What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How smart do you consider yourself to be? (1 Viewer)

How smart are you?

• Brilliant, one of the smartest people on Earth

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Genius, in the top 1% on Earth

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Extremely intelligent, top 5% on Earth

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Very smart, top 10% on Earth

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • Smarter than the vast majority, easily top 20%

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • Smart, somewhere in the 20-40% range

Votes: 47 20.4%
  • Average, 40-60% range

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Below average intelligence, 60-80% range

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pretty stupid, bottom 20%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Moron, bottom 10%

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I wear velcro shoes, and not because I like how they look

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Interesting question.

I had some friends in Mensa who weren't complimentary about their experience so I decided not to go that route.  I did some research and found  a whole host of other high IQ societies.  I qualified for TNS and they seemed to be the most stable of the more exclusive groups---they had ~1000 members and seemed to be around for the long run.  I bought a lifetime membership for what I though was an inexpensive price and have been marginally involved for ~10 years.  I enjoy reading the bi-monthly newsletter for the articles and puzzles.  I've been to a couple of lunches in Chicago but found many of the other members eerily strange.  I've never attended their annual gatherings in Europe or the US.  They have a somewhat active Yahoo email group where the discussions are occasionally interesting but are filled with a lot of fighting over past arguments.  I'm not on Facebook but apparently that group is active too and less dogmatic.  

I was hoping to find a group of people similar to those I worked with at Goldman Sachs--smart, successful and driven people.  However,  many of the people I've encountered are socially awkward.  You may want to read an essay by Grady Towers called "The Outsiders" to understand that dynamic.  
:oldunsure:

I think people are selling themselves short. A college degree probably puts you in the top 10 percent in the world. 
But there’s more to “smart” than that. I never feel like the smartest guy in the room, but I’m pretty sure in any room there’s no one who can beat me at pool, can pour a better drink than me, can beat me in a free throw contest, knows more about running a business, and has travelled to more countries than me. I’m not sure where that all ranks on the “smart” scale, but it’s gotta mean something...

I use to think that I was pretty smart.  Could do anything and everything before YouTube days.  Never had debt except for a house payment.  Then I married someone who wanted to foster children,   I thought no big deal 1 or 2 won't be bad.  5 kids 1 step, 1 adopted.  6 foster kids with 1 being in the hospital for close to the last 2 months. I'm sinking further into depression thinking I'm the stupidest a hole there is to marry her.  

I use to think that I was pretty smart.  Could do anything and everything before YouTube days.  Never had debt except for a house payment.  Then I married someone who wanted to foster children,   I thought no big deal 1 or 2 won't be bad.  5 kids 1 step, 1 adopted.  6 foster kids with 1 being in the hospital for close to the last 2 months. I'm sinking further into depression thinking I'm the stupidest a hole there is to marry her.  
Oof. 

wikkid's gonna be posting poems in responses to stuff I've written and then he'll keep deleting them for posterity, isn't he?

:lmao:

love that bird.

On first take, I'd put myself in top 10% and that's how I voted.  After reflecting a bit, I think it's top 20% or lower.  I think I'm regressing.

I was easily top 10% in my HS.  I was top 25% in my college, and I have a masters degree in engineering from one of the top 5 schools in the country.  That's why I voted how I did.  But, I'm slipping. I know  I am.  I'm not nearly as fast as I once was, I start to struggle with some math that used to be simple, my memory is foggy.  I don't know if it's aging or if I pickled too many brain cells, but I don't think I'm anywhere near as smart as I was 10-20 years ago.

That all being said, I can be pretty dumb too.  I am socially awkward, sometimes I miss little details in movies that my wife has to explain to me, I tend to space out on lots of things.  in terms of street smarts, I'm probably a solid C.

There are a lot of really not smart people out there.  tons.  If you don't believe me, go sit in the DMV for a while - you will leave there feeling like a super-genius. 

I’m thinking the smartest folks aren’t adding to this thread.  Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. 

Errr...dang. 

On first take, I'd put myself in top 10% and that's how I voted.  After reflecting a bit, I think it's top 20% or lower.  I think I'm regressing.

I was easily top 10% in my HS.  I was top 25% in my college, and I have a masters degree in engineering from one of the top 5 schools in the country.  That's why I voted how I did.  But, I'm slipping. I know  I am.  I'm not nearly as fast as I once was, I start to struggle with some math that used to be simple, my memory is foggy.  I don't know if it's aging or if I pickled too many brain cells, but I don't think I'm anywhere near as smart as I was 10-20 years ago.

That all being said, I can be pretty dumb too.  I am socially awkward, sometimes I miss little details in movies that my wife has to explain to me, I tend to space out on lots of things.  in terms of street smarts, I'm probably a solid C.

There are a lot of really not smart people out there.  tons.  If you don't believe me, go sit in the DMV for a while - you will leave there feeling like a super-genius. 
I'd put most of here in the top five percent, frankly. Everyone's writing and grammar and education just bespeaks it. 

Users who are viewing this thread