What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hawaii....help me (1 Viewer)

that’s awesome Joe. Is there a way to purchase another subscription basically add a year. since I have an active one now.

Sorry but we have it set up so you can only have one subscription at a time (to safeguard against someone accidentally buying two). So we don't have a way for you to purchase another. You're doing a lot already. All good here on that front.

Last edited:
Joe, I got a notice the other day that my plan will be renewed on the 16th, and that is the day I will be billed. I didn't even know renewals happened automatically. Is that new? Anyway, I tried to move it up to the 13th, but I couldn't figure out how. If you can do it, can you bill me on the 13th or 14th so it will go towards the Maui Food Bank? Thanks.

Hi @simey. Yes, the subscriptions are set to autorenew unless you choose not to renew. We're not able to change that. For a donation, you can donate directly to the food bank. https://mauifoodbank.org/. Thanks.

Joe, I got a notice the other day that my plan will be renewed on the 16th, and that is the day I will be billed. I didn't even know renewals happened automatically. Is that new? Anyway, I tried to move it up to the 13th, but I couldn't figure out how. If you can do it, can you bill me on the 13th or 14th so it will go towards the Maui Food Bank? Thanks.

Hi @simey. Yes, the subscriptions are set to autorenew unless you choose not to renew. We're not able to change that. For a donation, you can donate directly to the food bank. https://mauifoodbank.org/. Thanks.
I was gonna just cancel the renewal and sign up again within the 13th/14th timeframe, but I get a window when I hit cancel renewal that says, "Are you sure? Your plan will remain active until its current expiration, at which point it will not renew and expire. This process does not initiate a refund of any kind."

I was gonna just cancel the renewal and sign up again within the 13th/14th timeframe, but I get a window when I hit cancel renewal that says, "Are you sure? Your plan will remain active until its current expiration, at which point it will not renew and expire. This process does not initiate a refund of any kind."

No worries. Probably just best to let it renew automatically like that and not try the cancel / renew thing as this is a pretty unique situation. Thanks for thinking of this.

Hey y’all. Looks like sales for the two days were $38,414.83 total.

20% for the Maui Food Bank will be $7,682.97.

Thanks for helping us get the word out and for supporting.

We received a message Sunday that the food bank was running out of food daily so we sent an advance of $5k. We'll send another payment today to make up the difference to $7,682.97.

Thanks for your support on all this.

Here's a hard question that I don't know the answer to.

I have a friend who's got a trip to Maui planned in mid October and he's wondering if they should go.

I read something recently where a tourist on Maui was snorkeling on the far side of the island away from the fires and they were berated by people for vacationing while people were dealing with incredible trauma. I can understand that.

I read another thing from a local person there that was more along the lines of "Please give us time to grieve, but please come visit". With so many jobs tied to tourism, people vacationing there is hugely important for the local people.

Not sure of the right balance.

I have a friend who's got a trip to Maui planned in mid October and he's wondering if they should go.

I read something recently where a tourist on Maui was snorkeling on the far side of the island away from the fires and they were berated by people for vacationing while people were dealing with incredible trauma. I can understand that.

I read another thing from a local person there that was more along the lines of "Please give us time to grieve, but please come visit". With so many jobs tied to tourism, people vacationing there is hugely important for the local people.

I would go in October, the economy is going to need it.

They should go. We have plans the first week of October and are still planning to go at this point.

The Maui visitors subreddit has had a few locals come on recently saying they are really going to continue to need tourists to support their businesses.

Mid October should be fine.

There have always been a few anti-tourist locals in Hawaii. The fires gave them a bit of a soapbox. That said, be a good tourist. Stay away from Lahaina, realize that the people waiting on you at businesses and restaurants are working but may have lost their home or know someone who has. Tip a little extra. Be a little more patient if things take longer.

I wouldn't judge anyone for visiting Maui in October but for me it's too soon. Maui's going to be a mess for a while with displaced locals and lack of resources for them. I'd reschedule or visit other islands. Just my opinion not that its right or wrong.

I’ll ask my family for their input.

for me, if they are on the west side, don’t go. If they are on the Kihei side. Maybe. Honestly, imho, it’s too early right now to know the answer.

I think October is different from now. Things are still pretty raw now as just happened a week ago, and folks are still processing the trauma and loss.

Hawaii Tourism Authority has an FAQ, which says to stay away from West Maui. Rest of Maui open for tourists, but to be respectful. I’d probably encourage them to monitor for any updates between now and then.

for me, if they are on the west side, don’t go. If they are on the Kihei side. Maybe. Honestly, imho, it’s too early right now to know the answer.
here are the responses from my family members:

"they should come as long as they are not going to the west side. wailea, kihei, etc is fine. we don't want to destroy the economy here."

"but they can't expect to do activities or eat at restaurants on the west side either" "some people are clueless so if they come, they can't be unaware of the situation"

at this point i asked if kaanapali and beyond was "open"

the responses: "no" "that's where all the refugees are" "the whole west side is closed from the pali to past honolua bay" "we need the people to come. kihei/wailea and even hana are fine. they're trying to keep people employed"

it's so heartbreaking to hear their answers knowing that their home, their business, their work place are all in ashes. but they still want to prop up the rest of the island.

"they should come as long as they are not going to the west side. wailea, kihei, etc is fine. we don't want to destroy the economy here."

"but they can't expect to do activities or eat at restaurants on the west side either" "some people are clueless so if they come, they can't be unaware of the situation"

the responses: "no" "that's where all the refugees are" "the whole west side is closed from the pali to past honolua bay" "we need the people to come. kihei/wailea and even hana are fine. they're trying to keep people employed"

it's so heartbreaking to hear their answers knowing that their home, their business, their work place are all in ashes. but they still want to prop up the rest of the island.

Thanks. This makes sense. Our timeshare on Kaanapali cancelled everything through 8/20 and I expect they will cancel through 8/31. I don't even know if the resorts there have power right now. I cant imagine that's a priority.

So sorry for your family's losses.

Just go to a different island. Any tourist going to Maui gonna just be in the way imo

Not sure if your friend is still planning to go, but latest official updates are that Hawaii (including accessible areas of Maui) need tourism “now more than ever.” West Maui (except for Lahaina) will open up Oct. 8th.

Respectful travel to any of the Hawaiian Islands, including the accessible areas of Maui, is welcomed and encouraged, now more than ever. Beginning October 8th, all travel restrictions will end and West Maui (including Nāpili, Kāʻanapali, Honokōwai and Kapalua) will be open to visitors again with the exception of Lahaina. Your visit will support Hawaiʻi’s businesses and workers that rely on tourism for their families’ livelihood, especially when you are mindful in the following ways:

• Visit with aloha and compassion. 
  • Support local businesses. 
  • Consider participating in unique volunteer opportunities throughout the islands.
  • Learn about the historical and cultural significance of Lahaina but stay away from the area as a means of respect for the people and places that have been lost during this devastating tragedy.

Last edited:

Not sure if your friend is still planning to go, but latest official updates are that Hawaii (including accessible areas of Maui) saying need tourism “more than ever.” West Maui (except for Lahaina) will open up Oct. 8th.

Respectful travel to any of the Hawaiian Islands, including the accessible areas of Maui, is welcomed and encouraged, now more than ever. Beginning October 8th, all travel restrictions will end and West Maui (including Nāpili, Kāʻanapali, Honokōwai and Kapalua) will be open to visitors again with the exception of Lahaina. Your visit will support Hawaiʻi’s businesses and workers that rely on tourism for their families’ livelihood, especially when you are mindful in the following ways:

• Consider participating in unique volunteer opportunities throughout the islands.
  • Learn about the historical and cultural significance of Lahaina but stay away from the area as a means of respect for the people and places that have been lost during this devastating tragedy.

Thanks. Not sure. They got a ton of negative feedback for even considering back when they asked and I'm pretty sure they picked another spot.

Not sure if your friend is still planning to go, but latest official updates are that Hawaii (including accessible areas of Maui) saying need tourism “more than ever.” West Maui (except for Lahaina) will open up Oct. 8th.

Thanks. Not sure. They got a ton of negative feedback for even considering back when they asked and I'm pretty sure they picked another spot.
They want/need people to come. Go to local businesses! My wife is going on 11/1 just to hug her brother.

In our second week at Kauai. Kona low provided some heavy rainy days last week. Sun broke on Friday and weather is great since. Waimea canyon was crystal clear on Friday. 25 foot waves north shore/NaPali coast yesterday/today. South shores are nice. Usually we do a condo at Poipu Shores (we like having a/c but most places don't have it). This time we did first week at Sheraton Kauai Resort in Poipu. Big promotion from American Air allows me to keep/upgrade status for next year. It was nice but lacking the finer touches.
This week at the Grand Hyatt. They do everything right here. Popular "attraction" at Poipu Beach is the turtles swim up to the beach across street from Brennecke's Broiler at sunset for the night. There were 50 of them this week.
Big local news is Alaska/Hawaiian Air merger. Locals prefer to keep Hawaiian Air separate.
ETA: Stay away from the Hyatt luau. We watched it from our room balcony. MC was bad, hula dancers were bad, fire dancers both dropped their batons off the stage. It was pretty "cheesy". $200+ person. Go to the Plantation luau instead as it is a more traditional one explaining the history of how Hawaii was inhabited and better talent.

Last edited:
Heading to Maui on Saturday. Long needed R and R.

Anyone golfed any of the three courses in Wailea?
oh dang sorry I didn't see this before as I've played all 3 and enjoyed the emerald course the most but all 3 were good.

headed to waikiki in 3 weeks and am doing both of the below, I visited Pearl Harbor once before almost 20 years ago and remember how heavy it feels out there. Planning to do a sunset harbor cruise off waikiki and possibly a whale watching one if there are humpbacks in the area, I know that they are typically up on the north shore but not sure we will head over there due to traffic/crowds this time of year.

@Don Quixote
  • Day 3 - Went to Kualoa Ranch and did a Jurassic Adventure Tour. That was a pretty cool spot, and they took around to see a number of the filming locations from the movies. Lots of other types of tour options and adventures there.
  • Day 4 - Pearl Harbor / Arizona Memorial. Pretty special place; not sure what more can be said. Did the audio tour beforehand.

Residents say they get island fever. But when I go to Hawaii, I wonder why I leave.
If you travel a few times a year, and have friends/family in the islands, this is never an issue.

I love mountains and snow, but there is nothing like the sensation of the island breeze when I return to HI. Instantly, my skin re-hydrates, and I feel a few years younger.

After returning to Hawaii for the first time in a decade last February, we're going back again this year. Man, I love the anticipation of one of these trips.
We had a great time, of course. Big Island, staying in Kona.

New things we did:
  • Hiked to Green Sands Beach and back, were about 20 feet from a huge seal rolling around and sunning itself.
  • Kayaked to the Cook monument at Honaunau and snorkeled with a kayak tied to my arm.
  • Rode the ziplines at Umauma. Very cool, but not worth the cost. Neat waterfalls, though.
  • Did a combined lunch and tour at a vanilla farm. Good food, interesting tour.
  • Took a Mauna Kea sunset summit and short stargazing tour. They had parkas, which was good since it was below freezing.
  • Had a weird coincidence where we stopped at a spot to check on snorkeling and rejected it as much too rough, but ended up whale watching with a club of ~20 ukelele players playing right behind us in a pavilion - they had screens with the music they were playing and sang along, and it was great.
  • Walked along spots in Kona and just took every public access path to see what was at the end. We saw some neat stuff - a public saltwater swimming pool that the surf hits and turns over (cool spot for a kid's first snorkeling since were some fish that ended up in there), some neat little beaches and exploding surf spots, etc.
We also did a lot of the old favorites - Hapuna, Kua Bay, Mauna Kea Beach, snorkeling everywhere we thought was safe, eating fish sandwiches, taking long walks every morning (only one day under 15k steps). It was pretty perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread