What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have the Patriots been dethroned in the AFC? (1 Viewer)

I think it's more likely they like what they have with Stidham but know he needs another season or so.

If Brady is gone, I think it would be more likely they try to find a stop gap measure.

Hate to say it, but...gulp...I could see that stop gap being Andy Dalton.
Is he really gonna hang his hopes on Stidham? All indications are that if he was in a better situation at Aub he could of went higher but I have to think his upside is limited to an average game manager and therefore bringing in some competition might increase BBs chances to find his successor 

I think that is a pretty large oversimplification. Wilson and co. are more familiar with San Fran than anybody. The 49ers DC was from Seattle, in addition to facing them twice a year. The Chiefs face them once every 4 years, I don't expect Mahomes to be as good as Wilson at knowing coverages or where blitzers are coming from. I'd also put the Seahawks WR's up against the Chiefs WR's and call that a draw, both speed wise and overall talent wise. Don't forget the Seahawks had Josh Gordon for their win over San Fran. Seattle also had a much better running game with Carson/Penny at the time. 

On the other side, there is no reason the 49ers can't do the exact thing they have done the past 2 weeks on offense. Both the Packers, and especially the Vikings, have better defenses than the Chiefs do. 

The Chiefs have a shot, but they have to get up early. If they fall into a 10+ point hole again, like they have the last 2 games, I don't think they can fight out of it, because they are going from facing mediocre defenses, to the very best one in the league. If KC can get up early, and make it so Garoppolo has to have a big game, the Chiefs can win, but that requires beating that D and shutting down that run game early, and I'm not confident they can do either, let alone both.
You may be right.  

I consider the bolded to also be a pretty large oversimplification.

Whatever happens I think its going to be fairly epic with Andy Reid and Shanahan doing to game planning, and SF's toughness versus Mahomes' Jordanesque tendencies.

kyoun1e said:
I think it's more likely they like what they have with Stidham but know he needs another season or so.

If Brady is gone, I think it would be more likely they try to find a stop gap measure.

Hate to say it, but...gulp...I could see that stop gap being Andy Dalton.

elguapo07 said:
Is he really gonna hang his hopes on Stidham? All indications are that if he was in a better situation at Aub he could of went higher but I have to think his upside is limited to an average game manager and therefore bringing in some competition might increase BBs chances to find his successor 
If Brady wants out, Pats bring in a vet to compete but I do think Stidham will earn the starting job in training camp. He showed flashes in pre-season last year.

To the untrained eye, looked like another Garoppolo. Provided he's got the smarts to grasp the system ... unlike every WR ever drafted by Belichick.

eta: no, Edleman was a QB

Last edited by a moderator:
what about Cam Newton?
I was actually thinking something a little more far fetched...….Ryan Fitzmagic.   I think he would be a good stop gap to give Stidham a year or two more polish.  He wouldn't care about being a Brady replacement and the backlash that goes with that.  I think BB can reign him in a bit but he would need more weapons to succeed.  I just thought it would be an interesting direction. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually think something a little more far fetched...….Ryan Fitzmagic.   I think he would be a good stop gap to give Stidham a year or two more polish.  He wouldn't care about being a Brady replacement and the backlash that goes with that.  I think BB can reign him in a bit but he would need more weapons to succeed.  I just thought it would be an interesting direction. 
It would give the full compliment of the AFC East.

I still think Alex Smith (if recovered) would be in play for NE. IIRC, Smith's 2020 salary ($16 million) has becomes guaranteed on 3/17.  WAS would save almost $11 million cap wise if they release him. I have no idea what the market would be for a 36 year old game manager who hasn't played in a season and a half and has had 17 surgeries on his leg. But I am guessing there won't be teams lining up for him.

The concern I have for some of the other guys getting named as options as a bridge QB if Brady isn't back is those guys would certainly prefer longer term, higher dollar contracts. I doubt Cam Newton or Jameis Winston would be interested in a one year below market deal in NE, for example.

I still think Alex Smith (if recovered) would be in play for NE. IIRC, Smith's 2020 salary ($16 million) has becomes guaranteed on 3/17.  WAS would save almost $11 million cap wise if they release him. I have no idea what the market would be for a 36 year old game manager who hasn't played in a season and a half and has had 17 surgeries on his leg. But I am guessing there won't be teams lining up for him.

The concern I have for some of the other guys getting named as options as a bridge QB if Brady isn't back is those guys would certainly prefer longer term, higher dollar contracts. I doubt Cam Newton or Jameis Winston would be interested in a one year below market deal in NE, for example.
Which is why I think Fitzpatrick is an interesting possibility.   He isn't getting a long term deal anywhere and it would give him a playoff shot with the possibility of a Super Bowl opportunity.

THIS is a very big deal:

Longtime Pats OL coach Dante Scarnecchia to retire

Pretty much a magician when it comes to O Line management.
We'll have to wait and see if he actually retires and is gone 100%. For example, NE could simply make him an offer he couldn't refuse to stick around. If he does retire again, then it probably is a big deal. The OL wasn't that great when he retired the last time (the 2014 and 2015 seasons). They did win the SB one of the years without him, but he was said to have been an OL consultant even when he was officially retired. He could do that again moving forward (working with guys part time and not having to be around all the time). I guess what I am trying to say is even if he retires, that may not mean he will be gone and out the door entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread