What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Haren traded to D-Backs for 6 players (1 Viewer)

MrPhoenix

Ron Paul Soldier
ESPN reporting it now.

Edit: Also reporting they dealt Jose Valverde to the Astros.

Last edited by a moderator:
*******! No mods ever come in here either so I'll just change my title. Getting Carlos Gonzalez back was good for the A's.

The Valverde trade is weird.

Carlos Gonzalez had 32 BB and 103 SOs in AA last year. Those aren't Moneyball numbers but he's a highly regarded prospect. Brett Anderson is a 19 year old LHP.

This trade may mean the end of the road for Barry Lamar Bonds. The A's look like they're in rebuilding mode. They need an indicted 42 year old DH even less than they did yesterday.

Next baseball season in the Bay Area will be like this football season :bag:

Wow, Diamondbacks are going to be one tough team.

Brandon Webb and Dan Haren 1 and 2, doesn't get much better than that. Probably the best 1 and 2 combo in the majors. Valverde trade was interesting, I guess they are ready to put Pena in as the closer. Getting Qualls back in the deal was huge, he is a solid middle reliever, with a history of consistency that Valverde doesn't. The Backs still have prospects to get other deals done. Maybe go after Joe Nathan?

Beane got some young talent in this deal, no doubt. They got two great lefty starting propects in Anderson, and Greg Smith, who could win a job this year with Oakland. And obviously the key to the deal is Gonzalez, an all world outfield prospect. A's actually got a nice haul here. Chris Carter is not a bad get either, he is a moneyball guy, 20 years old, the Diamondbacks got him from the White Sox in the Quentin deal.

The Diamondbacks really built up the farm over the last couple years. Too be able to make a trade like this and still have the young talent they have is amazing.

why exactly did the As have to deal Haren? Nice prospects but the guy was a top young pitcher signed for a few yrs.....

why exactly did the As have to deal Haren? Nice prospects but the guy was a top young pitcher signed for a few yrs.....
Haren is pretty much at peak trade value. Even if he goes out and has a better 2008 season, he'll be one year closer to free agency. I'd be disappointed if I was an A's fan because it looks like they're going to watch their budget while they play out the string with Oakland. But Billy Beane generally knows what he's doing.

Haren is pretty much at peak trade value. Even if he goes out and has a better 2008 season, he'll be one year closer to free agency. I'd be disappointed if I was an A's fan because it looks like they're going to watch their budget while they play out the string with Oakland. But Billy Beane generally knows what he's doing.
:thumbup: have to agree here. As far as small market teams go the A's are run extremely well. Haren is so injury prone it's a good time to deal him IMO and they got quite a bit back. A's are a year removed from the ALCS and I think this was a good time to make this kind of deal.

Let the wheelin and dealin begin... rumors of my Mets trying to get Blanton for Gomez. No, that wont make me as happy as getting Santana or Haren or Bedard... it would be an improvement.

Wow, Diamondbacks are going to be one tough team. Brandon Webb and Dan Haren 1 and 2, doesn't get much better than that. Probably the best 1 and 2 combo in the majors. Valverde trade was interesting, I guess they are ready to put Pena in as the closer. Getting Qualls back in the deal was huge, he is a solid middle reliever, with a history of consistency that Valverde doesn't. The Backs still have prospects to get other deals done. Maybe go after Joe Nathan?Beane got some young talent in this deal, no doubt. They got two great lefty starting propects in Anderson, and Greg Smith, who could win a job this year with Oakland. And obviously the key to the deal is Gonzalez, an all world outfield prospect. A's actually got a nice haul here. Chris Carter is not a bad get either, he is a moneyball guy, 20 years old, the Diamondbacks got him from the White Sox in the Quentin deal.The Diamondbacks really built up the farm over the last couple years. Too be able to make a trade like this and still have the young talent they have is amazing.
Yeah, I was confused by the Valverde trade. Was Valverde a clubhouse issue? Were they trying to restock the farm after they emptied it in the Haren deal? Who will be their closer?

Let the wheelin and dealin begin... rumors of my Mets trying to get Blanton for Gomez. No, that wont make me as happy as getting Santana or Haren or Bedard... it would be an improvement.
What is it that Gomez does that's good exactly? And where would the A's play him?

Not sure why the A's would want Gomez, especially after they just got a better OF prospect for Haren. I think Beane holds onto Blanton until the trade deadline.

Wow, Diamondbacks are going to be one tough team. Brandon Webb and Dan Haren 1 and 2, doesn't get much better than that. Probably the best 1 and 2 combo in the majors. Valverde trade was interesting, I guess they are ready to put Pena in as the closer. Getting Qualls back in the deal was huge, he is a solid middle reliever, with a history of consistency that Valverde doesn't. The Backs still have prospects to get other deals done. Maybe go after Joe Nathan?Beane got some young talent in this deal, no doubt. They got two great lefty starting propects in Anderson, and Greg Smith, who could win a job this year with Oakland. And obviously the key to the deal is Gonzalez, an all world outfield prospect. A's actually got a nice haul here. Chris Carter is not a bad get either, he is a moneyball guy, 20 years old, the Diamondbacks got him from the White Sox in the Quentin deal.The Diamondbacks really built up the farm over the last couple years. Too be able to make a trade like this and still have the young talent they have is amazing.
Yeah, I was confused by the Valverde trade. Was Valverde a clubhouse issue? Were they trying to restock the farm after they emptied it in the Haren deal? Who will be their closer?
As far as Valverde, I think AZ believes that in addition to the price issue coming in 09, there is a big consistency issue with him...and they feel they have a lot of good arms in the bullpenHaving given up six good prospects for Haren they also viewed this as partial reloading - Qualls has two or three years of contract certainty remaining and has pitched pretty well.Not sure who closes at this point - and doubt they are either, but unless they add someone else, candidates would be Lyon, Pena and Qualls

I love getting Haren.

I am sorry to see Valverde go but his agent has been a pain in the ### for the Dbacks and I doubt Valverde will be able to repeat last season. I will miss him though he is a class act and was a fun guy to have around. I wish we kept Gonzales but that is life. Our farm system is stacked. I hear a lot of people talking as if we just lost our farm system but the fact is we just scratched the surface. A lot of folks dont see to remember that our team is also a lot of young players going into their second year.

Our pitching may be the best in the league now. No one is really counting on Johnson but if he gives us anything we will have an awesome lineup.

Webb

Haren

Johnson

Davis

Owings

The Valverde trade is weird.
D-backs have to be cost-conscious, as they're actually still paying for the World Series win in '01. Yes, seriously.They'll have Qualls under control for 1 year more than they would have had Valverde. Not to say last season was a complete fluke, but even at his best everyone held their breath when Valverde walked into the game. With him talking about wanting a 4 year, $40 million contract, there was no way the D-backs were shelling that out at any point to him, so they traded him when they felt his value was at its peak. Also, they felt this helped them restock to an extent following the Haren deal.So, Qualls will get thrown into the mix with Pena and Lyon. Also, don't be shocked in the least if Max Scherzer gets a look there as well. Melvin was on the radio talking about the quick development of guys like Wainwright and Papelbon as closers the last couple of years. He never came out and said it, but it sounded like he's more than open to that possibility with Scherzer.

Just out of curiosity, how many games does everyone think Arizona will win next year?
85ish...tough tough division. It really depends on if their you kids start hitting. This year was a pretty huge anomaly that I don't see happening again, but they have gotten better...oh and they HAD a good farm system...all the kids are up now or shipped to Oakland.

Just out of curiosity, how many games does everyone think Arizona will win next year?
This team had every break go their way last season. It will be almost impossible for them to duplicate the timeliness of hitting they had all year. Further development of the young players will help, but it's still tough to imagine Reynolds and Young being the big sticks in that lineup on a regular basis. The departure of Tony Clark will not be insignificant. They're going to need Upton to develop very quickly. Still, with Webb-Haren-Davis 1-3, possibly Johnson 4 and Owings 5, their starting pitching should be greatly improved. Their bullpen will be incredibly solid right up to the 9th, with that being a ? now obviously. One of the 4 guys in the mix, though, should be able to fill the closer's position. Right now I'd project about the same as last season. Maybe a moderate improvement, with the starting pitching being better but the wins in 1 run games perhaps taking a slight hit. 93 wins.

Nice haul for the A's
If you believe this, you probably don't believe that Bedard rumors. If either the offer from the Mariners or the offer from the Reds for Bedard ends up happening, I think the A's will look like they gave Haren away by comparison. Although, I'm still skeptical that either the M's or the Reds will pull the trigger to send the lineup of top prospects that I've seen thrown around.Of course that operates on the assumption that you perceive Haren and Bedard to have similar value as I do.

Users who are viewing this thread