What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Healing And Moving Forward - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

Wow. Did you read the conversation that preceded that post? It had nothing to do with a disagreement about issues. 
Your analysis of me is pretty flawed if you think I don’t understand how anyone could disagree with me. It’s also pretty interesting because I’ve never read your name on this forum before today. 
I'm a long time lurker but rarely if ever post.  Feel free to check it out, i've been around for probably 20 years now.    I figured i'd get a quick shot in before i faded away again.  it was cheap and i don't like personal attacks but i couldn't help it.  I'm weak.  Mea culpa.

On non-political things (such as History) i enjoy your discourse.  And no, i only read part of it.  Like i said, mea culpa i couldn't resist based on your replies over the first two pages.

I disagree but that's cool. It's a pretty broad brush to be sure - but a pretty consistent observation.
Human nature, not political affiliation, causes people to react emotionally to a variety of stimuli. Certainly Trump elicits a visceral reaction in many, causing them not to give credit, even when he get things right.

Still, I think the hysterical liberal “orange man bad” stereotype is more frequently used to discount reasoned objection to his policy. It will be interesting to see how history views his presidency, though I suspect anything negative may be attributed to the “academic elitists” writing the textbooks.

ETA Interesting article on the topic - suggests conservatives are more fearful, while liberals were more likely to be angry/aggressive youth, among other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Human nature, not political affiliation, causes people to react emotionally to a variety of stimuli. Certainly Trump elicits a visceral reaction in many, causing them not to give credit, even when he get things right.

Still, I think the hysterical liberal “orange man bad” stereotype is more frequently used to discount reasoned objection to his policy. It will be interesting to see how history views his presidency, though I suspect anything negative may be attributed to the “academic elitists” writing the textbooks.
It will be facinating to see how History Views Trump.  (At least once the memory of how annoying he is fades a bit and we judge him more on his acts then his behavior.  There's no defending much of his behavior)  Whether you like Trump or Hate Trump, he was different

my Heavy suspiction is the the heavy dislike of the man will "trump" any realistic future views of his policy.  But who knows?

Just an observation from these types of posts now all over the internet...... Where were all of these calls for peace, harmony, rebuilding and healing before? Calling for these things based on a condition that has been met is not actually calling for these things. It is simply saying “now that things line up the way I think they should everyone else should now be happy to agree with me and we (meaning you) should heal together (meaning on your own).

The high road is easy to take when it’s paved with convenience.
I think the left is expected to take the high road, it's supposed to be part of their DNA, hell it was part of Hilary's campaigning (When they go low...). It was never expected of Trump. Look at his Twitter timeline over the last 4 years for all the evidence you'd ever need.

Should the left now be expected to still take the high road and be a uniting force after 4 years of Trump governing for only his people? I don't necessarily think so but I understand why many are hopeful they will. 

I think the left is expected to take the high road, it's supposed to be part of their DNA, hell it was part of Hilary's campaigning (When they go low...). It was never expected of Trump. Look at his Twitter timeline over the last 4 years for all the evidence you'd ever need.

Should the left now be expected to still take the high road and be a uniting force after 4 years of Trump governing for only his people? I don't necessarily think so but I understand why many are hopeful they will. 
And not only that, but they are trying to take the high road. They are trying to reach out. They are saying they would like to work together. And yet, we see posts like this how "it's easier to take the high road when you are on top".

So is it preferred that they say "that's what you get for supporting Trump, you lost, now you get to suck it up, the majority has spoken"? Or say "you got your judges and all your attacks these last 4 years, now it's our turn. Have fun"?

In other words, is there any way to act that would be acceptable from the right side that supported Trump? What would that way be?

But when Walter Cronkite or David Brinkley reported the news, no one said “fake news” or refused to believe it. People disagreed with each other but they disagreed from the same source. 
Well that was about the last time there were actually newspeople who actually REPORTED the news, not create their own versions  and slant eveyrthing like todays media.

Yes. Clearly Hillary Clinton had taking the high road as part of her DNA...

Speaking at a fundraiser in New York City on Friday, Hillary Clinton said half of Donald Trump’s supporters belong in a “basket of deplorables” characterized by “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic” views.

https://time.com/4486502/hillary-clinton-basket-of-deplorables-transcript/

I hate to be a pessimist, but the idea of healing and moving forward seems darn near impossible at this point. The Trump base is too pissed and irrationally angry about their guy losing to shake hands with "the enemy," and many on the opposite end of the spectrum are too busy being sore winners and wanting Trump and his biggest supporters to suffer to seriously consider coming together any time soon, despite any lip service they might given. And the Trump base was equally as obnoxious four years ago when it came to being sore winners. 

As for "fake news," that is too common of a phrase now; it's not going away.  And more often than not, it is used as a joke.  Heck, Al Michaels sarcastically referred to something as fake news during last night's football game, and honestly the more it gets used as a joke or punchline, the less serious more people will take it when someone tries to use it in a serious way, which is a good thing. 

Speaking at a fundraiser in New York City on Friday, Hillary Clinton said half of Donald Trump’s supporters belong in a “basket of deplorables” characterized by “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic” views.

The D word was an obvious mistake, but racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic views should never be accepted as ok as a part of any healing process.  

If taking the high road means accepting any of those views, then screw the high road.  

Hillary is still very bitter from losing to Trump and her spot in history. Looks like she will never get over it.

Remember in 2008 Hillary had a chance to make history on her own for a canidate and take a public stand for gay marriage but refused.  Obama did the same.  But they both changed their views when the political risk was diminished. Biden was persistant in opposing  gay marriage too.   Votes have a way of changing canidates views.

The #### that's going on with Trump and the Republicans trying to invalidate votes right now sure isn't helping me want to understand, forgive or forget.
I have to agree, never in my life have I seen someone get so upset at losing an election that they're willing to violate all known protocols(and maybe a few laws?) to try and change it, despite officials from both parties stating no fraud occurred. For what it's worth, here on the ground where I am in Florida, everyone seems relatively chilled out, so that's a plus. Still, the faster the courts can stop this, the better.

Pitchfork said:

There’s been two different sets of rules for my entire lifetime. The beltway media accepts republican daddies that have every right to throw the ashtray against the wall and democratic mommies who should clean everything up and make him a sandwich. It’s exhausting. 

There’s a lot of people in the country who still have a lot of respect for King George and are loyal to the crown. Shouldn’t we reach out to them and understand them a lot more? I mean are we really so different at the end of the day?All this tea dumping business is really just making the problem worse. It might make Thanksgiving really awkward. 

Letter from Birmingham Jail (ext)

By Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., 16 April 1963

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." 

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

Da Guru said:
Stoneworker said:

Hillary is still very bitter from losing to Trump and her spot in history. Looks like she will never get over it.

Remember in 2008 Hillary had a chance to make history on her own for a canidate and take a public stand for gay marriage but refused.  Obama did the same.  But they both changed their views when the political risk was diminished. Biden was persistant in opposing  gay marriage too.   Votes have a way of changing canidates views.
Your first sentence is likely true.  However, your second sentence here is unfair in context, as the article linked above is from 2016 before the election.  It's not a recent article.

Your second paragraph is absolutely true.  I wonder how 2008 would have turned out if HRC had come out in favor during the primaries?  I wonder how the general would have turned out had Obama/Biden come out in favor?

The immediate barrier to any potential healing is this:  polling suggests around 70% of Republicans do not accept the results of this election: they believe, without evidence, that it was stolen from Donald Trump. 
How can we heal with this as a prevalent belief? 

Amonra said:
One more post before i disappear again;

I'm ok with Joe Biden.  I think he'll do a solid job.  After 4 years of Trump and 8 years of Obama Biden is the right man for the job.  Biden is no liberal, he's a pretty solid middle of the road sort.  I'm worried he's too old, and i'm worried about the people advising him...  but once Trump accepts things (and he will..  eventually) then it will quiet down and we'll get back to "normalcy". 

Now that said, the Republicans aren't going to blindly pass whatever Bill Biden wants passed.  Why should they?  There will still be bickering, and fun-filled tales of Hunter Biden running amok. And both sides will whine about how the other side won't do what they want them to do. That's politics.  It's nothing to get concerned over.

Who is Bill Biden?

The immediate barrier to any potential healing is this:  polling suggests around 70% of Republicans do not accept the results of this election: they believe, without evidence, that it was stolen from Donald Trump. 

Hence the reason that appeasing Trump (which apparently is what the rest of the GOP is apt to do) is so dangerous. 

gianmarco said:
And not only that, but they are trying to take the high road. They are trying to reach out. They are saying they would like to work together. And yet, we see posts like this how "it's easier to take the high road when you are on top".

So is it preferred that they say "that's what you get for supporting Trump, you lost, now you get to suck it up, the majority has spoken"? Or say "you got your judges and all your attacks these last 4 years, now it's our turn. Have fun"?

In other words, is there any way to act that would be acceptable from the right side that supported Trump? What would that way be?
"Yes.  We agree that Trump was cheated.  Trump won the 2020 election".  That's pretty much it.  Past few days, the more I talk to my Trump friends/family.....the more I realize this thing hit them like a ton of bricks as they (despite what the polls said) felt there was NO WAY Biden could beat Trump in a fair election.  It's beyond comprehension.  

"Yes.  We agree that Trump was cheated.  Trump won the 2020 election".  That's pretty much it.  Past few days, the more I talk to my Trump friends/family.....the more I realize this thing hit them like a ton of bricks as they (despite what the polls said) felt there was NO WAY Biden could beat Trump in a fair election.  It's beyond comprehension.  
And why do they believe this? Because their news sources told them so. Which brings us back to the central problem. 

And why do they believe this? Because their news sources told them so. Which brings us back to the central problem. 
Exactly.

To that, FOX NEWS seems to be holding a line in regards to this...while FOX OPINION is not.  Most Conservatives sites on The Line though seem to be Corner Boys in The Wire...... "GOT THAT VOTER FRAUD STORY, YO! PA VOTER FRAUD STORY HERE!"

Actually the central problem is Trump started it and then there's other duly elected officials and organizations willing to amplify that line of thinking.

Actually the central problem is Trump started it and then there's other duly elected officials and organizations willing to amplify that line of thinking.
As has been pointed out many times on a variety of issues: Trump’s statements would be meaningless except for the fact that there are millions of people eager to accept them. 

As has been pointed out many times on a variety of issues: Trump’s statements would be meaningless except for the fact that there are millions of people eager to accept them. 
This is where my particular disconnect happens. The man lies nearly constantly, on easily verifiable stuff, too. Why would anyone believe someone who does that?

This is where my particular disconnect happens. The man lies nearly constantly, on easily verifiable stuff, too. Why would anyone believe someone who does that?
Because they don't think he's lying.  As much as Joe diminishes the news side of this, Fox/Facebook/etc. do provide validity to what he/the Republican leadership say.  I mean it's much the same feedback mechanism as the coastal elites and the NYTimes or CNN.  I'd argue social media is an even stronger reinforcer than traditional media as the feedback loop is even quicker and self selecting, but I do think these social media platforms have made these feedback loops even stronger than the media landscape 20 years ago and further push away the two camps. 

Twenty years ago I didn't have to turn on Fox, now I get some of this in my timeline and frankly just shake my head and say how can anyone believe that.  I'm sure Trump supporters do that as well.  

Lets be blunt!  For there to be any healing and moving forward the current GOP needs to be willing to compromise.  Until the day happens where "compromise" is a positive rather than an unforgivable weakness there will be no moving forward.  There will be no healing.  And there is no "both sides" here!

But yes there are those on the left that are unwilling to compromise.  But they have no power.  And this list does not contain Bernie Sanders who is celebrated for voting for horrible bills in exchange for an amendment he believes in.  As well as it does not include AOC who has figured out how to use compromise for her own purposes.  And it did not include "elections have consequences" Obama or the democratic majorities that passed ObamaCare and other items as they were desperate for the bipartisan label on their actions.   Too desperate!    No the uncompromising folks on the left are those that reject establishment democrats, denounce incrementalists and willfully give up any power they might yield if they only were willing to compromise.  That  is a problem, but it wouldn't stand in the way if the senate and house leadership started to work together to find common ground.   To move us forward.  To start the healing!  

Maybe start with the 30%? That's 21 million people right there.

Unification only occurs by focusing on areas of agreement/commonality, then expanding outwards. Not highlighting differences and then immediately throwing up hands in disgust and frustration.

Maybe start with the 30%? That's 21 million people right there.

Unification only occurs by focusing on areas of agreement/commonality, then expanding outwards. Not highlighting differences and then immediately throwing up hands in disgust and frustration.
But the way things work right now, those 30% might just as well not exist.  I'm guessing that if you are part of that 30% you hate me saying it, but you hate even more feeling it everyday.   To get things done GOP elected officials can't fear that 70% to such a degree that they are unwilling to even look for common ground because that "weakness" gets them out of office.  Unfortunately that has been the reality since the GOP went "populist", went "politiphobe"  and reject the "contentious give-and-take of politics".

I agree completely.  This isn't like an issue such as abortion or capital punishment, where I can at least understand the other side of the argument and there is valid debate to be had.  We're talking about things that are objectively wrong like racism, covid being not a big deal, etc.  Healing is not worth it if we have to pretend like these stances are ok for people to hold.  

I agree completely.  This isn't like an issue such as abortion or capital punishment, where I can at least understand the other side of the argument and there is valid debate to be had.  We're talking about things that are objectively wrong like racism, covid being not a big deal, etc.  Healing is not worth it if we have to pretend like these stances are ok for people to hold.  
I think it is a losing proposition to wait for people to not hold horrible, dare I say deplorable positions before bringing them along as we as a nation try to heal and move forward.  People are complex beings and we can use the good as we try to get past the bad.  Besides sooner or later my flaws are going to expose themselves...

ETA- The question is whether they are willing to join the ride?  

But the way things work right now, those 30% might just as well not exist.  I'm guessing that if you are part of that 30% you hate me saying it, but you hate even more feeling it everyday.   To get things done GOP elected officials can't fear that 70% to such a degree that they are unwilling to even look for common ground because that "weakness" gets them out of office.  Unfortunately that has been the reality since the GOP went "populist", went "politiphobe"  and reject the "contentious give-and-take of politics".
That's cool. I guess we quickly went in the other direction from 70% that are forever hopeless to 100%. Congrats on the Democrats' win. Good luck pushing your agenda facing another four years of partisanship.

I think it is a losing proposition to wait for people to not hold horrible, dare I say deplorable positions before bringing them along as we as a nation try to heal and move forward.  People are complex beings and we can use the good as we try to get past the bad.  Besides sooner or later my flaws are going to expose themselves...

ETA- The question is whether they are willing to join the ride?  
This is what I was driving at when I posted before:

Politics was much better when one showed up at the voting booth hoping the political choices one made outnumbered the others.

Just outnumber them. The virality provided by the Internet has stoked a deep need for validation of one's political views. This desire for validation has made politics deeply personal. Just show up and vote. Outvote the other side. Move on.

Instead we create avenues of conversation that were built with good intentions that eventually warp themselves into meaningless (and at times hateful) back-and-forths. We need to be right, to be validated.

I think discussing political issues is cool and fine and dandy. But campaigns are the only ones that should have the onus of convincing someone that doesn't agree with you. Internet's done let the genie out of the bottle.

The virality provided by the Internet has stoked a deep need for validation of one's political views.
And it ain't just politics. The potential reach of one's platform has convinced far too many the universe is egocentric.

Lets be blunt!  For there to be any healing and moving forward the current GOP needs to be willing to compromise.  Until the day happens where "compromise" is a positive rather than an unforgivable weakness there will be no moving forward.  There will be no healing.  And there is no "both sides" here!

But yes there are those on the left that are unwilling to compromise.  But they have no power.  And this list does not contain Bernie Sanders who is celebrated for voting for horrible bills in exchange for an amendment he believes in.  As well as it does not include AOC who has figured out how to use compromise for her own purposes.  And it did not include "elections have consequences" Obama or the democratic majorities that passed ObamaCare and other items as they were desperate for the bipartisan label on their actions.   Too desperate!    No the uncompromising folks on the left are those that reject establishment democrats, denounce incrementalists and willfully give up any power they might yield if they only were willing to compromise.  That  is a problem, but it wouldn't stand in the way if the senate and house leadership started to work together to find common ground.   To move us forward.  To start the healing!  
That's right. Only three Senators on the Republican side could have stopped any actions of the last four years. I can't think of one time they grew a spine and stood up to extremists. 

Just outnumber them. The virality provided by the Internet has stoked a deep need for validation of one's political views. This desire for validation has made politics deeply personal. Just show up and vote. Outvote the other side. Move on.
What do you think about the fact dems have won the popular vote 7 out of 8 presidential  elections? Not much to show for outvoting them.  The system is structurally tilted and that in itself lends to some unwillingness to compromise. The Senate is regularly ruled by Republican Senators who have less collective votes than the Dems. Drives me crazy.

I think discussing political issues is cool and fine and dandy. But campaigns are the only ones that should have the onus of convincing someone that doesn't agree with you. Internet's done let the genie out of the bottle.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "campaign" but I think I disagree.  If you believe in something strongly such a Gay Marriage in the recent past, or maybe you are big on FairTax like a few around here are, or a universal basic income like the smart ;)  folks are around here, or pro Medicare for All, or whatever then I think it good that one advocates sometimes endlessly for that position.   Granted if someone is arguing against you they probably aren't going to be convinced anytime soon (or ever), but maybe a lurker or two will join your position.  Maybe we don't change much of the world from this "fake football" message board but it is not true that we don't change minds participating and how else are we supposed to gain an understanding of other perspectives - the empathy - if we don't engage?   Sure those discussions can go bad just like any other; can turn inappropriately personal - guilty!; and some minds are never going to change; and there are plenty who don't like being anywhere near the mud that is just politics; and whatever else but those discussions are what is missed around here.   

But again maybe I missed your point!

What do you think about the fact dems have won the popular vote 7 out of 8 presidential  elections? Not much to show for outvoting them.  The system is structurally tilted and that in itself lends to some unwillingness to compromise. The Senate is regularly ruled by Republican Senators who have less collective votes than the Dems. Drives me crazy.
I don't see what it has to do with maintaining a well-mannered discourse about politics. I completely understand how frustrating it is to lose.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "campaign" but I think I disagree.  If you believe in something strongly such a Gay Marriage in the recent past, or maybe you are big on FairTax like a few around here are, or a universal basic income like the smart ;)  folks are around here, or pro Medicare for All, or whatever then I think it good that one advocates sometimes endlessly for that position.   Granted if someone is arguing against you they probably aren't going to be convinced anytime soon (or ever), but maybe a lurker or two will join your position.  Maybe we don't change much of the world from this "fake football" message board but it is not true that we don't change minds participating and how else are we supposed to gain an understanding of other perspectives - the empathy - if we don't engage?   Sure those discussions can go bad just like any other; can turn inappropriately personal - guilty!; and some minds are never going to change; and there are plenty who don't like being anywhere near the mud that is just politics; and whatever else but those discussions are what is missed around here.   

But again maybe I missed your point!
I like to see passionately researched, convincing arguments - much like a debate. In fact, as you so implied, I did indeed become an ardent supporter of UBI many years ago thanks to things I read here and elsewhere. :)

Being too invested in the outcome of one's arguments is where things turn ugly imo.

I have no patience for any of this. When millions of white people got upset about the death of Jim Crow, and 14 year old girls were getting spit on for trying to go to school, nobody did any hand-wringing and said "but maybe we should understand their point of view."

When Reagan kicked Carter and Mondale's rear across 48 states, nobody stopped to ask about the poor liberals who felt excluded. 

When Gore got shafted, I don't remember people giving consideration to think-pieces written asking won't we please think of the democrats' feelings. 

And Trump has been taking an enormous dump on all those people who disagree with him for 4 years straight, but now -- NOW we want to talk about "healing." NO. WAY. IN. HELL. Let people sit in their own juices. They'll either get over it or not. I'm tired of the liberals in this country having to be the adults.

Trump, McConnel, and Fox news CONTINUE to spew lies about voter fraud, while trying to sow discord. They can pound sand for all I care.  

All I care about is halfway competent and decent governance. I don't have the energy to give two whits about making people feel better. They can either come along or not.

Users who are viewing this thread