What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has a team ever played the Super Bowl....... (1 Viewer)

Ralph Furley

Footballguy
I was just looking at the Hosts for the next three Super Bowls - Dolphin Stadium, Dallas New Stadium & Lucas Oil (Colts) and thought it interesting, specifically Dallas and Indy, hosting the bowl, since IMO, they have SB caliber teams, no offense to Miami.

So this post is a two part question, first is easy, has any team that hosted the SB, either made it or won it? and..........If either team was able to pull it off, ie get to the bowl the year they are the host, how do you think the general public would feel about it? Also, if either team gets there and wins, how do you as the opposing team (fan) feel after the loss? I understand the odds are extremely difficult to get in to begin with and this has been the way since the beginning, but unless there is a true rotation between all teams or a truly neutral site, I feel this could come back to bite the NFL.

The closest team to having a home game was SF winning SB 19 playing in Palo Alto, CA. Other than that, the only other team playing close to home was OAK losing in SD in SB 37 and at the Rams at the Rose Bowl in SB 14.

LINK to all SB sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at the Hosts for the next three Super Bowls - Dolphin Stadium, Dallas New Stadium & Lucas Oil (Colts) and thought it interesting, specifically Dallas and Indy, hosting the bowl, since IMO, they have SB caliber teams, no offense to Miami.So this post is a two part question, first is easy, has any team that hosted the SB, either made it or won it? and..........If either team was able to pull it off, ie get to the bowl the year they are the host, how do you think the general public would feel about it? Also, if either team gets there and wins, how do you as the opposing team (fan) feel after the loss? I understand the odds are extremely difficult to get in to begin with and this has been the way since the beginning, but unless there is a true rotation between all teams or a truly neutral site, I feel this could come back to bite the NFL.
I think this would be a disaster for the community. The SB brings millions of dollars into a local economy; that includes people flying in from both teams. If only one team flies in, needs a room, has to eat out for every meal, etc. it will really hurt the revenue.

closest was SF playing in Standford stadium and the LA rams playing in the rose bowl
I was fortunate enough to attend both of these games. I remember the Rams fans attempting to counter the Terrible Towels with "Rammy Whammy" towels for SB XIV. Pretty sad, looking back on it now. In comparing the two, I remember the Niners having more of a home field advantage than the Rams did.

I was just looking at the Hosts for the next three Super Bowls - Dolphin Stadium, Dallas New Stadium & Lucas Oil (Colts) and thought it interesting, specifically Dallas and Indy, hosting the bowl, since IMO, they have SB caliber teams, no offense to Miami.So this post is a two part question, first is easy, has any team that hosted the SB, either made it or won it? and..........If either team was able to pull it off, ie get to the bowl the year they are the host, how do you think the general public would feel about it? Also, if either team gets there and wins, how do you as the opposing team (fan) feel after the loss? I understand the odds are extremely difficult to get in to begin with and this has been the way since the beginning, but unless there is a true rotation between all teams or a truly neutral site, I feel this could come back to bite the NFL.
I think this would be a disaster for the community. The SB brings millions of dollars into a local economy; that includes people flying in from both teams. If only one team flies in, needs a room, has to eat out for every meal, etc. it will really hurt the revenue.
I've never though of it like that. Makes sense. However, a city gets a huge lift by getting their team to the SB and winning it would certainly go a long way to off-setting the financial hit.

We need some freaking cold Super Bowls sites!!!!
Never will happen. People with money don't want to spend a Super Bowl in the freezing cold weather.
Unfortunately, you guys are both correct.I think a Super Bowl in a huge snowstorm would be awesome though - especially because people with money would be so frazzled about it (and likely wouldn't even bother to show up).

The Cardinals missed it by one season.
If the Steelers played the Cards last season in Phoenix Superbowl, there would have been way more Steeler fans in the stadium than Cards fans anyway, so "home field" advantage wouldn't have mattered.
The home field advantage would be players living, practicing and spending SB week at home, I don't think the ticket distribtion would be that much different.

I was just looking at the Hosts for the next three Super Bowls - Dolphin Stadium, Dallas New Stadium & Lucas Oil (Colts) and thought it interesting, specifically Dallas and Indy, hosting the bowl, since IMO, they have SB caliber teams, no offense to Miami.
Dallas has a SB-caliber team? :popcorn: At least Miami made the playoffs.

I've never though of it like that. Makes sense. However, a city gets a huge lift by getting their team to the SB and winning it would certainly go a long way to off-setting the financial hit.
That's a good point...but IMO it depends on the market.Miami for instance brought 1M people into the area for SB 41. But Miami is a poor sports market, so I don't think a Dolphins win would cancel the lost $$ from the .5M that would not have come from the Colts 'nation'.However, a city like Pittsburgh hosting (who knows) would not bring in as many outside fans...and the Team sales would be much more substantial.

That's a good point...but IMO it depends on the market.Miami for instance brought 1M people into the area for SB 41. But Miami is a poor sports market, so I don't think a Dolphins win would cancel the lost $$ from the .5M that would not have come from the Colts 'nation'.However, a city like Pittsburgh hosting (who knows) would not bring in as many outside fans...and the Team sales would be much more substantial.
For a community, the Super Bowl is about bringing in outside dollars. Local money does not have the same effect because allot of that money would have been spent in the Pittsburg area any way.

For a community, the Super Bowl is about bringing in outside dollars. Local money does not have the same effect because allot of that money would have been spent in the Pittsburg area any way.
True...my comparison was just a SB win by home team vs 2 outside SB teams for the host city.

Capella said:
Never will happen. People with money don't want to spend a Super Bowl in the freezing cold weather.
Detroit.
My brother and I went to Tampa for the Super Bowl this year. He went to the one in Detroit and kept telling me how great the atmosphere was around the stadium and all of the stuff going on and things to do. We didn't get into Tampa until late so we went to Raymond James stadium early on Sunday. There was absolutely nothing going on but we figured it would pick up after lunch. :moneybag: Other than the NFL Experience there wasn't much going on outside of the stadium. No band, no one selling beer, etc. It was pretty dull so we were in the stadium by 3:00 for a 6:30 game.My bro couldn't believe how much better of a show Detroit put on than Tampa.

Godsbrother said:
Detroit.
My brother and I went to Tampa for the Super Bowl this year. He went to the one in Detroit and kept telling me how great the atmosphere was around the stadium and all of the stuff going on and things to do. We didn't get into Tampa until late so we went to Raymond James stadium early on Sunday. There was absolutely nothing going on but we figured it would pick up after lunch. :bow: Other than the NFL Experience there wasn't much going on outside of the stadium. No band, no one selling beer, etc. It was pretty dull so we were in the stadium by 3:00 for a 6:30 game.My bro couldn't believe how much better of a show Detroit put on than Tampa.
I've always said that it's more of a dream to go if the Browns were in the AFC Championship game (especially in Cleveland) than to go to a Super Bowl. I just envision way too many corporate scum there and not enough passionate fans for my liking. I hate that 9.75 times out of 10 the hosting city has nothing to do with either of the teams. Even if the AFC Championship was a road game, at least the atmosphere will be intense as a visiting fan. Then, I take the money I saved by not going to the Super Bowl and invest in a professional smoker (no, not Michael Phelps) and as many racks of ribs, and briskets that it would take to accommodate every single Browns fan I can get here. I'm not holding my breath, though. :bow:

silly question.

if a team were to play the super bowl in their own stadium, for betting purposes, would it be viewed as a home game/home field advantage (-3) or a neutral site (0)?

Godsbrother said:
Detroit.
My brother and I went to Tampa for the Super Bowl this year. He went to the one in Detroit and kept telling me how great the atmosphere was around the stadium and all of the stuff going on and things to do. We didn't get into Tampa until late so we went to Raymond James stadium early on Sunday. There was absolutely nothing going on but we figured it would pick up after lunch. :bow: Other than the NFL Experience there wasn't much going on outside of the stadium. No band, no one selling beer, etc. It was pretty dull so we were in the stadium by 3:00 for a 6:30 game.

My bro couldn't believe how much better of a show Detroit put on than Tampa.
I've always said that it's more of a dream to go if the Browns were in the AFC Championship game (especially in Cleveland) than to go to a Super Bowl. I just envision way too many corporate scum there and not enough passionate fans for my liking. I hate that 9.75 times out of 10 the hosting city has nothing to do with either of the teams. Even if the AFC Championship was a road game, at least the atmosphere will be intense as a visiting fan. Then, I take the money I saved by not going to the Super Bowl and invest in a professional smoker (no, not Michael Phelps) and as many racks of ribs, and briskets that it would take to accommodate every single Browns fan I can get here.

I'm not holding my breath, though. :bow:
Good thinking

silly question.if a team were to play the super bowl in their own stadium, for betting purposes, would it be viewed as a home game/home field advantage (-3) or a neutral site (0)?
Intangibles are definitely looked at. I think a Super Bowl contender actually on its home field would be worth about 6 spread points. I think that if this year's Super Bowl was last year in Arizona, the spread would have been a pick-em.

Detroit.
That's a dome, which is fair game. I think he was referring to outdoor stadia.
I agree, but I think the NFL would generally not have cold weather games, more so because of the other outdoor experiences the superbowl has to offer, as opposed to just the 2 teams playing in fair weather.

Detroit.
I agree, but I think the NFL would generally not have cold weather games, more so because of the other outdoor experiences the superbowl has to offer, as opposed to just the 2 teams playing in fair weather.
As I said in an earlier post -- there was very little outdoor experiences at this year's Super Bowl. It was very disappointing -- obviously it is still preferable to go to a warm climate than cold though...

Detroit.
As I said in an earlier post -- there was very little outdoor experiences at this year's Super Bowl. It was very disappointing -- obviously it is still preferable to go to a warm climate than cold though...
I heard this years SB was not as active with events due mainly to the economy.

Detroit.
My brother and I went to Tampa for the Super Bowl this year. He went to the one in Detroit and kept telling me how great the atmosphere was around the stadium and all of the stuff going on and things to do. We didn't get into Tampa until late so we went to Raymond James stadium early on Sunday. There was absolutely nothing going on but we figured it would pick up after lunch. :no: Other than the NFL Experience there wasn't much going on outside of the stadium. No band, no one selling beer, etc. It was pretty dull so we were in the stadium by 3:00 for a 6:30 game.My bro couldn't believe how much better of a show Detroit put on than Tampa.
People couldn't get near the stadium on gameday because of, you know, that whole bomb threat and police thing. You had to have a ticket to be in the immediate stadium area. The whole area was "cleaned" Saturday night, and from what was reported on the news, you weren't just cruising up there. If you weren't at channelside on Friday or Saturday before the game, well...you missed a good time. Everybody else in the immediate area was there.

If you weren't at channelside on Friday or Saturday before the game, well...you missed a good time. Everybody else in the immediate area was there.
I realize that but there was nothing going on Sunday. No bands, no beer, no tailgating... nothing. My brother said Detroit was a huge party the day of the game.

Detroit.
My brother and I went to Tampa for the Super Bowl this year. He went to the one in Detroit and kept telling me how great the atmosphere was around the stadium and all of the stuff going on and things to do. We didn't get into Tampa until late so we went to Raymond James stadium early on Sunday. There was absolutely nothing going on but we figured it would pick up after lunch. :goodposting: Other than the NFL Experience there wasn't much going on outside of the stadium. No band, no one selling beer, etc. It was pretty dull so we were in the stadium by 3:00 for a 6:30 game.My bro couldn't believe how much better of a show Detroit put on than Tampa.
They're completely different areas. Detroit had everything downtown, except the hotels in Canada. In Tampa, everything is spread out. The NFL was actually in Orlando. Golf tournaments across the bay in Clearwater. And as Cappy said, Channelside (5 miles away from Stadium) and Ybor City (10 miles from Stadium) hosted a lot of the action. That's the great thing about an area like Detroit...it's the same for Indy or New Orleans. Everything is bunched together and you can just walk around and see it all.That's not why Tampa has hosted 4 Super Bowls and will win another soon.

If you weren't at channelside on Friday or Saturday before the game, well...you missed a good time. Everybody else in the immediate area was there.
I realize that but there was nothing going on Sunday. No bands, no beer, no tailgating... nothing. My brother said Detroit was a huge party the day of the game.
:goodposting: I was at the NFL Tailgate party...which was great as always. But to get there I walked thru two dozen tailgate parties on the East side across the street from the stadium. Just like Buc games. Beer, barbeque, live bands, etc.Most of the tailgating for Bucs games though happens in the huge grass parking lots on each side...which of course were not accessible for the Super Bowl.

They aren't going to be happy in Indianapolis then.
:shock: Dont fool yourself the NFL would probalby give Ford another SB if he pressed hard enough. Detroit and INDY wont be in the heavy rotation but about once every 10 years a cold weather city with a dome will get one

They aren't going to be happy in Indianapolis then.
:goodposting: Dont fool yourself the NFL would probalby give Ford another SB if he pressed hard enough. Detroit and INDY wont be in the heavy rotation but about once every 10 years a cold weather city with a dome will get one
I believe both of those SB...and the upcoming Dallas SB...were given mostly because the owners built new stadiums. I doubt they'll get another any time soon.I don't know why the NFL would leave the rotation of Miami-Tampa-New Orleans-San Diego-Ariz...except to reward a new stadium.

:( I was at the NFL Tailgate party...which was great as always. But to get there I walked thru two dozen tailgate parties on the East side across the street from the stadium. Just like Buc games. Beer, barbeque, live bands, etc.Most of the tailgating for Bucs games though happens in the huge grass parking lots on each side...which of course were not accessible for the Super Bowl.
I parked in the Green lot which was on MKL & Himes on the north side of the stadium. There was nothing going on there or anywhere along our walk to the stadium. I figured there were would be some action at the stadium but there wasn't.I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it is much more spread out than in Detroit.

:( I was at the NFL Tailgate party...which was great as always. But to get there I walked thru two dozen tailgate parties on the East side across the street from the stadium. Just like Buc games. Beer, barbeque, live bands, etc.Most of the tailgating for Bucs games though happens in the huge grass parking lots on each side...which of course were not accessible for the Super Bowl.
I parked in the Green lot which was on MKL & Himes on the north side of the stadium. There was nothing going on there or anywhere along our walk to the stadium. I figured there were would be some action at the stadium but there wasn't.I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it is much more spread out than in Detroit.
I walked along Himes all the way around the south side to get into the west entrance of the NFL tailgate. I saw alot going on along Himes...but it started about mid-stadium and went along Himes south...so you probably didn't get that far south.I'm surprised though that there wasn't anything going on in the North lot? That's where we park for Bucs games...and it's nothing but tailgating for 20 rows of cars usually. Maybe that lot was for VIPs and therefore too 'corporate'.The downside of Tampa is definitely the size geographically. The city itself is really not that big.

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego.

Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.

New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular.

:rant:

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :P
I read the book "The Making of the Super Bowl" and one of the ideas the NFL was kicking around was building a "Super Bowl City" at a neutral site which would be a football themed resort complete with a stadium to play the game in. Sounds like a pretty cool idea...

Godsbrother said:
gump said:
I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :goodposting:
I read the book "The Making of the Super Bowl" and one of the ideas the NFL was kicking around was building a "Super Bowl City" at a neutral site which would be a football themed resort complete with a stadium to play the game in. Sounds like a pretty cool idea...
Didn't Huizenga propose this for Miami also?They may be taking a step closer to something like this with the Pro Bowl next year in Miami prior to the SB. They've discussed moving the Pro Bowl to whatever city is hosting the SB...but how many players are going to want to go to Indy in the middle of winter? There's a chance the NFL just puts it in Miami and leaves it there.

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list.
San Diego would have to agree to a new stadium first, and I'm not so sure that's going to happen all that soon.

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :hophead:
That makes absolutely no sense to me. What would the advantage be for the NFL?

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :confused:
Graft for those making the decision? :shrug:

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :hophead:
Isn't that pretty much the way it is with the exception of the token build a new dome, get a Super Bowl program the NFL has been running the past decade or so?

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :unsure:
They want their event to be more attractive? Better weather/more things to do = more people staying longer...and a better week-long show on tv.ETA: 1 million people were estimated to have traveled to Miami in '07 for the event.

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend from someone who works with them...the NFL is considering narrowing the SB host cities to a rotation of 3-4...including Miami, Tampa, Ariz, and San Diego. Miami and San Diego are at the top of the list. Tampa and Ariz next...but both have a similiar issue of being too spread out.New Orleans could surprisingly be out. No other city mentioned as a possible regular. :unsure:
Isn't that pretty much the way it is with the exception of the token build a new dome, get a Super Bowl program the NFL has been running the past decade or so?
It is...other than a few cities like NO, Houston, and Atlanta that they've tried and would love to a part of the rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread