What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long do you keep your cars? (1 Viewer)

I have always driven paid off vehicles. I traded my last paid off Jeep in for the 4Runner in 2011 because my pregnant wife could not get into it. Killed me but I bought a 4Runner so I could drive it into the ground. Bought new because used was just as pricey. 2 weeks later I was driving my wife's CRV and she had my 4Runner.

If Tesla came out with a reasonably priced midsize then I would be very tempted.

I have always driven paid off vehicles. I traded my last paid off Jeep in for the 4Runner in 2011 because my pregnant wife could not get into it. Killed me but I bought a 4Runner so I could drive it into the ground. Bought new because used was just as pricey. 2 weeks later I was driving my wife's CRV and she had my 4Runner.

If Tesla came out with a reasonably priced midsize then I would be very tempted.
Just you wait...

Dentist said:
Andy Dufresne said:
eoMMan said:
So what's the ideal strategy when someone is putting on 30k miles annually and needs something reliable?

Do you buy new and then trade in at 180k miles after 6 years?

Keep driving the 30k miles annually even after 180k miles even though you are at a much greater risk of break down?

What would Jesus or Pick do?
I would buy a lower mileage Infiniti or Acura. Their engines/transmissions are super reliable.
i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but consumer reports has said that since Acura (honda) switched many of their newer vehicles to CVT transmissions that their reliability has suffered tremendously.

Nissan (infinity) has also had a dip in reliability over the past 6 years.

Basically Lexus/Toyota have really distanced themselves from the pack, and frankly the next tier is your suburu/Kia/Hyundai type of cars before you get to Honda.
Not for used cars, Honda still the best because their cars are generally cheaper. The CVT issue is in the new model CRVs and Fits, the Civic and Accord still are the best used cars you can buy. Honda has a one or two year transmission issue with select models, let's not put the into the Jeep/Cadillac/Fiat category just yet.
I have a Honda Accord, it's great. I'm just citing what I read from Consumer reports.. i haven't researched acura/honda for a personal purchase lately because they don't make the SUV I need anyway.

I wouldn't put them in the jeep/chrysler category at all.

Just that they may not have kept pace is the best of the best... it's still pretty rare air they are in, and most people would probably do fine with one of their vehicles, and would do great with one of their used ones.

I've only owned 4 new cars my entire life

1994 Geo Prism (drove for 9 years)

2006 BMW 330i (sold for $26k after 4.5 years)

2010 Honda CRV (still own, 50k miles)

2013 Honda Civic SI (lease up in March)

I'm leaning towards getting a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL, at least I've narrowed my search to that vehicle beyond Honda products. Since I've lived all over the world and moved 11 times in 17 years, I've had tons of cars and the longest one I ever had was the Geo. I have brand loyalty to BMW and Honda, but I like the new Fords and they are getting good reliability marks these days(although three of the four Fords I've owned were three of the five worse cars I've ever owned).

Not a fan of the GM products, especially the terrible ergonomics in the Chevy products. Every time I get a rental Chevy I take it back in and tell them I want something else.
Are you an oddly shaped person or simply very picky?

Cars have gotten significantly more expensive, but also significantly more reliable. Both of the family cars are around 100K miles, but they are in good shape and I would expect them to go another 50K before replacing. My truck could will go a lot more, but the kids are outgrowing the extended cab.

I've only owned 4 new cars my entire life

1994 Geo Prism (drove for 9 years)

2006 BMW 330i (sold for $26k after 4.5 years)

2010 Honda CRV (still own, 50k miles)

2013 Honda Civic SI (lease up in March)

I'm leaning towards getting a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL, at least I've narrowed my search to that vehicle beyond Honda products. Since I've lived all over the world and moved 11 times in 17 years, I've had tons of cars and the longest one I ever had was the Geo. I have brand loyalty to BMW and Honda, but I like the new Fords and they are getting good reliability marks these days(although three of the four Fords I've owned were three of the five worse cars I've ever owned).

Not a fan of the GM products, especially the terrible ergonomics in the Chevy products. Every time I get a rental Chevy I take it back in and tell them I want something else.
Are you an oddly shaped person or simply very picky?
I'm neither. Is this the first time you've seen the word ergonomics? In most car reviews this word is used, HTH

Cars have gotten significantly more expensive, but also significantly more reliable. Both of the family cars are around 100K miles, but they are in good shape and I would expect them to go another 50K before replacing. My truck could will go a lot more, but the kids are outgrowing the extended cab.
unpack this a bit as i've considered a pickup truck to replace my SUV.

is extended cab the smaller between that and "crew cab" ?

Is a crew cab a good pick for someone with 2 kids for traveling around, or is the ride a bit rough?

Users who are viewing this thread