What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hawk-screech (for realz) (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Over the last couple of days, I've heard some distinct bird sounds that I haven't heard before.  Sure enough, there are a couple of hawks that seem to have moved onto our street and seemingly have nested.  This morning, I noticed both of them in 2 different trees talking back and forth to each other and took this picture.  Any idea what kind of hawk that is? 

Just now, I was outside in our front lawn with my wife and our small 15 lb terrier mix.  I heard one of them and mentioned to her that I noticed there were a couple of hawks that are now on our street.  As our dog is older (14 years old), she joked that if they end up taking her, she's at least had a good life. 

Literally 2 seconds after she completed that sentence, one of the hawks swooped down and flew within 2 feet of our dog and then stopped on our roof a few feet away just looking at us.  My wife started freaking out, picked up our dog and went inside with her.

I've just done some reading and it does seem they can occasionally attack small pets.  Plus, we have a 2 year old that my wife is freaking out about as well.

Is there anything to do about them?  Do we really have to be careful and not let either out without us being close by (or does that even matter)? 

Calling @Otis and any other hawk experts for thoughts.

Screech

Looks like some sort of osprey. Where are you?

Red tail hawks are really common all over but that's not one.

Looks like some sort of osprey. Where are you?

Red tail hawks are really common all over but that's not one.
:goodposting:   Looks like an osprey to me, but I don’t think they’re that far north.  

Last edited by a moderator:
True story.  At my office, we have a warehouse on the back of the property.  It was almost five o'clock, it had rained hard that day and there was a puddle on the dock.  There was a pigeon sitting there drinking water.  A hawk scoops in going for the pigeon but he (hawk) hit the reflection instead and bounced into the warehouse and he flew up on a beam, the pigeon, trying to avoid the hawk, took off into the warehouse as well.  The warehouse guys were freaking out, they didn't want to leave that hawk in the warehouse over the weekend but they wanted to go home.

So after an hour of the hawk not moving and not knowing what to do they called our local zoo.  They said "we can't come out now but that hawk will be fine overnight, we have a guy that can remove the hawk, can someone open the warehouse for him tomorrow morning?"  They said "sure thing."  The next day (Saturday morning) they open up the warehouse, the guy from the zoo came out and they got the hawk out safely.  Also, when they were looking around the warehouse for damage (the hawk didn't do any damage) except to the pigeon.  They found the pigeon's head, feet and a bunch of feathers on the ground.  The hawk got his pigeon afterall.

So maybe start with the St. Louis zoo, maybe someone there can point you in the right direction on what to do or whom to call?

Over the last couple of days, I've heard some distinct bird sounds that I haven't heard before.  Sure enough, there are a couple of hawks that seem to have moved onto our street and seemingly have nested.  This morning, I noticed both of them in 2 different trees talking back and forth to each other and took this picture.  Any idea what kind of hawk that is? 

Just now, I was outside in our front lawn with my wife and our small 15 lb terrier mix.  I heard one of them and mentioned to her that I noticed there were a couple of hawks that are now on our street.  As our dog is older (14 years old), she joked that if they end up taking her, she's at least had a good life. 

Literally 2 seconds after she completed that sentence, one of the hawks swooped down and flew within 2 feet of our dog and then stopped on our roof a few feet away just looking at us.  My wife started freaking out, picked up our dog and went inside with her.

I've just done some reading and it does seem they can occasionally attack small pets.  Plus, we have a 2 year old that my wife is freaking out about as well.

Is there anything to do about them?  Do we really have to be careful and not let either out without us being close by (or does that even matter)? 

Screech
Pets are prey. The two yr old is safe

100% a hawk.  I could never tell red-tailed from red-shouldered, but it's one of those.

We have a lot of hawks and owls around here and used to have a small dog, so I had to look this up when we moved.  Rule of thumb is that raptors can't take prey that weighs more than they do.  So your 14 pound dog is safe from the hawks.

We were playing disc golf last week when a massive hawk came swooping in no more than 5-10 feet over our heads. Perched in a tree right next to us. Can't see it very well, but he's holding a headless rabbit in his talons. Screeeeech

How big is it?

You said you aren't near water, but a lot of people don't know that juvenile eagles look like that. They don't get the bald head and black body til about 4-5 years old.  Juvenile Eagle

Is that a good thing? Do the rabbits and squirrels cause problems in your neighborhood?
Yes. Bunnies eat your garden.

And we are talking ground squirrels here. Those little bassturds will fook up your foundation. Also called chipmunks for you northern folk.

That's a red tail hawk.  Mr R has red shouldered hawks living at his workplace, so he can easily tell them apart.

They are protected.  I wouldn't leave your pet outside unsupervised.  They can't carry it off, but if they feel threatened, they will attack.  You have no way of knowing if they will see your kid as a threat.  Definitely supervise Little Gianmarco when outside.

On the plus side, as noted, squirrels and other small rodent types are toast.

Goshawk. And yes hawks/owls will attack small domestic pets. We have friends whose 16 yr old pug met it’s demise because of it. Sad way to lose a long time pet 

We have them in MN. 

That’s not an osprey. It’s a red tail hawk. Osprey are ####### HUGE. 
I definitely could be mistaken about thinking it's an osprey but not all ospreys are huge.

Here are some pics of ospreys in FL that made me think it might be one of them:

https://d1ia71hq4oe7pn.cloudfront.net/og/75712441-1200px.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y-Gwzytmk_Y/TyGg9NTTveI/AAAAAAAABHQ/0CuV-OatpIw/s1600/1+26+12+osprey+fish.jpg

http://www.wildflorida.com/wildlife/birds/images/osprey463.jpg

http://roaminwithroman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/12.2(pp_w920_h630).jpg

On the other hand, @gianmarco, maybe this could be a positive for your running:

Andy Llewellyn was on a run near Chellaston, England, on August 1 when he felt what he called an “almighty whack” against the back of his head.

His first thought was that a person had attacked him, but then he heard wings flapping around. This was definitely not a person, but instead a hawk, with a wingspan about four feet long, digging its talons into the top of Llewellyn’s head.

“I suddenly heard a flap of wings around my shoulder and felt something crack my head and drag me forward,” he told The Daily Mail. “At first I thought it was a mugger who whacked me with a baseball bat or had thrown a stone at me, but then I just fell to the ground with blood pouring down my face.”

Despite everything, the 44-year-old composed himself and decided to continue his run back home. He even managed a 5K PR.

I decided to just run home and get it looked at, but the best thing is I managed to beat my personal best whilst doing that,” Llewellyn said. “So really the bird did me a favour.
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a19528867/hawk-attacks-man-on-run/

Seems like a hawk. We had one fly into a picture window of our family room. Didn't break the window but made a hell of a thud. Anyway, it was dazed for a while and then died a few hours later. Yours truly was on clean up duty. It doesn't weigh more than 2 or 3 pounds. 

We still see the occasional hawk in our backyard and I'm not too concerned leaving our 14 pound dog in the yard. I am concerned when Coyotes are around. 

We have a ton of red tail hawks around us.  It's nothing to see 4-6 of them flying around the neighborhood together.  They have never gone after one of our dogs.  Even the min-pin who weighs about 12 lbs.  But she's kind of a #####, so maybe the hawks can just tell.  We have some eagles in the area (those are really cool to see flying or sitting somewhere) as there is a wetlands reservation within a couple miles that has a couple nesting pairs.  

Those hawks are actually pretty cool.  The 2 year is safe, and unless they've completely wiped out the area of small rabbits and chipmunks I wouldn't think they would target your dog.. But I don't think you have anything to worry about there.  We've had hawks patrolling around here for years and there are still countless rabbits running around.

From my Dad who’s super bird watcher: Red tail. Always had a belly band. The only USA hawk that does. We have an adult an juvenile behind us nesting 

I used to have some type of antenna topper on my RAV and it fluttered in the wind. One day while driving home from work on the highway doing around 60mph, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye near the top of the drivers side window, sure enough it was a freaking hawk attacking my antenna topper. He flew even with me for awhile, then flew off...... Freaking crazy

I had 3 Hawks sitting on my back fence one day. One had a squirrel in it's talons.

I went to walk out back and saw all 3 staring at me so I went back in  :scared:

gianmarco said:

Screech
That's what you get for having ankle biters.

Users who are viewing this thread