What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you think playoff ties should be resolved? (1 Viewer)

We had a tie in the semifinals in one of my leagues this past week. What do you think is the best way to award a berth in the finals? Note: I'd rather hear how you think it *should* be resolved, rather than how it is currently resolved in your league(s).

- Joe

If tied using existing top tiebreaker (VP or record), the next tiebreaker should be total points. It is the best indicator of team strength IMO. If still tied after total points, then use either power rank or H2H. I hate using H2H as the top tiebreaker.

Edited: Sorry, my post is related to standings tiebreakers. not game tiebreaker. In a couple of leagues we do a high scoring non-starter as a tiebreaker, but as @travdogg said, I also like higher seed advances. We do that in my dynasty baseball league.

Last edited:
I do not think the regular season should matter...it is over, and it is now the playoffs...I think you need to use stats from the game:

#1-Total TDs by starters
#2-Total yardage by starters
#3-Total points by bench

Outside of the box here - team a is in the finals (won semifinals), teams b and c tied. Make all three submit a lineup. If you pay out top 2, Team A cannot finish lower than 2nd since they won last week. Team A wins title if he has top score of the three. The low score of B and C is 3rd place no matter what A does.

Outside of the box here - team a is in the finals (won semifinals), teams b and c tied. Make all three submit a lineup. If you pay out top 2, Team A cannot finish lower than 2nd since they won last week. Team A wins title if he has top score of the three. The low score of B and C is 3rd place no matter what A does.
Very creative alternative to the traditional solutions. Do you have this in any of your leagues?

I like the creativity, but I don’t like team A having to outscore 2 teams in order to finish in first place.

Very creative alternative to the traditional solutions. Do you have this in any of your leagues?
No but we had something similar, changed it when the NFL went to 18 weeks.

Lots of different ways:
* Combined bench points of 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR
* Combined bench points of all on bench
* Score of one specific bench position
* Total TDs scored by starting lineup
* score of one specific starting position
* total yards by starting lineup
* number of receptions by starting lineup

We go with the highest scoring starter is the tie break. Keep going down the list until the tie is broken. Never had to go past player #2 to break the tie. This way it rewards your starting lineup for that week and the MVP (highest scorer in the game) pushes his team on to the next week.

Personally I think highest seed is the fairest way, although other ideas here could work as well. A tie out to two decimal places is quite rare.

For this season, I don't think you should choose something after the fact and at this point I would just flip a coin or use some other random way like a horse race or something.

We go with the highest scoring starter is the tie break. Keep going down the list until the tie is broken. Never had to go past player #2 to break the tie. This way it rewards your starting lineup for that week and the MVP (highest scorer in the game) pushes his team on to the next week.
I forgot, we do have highest scoring picked non-starter as a tiebreaker in a couple of leagues. My initial post was related to standings tiebreakers....oops.

We tried this one year when there was a semi-final tie. The problem became the team that won their game outright had to then beat two teams. Sadly, there is no good way to adjudicate the outcome of a tie after the fact. IIRC, we ended up having two SB games. Team A vs Team B and Team A vs Team C (with final game prize pool cut in half for each game). First place was supposed to be $1,000 and second place $500. Team went 1-1, so that team ended up with $750, Team B won $500, Team C won $250. Since everyone was unhappy by that outcome, that was probably the best resolution.

Things I have seen used as tie breakers or alternative end of season solutions (but all in the rules beforehand):
- Higher seed wins
- Each team designates a tie breaking bench player before that week's game, higher scoring of the two player wins
- Team with most total points from the entire bench / non-starters wins
- Team with highest scoring individual player in weekly lineup wins
- Team with highest scoring bench player wins
- Team with most TD scored in active lineup wins

One of the more interesting ways to run the playoffs was as follows . . . only 4 teams make the playoffs, but at that point it switched from record to total points.
- Have no semi-final matches but 4 playoff teams play total combined points scored over two playoff weeks, most total points wins.

I forgot, we do have highest scoring picked non-starter as a tiebreaker in a couple of leagues. My initial post was related to standings tiebreakers....oops.
I prefer having it be the highest scoring starter. If you go with the non-starter you are rewarding an owner for a bad lineup decision. hhahahahaa

We tried this one year when there was a semi-final tie. The problem became the team that won their game outright had to then beat two teams. Sadly, there is no good way to adjudicate the outcome of a tie after the fact. IIRC, we ended up having two SB games. Team A vs Team B and Team A vs Team C (with final game prize pool cut in half for each game). First place was supposed to be $1,000 and second place $500. Team went 1-1, so that team ended up with $750, Team B won $500, Team C won $250. Since everyone was unhappy by that outcome, that was probably the best resolution.

Things I have seen used as tie breakers or alternative end of season solutions (but all in the rules beforehand):
- Higher seed wins
- Each team designates a tie breaking bench player before that week's game, higher scoring of the two player wins
- Team with most total points from the entire bench / non-starters wins
- Team with highest scoring individual player in weekly lineup wins
- Team with highest scoring bench player wins
- Team with most TD scored in active lineup wins

One of the more interesting ways to run the playoffs was as follows . . . only 4 teams make the playoffs, but at that point it switched from record to total points.
- Have no semi-final matches but 4 playoff teams play total combined points scored over two playoff weeks, most total points wins.
We did this also.

You can have this for the entire playoffs and have half the teams eliminated each week. This would lessen the schedule luck factor for the playoffs. You wouldn't have to change the playoff format (number of teams that make the playoffs or number of weeks that the playoffs take up). Just have half the teams eliminated each week based on overall scores. Interesting way to go. I might like it better this way to minimize playoff luck.

I have a question for those that favor the higher seed. In a typical 3-division 12 team league, you could have the division-winning 6-8 3-seed tie an11-3 4-seed. In this case, is the higher seed really the more deserving team in the finals, ... just because they were placed in a very weak division?

You can have this for the entire playoffs and have half the teams eliminated each week. This would lessen the schedule luck factor for the playoffs. You wouldn't have to change the playoff format (number of teams that make the playoffs or number of weeks that the playoffs take up). Just have half the teams eliminated each week based on overall scores. Interesting way to go. I might like it better this way to minimize playoff luck.
IMO, the fairest way to play fantasy is to play All Play every week. For people that haven't heard of it, its's when you play EVERY TEAM each week. In a 12-team league, you would play 11 games each and every week. Same thing for the playoffs. Set the cutoff for however many teams get eliminated each week of the playoffs. This ensures the best teams each week in the playoffs advance.

I have a question for those that favor the higher seed. In a typical 3-division 12 team league, you could have the division-winning 6-8 3-seed tie an11-3 4-seed. In this case, is the higher seed really the more deserving team in the finals, ... just because they were placed in a very weak division?
In that case you can't use higher seed. It's better used for leagues without divisions.

Depends on what your rules have for determining seeds. We usually seeded the teams AFTER the playoff teams were determined. It wasn't like the NFL where a team with a losing record had a higher seed just because it won a division. For example, 3 division winners made it and 3 next best teams (either by record or total points). Once the 6 teams were determined, we ranked the teams (some leagues were by record, some leagues were based on total points).

IMO, the fairest way to play fantasy is to play All Play every week. For people that haven't heard of it, its's when you play EVERY TEAM each week. In a 12-team league, you would play 11 games each and every week. Same thing for the playoffs. Set the cutoff for however many teams get eliminated each week of the playoffs. This ensures the best teams each week in the playoffs advance.
while this may be the "fairest" way to do a league it makes it more like roto style in baseball and is essentially just going with total points. Yes, total points and AP record will vary slightly (i looked at my leagues over a 5 year period to compare) and teams would move at most 2 or 3 spots and it was 99% of the time in the middle third of the standings. Best All play record and most points were always the same for the data set I reviewed.

Personally, I like that I play against only one team and if they have a bad week it gives me a chance to win if I have a bad week. H2H is really the best thing about FF compared to other fantasy sports because the weekly format lends itself so well to that. I also think the "luck" factor of H2H evens out over the course of the year which is why I prefer leagues with no playoffs. Playoffs really up the luck factor because of the one and done nature so going with an all play/total points format is better suited for just the playoffs to lower that factor. I just don't like it for the season long aspect. Neither is right or wrong it's just what you prefer.

it maybe fair but it is boring.

while this may be the "fairest" way to do a league it makes it more like roto style in baseball and is essentially just going with total points. Yes, total points and AP record will vary slightly (i looked at my leagues over a 5 year period to compare) and teams would move at most 2 or 3 spots and it was 99% of the time in the middle third of the standings. Best All play record and most points were always the same for the data set I reviewed.

Personally, I like that I play against only one team and if they have a bad week it gives me a chance to win if I have a bad week. H2H is really the best thing about FF compared to other fantasy sports because the weekly format lends itself so well to that. I also think the "luck" factor of H2H evens out over the course of the year which is why I prefer leagues with no playoffs. Playoffs really up the luck factor because of the one and done nature so going with an all play/total points format is better suited for just the playoffs to lower that factor. I just don't like it for the season long aspect. Neither is right or wrong it's just what you prefer.
One of my strangest seasons was when our league was hosted by ESPN. My team was light years ahead of everyone else in my league. I think I averaged 40+ points more than any other team. I was the #1 or #2 scorer every week. But fantasy being what it is, I had a 7-6 record going into the last week of the regular season. On ESPN's worldwide fantasy team rankings, I was ranked 18th out of 2 million teams. Their Top 25 fantasy leaderboard had 20 teams that were undefeated, 4 teams with 1 loss, and me with 6 losses. I needed a win to make the playoffs (which I got) and then steamrolled the other opponents in the playoffs, but I almost got bamboozled with what far and away was the best fantasy squad I ever put together.

I prefer leagues that better align to total points vs. single opponents / wins and losses. But that's just me. I've been in too many leagues where one division is absolutely loaded. Each team had to play each other twice while another division had all terrible teams. Playing teams a different number of times seems unfair . . . as does selecting a winner from a terrible division to make the playoffs. But it is what it is.

Personally I think highest seed is the fairest way, although other ideas here could work as well. A tie out to two decimal places is quite rare.

For this season, I don't think you should choose something after the fact and at this point I would just flip a coin or use some other random way like a horse race or something.
We're not coming up with a solution for this week. Since unaddressed in our rule book, the Commish made a command decision all have accepted. This discussion is for what we put in the rule book for subsequent years.

We're not coming up with a solution for this week. Since unaddressed in our rule book, the Commish made a command decision all have accepted. This discussion is for what we put in the rule book for subsequent years.
What was the command decision?

I've been in too many leagues where one division is absolutely loaded. Each team had to play each other twice while another division had all terrible teams. Playing teams a different number of times seems unfair . . . as does selecting a winner from a terrible division to make the playoffs. But it is what it is.
I have never understood divisions in FF for just these reasons. I have only played in leagues where there are no divisions until just recently (Zealots league). Since that is a free league I don't really pay much attention to the format aspect as I use it more for figuring out player values for dynasty to use in my other leagues. I think division leagues make playoffs even worse for just the reasons you mentioned. It has the potential to really screw good teams if the chips fall the wrong way.

Higher seed.

I've been in too many leagues where one division is absolutely loaded. Each team had to play each other twice while another division had all terrible teams. Playing teams a different number of times seems unfair . . . as does selecting a winner from a terrible division to make the playoffs. But it is what it is.
I have never understood divisions in FF for just these reasons. I have only played in leagues where there are no divisions until just recently (Zealots league). Since that is a free league I don't really pay much attention to the format aspect as I use it more for figuring out player values for dynasty to use in my other leagues. I think division leagues make playoffs even worse for just the reasons you mentioned. It has the potential to really screw good teams if the chips fall the wrong way.
A 12-team 3-division league lends itself to symmetry with the current 14-game fantasy regular season: each division opponent twice, and each non-division foe once. With no divisions, the asymmetry of your opponents can also lead to inequities.

A 12-team 3-division league lends itself to symmetry with the current 14-game fantasy regular season: each division opponent twice, and each non-division foe once. With no divisions, the asymmetry of your opponents can also lead to inequities.
A nice way around the symmetry issues is to play everyone once (11 games in a 12 team league) and then 3 "position" weeks where 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, etc. You can space those position weeks evenly through the season and it takes care of the lack of symmetry.

A nice way around the symmetry issues is to play everyone once (11 games in a 12 team league) and then 3 "position" weeks where 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, etc. You can space those position weeks evenly through the season and it takes care of the lack of symmetry.
Do you know of league management software that seamlessly allow this structure?

Coin flip...best 4 out of 7 flips.
Stare Down....first owner to blink loses
Rock Paper Scissors
Name That Tune
Truth or Dare
Guess the weight of your opponent...closest guess wins
Guess the weight of you opponents significant other...with the significant other present. Can be quite a lot of fun

Just a few out of the box suggestions

Higher seed.
Surprised the lower seed accepted that. I don't think I would have if wasn't in the rules ahead of time.

Do you know of league management software that seamlessly allow this structure?
No. Since you don't know the matchups in a position week you can't plan for those matchups. As far as the other weeks to make them assure of play every team only once I believe you have to manually enter them but it's something that can be done before the season starts and then it's done. It's really fairly simple.

Surprised the lower seed accepted that. I don't think I would have if wasn't in the rules ahead of time.
Since the week already occurred any situation short of a coin flip would favor one team over another. What solution would both sides accept knowing that whatever solution was used favors one side or the other?

Both teams move on. Three teams head-to-head-to head the next week.
Not fair to the team that won outright. Shouldn't have to beat two opponents. No way that team should have any chance of coming in third.

All this gets us back to what I mentioned earlier. There is no appropriate / fair way to come up with a tiebreaker after the fact. Obviously needs to be spelled out in the rules moving forward.

I'm going to give a  mu-ish answer here: it does not matter. It only matters that you have a rule or series of rules in place that resolves it 100% of the time. I don't care if coin flip is the first and only tiebreaker. I really don't.

You might say "Oh, but shouldn't it be something significant? Bench points, total points on the season, touchdowns by starters?"

To which I would say: no, I don't care, because of

(1) the rarity of a tie, especially since most leagues use a granularity of 0.1, some even less,

(2) the sheer "evenness" of a tie, given the range of over a thousand plausible scores (assuming 0.1 or smaller granularity) -- that is to say, it's so ridiculously even for the two teams to land on the exact same result, neither team deserves it any more than the other, so who cares --,

and (3) why should a tiebreaker need to be significant or relevant when 1 more or 1 fewer receiving yard would have "broken the tie" by making it no longer a tie?

To put it another way ... If you think starters' yardage should be the tiebreaker, all you're saying is that each yard should be slightly more important that it is relative to the other fantasy scoring stats. Effectively you're adding 1/1,000,000 point to every yard. If your rushing yards are worth 0.1, you're saying they should be worth 0.100001. Who cares, lol.

Trying to think of a metaphor ... Worrying about the significance of tiebreaker rules is like ... having a blanket stored away in your vehicle for cold weather emergency preparation, but insisting that the blanket be a beautiful, priceless, one-of-a-kind piece of work. You're rarely if ever going to need it, and if you do, why does it even matter, it just needs to get the job done.

Look what you guys made me type.

Higher seed.
If you were the lower seed, just what would you have done to "not accept it"?

The only other outcome that I could think of (which admittedly isn't great) would be to move the league final out a week and have the teams that tied face off this week instead. The problem with that, of course, is some NFL players might sit the last week of the NFL season.

Users who are viewing this thread