What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much does this 40 time help this guy (1 Viewer)

icecat4270

Footballguy
Here he is listed as a 3rd rounder with a 4.52 40.

Draft Scout

New 40 time scroll down to WR

combine 40

I saw him play a lot at Auburn and thought he was good in college but not great (and certainly didn't look that fast). Thought he might get drafted but certainly not very high. With this new 40 does he move into the 2nd round?

if he didn't play that fast in all his years with Auburn, why should a new fast 40 time change that about him? A track coach can teach these guys how to get off the blocks faster and lean at the tape, run properly, etc, all enough to shave .1 or so off their 40 times. It doesn't change their game speed IMO. A guy is either fast or he isn't. But NFL teams seem enamoured with 40 times for some reason.

if he didn't play that fast in all his years with Auburn, why should a new fast 40 time change that about him? A track coach can teach these guys how to get off the blocks faster and lean at the tape, run properly, etc, all enough to shave .1 or so off their 40 times. It doesn't change their game speed IMO. A guy is either fast or he isn't. But NFL teams seem enamoured with 40 times for some reason.
Good post. It isn't just NFL teams. Take a look around, especially over in the Chad Jackson thread. A 40 time gets fans, teams and FF players excited. Way too overrated. The best WR in the history of the game didn't run an exceptional 40 time. I'd love to see a study where these combine skills are correlated to NFL success. I'm guessing that the 40 time isn't the best indicator of success.

Seriously I would not touch an Auburn WR with a ten foot poll. I've seen a lot of those guys and it seems like every single Auburn game I've ever watched one of them is dropping an easy catch at a key point in the game.

Good post. It isn't just NFL teams. Take a look around, especially over in the Chad Jackson thread. A 40 time gets fans, teams and FF players excited. Way too overrated. The best WR in the history of the game didn't run an exceptional 40 time. I'd love to see a study where these combine skills are correlated to NFL success. I'm guessing that the 40 time isn't the best indicator of success.
As long as we don't do the vertical leap correlation again....

Users who are viewing this thread