What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (1 Viewer)

'Mjolnirs said:
'Major]So do you book :nerd: know what is going to happen next? [/QUOTE]Pretty much said:
Everyone is trying to use Spoiler tags. You should be ok.
Appreciate the heads-up Mjolnirs. Now have 42+ pages to read through over lunch.

'Mjolnirs said:
'Major]So do you book :nerd: know what is going to happen next? [/QUOTE]Pretty much said:
Everyone is trying to use Spoiler tags. You should be ok.
Appreciate the heads-up Mjolnirs. Now have 42+ pages to read through over lunch.
Still be careful with the spoilers. You might be better off asking some questions. I stumbled upon some spoilers I wished I hadn't, although it didn't take away from enjoying the ride.

Man am I ever bored now that I have finished all the books :kicksrock:
I went back to the beginning. I skipped the majority of it back when the show was on. There are interesting little tidbits I missed, here and there. But, overall I need something new to read.I cannot imagine reading this series book release by book release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back to the beginning. I skipped the majority of it back when the show was on. There are interesting little tidbits I missed, here and there. But, overall I need something new to read.I cannot imagine reading this series book release by book release.
But you are now right?
OMG noooo!~ :wall:
You were cozened.

But you are now right?
OMG noooo!~ :wall:
You were cozened.
the TV show softens the blow. Only have to wait until April for new content.

'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Check out The Name of the Wind. Different fantasy than GOT series but just as well written.
I bought and downloaded the first book in the WoT series. Have had a hard time getting into it, but I just don't think I have put in a good effort, yet
WoT is a much more high magic setting and not nearly as gritty as ASOIAF. The Name of the Wind is an awesome book and the 2nd book in the series is good as well. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and The Way of Kings are great reads. If you want something completely different from the sword and sorcery setting I would highly recommend The Dresden Files.For good standalone books I would recommend JOB: A Comedy of Justice, Ender's Game, and most Neil Gaiman books.

'sn0mm1s said:
'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Check out The Name of the Wind. Different fantasy than GOT series but just as well written.
I bought and downloaded the first book in the WoT series. Have had a hard time getting into it, but I just don't think I have put in a good effort, yet
WoT is a much more high magic setting and not nearly as gritty as ASOIAF. The Name of the Wind is an awesome book and the 2nd book in the series is good as well. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and The Way of Kings are great reads. If you want something completely different from the sword and sorcery setting I would highly recommend The Dresden Files.For good standalone books I would recommend JOB: A Comedy of Justice, Ender's Game, and most Neil Gaiman books.
Thanks. :thumbup: Anything else like ASOFIAF? mainly I like the kings and queens and lords and knights chivalry aspect and political intrigue, but with the wizardryish as well.

Thanks. :thumbup: Anything else like ASOFIAF? mainly I like the kings and queens and lords and knights chivalry aspect and political intrigue, but with the wizardryish as well.
Unfortunately, there really isn't anything else like ASOIAF that I know of. You might like Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy though.

'sn0mm1s said:
'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Hmm.... Of the recommendations here that I have read here is what I can tell you.The best I have read for series which I put on the same level of ASOIAF is Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear). It isn't the same type of story though, more of a framed story within a story. First person narrative telling about a specific person. It doesn't switch between many POVs and is more fantasy than ASOIAF. It does have the same sense of depth of mystery as ASOIAF though and besides ASOIAF it is probably the most theorized/discussed fantasy series out there right now. It does have some political intrigue but it is not the focus of the story. But once again I recommend it the most. George RR Martin has also stated he thinks the Wise Man's Fear was the best fantasy book of 2011 and is a fan of the series. The Way of Kings by Sanderson is probably the closest you would get to a king/queens with wizardry story as that is almost exactly what it is. New magic system, political alliances/intrigue etc and I do think it is a good book but it is not the same level of sophistication as ASOIAF. Kind of like ASOIAF for the Dungeon and Dragon crowd. Sanderson is a good writer but not on Martin's/Rothfuss level. The book lacks a grittiness that you find in ASOIAF. Still though it is a book I would recommend.Mistborn Trilogy is interesting and by Sanderson also. Very intriguing magic system but at times it reads like a young adult series. It gets lost for stretches where you almost feel you are reading a teenage romance. As I said before with WOK, Sanderson isn't the best writer and read a little juvenile at times but if you are looking for a quick trilogy when you have nothing else to read, it is probably worth it. Sanderson is a practicing Mormon and has a large Mormon audience so you are not going to get the same type of writing that Martin or Rothfuss gives. Relationships can read like a teenager writing about a fantasy, sex scenes are non existent and the violence isn't written in the same way as Martin.Ranking them I would go:Kingkiller ChroniclesWay of KingsMistborn

'sn0mm1s said:
'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Hmm.... Of the recommendations here that I have read here is what I can tell you.The best I have read for series which I put on the same level of ASOIAF is Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear). It isn't the same type of story though, more of a framed story within a story. First person narrative telling about a specific person. It doesn't switch between many POVs and is more fantasy than ASOIAF. It does have the same sense of depth of mystery as ASOIAF though and besides ASOIAF it is probably the most theorized/discussed fantasy series out there right now. It does have some political intrigue but it is not the focus of the story. But once again I recommend it the most. George RR Martin has also stated he thinks the Wise Man's Fear was the best fantasy book of 2011 and is a fan of the series. The Way of Kings by Sanderson is probably the closest you would get to a king/queens with wizardry story as that is almost exactly what it is. New magic system, political alliances/intrigue etc and I do think it is a good book but it is not the same level of sophistication as ASOIAF. Kind of like ASOIAF for the Dungeon and Dragon crowd. Sanderson is a good writer but not on Martin's/Rothfuss level. The book lacks a grittiness that you find in ASOIAF. Still though it is a book I would recommend.Mistborn Trilogy is interesting and by Sanderson also. Very intriguing magic system but at times it reads like a young adult series. It gets lost for stretches where you almost feel you are reading a teenage romance. As I said before with WOK, Sanderson isn't the best writer and read a little juvenile at times but if you are looking for a quick trilogy when you have nothing else to read, it is probably worth it. Sanderson is a practicing Mormon and has a large Mormon audience so you are not going to get the same type of writing that Martin or Rothfuss gives. Relationships can read like a teenager writing about a fantasy, sex scenes are non existent and the violence isn't written in the same way as Martin.Ranking them I would go:Kingkiller ChroniclesWay of KingsMistborn
Nice! Again Thanks!!!! :thumbup:

'sn0mm1s said:
'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Nice! Again Thanks!!!! :thumbup:
Not to rain on the parade, but I can't think of a single reason to mention Kingkiller in any discussion of good books. I've never read 2 books while telling myself "this WILL get good eventually" with more disappointment. NOTHING HAPPENED IN TWO WHOLE BOOKS. Book 3 is going to have to be 2500 pages to cover all the material from where 2 ended and the storytelling begins, much less continue the "present day" storyline. Waste of time IMO, as is Way of Kings (until more books come out).

Not to rain on the parade, but I can't think of a single reason to mention Kingkiller in any discussion of good books. I've never read 2 books while telling myself "this WILL get good eventually" with more disappointment. NOTHING HAPPENED IN TWO WHOLE BOOKS. Book 3 is going to have to be 2500 pages to cover all the material from where 2 ended and the storytelling begins, much less continue the "present day" storyline. Waste of time IMO, as is Way of Kings (until more books come out).
I am sort of curious - what fantasy books do you recommend then? I do agree that Rothfuss' 3rd book is going to have to cover a ton of material (if it is truly the last book in the series) but to say that nothing happened in the first two books is crazy. When people ask me my first tier is:ASOIAF - GRRMKingkiller Chronicles - RothfussThe Dresden Files - Jim ButcherSecond tier - with the caveat that Sanderson and Jordan don't have the adult/gritty feel that is contained in the others.WoT - Jordan/SandersonMistborn - SandersonWay of Kings - SandersonThe First Law Trilogy - AbercrombieThird Tier:Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erickson (this one takes a while to get into though because of you get bombarded with tons of history/characters and definitely has a different flavor than the others)Hobbit/LOTR - TolkienFarseer/Tawny Man - HobbOther series that often get recommended (that I usually don't)The Black Company - CookHarry Potter - RowlingI am still on the fence with The Warded Man/Desert Spear - Britt.Next on my list is the Lies of Locke Lamora.

OK I'm new to the books (about 3/4 of the way through AGoT) and decided to jump onto HBO's website to see how the actors in the series matched up with how I envisioned them. Overall they look close to how I saw them but was very surprised to see that Sean Bean is playing Eddard Stark. With him having recently played Boromir in LOTR, did anyone find it hard to accept him as Ned? Is his performance here strong enough to distinguish from Boromir? I mean, LOTR is the quintessential modern day fantasy epic. Hard to believe HBO used one of the LOTR actors for such an important role.

OK I'm new to the books (about 3/4 of the way through AGoT) and decided to jump onto HBO's website to see how the actors in the series matched up with how I envisioned them. Overall they look close to how I saw them but was very surprised to see that Sean Bean is playing Eddard Stark. With him having recently played Boromir in LOTR, did anyone find it hard to accept him as Ned? Is his performance here strong enough to distinguish from Boromir? I mean, LOTR is the quintessential modern day fantasy epic. Hard to believe HBO used one of the LOTR actors for such an important role.
Lord of the Rings is minor league compared to A Song of Ice and Fire.

I think Bean was perfect for the role. I don't know why him having played a similar role a decade ago would detract from that.

Please. The author even stole Tolkien's "R.R." :thumbdown:

Keep reading.

Keep reading.
I can't wait until Tyrion throws the Ring into Mt. Doom. :popcorn:

I think Bean was perfect for the role. I don't know why him having played a similar role a decade ago would detract from that.
Glad to hear it wasn't a distraction. :thumbup:

come on. Tolkein is like Elvis and GRRM is the beatles. Cant have one without the other and both are great.Sure GRRM is more adult, but LOTR is the genre setter.

come on. Tolkein is like Elvis and GRRM is the beatles. Cant have one without the other and both are great.Sure GRRM is more adult, but LOTR is the genre setter.
I can see that. I've never read them and wasnt't really a fan of the films and this hbo series grabbed me immediately.

This. I loved LOTR when I first read it, and re-read it a few times. But I went back to re-read it a year or two back after reading ASOFAI and WOT and realized it wasn't at the top of my fantasy list anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still in my top 5 fantasy series, but it isn't the one I compare new series against anymore either.FWIW for those looking for other series, I really like WOT (I agree with others that it isn't quite as adult, and there are some tough stretches in the middle of the series to get through) and overall, it is probably my favorite series. ASOFAI is right behind it for me, but I would never fault someone for putting it ahead of WOT either.I also like the Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind. Little bit different, and those books are a little more standalone despite being a long series. To the point where they start to feel formulaic, despite the different storylines.Also second the recommendation of Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn is a pretty decent trilogy.

Glad to hear it wasn't a distraction. :thumbup:
There are a couple of lines/deliveries that might hearken back to Boromir, but I didn't find it distracting. The characters are different enough that it wasn't an issue at all for me. Very strong performance from Sean Bean.As for the Tolkien/Martin thing, I much prefer Tolkien, but they're both great. It might have been a more interesting comparison after A Storm of Swords, but Martin's writing has changed a lot over the past two books in the series. It's to be expected, since people change over the years and their writing voices follow suit, but I don't think it has helped the story. It's ventured closer to typical fantasy genre trappings, and though Martin still strives for a more "adult" view, it doesn't always work for me. At times, it's just dirtier or gross for the sake of it. I still enjoy the overall story, despite that. Just don't think he's the "American Tolkien".

'sn0mm1s said:
'Stoneys said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Historical fiction but captures the time frame pretty well is Nigel Tranter's trilogy about Robert the Bruce of Scotland and his wars against England for Scottish independence. Some of it is covered by the movie Braveheart but this is a little closer to history then that movie. http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Trilogy-Scotlands-Greatest-Coronet/dp/0340371862/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329837551&sr=1-1

I'm about to start AGOT and I'm debating trying to either get through the second book before the second season starts oragain waitin unril after it. Would you all suggest reading the books before the shows or wait till after them? I listened to that filmcast podcast where the guy suggested reading the books after their corresponding seasons.

I'm about to start AGOT and I'm debating trying to either get through the second book before the second season starts oragain waitin unril after it. Would you all suggest reading the books before the shows or wait till after them? I listened to that filmcast podcast where the guy suggested reading the books after their corresponding seasons.
Last season I enjoyed watching the show, then reading the chapters that corresponded with that show during the week afterwards, and then re-watching that episode prior to the next new one. The shows and chapters almost always end on a cliffhanger of sorts, so it was easy to follow along. I, however, am not sure they will stay so consistent this season.

So I'm sort of watching Kingdom Of Heaven last night while rereading Storm Of Swords (that's right, I'm in the middle of book 3 again in less than a month and a half punks!) and lo and behold Jaime Lannister (as the local French sheriff) and Jorah Mormont (as King Richard) are both bit players. Small medieval screen experience world isn't it?

A cool Littlefinger interview. There might be some spoilers. The thing of note to me was him saying he signed on for 6 seasons of the show.http://www.universityobserver.ie/2012/02/22/i-did-warn-you-not-to-trust-me/
OK, I did not know that Littlefinger was Mayor Carcetti on the Wire.

Last season I enjoyed watching the show, then reading the chapters that corresponded with that show during the week afterwards, and then re-watching that episode prior to the next new one. The shows and chapters almost always end on a cliffhanger of sorts, so it was easy to follow along. I, however, am not sure they will stay so consistent this season.
I suggested the same thing to a friend. The book helps flesh out the characters and backstory, while the show puts a face to all the names.

Do the show seasons correspond to the books? In other words, is season 1 'A Game of Thrones', ending exactly where the first book ended? So season 2 will be 'A Clash Of Kings', even though the series is titled AGOT?

I watched the first season without having read any of the books. I liked the show a lot, so then I read the first book. I liked it a lot as well, so now I'm on the second. I'm not waiting for the TV show.

Do the show seasons correspond to the books? In other words, is season 1 'A Game of Thrones', ending exactly where the first book ended? So season 2 will be 'A Clash Of Kings', even though the series is titled AGOT?
Re the bold: More or less. There are a few things that happened at the very end of the book that I don't remember occurring on the show.Whether the other seasons will work the same way, I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread