others would act with a big bid.
I listened to a Podcast, they said Rodgers would be 10ish up to 25 if desperate. Would think Allen costs you in that 30-50 range. This assumes 1,000$ FAAB.

Najee scares me. I think he’ll cost you around 100-125. Steelers O-line sucks. He’s got a foot thing. Can’t pull the trigger.

Same thing with Kamara in another league. Probably cost a ton, but he’s got a rib injury. Not sure I’m giving up 10-15% of my budget for someone that’s already got a nagging problem.

Anyone have insight/thoughts on bidding on players from the chopped team? In the 12 team Scott Fish chop league and the first team has been chopped leaving Mark Andrews and Ekeler as the two big names. Wondering how much of a 1000 budget you might want to bid on Andrews or Ekeler. I am thinking that I'll probably pass on both and see the results so I have a better idea next week. And hoping I can get some others off the waiver wire for cheap as the chopped guys draw all the attention. Interested in others thoughts or experience on bidding on the chopped stars

Anyone have insight/thoughts on bidding on players from the chopped team? In the 12 team Scott Fish chop league and the first team has been chopped leaving Mark Andrews and Ekeler as the two big names. Wondering how much of a 1000 budget you might want to bid on Andrews or Ekeler. I am thinking that I'll probably pass on both and see the results so I have a better idea next week. And hoping I can get some others off the waiver wire for cheap as the chopped guys draw all the attention. Interested in others thoughts or experience on bidding on the chopped stars
Check out Chop the guillotine league podcast. That’s the best info I’ve found. They ran through the top 10 most cut players.

Kamara was one, they recommended 75-125 for him depending on how desparate you are at RB. I think this was before talk of the rib injury came out. Extrapolate from that, Maybe closer to 100-150 for Ekeler.

They recommended 80-100 on Pitts. So Andrews probably over 100.

Results are in -- Ekeler went for 800! Next highest on him was 350. A bit of an overbid there. Andrews went for 230, next highest was 190. Quite a bit different than what the pod cast suggested/indicated. I put in a 20 bid for JK Dobbins and he went for 25.

Results are in -- Ekeler went for 800! Next highest on him was 350. A bit of an overbid there. Andrews went for 230, next highest was 190. Quite a bit different than what the pod cast suggested/indicated. I put in a 20 bid for JK Dobbins and he went for 25.
Bidding in my new league with players with little to no experience was more conservative than I expected but I'm pretty sure at least a few guys don't even understand the mechanics of bidding yet. Here are the results for the main guys:
Alvin Kamara - $200.00 (Next - $127)
CeeDee Lamb - $100.00 (Next - $64)
Russell Wilson - $85.00 (Next - $62)
Courtland Sutton - $75.00 (Next - $71)
Chase Edmonds - $51.00 (Next - $25)
Hunter Renfrow - $22.00 (Next - $16)

My team seems like it's in decent shape (came in 3rd with 118 points) so I threw out low bids on all of these guys since I wasn't too excited about any of them and only came close on Renfrow, I was next highest.

The same team bought all three of Kamara, Lamb, and Sutton for $375 total.

I’m in 2. One with Friends, 20$ a pop.

One is a charity league this guy in my Scott Fish Bowl division opened up to help with Eastern KY Flood relief. They got a bunch of celebrities in. Mike Clay from ESPN is in mine.

Charity league:
Gabe Davis went for $587. Yup.
Kamara went for 101$
ETN 109$
Jeff Wilson 71$
Mike Williams 53$
Ceedee 13$
Goedert 44$

Friend’s $$ league:
Kyler: 250$
Najee: 200$
Lamb 126$
Waller: 125$. (I bid 41 lol).
Samuel 50$
Dontrell Hilliard 50$
Duverney25$
Pierce 25$

Maybe should have bid more this week. Sitting at only 77.04 with only "Mr. Goose Egg" DeVonta Smith to go. Good thing I started Goff over Jameis or I'd probably be done instead of having a chance.

Only two teams projected to finish lower than me:
56.00 + Singletary + Knox
53.50 + JJ

Probably a lot of people without a ton of Guillotine league experience.

Admittedly, this is my year doing this. But the gist of it from what I've read and heard across multiple sites is you want to have the most money come mid-late season. Teams that bid a ton of money can turn around and lose, and you're suddenly in a spot to get those players at a lower price.

That being said, there are probably situations/times where you fire the bullet. Dude in my league has one of the stronger teams on paper with Mahommes, Taylor, Javonte, Lamb--and he's projected to be the lowest by a decent bit. Going to be hard not to drop big $$ on Mahommes and Taylor.

Last edited:
Mahomes and Taylor are up this week. Been streaming qbs and will continue to do so probably. May bid on Taylor.
My first time doing this but I think of those two, and JJ that just got chopped in my league, as "end game" type guys that you would roster through week 17 regardless of who else is available and for that reason I think I'd bid more for them than replaceable guys.

Mahomes and Taylor are up this week. Been streaming qbs and will continue to do so probably. May bid on Taylor.
My first time doing this but I think of those two, and JJ that just got chopped in my league, as "end game" type guys that you would roster through week 17 regardless of who else is available and for that reason I think I'd bid more for them than replaceable guys.
Yeah this. My first year doing one of these and it's fun as hell. Love the strategy about when to bid and how to wisely budget your money. I agree wholeheartly with this. There are about 12-15 guys that deserve high bids regardless when they come available.

Missed out on Henry last week, scored Conner instead and now looks like he's toast.

Jefferson will be available this week, considering blowing it up for him.

I will be terrible at TE (Albert O, Hill, Brate) and Brady hasn't been up to snuff QB-wise, but I'd have great WRs that'd get me by each week (Diggs, St. Brown, Mike Williams -- and maybe Jefferson?)

Edit - went with a big bid for JJ, backup bids on AJ Brown, Breece Hall and Tony Pollard. Also trying to upgrade to Tyler HIgbee at TE.

My team is pretty weak right now. I just can't get myself to pay what some of these players are going for. I'd rather just save my money and play the odds that some other team is just going to have a bad week instead of blowing my FAAB in week 2 or 3.

League 1: same guy paid $275 for AJ Brown and $260 for Henry.

Mike Evans went for $75.

I paid 31 for Ertz. Next highest bid was 1 lol. But Albert O is giving me nothing at the TE spot. Felt like I really needed a reliable starter.

League 2:
Adams 269. I had the next highest bid at 101, which is what Kamara went for a week ago. I’m doing well at WR, but felt like the upgrade Adams brings was worth the $101. Completely ok with someone dropping $269.

Cook went for $260. Hasn’t looked good so far. Will probably figure it out, but not a situation I’m breaking the bank for.

Kamara $76. I was the next highest at 61$. I wouldn’t have minded getting for $80. I’m worried the rib injury could linger and keep him from reaching his ceiling. But at 77$, I probably don’t mind the risk so much.

I finished 3/18 in week 1 but 12/17 in week 2, projected to finish 12/16 this week.
I put in some conservative bids this week on six of these guys but missed on all of them.

Justin Jefferson, WR (MIN) $406.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Justin Jefferson, WR (MIN) $400.00

Melvin Gordon, RB (DEN) $200.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Melvin Gordon, RB (DEN) $23.00

Tony Pollard, RB (DAL) $190.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Tony Pollard, RB (DAL) $176.00

Tom Brady, QB (TB) $153.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Tom Brady, QB (TB) $10.00

Keenan Allen, WR (LAC) $107.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Keenan Allen, WR (LAC) $101.00

Noah Brown, WR (DAL) $50.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Noah Brown, WR (DAL) $6.00

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB (SF) $31.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid Jimmy Garoppolo, QB (SF) $27.00

DeAndre Hopkins, WR (ARI) $6.00 Player Added
Next Highest Bid DeAndre Hopkins, WR (ARI) $3.00

Irv Smith, TE (MIN) $6.00 Player Added
Jordan Mason, RB (SF) $3.00 Player Added
Malik Willis, QB (TEN) $2.00 Player Added
Mac Jones, QB (NE) $1.00 Player Added
Dontrell Hilliard, RB (TEN) $1.00 Player Added
Greg Dortch, WR (ARI) $1.00 Player Added

Some of these prices are too low for too early. If you can have a top 5 wr for less than 300 I suggest you take it. That’s severely underpriced. At best last year i think lamb was 100 and chase was 70 for me weeks 10 through 13. In week 14 it cost like 30 bucks for hill or diggs. If your league is patient and saves money then it may be a long time until prices drop to the low 100s and down. Any good wr at 100 is reasonable. They will allow you to survive and maybe they blow up later.

If you can get a top 10 rb for less than 100 of course you take that if you got 1k faab. There’s like 5 elite rbs. With 15 teams left how could every team not need them? They are sleeping. Rbs never dropped lower than 200 for me last year until like the last week when they were 60 for mixon. Mostly it was down to 100 to 150 which was not that much lower than 200. Usually it was one rb drops a week for 300 to 400. Don’t save money just to save money. If the security guard is a sleep then you should rob the bank and not wait till everyone wakes up.

You will have to spend during bye weeks. I’d rather spend 80 on Kamara now then spend 130 on Raheem mostert in week 7 cause I need a bye week filler.

Last edited:
Why (in NFC/SportsHub) leagues are players dropped during Wednesday FAAB claims locked and not eligible for pickup on Saturday’s FAAB claim?

Seems unnecessary to lock a player for an entire week just because they are dropped. The whole point of the 2nd claim on Saturday is to give all teams an equal shot at available players.

Is this specific to the site, or common with most guillotine leagues?

Users who are viewing this thread