What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever been to a yoga class? (1 Viewer)

If you haven't, have you ever tried yoga on your own?

• Yes

Votes: 38 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I've been to a class before

Votes: 49 37.7%

• Total voters
Yup these little waif women were holding their whole body weight on the palms weaves between their legs. Was very impressive.
I've had some pretty serious shoulder surgeries, so it has taken me a lot longer than normal to do the arm balances.  Took awhile for me to figure out just how much of the arm balance is from the core rather than the arms.  I finally got eight angle pose in the last month or two.  Big achievement.

Yup these little waif women were holding their whole body weight on the palms weaves between their legs. Was very impressive.
I've had some pretty serious shoulder surgeries, so it has taken me a lot longer than normal to do the arm balances.  Took awhile for me to figure out just how much of the arm balance is from the core rather than the arms.  I finally got eight angle pose in the last month or two.  Big achievement.
holy smokeroni brohan that is awesome and i salute you if i ever look like that it means i was in a horrible industrial accident and im dead take that to the bank 

My only experience with it is P90X, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (I skipped that day a lot at first) and I really should get back to trying it again.

I've never done a class and probably won't because I'm not a social exerciser and any new age stuff would drive me away in a second.  I'd be cool with sticking to the movements and simple calm/quiet/breathing aspects of meditation, but I'm not interested in someone telling me what to think or not to think.  And get out of here with any kind of mysticism stuff.

Damn dude that's a tough pose. 

This is HUGE.  Took me almost a year to comfortably get in and out of headstands.  Just getting comfortable with a sort of donkey kick/handstand out of a downdog to the top of the mat.  Miles behind you.  I'm motivated.

This is HUGE.  Took me almost a year to comfortably get in and out of headstands.  Just getting comfortable with a sort of donkey kick/handstand out of a downdog to the top of the mat.  Miles behind you.  I'm motivated.
I don't know that I'd say that.  I can barely do a headstand, and usually fail when I attempt it.  I struggle with inversions/strength poses where there is a lot of stress on the forearms or shoulders and I can't use the core to take some of the stress away (i.e. forearm plank is not a problem).  I think some of it is mental fear of reinjury.  Dolphin pose, wheel pose, things like that....I can do them, but not very well....they are very challenging to me.  But most balance poses, hip stretching poses, basic splits, etc., are pretty easy for me.  I'm sure there are plenty of poses that you can do that I'll probably never be able to do.  Just different bodies.  I do love that there's always a new challenge every time you practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 10 years ago I signed up for a beginner yoga class at the gym. At the first session, I was so bad at doing all the moves -- awkward, uncoordinated, and not flexible AT ALL -- that the instructor accused me of mocking her. I never went back.
This is my greatest fear of trying yoga.  I have always been inflexible and these days I'm fat, gassy, and angry on top of it.  

This is my greatest fear of trying yoga.  I have always been inflexible and these days I'm fat, gassy, and angry on top of it.  
The instructor is a big factor if you're going to like it. Even when I was in very good shape I've always been inflexible so I did have a couple of instructors who weren't that sympathetic. 

Best thing I did when I went to my most recent place was meet with the instructor beforehand, explain that I'm very inflexible and sit at a desk most hours of the day, and to not be deterred if I stop a pose or just start laughing and not do a particular movement because there's no chance of me doing it. He was understanding and was a great instructor (left only because I moved several hours away). 

Love yoga.  Wish I had more time to attend classes.  I prefer gym and cardio/sport but will attend hot yoga classes every few weeks at a local studio.  Single guys (and even married guys) you won't regret it. 

Yoga is fantastic.

It’s expensive and inconvenient to go to a class all the time, so I recommend establishing a yoga practice at home from books or videos... But I strongly recommend going to at least a handful of live classes first to get a sense for the spirit of it.

Some of us are anxious, stressed with what’s going on lately

I thought I’d give this thread a bump. If you haven’t tried yoga before, maybe try it now? It definitely helps me relax and feel better 

I use Yoga with Adriene YouTube on my tv

I miss my classes now that my studio shut down as of Friday.  

Luckily I’ve retained enough flow through poses I can create my own 30 min session.  Light some candles, some chill beats and it was very relaxing. Always focus on your breath.  

I've been going for 6 years and really like it.

I think it's especially beneficial as you get older as it works a lot on balance and flexibility - 2 traits that decline with age.

I miss my classes now that my studio shut down as of Friday.  

Luckily I’ve retained enough flow through poses I can create my own 30 min session.  Light some candles, some chill beats and it was very relaxing. Always focus on your breath.  
There's Youtube videos online where they have a DJ mixing some "chill beats" during the class, alternating the music choices depending on what the class is doing.  Pretty unique stuff, I like em.

Just did a quick beginner class on the Peloton app.  I really need it to help with flexibility.

ETA:  No way am I ever going to do that figure 8 pose.

Some of these YouTube sessions are hard on my hands and wrists. Even when I have my yoga mat on top of carpet, it's a lot of stress.

Some of these YouTube sessions are hard on my hands and wrists. Even when I have my yoga mat on top of carpet, it's a lot of stress.
Have had same issue in the past

You can modify your poses to maintain a neutral wrist position. Change the angle of your wrists or use some blocks (if you have them)

In decent sized cities, 20 bucks a class on average I would say. Cheaper if you buy a monthly pass and go several times a week.

My (closed) university is going to start a weekly yoga class via Zoom on Monday afternoon, which is perfect.  I get a chance to check it out, and I can fart all I want.

My ex-wife is a yoga freak. We did some yoga videos at home like 15 years ago, but I couldn't buy into the namaste and meditation back then to go to classes with her.

Now I'm 53 and deal with back issues from an old hockey injury. I developed sciatica and went to physical therapy.  Now I do a lot of stretching and incorporate some yoga. I've also done a few of the Peloton yoga classes at home.  I'm much better now, but I would love to become more flexible.  In time I guess.

I have never paid to go to a yoga class at a studio but I have done yoga classes through videos. 

it's awesome.  it can be as hard as you make it.  i do mostly 'heated flow'.  which is an athletic version, in a heated room.  i sweat like crazy and have an average heart rate of around 125-130.  warrior sculpt, yoga with very light weights, is an awesome workout as well.  those that frown upon it, and think it's some sore of sissy, lame workout out, probably haven't done it.  especially, more than once.  caveat:  i don't care for the spiritual, woo woo crap, but that varies by instructor.

oh..........and...yoga pants.

Anyone ever done a restorative yoga class? Have done a few and really like them. Painful as #### for you only do a 1/2 dozen poses or so for the entire time. Really stretches you out though

Anyone ever done a restorative yoga class? Have done a few and really like them. Painful as #### for you only do a 1/2 dozen poses or so for the entire time. Really stretches you out though
yes.  they're great.  using a lacrosse ball or the like, to really get in there, is remarkably painful.  and restorative.  foam roll is good as well.  my IT band went from taut like a piano wire, to practically a non issue.

eta:  yoga pants

Anyone use blocks, straps, or rollers?  Yes, asking for use for yoga, and not the other stuff.

one time i went to a yoga class and guess what it ends up that yoga has nothing to do with swapping out the gaskets on a carburetor so in short i was once asked to leave a yoga class take that to the bank bromigos  

one time i went to a yoga class and guess what it ends up that yoga has nothing to do with swapping out the gaskets on a carburetor so in short i was once asked to leave a yoga class take that to the bank bromigos  
That's a Yugo class.  Still, lots of farting.

Yep cause my wife has been an instructor for close to 20 years, does mostly gentle or restorative.  She's actually teaching a class right now from home via Zoom.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Yep cause my wife has been an instructor for close to 20 years, does mostly gentle or restorative.  She's actually teaching a class right now from home via Zoom.
it would be petty good stick to have a fart sound maker and just let it rip while she is mid class but hey that is just me talkin take that to the bank brohan

it would be petty good stick to have a fart sound maker and just let it rip while she is mid class but hey that is just me talkin take that to the bank brohan
I don't know about doing yoga at the bank but I fart pretty much everywhere I go...

TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!  :pickle:

• Love
Reactions: SWC

Users who are viewing this thread