What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (3 Viewers)

Do the show seasons correspond to the books? In other words, is season 1 'A Game of Thrones', ending exactly where the first book ended? So season 2 will be 'A Clash Of Kings', even though the series is titled AGOT?
I don't see how this can be the case going forward. There is so much sprawl and overlapping time frames that I don't think it would be possible. This is definitely the case with A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons (books 4 and 5). These two books cover the exact same time frames, but just focus on different characters. GRRM wrote in a note at the end of A Feast for Crows, "I wanted to tell the whole story of half the characters, rather than tell the half the story of all the characters."So, while HBO season one is pretty much in lock step with A Game of Thrones, the rest will not be so directly correlated. I would imagine that one character in particular - Danerys - will have a story arc in the show that outpaces the novels. For one, her character is probably the favorite of most TV viewers. Secondly, her story moves next to nowhere in Books 2 and 3, so they will have to work ahead to keep her story interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'm new to the books (about 3/4 of the way through AGoT) and decided to jump onto HBO's website to see how the actors in the series matched up with how I envisioned them. Overall they look close to how I saw them but was very surprised to see that Sean Bean is playing Eddard Stark. With him having recently played Boromir in LOTR, did anyone find it hard to accept him as Ned? Is his performance here strong enough to distinguish from Boromir? I mean, LOTR is the quintessential modern day fantasy epic. Hard to believe HBO used one of the LOTR actors for such an important role.
Boro-who?

OK I'm new to the books (about 3/4 of the way through AGoT) and decided to jump onto HBO's website to see how the actors in the series matched up with how I envisioned them. Overall they look close to how I saw them but was very surprised to see that Sean Bean is playing Eddard Stark. With him having recently played Boromir in LOTR, did anyone find it hard to accept him as Ned? Is his performance here strong enough to distinguish from Boromir? I mean, LOTR is the quintessential modern day fantasy epic. Hard to believe HBO used one of the LOTR actors for such an important role.
Lord of the Rings is minor league compared to A Song of Ice and Fire.
:penalty:

Regarding end of Crows

Man I have read that Cerci to the Hiigh Septons chapter 10 times, just as good the 10th time. So Awesome :thumbup:

Do the show seasons correspond to the books? In other words, is season 1 'A Game of Thrones', ending exactly where the first book ended? So season 2 will be 'A Clash Of Kings', even though the series is titled AGOT?
Re the bold: More or less. There are a few things that happened at the very end of the book that I don't remember occurring on the show.Whether the other seasons will work the same way, I have no idea.
There were quite a few added scenes/dialogue throughout the season that weren't in the books. From what I understand, the second season will correspond to the second book. The third book will be split into two different seasons.

When people ask me my first tier is:ASOIAF - GRRMKingkiller Chronicles - RothfussThe Dresden Files - Jim ButcherSecond tier - with the caveat that Sanderson and Jordan don't have the adult/gritty feel that is contained in the others.WoT - Jordan/SandersonMistborn - SandersonWay of Kings - SandersonThe First Law Trilogy - AbercrombieThird Tier:Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erickson (this one takes a while to get into though because of you get bombarded with tons of history/characters and definitely has a different flavor than the others)Hobbit/LOTR - TolkienFarseer/Tawny Man - Hobb
This is a great list, read all but Dresden Files (maybe I should). I'd bump LOTR down a bit and put Locke Lamora in 2nd tier. As for Malazan, if you read it straight through and therefore can remember all the characters, and enjoy re-reading books to get things you missed the first time around, it could be 1st tier and could be one that ASOIAF fans might like best.

Re the bold: More or less. There are a few things that happened at the very end of the book that I don't remember occurring on the show.Whether the other seasons will work the same way, I have no idea.
There were quite a few added scenes/dialogue throughout the season that weren't in the books. From what I understand, the second season will correspond to the second book. The third book will be split into two different seasons.
Hold the phone...How did I not know/realize who Snommis was? :lmao:

When people ask me my first tier is:ASOIAF - GRRMKingkiller Chronicles - RothfussThe Dresden Files - Jim ButcherSecond tier - with the caveat that Sanderson and Jordan don't have the adult/gritty feel that is contained in the others.WoT - Jordan/SandersonMistborn - SandersonWay of Kings - SandersonThe First Law Trilogy - AbercrombieThird Tier:Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erickson (this one takes a while to get into though because of you get bombarded with tons of history/characters and definitely has a different flavor than the others)Hobbit/LOTR - TolkienFarseer/Tawny Man - Hobb
This is a great list, read all but Dresden Files (maybe I should). I'd bump LOTR down a bit and put Locke Lamora in 2nd tier. As for Malazan, if you read it straight through and therefore can remember all the characters, and enjoy re-reading books to get things you missed the first time around, it could be 1st tier and could be one that ASOIAF fans might like best.
I was a big fan of Terry Brooks in my pre-teen years. Not gritty but fun.

what do you guys think about dragonlance and the dark elf series?

They have their place - but in the grand scheme of things they aren't that great. I read those along with LOTR, Piers Anthony, and others in junior high/high school and thought they were good at the time. Unfortunately, they don't really hold up well as you are exposed to more intricate and detailed writing.

The first two Dresden Files books aren't that great - the rest are really good. Butcher does a great job blending different mythologies together and the characters are great. His books are also sprinkled with some great pop culture references and excellent humor/one liners. I won't say that the plots of the books are deep or complex - but the books are highly entertaining.I agree with Malazan - but I generally don't put it on the first tier because of how different it is compared to everything else. If that was the first series someone picked up to read, and they had little to no prior exposure to other fantasy series, they probably wouldn't make it through the book. I can't really think of any other series that has the level of magic used as in Malazan. It is about the opposite of ASOIAF as far as that goes.

I enjoy some of L.E Modesitt's work.... reading the Imager series right now...

When people ask me my first tier is:

ASOIAF - GRRM

Kingkiller Chronicles - Rothfuss

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Second tier - with the caveat that Sanderson and Jordan don't have the adult/gritty feel that is contained in the others.

WoT - Jordan/Sanderson

Mistborn - Sanderson

Way of Kings - Sanderson

The First Law Trilogy - Abercrombie

Third Tier:

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erickson (this one takes a while to get into though because of you get bombarded with tons of history/characters and definitely has a different flavor than the others)

Hobbit/LOTR - Tolkien

Farseer/Tawny Man - Hobb
THe first DL series was pretty much what made me a fantasy fan for life. I was in 6th grade when they came out and had read some Lloyd Alexander, tried the LotR and such, but Chronicles set the hook deep. I still have my first paperback copies, signed and end up re-reading them every couple of years. They're not gritty or adult themed, but they're what high fantasy is all about. Plus, their success pretty much launched the TSR book serieses. Didn't care for the Raistlin trilogy. But Chronicles I put up in the top tier, partly due to when and where I read them first. I tried other TSR books, including the early Drizzt stuff and don't care for it.Terry Brooks is interesting. I'm not a big fan of the Shannara books, but the Word and Void series is worth reading.

One series I forgot about is Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Pretty well thought out world, though hardly completely original. But a lot of the big reveals in the book aren't as bombastic, more thought provoking. Pen is mightier than the sword type of stuff. But there's plenty of swords too!

When people ask me my first tier is:

ASOIAF - GRRM

Kingkiller Chronicles - Rothfuss

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Second tier - with the caveat that Sanderson and Jordan don't have the adult/gritty feel that is contained in the others.

WoT - Jordan/Sanderson

Mistborn - Sanderson

Way of Kings - Sanderson

The First Law Trilogy - Abercrombie

Third Tier:

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erickson (this one takes a while to get into though because of you get bombarded with tons of history/characters and definitely has a different flavor than the others)

Hobbit/LOTR - Tolkien

Farseer/Tawny Man - Hobb
THe first DL series was pretty much what made me a fantasy fan for life. I was in 6th grade when they came out and had read some Lloyd Alexander, tried the LotR and such, but Chronicles set the hook deep. I still have my first paperback copies, signed and end up re-reading them every couple of years. They're not gritty or adult themed, but they're what high fantasy is all about. Plus, their success pretty much launched the TSR book serieses. Didn't care for the Raistlin trilogy. But Chronicles I put up in the top tier, partly due to when and where I read them first. I tried other TSR books, including the early Drizzt stuff and don't care for it.Terry Brooks is interesting. I'm not a big fan of the Shannara books, but the Word and Void series is worth reading.

One series I forgot about is Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Pretty well thought out world, though hardly completely original. But a lot of the big reveals in the book aren't as bombastic, more thought provoking. Pen is mightier than the sword type of stuff. But there's plenty of swords too!
This is pretty much what I think of DL, I was an avid gamer at the time and loved the books and the D&D adventures.Carry on.....

I keep watching that most recent trailer....awesome.

After watching season one again recently on HBO, I picked up the first book two weeks ago. I'm now half way through A Clash of Kings. Really enjoying these books and really looking forward to season two on HBO. Hoping I can finish the third book before April 1 too.

By the end of book 3 there's hardly anyone left to remember anyway. And they're going to need to put a ton more blood on that flag.
That's fur. We can only hope that the North remember by the end of the final book. It was originally entitled A Time For Wolves, so I hope the Starks get some retribution.

Where was this line spoken? I feel like it was in Swords and Crows?

By the end of book 3 there's hardly anyone left to remember anyway. And they're going to need to put a ton more blood on that flag.
That's fur. Isn't the wolf silhouette there on the fur a blood stain? I don't know why I assumed that was a flag.Yes, and it's awesome.

I picked up the first book two weeks ago. I'm now half way through A Clash of Kings.
Man I wish I could read this fast.
I must be at a 2nd grade reading level because I think it took me from the middle of Season 1 on HBO up until just a few weeks ago to read all the books and finish Dragons. Now, I only read a chapter before bed and a chapter while taking a dump at a time generally and took about a month off in the middle of Swords, so had some re-reading of that to do to make sense of things. But damn I am slow. It seems like some people finished Dragons in a day and that thing was 950+ pages in hardback!

I picked up the first book two weeks ago. I'm now half way through A Clash of Kings.
I must be at a 2nd grade reading level because I think it took me from the middle of Season 1 on HBO up until just a few weeks ago to read all the books and finish Dragons. Now, I only read a chapter before bed and a chapter while taking a dump at a time generally and took about a month off in the middle of Swords, so had some re-reading of that to do to make sense of things. But damn I am slow. It seems like some people finished Dragons in a day and that thing was 950+ pages in hardback!
I can get through maybe 4 pages a night before falling asleep.

Same here - not an easy read at all

I started with Book 1 right after the series finale and I have about 1/4 of Dragons left. The pace has slowed considerably since the baby arrived so I'm struggling to finish before the season 2 opener.

I started with Book 1 right after the series finale and I have about 1/4 of Dragons left. The pace has slowed considerably since the baby arrived so I'm struggling to finish before the season 2 opener.
That makes me feel better.

Days it took me to read the following, based on my posts in the book thread here...

AGOT: 55

ACOK: 175

ASOS: 109

AFFC: 119

ACOK figure is approximate but rest are dead on. That is embarrassingly slow.

I started Clash of Kings when the series ended. Probably finished Dragons about three weeks ago.

Was usually reading 2 chapters a night (unless it was one of those LONG chapters I wasn't terribly interested in).

Somehow banged out The Gunslinger in about 8 hours on an airplane, which was weird because it seemed like a tougher read.

ETA: :bag: Just realized the Gunslinger is only 300 pages. Came up as more like 600 in iBooks.

After watching season one again recently on HBO, I picked up the first book two weeks ago. I'm now half way through A Clash of Kings. Really enjoying these books and really looking forward to season two on HBO. Hoping I can finish the third book before April 1 too.
The subsequent posts made me feel a bit better, but man your post made me feel like a slow reader. I started A Game of Thrones maybe six weeks ago, and I'm about a fifth of the way through A Clash of Kings now. And I've been spending what feels like a lot of time with these books.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Crows. I think I'll take my time with this one so I don't have to wait so long for the paperback version of Dragons to come out (6/27/12 IRCC).

The subsequent posts made me feel a bit better, but man your post made me feel like a slow reader. I started A Game of Thrones maybe six weeks ago, and I'm about a fifth of the way through A Clash of Kings now. And I've been spending what feels like a lot of time with these books.
I started reading the series with some coworkers, so we've been kinda racing each other. It's pretty good motivation to read a lot so we can keep up with the discussions at work.

Read AGoT in a week, I was in Aruba and pretty much reading a couple hours a day on the beach. ACoK took maybe 2-3 weeks. ASoS took about a month. AFoC took probably 6-8 weeks. That was all back to back. ADoD took about 3-4 weeks.

Where can i get the dunk and egg stuff again? Is it available for ipad?
Two of them (last I checked) were on tower of the hand
I see the summaries. When something is adapted as a graphic novel, is the whole story still told?
In this case - almost, yes. The short stories are R rated like the books and the graphic novels are PG13. Ser Bennis of the Brown Shield is much better/funnier in the books for example.Excellent adaptations though.

Users who are viewing this thread