What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Many Hours Do You Work Each Week On Average? (2 Viewers)

No BS This Is A Safe Space

• Total voters
 I'm assuming most that work over 40 are salaried. I see a few people mentioned overtime. 

I'm in a managers role, so getting a text a 6:30am that one of my employees is sick and won't be in happens at least every other week. We run a thin crew, so I'm left scrambling for an hour trying to find coverage or moving work around before my normal arrival time of 7:45. Even on those days, I still don't leave until after 5pm.

I suspect my boss wants me to work more than my 45-50 hours that I put in already. She's mention (complained) that she's works 70 hours at certain times. My thought is that she needs to delegate and manage her time better. Ultimately, my job description stated 8-4 M-F. If they wanted someone that was a workaholic, they should have hired someone else. I enjoy my job, but I enjoy my family more. Force me to choose and they'll lose every time. 

In at around quarter to 9 and leave around 5 95% of the time. Currently in more of a service role that I'm way overqualified for so I can afford to do the minimum. 

When I get back into production (probably within the next year) I'll have more to do, but even then, I've never been a "look at me!!! I work 10 hours a day!!" guy. My industry has some very mediocre people that can't efficiently do the work (and "need" to work 7:30 to 6 to compensate). Thankfully Im not one of those people.

I work about 30-35 hours a week, and close to half of those hours are driving. So really I do about 15-20 hours of actual work every week.

Man, I don’t want to come off as paternalistic or anything, but I billed north of 2400 hours twice in my 18 years of private practice and it damaged my soul - and I liked the work!  
I billed 2600+ years ago as an associate, but I was young and single and enjoying it, and it flew by. This year I billed nearly 2600 hours as a partner, on top of boatloads of client development, billing and administrative stuff, and the like.  Did near as much the year before, and the pace has continued. 

It’s hard for me to gauge how much I work per week. I’m generally always working. I’m up at 5 and emailing most days; respond to some emails from bed; respond to a few more while at the gym, work my whole train commute, in general don’t take a lunch break. I try to clear out of there by 5 or 6, but then I work my commute home, and then often times at home in the evening, either catching up or joining conference calls with Asia. At night I often don’t sleep—when things are particularly stressful, I go to sleep for a few hours, but often wake up a couple of the time in the middle of the night, grab my phone off the night stand, and either start sending out emails because something occurred to me and I don’t want to forget it, or I’m responding to emails from japan that have come in during the few hours I’d slept so far. That sometimes happens a few times a night, although I have to admit more recently I’ve been doing a much better job of sleeping through the night. 

Weekends are a mixed bag. Usually I at least do a few hours of work each morning, either editing briefs or catching up on other things, or writing articles, or preparing for something in the upcoming week etc. This morning I had to write an article for a local law newspaper that I have due this week, and I just don’t have the confidence I will have time to get to it during the week. 

I also think it’s hard to quantify because I’m practically always working. As an email comes in, even if I’m spending time with my family, I generally turn and pounce on it, and so often I’m not “in the moment” or really present because I’m doing two things at once. So I’m really practically always working. 

Granted I'm like the third highest billing partner in my whole law firm, so my routine is not the norm. It’s also been an insanely busy few years. Part of me tells myself I should get it while the gettin’ is good, because who knows, maybe in 3 years I’ll have nothing to do, and I’ll be glad I’ve gotten the hours while I could. Of course I keep saying it’s likely to end soon—this can’t go on forever—and it’s continued on for several years now. It’s all making me very successful within my firm and earning me tons of experience and exposure and opportunity, so I tell myself it’s an investment in the future. But there are surely days when I wonder if I’m letting life, and my kids’ youngest years, pass me by. 

For now I’m, for the most part, happy. Im trying to sleep more and take a little better care of myself, because otherwise I just don’t know how long physically I could last under the constant stress.  I’m also just trying to say “no” a lot more often than I used to — firm asks me to head up some event, or some foreign firm comes through town looking to meet lawyers from our firm to network, certain cases or clients or pitches in invited to where I just decide it’s lower value use of my time. I’m getting better at that, and I think that’s a lot of it, is just prioritizing and drawing lines and knowing when to say “no.”

We’ll see where I end up in 5-10 years. For now, the heads of my practice group are telling me I’m the successor to the current head, a job that surely comes with a lot more stress than I’ve already got, though some perks. But I’m just not sure I’d want it, if I’m even asked to do it.   But for now, I’m doing great, big ticket cutting edge work for some of the biggest and best clients in the world; I have autonomy; and I think I’m doing a decent job under the circumstances of prioritizing life and being the best dad and husband I’m able to be. 

I sacrifice an awful lot in terms of time, family, health I’m sure, and other things (I don't have much in the way of hobbies or play golf, and my FFA workload has suffered dramatically), and it’s probably not worth the money in the end.  But in general I enjoy what I do, sometimes a whole lot, and that’s part of the equation too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I sacrifice an awful lot in terms of time, family, health I’m sure, and other things, and it’s probably not worth the money in the end.  But in general I enjoy what I do, sometimes a whole lot, and that’s part of the equation too. 
Apparently not sacrificing that post count.  I spend way too much time here, an obscene amount really, and you’ve got nearly 60k posts on me.  Somehow it’s hard for me to take this insane workload too seriously unless of course you’re getting paid to post here. 

I billed 2600+ years ago as an associate, but I was young and single and enjoying it, and it flew by. This year I billed nearly 2600 hours as a partner, on top of boatloads of client development, billing and administrative stuff, and the like.  Did near as much the year before, and the pace has continued. 

It’s hard for me to gauge how much I work per week. I’m generally always working. I’m up at 5 and emailing most days; respond to some emails from bed; respond to a few more while at the gym, work my whole train commute, in general don’t take a lunch break. I try to clear out of there by 5 or 6, but then I work my commute home, and then often times at home in the evening, either catching up or joining conference calls with Asia. At night I often don’t sleep—when things are particularly stressful, I go to sleep for a few hours, but often wake up a couple of the time in the middle of the night, grab my phone off the night stand, and either start sending out emails because something occurred to me and I don’t want to forget it, or I’m responding to emails from japan that have come in during the few hours I’d slept so far. That sometimes happens a few times a night, although I have to admit more recently I’ve been doing a much better job of sleeping through the night. 

Weekends are a mixed bag. Usually I at least do a few hours of work each morning, either editing briefs or catching up on either things, or writing articles, or preparing for something in the upcoming week etc. This morning I had to write an article for a local law newspaper that I have due this week, and I just don’t have the confidence I will have time to get to it during the week. 

I also think it’s hard to quantify because I’m practically always working. As an email comes in, even if I’m spending time with my family, I generally turn and pounce on it, and so often I’m not “in the moment” or really present because I’m doing two things at once. So I’m really practically always working. 

Granted I'm like the third highest billing partner in my whole law firm, so my routine is not the norm. It’s also been an insanely busy few years. Part of me tells myself I should get it while the gettin’ is good, because who knows, maybe in 3 years I’ll have nothing to do, and I’ll be glad I’ve gotten the hours while I could. Of course I keep saying it’s likely to end soon—this can’t go on forever—and it’s continued on for several years now. It’s all making me very successful within my firm and earning me tons of experience and exposure and opportunity, so I tell myself it’s an investment in the future. But there are surely days when I wonder if I’m letting life, and my kids’ youngest years, pass me by. 

For now I’m, for the most part, happy. Im trying to sleep more and take a little better care of myself, because otherwise I just don’t know how long physically I could last under the constant stress.  I’m also just trying to say “no” a lot more often than I used to — firm asks me to head up some event, or some foreign firm comes through town looking to meet lawyers from our firm to network, certain cases or clients or pitches in invited to where I just decide it’s lower value use of my time. I’m getting better at that, and I think that’s a lot of it, is just prioritizing and drawing lines and knowing when to say “no.”

We’ll see where I end up in 5-10 years. For now, the heads of my practice group are telling me I’m the successor to the current head, a job that surely comes with a lot more stress than I’ve already got, though some perks. But I’m just not sure I’d want it, if I’m even asked to do it.   But for now, I’m doing great, big ticket cutting edge work for some of the biggest and best clients in the world; I have autonomy; and I think I’m doing a decent job under the circumstances of prioritizing life and being the best dad and husband I’m able to be. 

I sacrifice an awful lot in terms of time, family, health I’m sure, and other things, and it’s probably not worth the money in the end.  But in general I enjoy what I do, sometimes a whole lot, and that’s part of the equation too. 
Give this man some more points. 

Weekends are a mixed bag. Usually I at least do a few hours of work each morning, either editing briefs or catching up on either things, or writing articles, or preparing for something in the upcoming week etc. This morning I had to write an article for a local law newspaper that I have due this week, and I just don’t have the confidence I will have time to get to it during the week. 

Good for you on the success, I really mean that. But everything you said sounds horrifying. Especially working during family time. Not enough money in the world for me. 

I work 40 hours a week to the minute, a lot of it at home and that's about 35 more than I would prefer. Love me some free time. 

Apparently not sacrificing that post count.  I spend way too much time here, an obscene amount really, and you’ve got nearly 60k posts on me.  Somehow it’s hard for me to take this insane workload too seriously unless of course you’re getting paid to post here. 
I'm sure lots of folks who've been here a while can tell you that I used to post a whole lot more.  They'll also probably tell you this place is better for it.  But deep down, they miss me.

Good for you on the success, I really mean that. But everything you said sounds horrifying. Especially working during family time. Not enough money in the world for me. 

I work 40 hours a week to the minute, a lot of it at home and that's about 35 more than I would prefer. Love me some free time. 
Yup.  Believe me, I get it, it's all about trade-offs.  And I struggle with whether I'm making good choices.  But for now I'm along for the ride.

Yup.  Believe me, I get it, it's all about trade-offs.  And I struggle with whether I'm making good choices.  But for now I'm along for the ride.
But you make like 5M/year or something crazy right?  That's the dream, man.

But you make like 5M/year or something crazy right?  That's the dream, man.
Yeah not quite. If it were that money, I might even feel it’s worth it. As it stands, not so sure I do. Though the golden handcuffs definitely don’t loosen over time, they just tighten....

Yeah not quite. If it were that money, I might even feel it’s worth it. As it stands, not so sure I do. Though the golden handcuffs definitely don’t loosen over time, they just tighten....
Ohh.  Well it probably doesn't mean much, but there are plenty of people that don't have the opportunity or capacity would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  It sounds like you do important work.

Not sure how to count business trips.  I cover 8 states and parts of a couple more. I will be out of town Monday through Friday but probably only have 7 meetings and 2 business dinners.   15 hours of face time and a couple hours to prep. 

Not sure how to count business trips.  I cover 8 states and parts of a couple more. I will be out of town Monday through Friday but probably only have 7 meetings and 2 business dinners.   15 hours of face time and a couple hours to prep. 
Oh good point. I didn’t even include this. In the past 9 months I’ve had two trips away for 2 weeks each, and a couple of one week trips, as well as a bunch of random 2-3 day trips.  Hate traveling with a fiery passion. 

I did a year and a half, pretty constant including holidays. Every weeknight past midnight, every weekend at least 8 hour days. Monthly three day stretches with zero sleep. Three years of Gradschool was pretty much the same, except I had the luxury of sleeping for days straight when I needed to recharge. 

I had friends in finance and law doing similar hours here in NYC. You walked around in a zombie state outside of the office. No coincidence that I met my gf (current wife) when I knew I was done doing those hours and working at that spot. But I'll never forget the looks I got when I started leaving the office at 8 every night.
Before I got into banking I billed 2750, 3100 and 3400 in consecutive years (restructuring professional).  It almost killed me.  I don’t know how people do this into their 40’s.  Now I am 40-45 per week with an occational 50-60.  only have to work weekends 1-2x per year.  For those of you still doing this it is not worth it.  I missed out on 10-years of my life due to travel and work.  You can always make money, you won’t get those years back.  I remember  stretch when I had done 80, 100 and 100 hours in consecutive weeks. My work product was so bad by that third week i was spending as much time fixing errors as working on new projects.  There are definitely diminishing returns when working that much.

I’m a 100% on / 100% off type. I manage my people to be respectful of the company’s time and their home life because I want happy, productive, engaged people. I had a manager once tell me work was my second job and home was #1 and to keep priorities straight. I will always value a company who kicks backside with a highly loyal and engaged 40 hour a week staff.

I voted 41-45 since I usually work lunches or find myself in meetings sometimes earlier or later, but no way would I do what some of you guys do. I respect it, but it’s just not worth it to me. 

Well.....

At least 40-50 hours in the office.  Answering emails, conference calls, answering employee texts, traveling, bumps my weeks up to 50-60 or so.

It's about balance.  I've been in Sales all my life.  Somehow I managed to coach my son in baseball for 10+ years and I think I missed 1 game in all of those years.  I just told my prospects/clients which days I could be on the road.  I traveled a lot more when it wasn't baseball season.  But I also made it to all of the awards, school plays, etc.  

Now that my kids are grown I have a different routine.  When I'm traveling those are often 16 hour days counting airport time, etc.  When I'm in the home office I start around 7am, work through until 4pm, go to the gym, come back for dinner, then get back online and more email/work while we are binge watching Shameless or something.  Usually 50-60.  I don't live to work but I have a lot of responsibility.  Can't mail it in.  When I need to hunker down I do.  But if a Friday afternoon clears up I'll head out and play some golf too. 

It's about balance.  I've been in Sales all my life.  Somehow I managed to coach my son in baseball for 10+ years and I think I missed 1 game in all of those years.  I just told my prospects/clients which days I could be on the road.  I traveled a lot more when it wasn't baseball season.  But I also made it to all of the awards, school plays, etc.  

Now that my kids are grown I have a different routine.  When I'm traveling those are often 16 hour days counting airport time, etc.  When I'm in the home office I start around 7am, work through until 4pm, go to the gym, come back for dinner, then get back online and more email/work while we are binge watching Shameless or something.  Usually 50-60.  I don't live to work but I have a lot of responsibility.  Can't mail it in.  When I need to hunker down I do.  But if a Friday afternoon clears up I'll head out and play some golf too
I think there’s a lot of value in autonomy. Coming and going as you please in general and, when things lighten up, just taking the day or afternoon or ducking out and 2pm. I do these kinds of things whenever I can. 

My only gripe about it is that the email often starts piling up like crazy and lots of little emergency fires and you’re trying to deal with all that with three kids fighting in the back of the car and I sometimes end up more stressed than if I’d have just stayed in the office....  sometimes it’s not worth it because work can find a way to rule your day even when you’re not there. Damned iPhones. 

I think there’s a lot of value in autonomy. Coming and going as you please in general and, when things lighten up, just taking the day or afternoon or ducking out and 2pm. I do these kinds of things whenever I can. 

My only gripe about it is that the email often starts piling up like crazy and lots of little emergency fires and you’re trying to deal with all that with three kids fighting in the back of the car and I sometimes end up more stressed than if I’d have just stayed in the office....  sometimes it’s not worth it because work can find a way to rule your day even when you’re not there. Damned iPhones
Damned email,texting... but Yeah. 

Nothing like getting a series of a dozen texts and emails titled "emergency!" and "disaster!" Waking me on a Sunday over night- from a client and then boss (checking in because I'm not answering texts or emails at 2am on a Sunday night)... because the building controlled heat went on in her just renovated apartment and it's a little too warm.

My current job does not require a work phone. After 8 years of having one, unplugging is pretty awesome. Its nice to take a day off and truly be unplugged.

Sucks to come back to 50 emails the next day but it beats the alternative. 

I know this has probably been done before but I was in some stupid management training class at work (kill me) and the freaking HR rep complained about working 12 hours a day.  Now clearly she was exaggerating like most do about their work hours but I'm curious as to how many hours people work a week on average.

No bs, count the time you arrive at work until you leave, if you work on weekends count that, and reading emails at home does not count, answering them or actually doing work does.  No deduction for lunch, if you can actually take long lunches away from work good for you.
I work from home so no matter the work load I am logged in by 5:30am and on until 3:30pm, so "in theory" it looks like I'm putting in 50 hour work weeks.
Actual work though. :mellow:
It depends on the week.. Sometimes my workload is low and I'll only spend 4 to 6 hours a day doing actual work. The rest is wandering the web and, well wasting time here. 

But then there are other weeks like the last few weeks, and a few more in the foreseeable future, where I am involved in multiple projects on top of my daily "Admin" responsibilities.. 
I am putting in 50+ hours as I try to complete the normal day to day work, as well as research and work on the projects.
It is weeks like these that allow me to feel fine about only "working" 25 the other weeks.

I work 8-5, rarely stay late and have came in on the weekend once in the past 4 years. I also am kinda like the guy from office space for half the day as well. I finish my work quick and do nothing the rest of the day.

Last week maybe 20 hours, this week looking like 80+.

Day in day out varies with what I need to do and choose to do.

Phone always on though so I never completely unplug.

I wonder if in the end it will be worth it.  Take Oat's for example (but he's not the only one), the way he lays it out, he sacrifices almost his entire life to working.  Same with a bunch of others who were 80hrs+.  I'm sure Oat's wife and kids are super happy he's doing it and they can buy whatever they want, plus this must give Oats immense pleasure as well, but do you guys who work so much actually enjoy life enough to make all the cash worth it?  And Oats how do you work that much on that little sleep while boozing a decent amount?  Just insanely good metabolism?

If I never had time each evening to either cook, watch some shows, read, watch a flick, workout, etc I think I'd go insane.

More power to you insanely hard working bros.  And more power to you too life balance bros   :thumbup:   

I'm salary based on 40 hours a week but being one of the owners I'm at work 8.75 hours weekdays and 4.75 every other Saturday.  I average about 45 hours a week.

I wonder if in the end it will be worth it.  Take Oat's for example (but he's not the only one), the way he lays it out, he sacrifices almost his entire life to working.  Same with a bunch of others who were 80hrs+.  I'm sure Oat's wife and kids are super happy he's doing it and they can buy whatever they want, plus this must give Oats immense pleasure as well, but do you guys who work so much actually enjoy life enough to make all the cash worth it?  And Oats how do you work that much on that little sleep while boozing a decent amount?  Just insanely good metabolism?

If I never had time each evening to either cook, watch some shows, read, watch a flick, workout, etc I think I'd go insane.

More power to you insanely hard working bros.  And more power to you too life balance bros   :thumbup:   
I'm about to turn 53 in a few days.  After working 50+ hours a week in the restaurant world since I was 17, I came to realization that it's just not worth it.  My father had a heart attack two years ago that was directly attributed to stress.  After watching what he had to go through to recover, I resolved to remove stress from my life.  And the manager job had to go.  Now, I work 40 hrs a week (Once in a blue moon I can get OT, but for the most part not) and I couldn't be happier.

I work 41-43 consistently each week at my regular day job.

I work another 5-15 hours (depending on the season) on officiating bball & football throughout the year.  Probably closer to 20 hours if you count travel time to and from games during season.

My only gripe about it is that the email often starts piling up like crazy and lots of little emergency fires and you’re trying to deal with all that with three kids fighting in the back of the car and I sometimes end up more stressed than if I’d have just stayed in the office....  sometimes it’s not worth it because work can find a way to rule your day even when you’re not there. Damned iPhones. 
It is a stressful lifestyle at times but I have at least found just relocating even if working from home for a day or going away for a weekend can be a great relief.  I basically have duplicates of my office at home and at my beach house which allows me to much more easily connect with the family on downtime or still go away every weekend in the summer to the beach.  While I realize my job will prevent me from ever being my kids soccer or baseball coach due to the unexpected crisis or need to get on a conference call on short notice I think technology can also help you keep connected to the office and the family.  I wish it was a pre-blackberry world (those are the devices that started it all) but it just isn't so trying to harness the good parts of it are helpful.

probably closer to 20 hours if you count travel time to and from games during season.
You gotta count travel time for #### like this. When I was just out of çollge I got a gig tutoring math and SAT and LSAT stuff that paid 50 an hour. I was psyched. Until I realized that some of the places were like 45 mins away and the sessions were only 1.5 hours. So on fact I was getting 75 bucks for 3 hours of work. 

You gotta count travel time for #### like this. When I was just out of çollge I got a gig tutoring math and SAT and LSAT stuff that paid 50 an hour. I was psyched. Until I realized that some of the places were like 45 mins away and the sessions were only 1.5 hours. So on fact I was getting 75 bucks for 3 hours of work. 
Oh, I know.  I'm not officiating for the money.  Pretty much nobody does unless you are young.  Sometimes it can be really lucrative, but it usually is closer to $10-15/hour net.  Not bad, but as some guys put it...we get paid to work out and watch sports.

Work at most 45 hours per week. 

My previous job I was miserable. Worked for a ####ty boss who was one of those guys that would work all weekend and come into work on Monday and make you feel like crap because you didn't. I was working 50-60 hours a week and always checking emails when not working. So really was always worried about everything going on.

Just decided to make a life change. Took this job in an industry I know really well, and I can shut it down when I leave at 4:30 every day. Weekends are NO work. 

I make about 15K less a year because of it, but I don't care. My everyday mood for me, and towards my wife and children has done a complete 180. I'm 48 years old, and I just decided I'm trading dough for happiness until the day I die. 

My kids and wife's happiness means everything to me. And I mean everything. I hated myself how the stress of my previous job impacted their daily lives. Much happier now.

Users who are viewing this thread