What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guys with Stay at Home Mom's for Wive's (2 Viewers)

How the hell do you keep their spending in check?  I make less than the typical FBG, so I deposit $750/month into her checking account so she has her "own" money.  She pays no bills, yet she continually has credit card bills over $1,000 and continues to say she doesn't spend any money and there's no where to cut back.  She just bought our son like $500 in bedding from Pottery Barn, she spends like $165 to get her hair done, buys all her jeans from Nordstrom, etc...

How do I control this stuff without being a total d!ck, and with her hardly noticing my effort to curb the spending?
Have a budget. Stick to it. Pretty damn simple.

If that doesn't work, there are probably other issues that need to be dealt with that are the root cause of the spending.

Slap it high. Fellow stay at home. 

Im guessing your kids are older cause I'm not hitting many golf courses during the day. 
sophomore, freshman, 7th grader.....kick out of the house to school and then off to the course....

i roll home around 4 430 and start some supper...

wife comes home and then i play xbox...

Sounds like it is time to get your women in line. I have my AMEX set up so I get an email every time the wife uses it.  If she is buying worthless crap I know instantly.

Is this something new, the over spending? Or did this start when she was actively battling cancer? I know I've gone a bit nuts on some things beyond my budget as a sort of reward for doing this damn thing by myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad I found a good one. Frugal, simple, and hard working. She's not perfect but I'd much rather deal with crappy taste in TV (Chopped every Fn night) than any kind of financial/budget BS. 
I put up with her watching every single real housewives entity because she doesn't blow my dough.  That's some disgusting tv. It's embarrassing

I too make less than a typical FBG and had the wife stay at home. No matter how many times l created a budget and openly discussed financezswith her she could never stop spending like we had won the lottery. I even picked up a second job to try to keep up but that only accelerated her spending.  

After almost 2 decades of scraping by paycheck to paycheck she divorced me taking full child support and alimony, getting more than half my paycheck leaving me 10's of thousands of dollars in debt. I'm living in a less than 600sq/ft apartment working 2 jobs while she doesnt work and has taken my kids hundreds of miles away to live in a 500k house her parents bought her.

She won't pay me the tens of thousands the court ordered her to pay me, but she and the kids are driving brand new vehicles thanks to her parents. You are already ####ed and can look forward to losing almost everything you own and paying thousands to a lawyer who can't help you. Sorry.
:(

I was lucky enough to marry a woman that not only wanted to stay home, but also didn't want to do any house cleaning.  Let's just say I can't wait until the divorce is final. 

For my next go-round, I'm going to make sure I marry someone with their own career and press for separate finances.    
This is the way to go.  My wife works and we keep separate money.  We do have one joint account where I put in 2/3 of the money for the kids stuff.  I make a good deal more and that's why the ratio is that way.  That said, my wife is good with money.  This wouldn't work if she wasn't.  The problem is that if you marry someone who is a financial trainwreck, there isn't some system you can put in place to fix it.  She's gonna drag you down with her.

Seriously you should buy quicken and make a budget.

Secondly use a cash system with envelopes where you have the budgeted categories separated and she is locked into what she can spend.

I too make less than a typical FBG and had the wife stay at home. No matter how many times l created a budget and openly discussed financezswith her she could never stop spending like we had won the lottery. I even picked up a second job to try to keep up but that only accelerated her spending.  

After almost 2 decades of scraping by paycheck to paycheck she divorced me taking full child support and alimony, getting more than half my paycheck leaving me 10's of thousands of dollars in debt. I'm living in a less than 600sq/ft apartment working 2 jobs while she doesnt work and has taken my kids hundreds of miles away to live in a 500k house her parents bought her.

She won't pay me the tens of thousands the court ordered her to pay me, but she and the kids are driving brand new vehicles thanks to her parents. You are already ####ed and can look forward to losing almost everything you own and paying thousands to a lawyer who can't help you. Sorry.

was chatting with an old friend yesterday

has 2 kids. few years back he gets an email, at work, from his wife

"(husband) i'm pregnant but you probably already noticed. it's not yours. i'm leaving today. i've already packed my stuff and the kid's. we're going to live with (the new dad)."

at the time he was battling cancer and had been in and out of the hospital. he was working a good job, she was.... doing nothing.... at all. she'd run up huge debts that he couldn't keep up with on top of the hospital bills.

she took all his ####, her ####, car, everything. he got ####### destroyed by the judge and pays child support out his ###. while struggling to pull himself together he got nicked with a DUI which cost him the beater he was driving, access to his kids and his job because he couldn't even get dispensation to drive there. 

5 years+ on he said to me yesterday "best thing that has ever happened to me... i was ####### miserable being with her. it cost me a lot but i'm almost out of debt, i get to see my kids half the time now and i'm finally happy just being me"

moral of the story: ####### #### just ####

sophomore, freshman, 7th grader.....kick out of the house to school and then off to the course....

i roll home around 4 430 and start some supper...

wife comes home and then i play xbox...
No chance in hell I would ever be financially dependent on my wife.  Do you get an allowance?  How do you scratch the itch to succeed and compete (and please don't say golf).  If it works for you good for you I guess.

No chance in hell I would ever be financially dependent on my wife.  Do you get an allowance?  How do you scratch the itch to succeed and compete (and please don't say golf).  If it works for you good for you I guess.
I wonder if she expects him to :P V :P when she gets home from work each day.

competed and succeeded for 17 years in the financial services biz....i'm just enjoying life now...don't need an allowance...

I wonder if she expects him to :P V :P when she gets home from work each botcj day.
You know when she talks to her gal pas she's like, "that man of mine better have me a hot meal on the table when I get home, and he better :P  like there's no tomorrow when he puts the kids to bed or I'm cutting off his ####### daily golf.  Also ##### better make a ####### sandwich.

You know when she talks to her gal pas she's like, "that man of mine better have me a hot meal on the table when I get home, and he better :P  like there's no tomorrow when he puts the kids to bed or I'm cutting off his ####### daily golf.  Also ##### better make a ####### sandwich.
and what is wrong with this...

competed and succeeded for 17 years in the financial services biz....i'm just enjoying life now...don't need an allowance...
More power to you.  I work for myself.  The day I get tired of it and sell the business that's the plan here as well.

But to be fair, having a successful career and making enough money so one day you can say, "Eff it....I don't want to work anymore", while you happen to be married to a wife that works....

Isn't the same thing as true, stay at home dad in traditional sense. 

It's more like you are retired, than a stay at home dad.

Used to have this problem too. She doesn't have an ATM card, I'll give her when she asks. She's on our bank account, but I've conditioned her that it is there strictly for deposits.

For our Amex, she has a monthly limit. It simply gets declined if she exceeds.
We talking about your wife or your kid?

But to be fair, having a successful career and making enough money so one day you can say, "Eff it....I don't want to work anymore", while you happen to be married to a wife that works....

Isn't the same thing as true, stay at home dad in traditional sense. 

It's more like you are retired, than a stay at home dad.

True I'm wrist deep in diapers everyday now that's a stay at home. 

By the way to add to my previous sob story here is some background. I moved to my wife's state when we got engaged. Due to that she made more money and benefits than me. With arrival of first child we agreed she would be a stay at home mom which meant no cable, free money, or retirement savings. We agreed that when the kids were all in school we would both work and max savings.

Over the nearly 2 decades we were married l got promotion after promotion tripling out income but she kept outspending it. Finally after 17 years the light at the end of the tunnel was close. Our youngest and final child was starting school.

That's when she informed me she never wanted to work again and filed for divorce. Used me like the insects that lay their larva on living creatures so they can feed upon them to grow. Hope your situation is different but please protect yourself. Good luck!

I'm competing to do as little work as possible and define success as having as much money as people who work much harder than me. Also, outliving them.

The problem is that if you marry someone who is a financial trainwreck, there isn't some system you can put in place to fix it.  She's gonna drag you down with her.
Absolutely true! I've learned, the absolute hardest way possible, that there are certainly different levels of train wreck though.

Years ago while still young and living on an E5 Navy salary, my ex mentioned that we needed a few groceries. It was only 3 or 4 days from payday, and there was only a hundred or so in the account. I said sure, but there's only a hundred there, so just get what we need for the next 2 or 3 days. She came home hours later with $400 worth of groceries. That should have clued me in. It was only one of hundreds of checks she'd bounce over the next several years. I had a car repo'd and a house foreclosed on during a year when our combined taxable income was higher than it had ever been before....or since. She was charged $4000 in overdraft fees...in ONE YEAR! 

My current wife acts like she's frugal. She will shop thrift stores. She'll see a steal and buy it just to resell it online and make a couple of dollars. She's a cheap date and doesn't spend much time in pricy stores. In 7 years together, I think she's bounced two checks...both honest mistakes. She's perfectly willing to compromise and can put off a purchase when necessary. BUT...she can't save. If a hundred bucks is sitting around unspent...she can and will spend it. After disaster #1, wife #2 is far easier to live with. Even my credit has (finally) recovered :)

I've tried a dozen different systems with both wives. Allowances don't work. But the first was a full blown hurricane, the second a spring shower.

So glad my wife isn't a spender.  Have friends where every freakin' day UPS is showing up with another shoe delivery.  No thanks.  

proninja said:
You seem a little insecure to be a sahd. Better keep working. 
Insecure because I'd prefer to be the provider for the family?  Men have had that role for as long as we've been here you know.  And if it works for him fine, just saying I would have trouble with it and I would at the very least work part time so I could generate my own spending cash.

But whatever, everyone's different, if his family is happy, good for them

How the hell do you keep their spending in check?  I make less than the typical FBG, so I deposit $750/month into her checking account so she has her "own" money.  She pays no bills, yet she continually has credit card bills over $1,000 and continues to say she doesn't spend any money and there's no where to cut back.  She just bought our son like $500 in bedding from Pottery Barn, she spends like $165 to get her hair done, buys all her jeans from Nordstrom, etc...

How do I control this stuff without being a total d!ck, and with her hardly noticing my effort to curb the spending?
This strikes me as odd. Why tip-toe around the issue? Confront it. Lay down boundaries and consequences, and let the chips fall where they may.

These freaking stories about wives that spend have me completely terrified.  
It does amaze me so many people on this board allow them to get away with it.  I would take them off the credit card, take them off the checking account, etc.  If they can't act like an adult you need to treat them like an immature child.  

It does amaze me so many people on this board allow them to get away with it.  I would take them off the credit card, take them off the checking account, etc.  If they can't act like an adult you need to treat them like an immature child.  
This sounds like the definition of easier said than done.  

It's got to be about a shared vision. Talking individual behavior is rarely inspirational. Because we can always justify specific decisions. But setting goals that you both hold and keeping each other accountable to those will be more effective. 

Well, a marriage is a partnership built on several key items of trust, money is one of those key items.

If one person can't trust the other in regards money, then one if the foundations of your marriage is broken. You can either fix it or end it, but ignoring it or soft pedalling it won't make it better and your marriage is basically broken.

Chose wisely.

So glad my wife isn't a spender.  Have friends where every freakin' day UPS is showing up with another shoe delivery.  No thanks.  
Probably because you wanted it that way. I think the guys in this situation out-kicked their coverage in terms of looks and are now seeing the consequences.

Um...tell her that if she wants to be a stay at home mom in the future she needs to cut back...otherwise she can join the ranks of the working mothers.

There are certainly times where I think my wife made an unnecessary purchase, but good lord it's nothing compared to most of what's being suggested in this thread.  Thanks for the reminder that my wife is pretty cool. 

Probably because you wanted it that way. I think the guys in this situation out-kicked their coverage in terms of looks and are now seeing the consequences.
No, pretty sure I out kicked my coverage as well.  Not sure what you mean by your first sentence - who doesn't want their wife's spending in check?

My current wife acts like she's frugal. She will shop thrift stores. She'll see a steal and buy it just to resell it online and make a couple of dollars. She's a cheap date and doesn't spend much time in pricy stores. In 7 years together, I think she's bounced two checks...both honest mistakes. She's perfectly willing to compromise and can put off a purchase when necessary. BUT...she can't save. If a hundred bucks is sitting around unspent...she can and will spend it. After disaster #1, wife #2 is far easier to live with. Even my credit has (finally) recovered.
Hopefully that thought helps you along when you are 70 and still working because you have no retirement savings.

Insecure because I'd prefer to be the provider for the family?  Men have had that role for as long as we've been here you know.  And if it works for him fine, just saying I would have trouble with it and I would at the very least work part time so I could generate my own spending cash.

Are we sure ydoc still isn't the major provider?

Lol, spoken like a person who has never faced that situation. Your logical solution does not work on women who have fatal flaws. Not everything is black and white. It's like telling an addict to just stop, not that easy. Sometimes people change and you are just screwed.

No, pretty sure I out kicked my coverage as well.  Not sure what you mean by your first sentence - who doesn't want their wife's spending in check?
Point I was making is that most guys with high spending wives knew that she was a spender prior to getting married. 

Do you live in a state that compels SAHM to get a job as part of a divorce?  Start browsing the topic on your home computer, deliberately leaving the search term and read links in the history.  Let her stumble upon it.   :stirspot:

She keeps spending because she knows you have another account to bail her out.  You need to somehow show her the money isn't there in the other account.  Open another bank account, move money around, take it out and put it in a safe deposit, etc.  Just show her there isn't as much money as she thinks in the other account.

If you need to kick it up a notch we can start having FBGs call the housepretending to be creditors for unpaid bills.

Question to the original poster:

What type of financial situation are her parents in?  Retired and comfy, sitting on a fat nest egg?  Or is the FIL still working at 67-68, watching the MIL spend money they don't have?

My EX wife?  Had us 20k+ in credit card debt and she was working full time. It was a big chunk of the tension in our marriage. Her poor Dad is still working and he'll be 70 in December and her Mom gets a brand new car every couple years.  

If your wife just doesn't care about any mutually shared long term vision/goals, get out now. A "budget" or allowance isn't gonna work. 

James Daulton said:

The bolded is a fallacy. Throughout the huge majority of history, providing for the family has been a joint task for couples, except among the very wealthy.

massraider said:
This sounds like the definition of easier said than done.  
Absolutely it is! I've done it before, but having to be bothered with taking care of every tiny household purchase can be almost as big a nightmare.

DallasDMac said:
Hopefully that thought helps you along when you are 70 and still working because you have no retirement savings.
I've been slowly upping my 401K contributions without her being remotely aware ;)

It won't be enough, but I'm not ignoring the problem either...and she's (slowly) getting better

As another backstory to my tale of woe, when ebay first starting getting big I dabbled in it starting with $15. I would buy undervalued items, write extensive auctions descriptions and take tons of photos and relist them. With small children the only time I had to do this was from 10pm to midnight when everyone else was asleep. After a few months I had amassed a decent sum of cash that my wife did not know about. I really wanted to use it to dig out of some of the debt she had racked up but felt guilty doing it behind her back.

Instead of paying debt I decided to come clean and surprise her with the money. It was only 3k, but at the time our annual income was only about 24k. I got a babysitter for the kids and planned a rare night out at a nice restaurant. Afraid that she might start crying with joy I told her in the car on the way there to avoid a scene at the restaurant.

"You know how I have been staying up at nights? Well I haven't been playing computer games. I've been on ebay buying and selling". At that point I dropped an envelope with 3k in her lap and said she could spend half on anything she wanted.

There were plenty of tears, but not joy, anger. She couldn't understand how I could keep this from her and she felt so betrayed. We never made the reservations and when home in silence instead. The next day I got the cold shoulder routine until she left the house leaving me to watch the kids. When she arrived home later that evening she forgave me, turns out she spent 4k on "things we've been needing". That is when I knew I was screwed, but with 3 young kids nothing to do but try to ride it out as long as possible. We had been married 7 years at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread