What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Todd Bowles, TAM (1 Viewer)

Made no sense not to take the timeout on third down after the Lions took a knee with like 30 seconds left on the clock (also made no sense for the Lions to put Bowles in a position to take a timeout with that much time on the clock).

I'd fire him. He quit.

The ball would have been somewhere around their own thirty-five at the least. You would have had twelve seconds left. What on earth. You run a play to get out of bounds and then throw a Hail Mary with Baker, who can throw the ball sixty yards. You give your team a chance.

Instead, with all that on the line, he chose not to. He folded his tent and quit.

I don't want that guy as my coach. I'm livid if I'm a GM or a player or anyone who has anything to do with anyone inside their building.

It actually would been about 30 seconds left (They kneed down at around 36 seconds) and the FG would been almost 50 yards not exactly a gimme.

If he missed the FG TB has 30 seconds and the ball around the 40 yard line.

I'd fire him. He quit.

The ball would have been somewhere around their own thirty-five at the least. You would have had twelve seconds left. What on earth. You run a play to get out of bounds and then throw a Hail Mary with Baker, who can throw the ball sixty yards. You give your team a chance.

Instead, with all that on the line, he chose not to. He folded his tent and quit.

I don't want that guy as my coach. I'm livid if I'm a GM or a player or anyone who has anything to do with anyone inside their building.
In the first half, when he punted instead of going for it on 4th we all felt like that's where he lost the game. Played scared.

I'd fire him. He quit.

I can't believe the media and sports talk shows haven't made a bigger deal of this.... As a fan of the NFL, I was screaming at the TV on how stupid the team was for not taking the TO. If I was the owner or GM I woulda have walked straight into the locker room and fired Bowles on the spot!!!!

I have to imagine the explanation is pretty simple. Detroit should have basically run the clock down to single digits before being forced to run a 4th down play. Knowing this, Bowles conceded to not waste everyone's time by calling a timeout (still not sure that's defensible, but I get it - Detroit theoretically should've been able to run around with the ball long enough to not give it back to the Bucs). Detroit inexplicably not using all of the clock on their kneeldowns didn't even register for Bowles, he'd already mentally checked out. Huge gaffes by both teams, imo. Bowles obviously should have used a timeout on third down but in his defense, who could have imagined Detroit would put him in a position to do so? I'd already changed the channel since there should've been no real opportunity for TB to get that ball back. I get the feeling Bowles had already changed the channel too. I mean, that's an inexcusable thing for an NFL head coach to do, I'm just guessing that's what happened.

Once Bowles didn’t call a timeout on the first kneel it felt like a gentleman’s agreement.
Yeah, I figured once the Lions see that, they're not monitoring the clock down to the second anymore.

If Bowles does take the timeout right away, maybe Goff has to wait a few seconds before kneeling each time, but the Lions can still kill the game without giving the ball back.

I don't really view this as "quitting" any more than when a basketball team stops fouling down 10 with 30 seconds to go.

Well, I guess if my options are losing or getting the ball back with 1 second left at the 1 yard line with 99 yards to get a TD and still need a 2pt conversion... I still think the decision is an absolute no brainer...

Once Bowles didn’t call a timeout on the first kneel it felt like a gentleman’s agreement.
Yeah, I figured once the Lions see that, they're not monitoring the clock down to the second anymore.

If Bowles does take the timeout right away, maybe Goff has to wait a few seconds before kneeling each time, but the Lions can still kill the game without giving the ball back.

I don't really view this as "quitting" any more than when a basketball team stops fouling down 10 with 30 seconds to go.
Any way you cut it... Bowles had an opportunity to call a timeout on 4th down with 35 seconds left...

Made no sense not to take the timeout on third down after the Lions took a knee with like 30 seconds left on the clock (also made no sense for the Lions to put Bowles in a position to take a timeout with that much time on the clock).
This. I didn't fault him for not taking the timeout after the first kneel down. That was basically useless if Detroit used the full play clock after that. But since Detroit screwed up and left him 30 seconds left why not call the timeout and force a kick. Anything can happen then. That was the asinine part.

Users who are viewing this thread