What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Had my 12 Team Live Draft lastnight (1 Viewer)

I had my live draft lastnight and wanted to share a few thoughts. This isn't a rate my team, just wanted to share this for those drafting this weekend ( not that it'll really benefit you ) First off the rules...

1Pt every 25 yards passing, 1pt every 10yds rushing & receiving. TD's are 6 pts and you get 2pt bonus for TD's 50-75yds and 4pt bonus 75+ ( That applies to QB/RB/WR/TE ) and it's a PPR.

17 Rds - Start a QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/K/D/Flex

Anyways I landed the #9 pick. This league is notorious for going RB heavy. I liked 7RB's and was hoping 1 would fall to me. Of course that didn't happen which was ok as I wanted to apply the "Upside Down" approach.

Rd1 - Andre Johnson - This was an easy pick as he was my #1WR ranked.

picks 1-8 = Peterson, Rice, Foster, CJ3, Charles, Mendenhall, McCoy, Vick = 1 thru 8

Rd2 - Larry Fitzgerald - After picking Andre Johnson I was totally committed to the next best WR available plus I wasn't a fan of the RB's available. I think a spot of drool fell on my cheatsheet as I looked at the Johnson/Fitzgerald duo.

picks 1.10 thru 2.2 = Roddy White, Brady, MJD, Turner, Gore, Megatron

Rd3 - Mark Ingram - I was very tempted to take another WR here but as of this moment there were 17RBs gone and I knew 1 guy was a Saints fan picking after me so I didn't want to chance it plus there were WR's I still liked for the swing.

Top 17 RB's gone were AD, Rice, CJ3, Foster, Mendenhall, Charles,McCoy, MJD, Turner, Hillis, McFadden, Blount, Felix, Bradshaw, Forte, SJax, Gore ( not in exact order )

Rd4 - Tony Romo - 7QB's were off the board & there was no way in my mind I could pass on Romo.

QB's taken = Vick, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees ( again not in exact order )

Rd5 - Santonio Holmes - Really? Although I wanted a RB I couldnt believe Holmes was still there. People made some dumb WR picks before me & he was WR#20! Tons of groans when I took him as a couple guys couldn't believe they passed on him. Thanks idiots...

WRs taken - AJ/Roddy/Megatron/Fitz/Wayne/Jennings/Nicks/VJax/Bowe/Miles/Wallace/DeSean/Marshall/Welker/Williams/Lloyd/Manningham/Dez/Percy

Rd6 - Marshawn Lynch - I needed to focus on RB's now for obvious reasons & really liked Lynch to begin with.

Hightower was there as well but I felt more comfortable with Marshawn. THT went 2 picks after I took Lynch.

Rd 7 - Joseph Addai - I was targeting Fred Jackson here but he went right before me. I was glad Addai was still on the board. I got alot of "He's done" comments but Rd7 was worth it IMO.

Cedric Benson was another guy I was targeting although I am not gaga for him but he went before Fred Jackson anyways.

Rd 8 - Brandon Jacobs - Again, gotta add to my RB Stable. I was very happy with this pick, although not sexy at this point I started to feel better about my RB's.

I considered TE for a slight second but the top guys were gone and knew Jacobs would have never made it back to me. I also knew I was waiting on a WR.

Rd 9 - Mike Tolbert - Very happy he was there as he was my last roster spot for RBs and makes for a nice RB5.

I still havent drafted my last WR, backup QB, any TEs, D's or K's but to me Tolbert was the no brainer pick.

Rd 10 - Joe Flacco - Probably the dumbest pick of my draft. He was the #15QB off the board. I was about to take NYJ D but they went right before me.

Same bye as Romo = why it was a dumb pick but I'll play the waiver wire or include him in a trade I make.

Rd 11 - Aaron Hernandez - I took him as the #13 TE off the board. Still have my eyes on Kendricks but I can wait right?

Gates, Witten, Finley, Vernon, Daniels, Clark, Gronkowski, K2, Lewis, Graham, Pettigrew, Gonzo were the TE's taken prior to me picking Hernandez.

Rd 12 - Lion Defense - I thought about WR here but I liked plenty that I felt one could be had later so let the DTBC begin.

I took Det as the 11th defense off the board

Rd 13 - Jared Cook - So much for waiting on Kendricks lol. He went in Rd 12. I'm ok with the Hernandez/Cook duo.

Still waiting on my WR4 and Titans D

Rd 14 - Titans D - Cook then Titans D? Run on Titans!! Wanted to pair them with the Lions D

DTBC complete, WR4 still waiting....

Rd 15 - Alex Henery - Run on kickers which was fine but no one was taking him.

I had him as my #4 ranked Kicker so said efff it. Still no WR#4

Rd 16 - Antonio Brown - Hey look at that, WR4 has arrived. Denarious Moore, Greg Little went back 2 back right before me and of course those were the 2 guys I had on my radar. Damn you Alex Henery!!!! Still like Brown's upside though.

Rd 17 - Shaun Suisham - Backup Kicker, nuff said.

Roster

QB - Tony Romo/Joe Flacco

RB - Mark Ingram/Marshawn Lynch/Joseph Addai/Brandon Jacobs/Mike Tolbert

WR - Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Santonio Holmes/Antonio Brown

TE - Aaron Hernandez/Jared Cook

K - Alex Henery/Shaun Suisham

D - Lions/Titans

So thats it, glad I didn't give in to the fantasy football peer pressure of having to take a RB in RD 1/2 or if you don't you cant have a good team b/c lack of star power at the RB position. Everyone has their own strategy which is fine & I respect that but to hear people standing at the draft board analyzing teams and pointing to mine & saying "he has no stud RB's so I'm glad he is in my division" makes me laugh. Anyways, like I previously mentioned...I dont know if this sheds any insight for those drafting this weekend but figured I'd share anyways. GL to those drafting!

Respectable team, but I don't know why you were so committed to a WR in round 2. You had the #1WR in round 1. You only start 2 WR (though can use one in a flex). McFadden was there in your lap in the 2nd and you passed on him for Fitzgerald. That pigeonholed you to take a RB no matter what in round 3. Then you felt the QB pressure and took Romo. I think if you would have went WR/RB you would have had much more flexibility and could have been proactive vs. reactive.

Respectable team, but I don't know why you were so committed to a WR in round 2. You had the #1WR in round 1. You only start 2 WR (though can use one in a flex). McFadden was there in your lap in the 2nd and you passed on him for Fitzgerald. That pigeonholed you to take a RB no matter what in round 3. Then you felt the QB pressure and took Romo. I think if you would have went WR/RB you would have had much more flexibility and could have been proactive vs. reactive.
:goodposting: Are you required to take 2 TEs 2 K and 2 DEF?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ingram flops, you are in big trouble. I was in the 8 hole (PPR) and look at the contrast by taking a RB in 1 or 2:

Mendy

Mega

DJax

Welker

Ingram

Hightower

Ryan

BJGE

Starks

Burleson

Nelson

Hernandez

Kendricks

@Judge - McFadden was someone I did briefly consider there when looking over my list, actually the only RB I would have taken over that WR but weighing him vs Fitzgerald I felt like Fitz is a cant miss ( injuries can happen to anyone of course ) whereas I don't have full confidence in McFadden ( matter of personal opinion ). As for Romo, to me I had him ranked very high & although I could have waited on a Stafford type guy ( Ryan was the only QB taken after I took Romo until my next pick ) it just made too much sense for me not to take the QB I had ranked so high. I do understand though what you mean about the WR/RB flexibility. Valid points.

@Pnish - yes we are required to take 2TE/2K/2D

@Bulger - I would of took a RB if my top 7 were available but since they weren't there I went w/ Andre. I would have loved to get 1 of them then followed it up with Fitz. Alot riding on Ingram for sure. Hope he lives up to expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ingram flops, you are in big trouble. I was in the 8 hole (PPR) and look at the contrast by taking a RB in 1 or 2:MendyMegaDJaxWelkerIngram HightowerRyanBJGEStarks BurlesonNelsonHernandezKendricks
Not to hijack but if that's a 12 team league, you killed it. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread