What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much are future rookie picks worth? (1 Viewer)

CBower4545

Footballguy
I've seen alot of material on the value of rookie picks, but not much on the value of future rookie picks. Future rookie pick 1.X is obviously worth less then then future rookie pick 1.X, but saying that X is the same how much less valuable would the future pick be? Let's say you have 1.12 and you could trade it for a random 1st round pick next year would you do it? I have more of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush mentality. I just don't give much value to a future 1st unless I think there is about an 80% chance of it being top 3. That being said if I think a team is near 80% likely to be top 3 I will go after it as many times owners don't believe they are that bad when they actually are. To me if I have to wait a year to draft a guy there better be a decent chance that player is a stud player or else I am just not to tempted. Now I will trade a future pick If a I can get a player I really like or a trading partner think my pick will be much better then it will but in general I don't look to. My thinking is a future pick will only gain value as we get closer to the rookie draft.

Each individual situation a fantasy GM is in will dictate the how he values those future picks.

Some GM's might value their future rookie picks highly due to the fact that they know they will absolutely need those picks to have a decent shot at improving their team. Some other GM's might value them less and will trade them away for perceived known value if they feel they are close to winning a title right now.

I personally don't have a "set in stone" approach to valuing those picks. It will depend on the team's situation and how best to use those picks to benefit the team.

ETA: I have found that I don't value them as high as others do. Some guys won't consider trading one of their future picks, whereas I'm open to unloading them all if I believe I'm getting good value now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another consideration is roster space.

I find it may actually be preferable to "defer" a pick to a future year at times when you know you will not have room to carry a player in the current year - though this usually applies to later round picks.

The most telling statement is that future draft picks become more valuable as the rookie draft gets closer. I personally don't put a lot of value in future draft picks and have been more than willing to trade future draft picks to get something of value now. A couple of years ago I traded my 1st round pick to get Brett Favre, his last season in Green Bay. I felt I needed to improve my QB depth to have a shot at the playoffs. Turns out I needed more than QB depth to get to the playoffs and the pick I traded away turned out to be 1.05. We have a 3 round rookie draft, this year I traded my 3.12 for a 3rd round pick in 2010. The pick couldn't be any worse than what it was this year and after the 3.12 was selected, then free agency would start and I'd have a chance to get the player I would have drafted anyways.

Christopher

If you're smart, you will use the "One Red Paperclip" strategy.

Guy started with a paperclip, then traded it for a fish pen, etc... 14 moves later he had a friggin house.

Eg. Year 1 you have a 6 Round Rookie draft. Maybe when your early 6th comes up, a good team says there is a player they want bad, and will give you their future (late) 5th for it.

Year 2, same idea. Trade that late 5th for a future 5th with a team you think will be bad, so now, you've turned your early 6th into an early 5th for nothing.

Compiling small trades like these adds up. The most valuable pick in the draft is often the one on the clock, and if an owner is targeting a guy right now, he'll be more likely to give up a better future pick. Happens all the time.

I adopt the 'Crystal Ball Strategy' when it comes to Future Picks - as in, I don't have one.

Who's to say a given League is even going to exist in YearX +1? I'm much more certain the Sun is going to rise in 2010 than a League I'm currently in is going to exist by next Season. I know that makes me sound like and edgy skeptic, but in Dynasty Leagues, I view my Future Picks as commodities that will help to put me in the money NOW. As the future evolves into the Present, I adjust my long view accordingly. Heading into this current Seasons' Rookie/Free Agent Drafts in Dynasty Leagues, though, they are just additional commodities that I can use to obtain present value. As this current Season unfolds, I'll make the decision to mortgage more of it for the pieces I need for a strong Playoff Run, or start acquiring Futures in preparation for the following Season. By then, there's usually a greater degree of certainty of my Team's outcome, and the Survivability of the given League.

FWIW, the 'generally accepted value' of Future Picks in my main $$$ Dynasty League (9 Years running) is that a Future 1st Rounder is worth a Current 2nd Rounder, and so on, going into the Rookie/Free Agent Draft we hold in early August.

HTH

This question comes up every year - with no real consensus opinion(s) formed.

Some say a 2009 1st = 2010 2nd = 2011 3rd, etc. Some disagree and say a first is a first.

Another consideration is roster space.

I find it may actually be preferable to "defer" a pick to a future year at times when you know you will not have room to carry a player in the current year - though this usually applies to later round picks.
If you've used my Draft Pick Calculator, you already know about the "Dynasty Factor" term I coined to describe how "Dynasty" a given league is.A quick interpretation / explanation of the "DF" is that the bigger the DF, the more Dynasty the league is - and the more rapid the value of rookie picks decline (i.e. for big DF, 1.04 <<< 1.03 << 1.02 < 1.01).

I've found that a league with a big DF (DF > 4) emphasizes just the first few picks, while leagues with a smaller DF (DF < 2.5) values the picks more.

It's tough to make blanket statements though. Leagues with Taxi Squads / Developmental Squads make rookie picks worth more, as you don't have to spend a roster spot in Year 1 to keep him.

A better explanation of what I mean is in the Calculator article.

Here's a portion:

The Dynasty Factor

There are a few different variables that enter in to calculation of a pick value for a multi-year league. First is career length, but what about the league itself? How many teams are there? How big or small is the roster? How deep is the bench? How many starters? What matters, and by how much?

What I have done is rather complicated, but I have rolled all these numerous factors into a secret formula that produces a single number that I have labeled the "Dynasty Factor". The Dynasty Factor is the numerical value for your entire league, and it represents how valuable your draft picks are for your league. It can be used to compare different dynasty leagues with different rosters and starters, and gives an independent value to each league.

Rather than have everyone see the mathematical analysis and details of the "Secret Sauce", I will lay out some of the proportional relationships for the Dynasty Factor that you will see when you first start to use it. I will tell you that the following factors contribute to the Dynasty Factor in some way:

1. Roster Size

2. Number of Teams in the League

3. Number of Starters

4. Position(s) of Starters

The influence of each of these factors is complex, but I will attempt to give you a more intuitive feel for the tool as you start to take it for a test drive.

Roster Size - The pick values are indirectly proportional to your roster size. That is, as your roster size increases, the values decrease. To say it one more way, they are inversely related.

Why would that be? Well, if you have a deep bench, you can afford to put more rookies on your roster and wait for them to develop, so there is less pressure on you getting your picks right. You also have more room for veterans on your squad, so both factors reduce the pressure on getting the pick right (and right away), and thus the pick values go down accordingly. On the other hand, the Dynasty Factor goes up as your bench gets smaller. This makes sense - you have to "hit" on your rookies more often and they have to develop faster, else they will get cut in favor of other players. You don't have room to develop players over a period of years with a short bench.

Number of Teams in the League - As the number of teams increases, the value of the picks increase. Again, this passes the sanity check in that you have fewer draft picks and more teams are fighting for talent. Additionally, more players are rostered in the league and thus fewer talented players are available in free agency.

Number of Starters - As the number of starters increases (relative to your roster size), the bench gets shorter and the pressure on getting a good value in the draft goes up. This makes sense, as the rookie picks matter more when you start more players. Therefore, the value also goes up, and therefore Dynasty Factor is directly related to starters.

Position of Starters - This relationship is complicated, but suffice it to say that the more players that you have with shorter careers, the higher the Dynasty Factor for your league. This indicates the "rollover" of your roster, or how fast you have to churn talent through your team. If you are losing players every three or four years, you need a constant stream of young talent from the draft, increasing the value of your picks.

Note - The Dynasty Factor is NOT directly proportional to the ration of the number of starters divided my your team roster size. Why? Well, if you have 8 starters and 24 roster spots, finding starters is easier than if you have 16 starters and a bench of 48.

Jeff Pasquino said:
If you've used my Draft Pick Calculator, you already know about the "Dynasty Factor" term I coined to describe how "Dynasty" a given league is.

A quick interpretation / explanation of the "DF" is that the bigger the DF, the more Dynasty the league is - and the more rapid the value of rookie picks decline (i.e. for big DF, 1.04 <<< 1.03 << 1.02 < 1.01).

I've found that a league with a big DF (DF > 4) emphasizes just the first few picks, while leagues with a smaller DF (DF < 2.5) values the picks more.

It's tough to make blanket statements though. Leagues with Taxi Squads / Developmental Squads make rookie picks worth more, as you don't have to spend a roster spot in Year 1 to keep him.

A better explanation of what I mean is in the Calculator article.
I would imagine a high DF is somewhat correlated to the degree of parity in a given league. For example, if all team are exactly equal in strength - the #1 pick would be worth more than it would be in an average league.I was speaking more along the lines of roster composition. If I value every player on my squad higher than a 4th rookie pick - I would rather have that 4th rounder next year - especially if I have "expiring" players on my dynasty squad (Warner, Edge, Galloway, etc.) who's values are highly likely to drop dramatically at some point during or after the upcoming season.

In a 2k8 start up pre drafti traded

08 1:07 - MJD

08 2:06 - Peyton Manning

09 2:10 - Nelson, Shawn BUF TE

10 3:?? - ???

for

08 3:09 - Johnson, Calvin DET WR

09 1:06 - LeSean McCoy PHI RB

09 1:11 - Percy Harvin MIN WR

10 1:?? - ??

10 1:?? - ??

Right now not looking 2 good but time will tell.

Future picks value = How well you think you can draft + How bad you think other teams will.

Users who are viewing this thread