What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hexclad (and cookware thread) (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Considering buying these to use for everything. Received a Hexclad wok as a gift last year and I've liked how it cooks and how easy it is to clean. However, I'm curious if anyone here has some of these and their thoughts. Some reviews are great, others at reddit not so much. I'm surprised a search for Hexclad brings up absolutely nothing here.

We have mostly Calphalon stuff right now and I've never really liked it, have had to have several pans and pots replaced over the years (at least they honor the lifetime warranty), and finally looking to move on. The other recommended option I'm seeing is All-Clad, which I'm open to getting, but haven't ever really used stainless steel for most of my daily cooking.

I have a cast iron skillet I use. I have a dutch oven. This is for pots and pans for most daily cooking.

So, let's hear it.

Last edited:
Considering buying these to use for everything. Received a Hexclad wok as a gift last year and I've liked how it cooks and how easy it is to clean. However, I'm curious if anyone here has some of these and their thoughts. Some reviews are great, others at reddit not so much. I'm surprised a search for Hexclad brings up absolutely nothing here.

We have mostly Calphalon stuff right now and I've never really liked it, have had to have several pans and pots replaced over the years (at least they honor the lifetime warranty), and finally looking to move on. The other recommended option I'm seeing is All-Clad, which I'm open to getting, but haven't ever really used stainless steel for most of my daily cooking.

I have a cast iron skillet I use. I have a dutch oven. This is for pots and pans for most daily cooking.

So, let's hear it.
Stainless steel Calphalon will last you a lifetime. Are you talking about their non-stick frying pans? we have had to replace one or two of those over the years.

I would love the Hexclad, but the price is a bit steep if you ask me.

So, let's hear it.
Stainless steel Calphalon will last you a lifetime. Are you talking about their non-stick frying pans? we have had to replace one or two of those over the years.

Yes, non stick. It was even the "professional" grade, thinking it would last longer, but not the case.

So, let's hear it.

Yes, non stick. It was even the "professional" grade, thinking it would last longer, but not the case.
Agree with you there. That is why I pause at the price of these Hexclads. Not sure how they will hold up as well.

We started with All-Clad. Stainless is fine, but the longevity on their non-stick was meh, even using only silicon tools on it. Not worth it for the price. Tried Calphalon next for non-stick, and it wasn't any better.

My wife found this company called Green Pan and ordered a set of their non-stick. It's a bluer color than most non-stock, and it's pretty awesome so far. We've had it for about 8 months, and most of the pans still look good as new. Added bonus, one of the pans in our 3-pan set arrived damaged, so they sent a full new set and had us keep the other set, so we have 6 (1 a bit dinged) for the price of 3...and they're cheaper than All-Clad or Calphalon.

I'd recommend checking out Green Pan if you haven't considered them. We have the Valencia specifically.

We've had very good luck with Misen. We have a couple of their non-stick pans that get very regular use. We do store them with small towels in between them. I only use silicon or wood tools but I know my wife uses metal on occasion. We've had them at least 5-6 years and they are still in great shape. I do prefer my Misen Carbon Steel pan now that is well seasoned for any kind of searing. I like stainless for making brown butter since it's easier to see the bits form but other than that don't use it often.

I do prefer my Misen Carbon Steel pan now that is well seasoned for any kind of searing.

It's taken me a long time but I gave up on non-stick coated pans. I use carbon steel for pans and woks. Stainless for pots. Mostly this Vollrath, this De Buyer but also some different sized woks. I also have a few cheap restaurant supply pans that are very nearly as good as the made in France brand names. Once properly seasoned they are as slippery as anything I ever had. They're superior to cast iron for everything, imo. I can do the egg test in any of them. It will slide around like it's on ice.

I just looked at the price of Hexclad. Yeah, no. The stainless pots were my mom's purchased in the 80s. Yup, they'll last a lifetime, look like new. Pretty sure the same will prove true of the carbon steel too.

I bought a set of 3 T-Fal non-stick fry pans at Costco a year ago. About $30. I use them alot, quessadillas with a drop of OO, sautéed veggies, tofu, faux meat. My roommate cooks eggs, fried rice, chicken, fish. So far, no issues. Overheating will destroy non-stick frying pans.

Good thread. My wife said she wanted to get me Hexclad for my birthday but was shocked at the price. I just looked at some oxo reviews based off this thread and bought those. Much better price.

Just watched this video re: Hexclad

Doing more research on this and from the comments here, I'm likely going to find something else. I think I would like them and, for the way I cook, it would work well. I actually don't need/want a true non-stick pan as I typically cook with enough fat/oil. It seems having stainless steel or carbon steel for pans and stainless steel for pots is the general recommendation at this point (unless you already have cast iron) and then one cheap non stick (which I honestly don't think I need).

I might try the All Clad D3 12 inch pan first by itself and see how I like it and if I can use/enjoy cooking with SS for most of my stuff and, if so, then look at getting more. If not, then I will probably look at the carbon steel options.

Really appreciate some of the feedback here and hope it helps others as well.

Someone here (I think) alerted me to these from Sam's Club.

We got them in November and they've been rock solid. And at $35 you can replace them every 6 months and still be ahead compared to those $350 sets

ETA: Of course it was @cosjobs

I’ve been in the restaurant business, my whole life. Best advice I can give you learn to cook on stainless steel. Any of the nonstick are going to wear some quicker than others, but all are gonna wear. a good set of stainless will last you the rest of your life And will produce better food results once you learn how to cook with them. Made-In makes some fantastic restaurant quality pans.

Best advice I can give you learn to cook on stainless steel.
I think the good advice is also learn to cook with different types of pans. A good non stick is essential for certain things, as is a good cast iron, and as you alluded to a good stainless

A good non stick is essential for certain things,
While I understand your point, I disagree. No good Restaurant carries nonstick pans. They’re not essential. Now are they convenient, absolutely. And I have them in my home kitchen. But I view them as disposable, buy a cheapish nonstick, use it for a year or two throw it away and start over.

This was my approach for the last few non-stick pans. Walmarts's bottom of the line Mainstay stack of three for $20 stayed non sticky as long as Costco's, Calphalon's etc. With the carbon steel pans properly seasoned they're non-stick as anything. Stainless can be non sticky-ish with the right technique, but it's not a perfect process for me. I can't think of one single thing cast iron does better than carbon steel. I can't think of one thing coated non-stick pans do better than carbon steel. My brother spent 25 years in the restaurant business and said the pans were always carbon steel, the pots stainless. If offered a $200 Hexclad in exchange for a $20 carbon steel pan from the restaurant supply I linked to above, I'd say no thanks.

While I understand your point, I disagree. No good Restaurant carries nonstick pans. They’re not essential. Now are they convenient, absolutely. And I have them in my home kitchen. But I view them as disposable, buy a cheapish nonstick, use it for a year or two throw it away and start over.
For the home cook they are essential. And I have been in plenty of restaurants that use non stick for egg and fish dishes

For the home cook they are essential. And I have been in plenty of restaurants that use non stick for egg and fish dishes
Not in my home, and I make omelettes regularly. They swirl around in that Vollrath carbon steel pan.

the Hexclad doesn't look worth it to me (attached America's Test Kitchen review)

we got the oxo non-stick for about $30 and will just replace them in a few years - works great
This is what we bought last time as well. And, to be honest, OXO has really good reviews.
As my Calphalon nonstick pans wear out, I replace them with OXO pans. The OXO pans are working well and the first one I purchased a year ago is still in great shape. Be great to get 3 years out of them.

This was my approach for the last few non-stick pans. Walmarts's bottom of the line Mainstay stack of three for $20 stayed non sticky as long as Costco's, Calphalon's etc. With the carbon steel pans properly seasoned they're non-stick as anything. Stainless can be non sticky-ish with the right technique, but it's not a perfect process for me. I can't think of one single thing cast iron does better than carbon steel. I can't think of one thing coated non-stick pans do better than carbon steel. My brother spent 25 years in the restaurant business and said the pans were always carbon steel, the pots stainless. If offered a $200 Hexclad in exchange for a $20 carbon steel pan from the restaurant supply I linked to above, I'd say no thanks.
Don’t have any real experience with carbon steel, will have to give that a shot. Been in the biz for close to 30 years too at this point and stainless has always been the way. But have heard good things about the carbon.
My home cookware is a set of Calphalon brass/stainless steel that I received as a gift at my wedding 15yrs ago. The’ve been used 6/7 days a week ever since and are in perfect condition still. Love’em.

Don’t have any real experience with carbon steel, will have to give that a shot. Been in the biz for close to 30 years too at this point and stainless has always been the way. But have heard good things about the carbon.
My home cookware is a set of Calphalon brass/stainless steel that I received as a gift at my wedding 15yrs ago. The’ve been used 6/7 days a week ever since and are in perfect condition still. Love’em.

If you know how to cook with stainless it probably is as good as it gets, but it is a skill. The carbon steel properly seasoned is like cooking with teflon. There is a drawback. Like cast iron it's not good for things like acids and sauces or boils. The seasoning that makes it non-stick can release and well, not good. So stainless pots for that kind of cooking. I watched a youtube searing contest between cast iron, carbon steel and stainless. Stainless won. Carbon steel and cast iron tied. Thing is carbon steel is lighter than cast iron. Heats up and cools down faster. I gave my cast iron away.

So, let's hear it.
LOVE our All-Clad stuff. Got it in our wedding registry, and it is amazing and running full steam. I kind of expect it to last forever. It's very versatile, it looks great, and it cooks amazing. I've added more all-clad stuff over time because it's so good (like I wanted a saucier in addition to our saucepans to get better whisking for some dishes).

I tried hex clad at a friend's once, so very small sample, but it felt like it wasn't as non stick as the simple calphalon pan I use for eggs (legit only use it for eggs and potstickers, nothing else ever lol) or as an all clad heated up and then with cold oil added (like you should!).

If you do super hot stuff (like sear, or very high heat oven), all-clad seems better.

I can't think of one single thing cast iron does better than carbon steel.
Deep dish pizza

If you click on my restaurant supply link above, there's an 18" Tramontina carbon steel paella pan on that page. I use it like a pizza steel, and the raised edge makes it just like cast iron for deep dish. But again, lighter weight, heats up faster, cools down faster. Minor perhaps, but the deep dish result is the same, not better. And who wants to wield an 18" cast iron? What a beast that would be.

eta: Also that 18" pan fits perfectly on my 18" Weber and voila an 18" flat top for burgers.

edit again: there's much smaller paella pans that will make a more reasonable sized deep dish in your oven.

Last edited:
not sure if brought up, but we have made-in cookware....one of the smaller sets with a couple pans and 3 pots.....pretty happy with it thus far.

I find that 90% of my family's cooking is done with the 11" and 13" pans. The non-stick Anolon surfaces are mostly gone. Might have to invest in 2 good carbon steel 12" & 14" pans to replace them. It'd be nice to know were not consuming flakes of metal as well.

I have a grill pan and a larger covered pan. I regret buying them. They can’t do high heat and get trashed easily. Stick to other stuff imo

I have a grill pan and a larger covered pan. I regret buying them. They can’t do high heat and get trashed easily. Stick to other stuff imo
I bought mine a few years ago before all the hype started. It’s been just okay. Some of the coating is starting to come off. I do like sautéeing and then throwing in the oven with certain things. But would probably not buy again at this point unless they’ve changed quality.

So, let's hear it.
LOVE our All-Clad stuff. Got it in our wedding registry, and it is amazing and running full steam. I kind of expect it to last forever. It's very versatile, it looks great, and it cooks amazing. I've added more all-clad stuff over time because it's so good (like I wanted a saucier in addition to our saucepans to get better whisking for some dishes).

I tried hex clad at a friend's once, so very small sample, but it felt like it wasn't as non stick as the simple calphalon pan I use for eggs (legit only use it for eggs and potstickers, nothing else ever lol) or as an all clad heated up and then with cold oil added (like you should!).

If you do super hot stuff (like sear, or very high heat oven), all-clad seems better.
Decided on getting this set

With a 15% off coupon, that's going to be tough to beat for $700 total and that quality. Hopefully the last time I ever have to buy these.

So, let's hear it.

Decided on getting this set

With a 15% off coupon, that's going to be tough to beat for $700 total and that quality. Hopefully the last time I ever have to buy these.
I think that's exactly what I have. LOVE them. When I'm home, use daily. I can't speak to lifetime, but they are (although a little less clean, I need to do a good Barkeep's Friend cleaning) basically in the same 100% condition as when purchased in spite of heavy use so they're good for at least 6 years lol.

I've been very happy with a Tramontina stainless steel skillet. Also have a couple of Green Pans that work well.
I picked up a set from Tramontina back on black Friday, and it's been great. I never expected to have opinions on this sort of thing, but I very strongly prefer cooking with stainless steel vs. cast iron, with eggs being the main exception.

I was in the business for over twenty years and never once saw a non-stick pan in any of the restaurants I worked at or visited. In addition, I have family that have been in the restaurant biz longer than I and they've never seen a non-stick pan in a restaurant kitchen, either. While it's possible there are restaurants out there that use non-stick, my experience tells me it's certainly not "plenty" of them.

I was in the business for over twenty years and never once saw a non-stick pan in any of the restaurants I worked at or visited. In addition, I have family that have been in the restaurant biz longer than I and they've never seen a non-stick pan in a restaurant kitchen, either. While it's possible there are restaurants out there that use non-stick, my experience tells me it's certainly not "plenty" of them.
:shrug:

When I made that post I was just recently in two different breakfast/lunch places and both times saw omelette guy rocking a non stick.

True. My restaurant also has a team of 2-3 dishwashers. One is devoted strictly to pots and pans and all the heavy work that doesn’t go through the machine. at home, that’s me. We cook with both. Mostly non stick or cast iron

True. My restaurant also has a team of 2-3 dishwashers. One is devoted strictly to pots and pans and all the heavy work that doesn’t go through the machine. at home, that’s me. We cook with both. Mostly non stick or cast iron
I certainly don’t want to belabor the point, but in my experience (coming up on 30yrs in Food and Beverage running or owning restaurants and food service kitchens, overseeing 35 currently) non-stick is not thing. I’m sure there are exceptions, as there is for anything, but the non-durable nature of them make them impractical to any scale in a busy kitchen. An omelette station at a hotel or brunch spot? Sure. But again that’s an exception.

I certainly don’t want to belabor the point, but in my experience (coming up on 30yrs in Food and Beverage running or owning restaurants and food service kitchens, overseeing 35 currently) non-stick is not thing. I’m sure there are exceptions, as there is for anything, but the non-durable nature of them make them impractical to any scale in a busy kitchen. An omelette station at a hotel or brunch spot? Sure. But again that’s an exception.
Agreed. For heavy use, non stick is not the way to go

Agreed. For heavy use, non stick is not the way to go
What do you recommend for knives? All Victorinox?

At the same time, just because restaurants don't regularly use them doesn't mean they don't have a place for home use.

I'm excited to try and transition to all stainless steel but I'm expecting a learning curve for sure.

After reading comments in here along with watching some of those videos, I figured it would be the best fit for me.

Cast iron -- I have one and will still use for certain things, but the weight and cleaning/seasoning isn't ideal for me for every day use

Carbon steel -- Calling it cast iron 2.0 seems appropriate. Much lighter, but would still require more maintenance than I want.

Stainless steel -- The biggest "drawback" is that you need to pay more attention and it's less forgiving with mistakes in temperature. That's where the Hexclad would have been nice. But I feel like I'm ok with that and feel like it'll be ideal once I get the hang of it.

Hexclad -- The one pan I have has really been nice for certain things. Still looks brand new after a year. But, my concern was, for the cost, not knowing how well the non stick would eventually last. These are too new to know how they stand up long term so I decided to go with the known. That said, it otherwise seems like stainless steel but more forgiving. I think it has a place for people at home.

Non-stick -- I've realized from posts here that the expectation is it just won't last. Buy cheap and replace. I'm going to try and do without and see how it goes, but I find myself missing it, I'm going to grab one of those Tramontina pans and use until needing to be replaced.

I'm far from an expert cook but I'm definitely much better than I was 5-10 years ago and I enjoy doing it and trying to get better. Anyway, we will see how this transition goes.

Users who are viewing this thread