What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How smart do you consider yourself to be? (2 Viewers)

How smart are you?

• Brilliant, one of the smartest people on Earth

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Genius, in the top 1% on Earth

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Extremely intelligent, top 5% on Earth

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Very smart, top 10% on Earth

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • Smarter than the vast majority, easily top 20%

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • Smart, somewhere in the 20-40% range

Votes: 47 20.4%
  • Average, 40-60% range

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Below average intelligence, 60-80% range

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pretty stupid, bottom 20%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Moron, bottom 10%

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I wear velcro shoes, and not because I like how they look

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Any time I start to feel like I’m decently smart wik or @rockaction write a post and I realize I should have voted Velcro shoes.  
Heh. Neither wikkid nor I will take credit for deep smart. Deep smart turns mathematics into soul. I turn it into garbage. That's how I look at it.

the 2 votes for moron are probably selling themselves short.  you were able to figure out how to vote in the poll in the 1st place.  that alone probably scores you out of the bottom 10%

the 2 votes for moron are probably selling themselves short.  you were able to figure out how to vote in the poll in the 1st place.  that alone probably scores you out of the bottom 10%
Are you suggesting morons don't know how to vote?

ChiefD said:
Depends on how you define the word smart.
If you have to ask....
smart

/smärt/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

INFORMAL

having or showing a quick-witted intelligence.

"if he was that smart he would never have been tricked"

Similar:

clever

bright

intelligent

sharp

sharp-witted

quick-witted

nimble-witted

shrewd

astute

acute

apt

able

well educated

well read

perceptive

percipient

discerning

brainy

savvy

streetwise

on the ball

quick on the uptake

genius

whip-smart

Opposite:

stupid

(of a device) programmed so as to be capable of some independent action.

"hi-tech smart weapons"

verb

(of a wound or part of the body) feel or cause a sharp stinging pain.

"her legs were scratched and smarting"

Similar:

sting

burn

tingle

prickle

hurt

ache

noun

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

intelligence; acumen.

"I don't think I have the smarts for it"

sharp stinging pain.

"the smart of the recent blood-raw cuts"

adverb

ARCHAIC

in a quick or brisk manner.

"it is better for tenants to be compelled to pay up smart"

I would score well on an IQ test and I did extremely well on my SATs.  I’m also very financially savvy (Which will allow me to retire at 55 even with 2 little kids).  But I’m not “smart”.  I’m pretty sure I know way less than the average FBG.  I voted 20-40%

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the answer to this question, but one of the most enlightening days of my life was when I realized how little I actually knew. 
This. This is the answer. I know so little, so I advocate much less forcefully than I once did. I find it leaves me with a lot of room to grow, a lot of room to learn. Taking out positions causes dissonance, which I think is the static of self-learning and improvement.

All else flows from the mighty humbling admission of humility.

I would score well on an IQ test and I did extremely well on my SATs.  I’m also very financially savvy (Which will allow me to retire at 55 even with 2 little kids).  But I’m not “smart”.  I’m pretty sure I know way less than the average FBG.  I voted 20-40%
I'm plagurizing this comment. 

In 4th grade I scored above 150 on the IQ test. 

30 on the ACT. 170 on the LSAT, about the same on the MBE. 

I'm pretty good with numbers, logic, finances, etc. 

but my memory sucks. 

Voted average. 

Smart enough to know that there are a lot of people way more intelligent than myself  (and I'm thankful for that).

In terms of determining financial success, emotional intelligence and work ethic are far more important.

:shrug:

What prompted you to join? What are some benefits of membership?
Interesting question.

I had some friends in Mensa who weren't complimentary about their experience so I decided not to go that route.  I did some research and found  a whole host of other high IQ societies.  I qualified for TNS and they seemed to be the most stable of the more exclusive groups---they had ~1000 members and seemed to be around for the long run.  I bought a lifetime membership for what I though was an inexpensive price and have been marginally involved for ~10 years.  I enjoy reading the bi-monthly newsletter for the articles and puzzles.  I've been to a couple of lunches in Chicago but found many of the other members eerily strange.  I've never attended their annual gatherings in Europe or the US.  They have a somewhat active Yahoo email group where the discussions are occasionally interesting but are filled with a lot of fighting over past arguments.  I'm not on Facebook but apparently that group is active too and less dogmatic.  

I was hoping to find a group of people similar to those I worked with at Goldman Sachs--smart, successful and driven people.  However,  many of the people I've encountered are socially awkward.  You may want to read an essay by Grady Towers called "The Outsiders" to understand that dynamic.  

Otis is wicked smaht but only in a few very particular ways. I’m like the ultimate killer tool for those very specific things in the world, and believe I can stack up against the very best. For everything else I’m tremendously average.

Otis is wicked smaht but only in a few very particular ways. I’m like the ultimate killer tool for those very specific things in the world, and believe I can stack up against the very best. For everything else I’m tremendously average.
This is probably where I fit in. I am the best of the best at what I do but I am pretty much a one trick pony. In my defense I will say I have changed that trick up a few times and I do feel capable of changing it up again. I feel that time slipping away is more of an issue than my smartness.

Ya that whole “battle with the bird” thing really tore into your ranking a bit.  

I was great at trivia and people would be like, "Wow.  You're like really smart."  And I'd think, that's not smart.  I'm really good at seeing patterns and would have loved to be some sort of codebreaker in the government.  Problem is a lot of that is math.  And while I'm good with the concepts of math, I can't DO math.  

I wanted to be either a meteorologist or an FBI Agent.  Was crushed to learn that you needed to be good at math to be either.  

I was great at trivia and people would be like, "Wow.  You're like really smart."  And I'd think, that's not smart.  I'm really good at seeing patterns and would have loved to be some sort of codebreaker in the government.  Problem is a lot of that is math.  And while I'm good with the concepts of math, I can't DO math.  

I wanted to be either a meteorologist or an FBI Agent.  Was crushed to learn that you needed to be good at math to be either.  
I'm pretty d*ng quick with computation and people act like it makes me smart, when I feel it's more along the lines of a parlor trick.

Think we need to convert this to an offdee scale.

6 - smart for a Kentuckian, but is that saying much?

I was good at math once upon a time but really just figuring out a bunch of similar problems on a page. When there were word problems I wasn’t as good. 

Turns out when you get out of school into the real world solving those kinds of problems are mostly where you need math if you even need it at all. 

Smart enough not to pay to join a “smart people club.”
This was my thing, too.  I'm sure it has some great benefits, but after I missed out on Mensa, I saw that it was like $100 a year or a month.  I forget.  But I thought, "Hell, I could put it on my resume for free if I wanted to.  That seems smarter than paying for it."

If it makes you feel better, I've never thought "Wow. You're like really smart." about you. 

Users who are viewing this thread