What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How's your housing market? (1 Viewer)

My brother is finally looking for a house in San Diego. He seems to get outbid on all the ones he wants though. There's a handful of people snapping them all up as rentals since they are well above break-even. Looks like he should have jumped in a few months ago (at least in the particular area he is looking at).
Someone please tell tommygunz this!
He might be looking at a different area. San Diego County is quite large.
He is looking all over but believes the market still has a way to go before it hits bottom. We looked at a 3000 sqft house built in 2006 costing $400k. He said it should go down to $350.
It's quite possible that the market hasn't hit bottom, but you can't necessarily apply the percentage the market should adjust to individual houses. Once the big landlords start scooping up good deals in the area you are likely near the bottom. They are very specific in what they are looking for though.

My brother is finally looking for a house in San Diego. He seems to get outbid on all the ones he wants though. There's a handful of people snapping them all up as rentals since they are well above break-even. Looks like he should have jumped in a few months ago (at least in the particular area he is looking at).
Depends on where he is looking. Some areas of San Diego have returned to pre-bubble price ranges and the mortgage v. rent calculation pans out. In other areas, home prices are still in la-la land, ~ 2003/2004 prices, which are still double their pre-bubble value. Those areas are still in for more substantially more correction, IMO.Regardless of the area though, I think people are fooling themselves if they think that another huge housing value run is in the works. Macro-economic conditions are still extremely poor. We've just endured the worst recession since the 1930s, I don't understand the argument that those conditions suggests a housing value boom is on the way. Houses aren't like stocks. :thumbup:

He is looking all over but believes the market still has a way to go before it hits bottom. We looked at a 3000 sqft house built in 2006 costing $400k. He said it should go down to $350.
That house has been on the market for 140 days. To me that suggests that the 400k asking price is high. If it's a deal, why is it still on the market 5 months later? :thumbup:

That house has been on the market for 140 days. To me that suggests that the 400k asking price is high. If it's a deal, why is it still on the market 5 months later? :shrug:
I knew i would get you out here my friend.

That house has been on the market for 140 days. To me that suggests that the 400k asking price is high. If it's a deal, why is it still on the market 5 months later? :shrug:
Can't find anybody to qualify and drop $35k

I can't understand how people haven't learned their lesson yet. It's enough with the govt. bail out already, this market needs to finish its correction.
:shrug: It's not surprising that we've seen an uptick in housing in San Diego recently. Even during the 90s bust, if you look at charts, there was a seasonal uptick virtually every year. Add in the significant gov't assistance ($8k home buyers credit, FED rate at 0%) and it shouldn't surprise anyone that there has been a momentary stabilization. Questions that remain, IMO, are:- Have prices in your area retrenched to historical rent/buy and % of income norms? If so, and you could rent your home and cover your mortgage and fees with the proceeds, then there is little risk in buying. If not, we're not there yet.- What happens when the $8K credit is gone and the FED rate is back at 4.5%?

Last edited by a moderator:
That house has been on the market for 140 days. To me that suggests that the 400k asking price is high. If it's a deal, why is it still on the market 5 months later? :)
Can't find anybody to qualify and drop $35k
Then that means it's still overpriced. Personally I think we'll see some more pain this winter once that 1st time buyer's tax credit expires. Unless they end up extending it. But we'll probably see some more correction whenever it ends.

I can't understand how people haven't learned their lesson yet. It's enough with the govt. bail out already, this market needs to finish its correction.
:goodposting: It's not surprising that we've seen an uptick in housing in San Diego recently. Even during the 90s bust, if you look at charts, there was a seasonal uptick virtually every year. Add in the significant gov't assistance ($8k home buyers credit, FED rate at 0%) and it shouldn't surprise anyone that there has been a momentary stabilization. Questions that remain, IMO, are:- Have prices in your area retrenched to historical rent/buy and % of income norms? If so, and you could rent your home and cover your mortgage and fees with the proceeds, then there is little risk in buying. If not, we're not there yet.

- What happens when the $8K credit is gone and the FED rate is back at 4.5%?
Agreed. We have to remember that rates are historically low. Even if rates go back up to around 6%, which is still very low, that is going to hurt housing values. I just can't see rates staying under 5% for the next few years enough for values to rise substantially again.

Anyone else think we should go back to the days of 20% down or no house? We could have avoided this whole mess in the first place.

Mr. Yuk said:
Anyone else think we should go back to the days of 20% down or no house? We could have avoided this whole mess in the first place.
:lmao: That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.

:shock: That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
Oops, my bad. Party on, dudes!

;) That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
I'd argue that 20% is too stringent. I'm not sure that the "pick-a-payment" NINJA loans we saw the past 5-8 years that were often based on fraudulent applications means that we have to go back to 20%.Why not 10%, with strong underwriting? I just think 20% leaves out lots of folks on the lower end of the fiscal spectrum who are otherwise responsible and willing borrowers. :shrug:

:pickle: That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
pergo? :banned: travertine

;) That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
I'd argue that 20% is too stringent. I'm not sure that the "pick-a-payment" NINJA loans we say the past 5-8 years that were often based on fraudulent applications means that we have to go back to 20%.Why not 10%, with strong underwriting? I just think 20% leaves out lots of folks on the lower end of the fiscal spectrum who are otherwise responsible and willing borrowers. :drive:
If you can't show the fiscal restraint to save 20% for a down payment, I question how serious you are towards making such a financial commitment. Sorry, not everyone should be a homeowner.And lenders obviously feel much more comfortable seeing their borrowers having more skin in the game. Not only does this help cushion the lender from declines in the housing market, but it also gives borrowers a much stronger disincentive from walking away during such declines.Besides, if you get the government to stop juicing the housing market through all of the subsidies, easy financing and easy monetary policies, prices would adjust accordingly at all income levels.

I agree TGZ. How am I supposed to come up with 20% down on a $500,000 house? Saving $100k is no small feat.
If you are buying a home within 3 to 3.5 times your annual income, this shouldn't be so hard. If that ratio is higher, then you are buying beyond your means, and, quite possibly, your local market is still overvalued.

:thumbdown: That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
pergo? :lmao: travertine
:D Around here, it's been termed "pergraniteel"... pergo + granite + stainless steel.The thinking was that you throw as much money you could into the granite counters and stainless steel appliances that no one would notice the pergo floors.

I was able to get my house with just 3.5% down, showing very little paperwork and got a rate just under 5%. I don't think these lenders have changed their practices at all.

I was able to get my house with just 3.5% down, showing very little paperwork and got a rate just under 5%. I don't think these lenders have changed their practices at all.
fha loan?
yes FHA. But I was amazed how little paperwork I showed to qualify. I showed three years of tax returns and my banking and brokerage accounts. They never asked for a list of my monthly expenses at all. I had also prepaid most of my 2009 taxes, but they never even asked for that info. Since that's a sizeable debt owed (stock market gains, income, etc), I easily could have looked like I had a lot more money than I did (when in fact I would have owed it to the IRS). The underwriter then just wanted two years of our LLC's taxes (making sure the company was making money) and that was it. Admittedly I have a good number of assets (savings, checking, brokerage, 401ks, have good credit rating and don't have bills, but I also have one of the more peculiar job situations in America. They really weren't ever worried about that which was a bit surprising to me. And at just 3.5% down in a slumping California market, this loan would appear to be very risky (in my opinion).

Which is exactly why they get what they deserve; people walking away and putting keys in the mailbox. I'm not sure what has to happen for these banks to start acting responsibly.

I agree TGZ. How am I supposed to come up with 20% down on a $500,000 house? Saving $100k is no small feat.
If you are buying a home within 3 to 3.5 times your annual income, this shouldn't be so hard. If that ratio is higher, then you are buying beyond your means, and, quite possibly, your local market is still overvalued.
The 20% down comes from a time where the average house price was < $100k, people didn't have to fund their own retirements, pay for health insurance, etc. The reality is that we have far less disposable income than we have had historically.

Which is exactly why they get what they deserve; people walking away and putting keys in the mailbox. I'm not sure what has to happen for these banks to start acting responsibly.
The government has to stop guaranteeing these loans.FHA = the new subprime.

The 20% down comes from a time where the average house price was < $100k, people didn't have to fund their own retirements, pay for health insurance, etc. The reality is that we have far less disposable income than we have had historically.
And what do you think would happen if 20% down became the norm again? House prices would adjust accordingly. Home builders and resale sellers will not price themselves out of the market. :wall:

The Governator signs 7 new mortgage laws:

Schwarzenegger signs seven mortgage laws

The approved bills provide a variety of home loan protections for consumers, including a ban on so-called negative-amortization loans.

By Marc Lifsher

October 13, 2009

Reporting from Sacramento - In a flurry of end-of-session bill signings, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger approved seven new laws that provide a range of consumer protections to home-mortgage holders and may allow some to hold on to their houses.

Late Sunday night, the governor signed AB 260 by Assemblyman Ted Lieu (D-Torrance). The measure, which takes effect Jan. 1, tightens restrictions on mortgage brokers so they cannot steer borrowers to riskier, higher-interest loans when they qualify for less-expensive ones.

The new law also bans so-called negative-amortization loans, which offer the option of monthly payments so low that the loan amounts can actually grow over time.

The law also limits prepayment penalties to no more than 2% of the loan balance and allows state regulators to enforce federal lending laws.

The governor vetoed similar legislation last year at the urging of some groups in the mortgage and real estate industries.

The California Assn. of Mortgage Brokers, the California Mortgage Assn. and the California Assn. of Realtors unsuccessfully opposed this year's version of the bill.

Lieu, the bill's author, successfully argued that his proposal was needed more than ever to help California homeowners avoid foreclosure.

Lieu noted that, according to RealtyTrac, a real estate data service, 92,326 homeowners were hit with foreclosure notices during August.

"Look out Wall Street, California is no longer the Wild West," Lieu said in a statement Monday. "Although it took two years, I am pleased to have been able to overcome the powerful interests blocking reform so that future generations won't ever experience this type of crisis."

Other mortgage-related bills signed by the governor:

* SB 36, by Sen. Ron Calderon (D-Montebello), sets licensing requirements for all residential loan originators.

* SB 239, by Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills), makes it a felony to commit fraud on a mortgage loan application.

* AB 329, by Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-Los Angeles), requires lenders to give more and clearer information to those interested in reverse mortgages, which let seniors borrow against their homes' equity.

* SB 237, by Calderon, creates a registration program for appraisal management firms.

* AB 957, by Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani (D-Stockton), allows buyers of foreclosed homes to choose local escrow officers, rather than being forced to use the escrow company chosen by the seller.

* AB 1160, by Assemblyman Paul Fong (D-Cupertino), requires that mortgage loan documents be written in the same language the verbal negotiations were conducted in.

marc.lifsher@latimes.com
I understand that in rare instances neg-am loans can be useful, but I think that overall they're products that people abuse while living outside of their means. Buyers who can't even afford the interest payment (not to mention the principle) probably shouldn't be buying anyway.

The approved bills provide a variety of home loan protections for consumers, including a ban on so-called negative-amortization loans.

By Marc Lifsher

October 13, 2009

Reporting from Sacramento - In a flurry of end-of-session bill signings, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger approved seven new laws that provide a range of consumer protections to home-mortgage holders and may allow some to hold on to their houses.

Late Sunday night, the governor signed AB 260 by Assemblyman Ted Lieu (D-Torrance). The measure, which takes effect Jan. 1, tightens restrictions on mortgage brokers so they cannot steer borrowers to riskier, higher-interest loans when they qualify for less-expensive ones.

The new law also bans so-called negative-amortization loans, which offer the option of monthly payments so low that the loan amounts can actually grow over time.

The law also limits prepayment penalties to no more than 2% of the loan balance and allows state regulators to enforce federal lending laws.

The governor vetoed similar legislation last year at the urging of some groups in the mortgage and real estate industries.

The California Assn. of Mortgage Brokers, the California Mortgage Assn. and the California Assn. of Realtors unsuccessfully opposed this year's version of the bill.

Lieu, the bill's author, successfully argued that his proposal was needed more than ever to help California homeowners avoid foreclosure.

Lieu noted that, according to RealtyTrac, a real estate data service, 92,326 homeowners were hit with foreclosure notices during August.

"Look out Wall Street, California is no longer the Wild West," Lieu said in a statement Monday. "Although it took two years, I am pleased to have been able to overcome the powerful interests blocking reform so that future generations won't ever experience this type of crisis."

* SB 36, by Sen. Ron Calderon (D-Montebello), sets licensing requirements for all residential loan originators.

* SB 239, by Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills), makes it a felony to commit fraud on a mortgage loan application.

* AB 329, by Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-Los Angeles), requires lenders to give more and clearer information to those interested in reverse mortgages, which let seniors borrow against their homes' equity.

* SB 237, by Calderon, creates a registration program for appraisal management firms.

* AB 957, by Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani (D-Stockton), allows buyers of foreclosed homes to choose local escrow officers, rather than being forced to use the escrow company chosen by the seller.

* AB 1160, by Assemblyman Paul Fong (D-Cupertino), requires that mortgage loan documents be written in the same language the verbal negotiations were conducted in.

marc.lifsher@latimes.com
I understand that in rare instances neg-am loans can be useful, but I think that overall they're products that people abuse while living outside of their means. Buyers who can't even afford the interest payment (not to mention the principle) probably shouldn't be buying anyway.
Creative lenders will find a way around it. And borrowers know that the legislators will be there to rescue them from their own stupidity.

I would argue that if the 20% rule had stayed in effect, the house never would have been valued at 500k. In fact, since it is difficult for anyone to save up that kind of payment, that would drive the price of the home down.

:blackdot: That just makes too much sense. Don't you know that we are all entitled to a 5 BR, 3,000 sf house w/3 flat screens, granite counters, pergo floors and stainless steel appliances? Get with the program, man.
I'd argue that 20% is too stringent. I'm not sure that the "pick-a-payment" NINJA loans we say the past 5-8 years that were often based on fraudulent applications means that we have to go back to 20%.Why not 10%, with strong underwriting? I just think 20% leaves out lots of folks on the lower end of the fiscal spectrum who are otherwise responsible and willing borrowers. :popcorn:
If you can't show the fiscal restraint to save 20% for a down payment, I question how serious you are towards making such a financial commitment. Sorry, not everyone should be a homeowner.And lenders obviously feel much more comfortable seeing their borrowers having more skin in the game. Not only does this help cushion the lender from declines in the housing market, but it also gives borrowers a much stronger disincentive from walking away during such declines.Besides, if you get the government to stop juicing the housing market through all of the subsidies, easy financing and easy monetary policies, prices would adjust accordingly at all income levels.
Pretty tough to save 20% for a $700k+ house when you're already paying $2200/mo. in rent. For us though the hard part isn't the down payment but actually being approved for a loan.

I would argue that if the 20% rule had stayed in effect, the house never would have been valued at 500k. In fact, since it is difficult for anyone to save up that kind of payment, that would drive the price of the home down.
You think that the politicians (let alone the community) would let that much wealth be crushed? There's a lot of the nation's wealth tied up in real estate and unwinding that will take years of hard policy decisions. If steps are taken too quickly, the entire economy could flounder.What's needed is a steady 3-5% reduction in home prices, or at least 1% below inflation... steady deflation of the prices of real estate assets.That coupled with tighter lending practices should restore the both the balance of wealth tied up in real estate as well as the balance of renters vs. owners. Obviously it's lopsided now and many people agree on that part. How to get there is another story.Nonetheless, there's plenty of people like myself that have good, stable jobs with above median salary, little debt, and still no way to buy a home in today's market.

You think that the politicians (let alone the community) would let that much wealth be crushed? There's a lot of the nation's wealth tied up in real estate and unwinding that will take years of hard policy decisions. If steps are taken too quickly, the entire economy could flounder.What's needed is a steady 3-5% reduction in home prices, or at least 1% below inflation... steady deflation of the prices of real estate assets.That coupled with tighter lending practices should restore the both the balance of wealth tied up in real estate as well as the balance of renters vs. owners. Obviously it's lopsided now and many people agree on that part. How to get there is another story.Nonetheless, there's plenty of people like myself that have good, stable jobs with above median salary, little debt, and still no way to buy a home in today's market.
Yea, I was talking more in retrospect. As far as what to do now, I agree that it's not possible to just all of a sudden tighten up standards.If you have a stable job with above median salary, and still can't buy a home, you must live in California. That place is ####ed up.

Yea, I was talking more in retrospect. As far as what to do now, I agree that it's not possible to just all of a sudden tighten up standards.If you have a stable job with above median salary, and still can't buy a home, you must live in California. That place is ####ed up.
I think Z is facing the same issues I'm facing; Z can probably buy a home now, but it just makes no sense based on historical housing data and current macroeconomic environment. Homes in many/most areas of CA still have a long way to fall to get back to normal price v. income levels. That coupled with 12% unemployment, stricter lending standards, and a mountain of foreclosures on the way suggest that waiting is still preferable in many areas.I agree with the "####ed up" part. It sucks that I'll probably be renting for another 2-3 years watching the price of the home I'll eventually buy continue to fall in value instead of being able to purchase it now and start building equity with my monthly payments. It's frustrating, but preferable to buying now and drowning as my house falls deeper and deeper underwater.

Some of you raise the point... I CAN buy a house right now. However that house is located either 40+ miles from my workplace or in places where you wouldn't even want to leave a car overnight. Not places I'd like or am willing to live.

Some of you raise the point... I CAN buy a house right now. However that house is located either 40+ miles from my workplace or in places where you wouldn't even want to leave a car overnight. Not places I'd like or am willing to live.
is it possible to do that for a while and work your way up? Get something that is affordable and livable but needs work...over time, pour in some sweat equity and after a few years, sell for a slight mark-up, roll over any appreciation you have, throw down some additional savings, and buy something a little closer to where you want to be. Repeat if necessary.I'm assuming you are a pretty handy guy...I'm sure tiling a bathroom, re-doing a floor, updating the landscaping, etc...these are all things that you can do on your own, don't have to cost a ton of money, and can really help turn an outdated house around.I know it's probably not the answer you want to hear because it's not immediate gratification, but I think that's how people eventually afford the $700k houses.

Most of this stuff is way over my head, but you Cali guys shouldn't be so down on not being able to buy a house right now.

Take advantage of renting and enjoy living where you WANT to live, not having to worry about home maintenance, and not losing money on decreasing home values.

In the meantime, the stock market is kicking ### right now, so just invest your down payment. You'll come out ahead.

moleculo said:
The Z Machine said:
is it possible to do that for a while and work your way up? Get something that is affordable and livable but needs work...over time, pour in some sweat equity and after a few years, sell for a slight mark-up, roll over any appreciation you have, throw down some additional savings, and buy something a little closer to where you want to be. Repeat if necessary.I'm assuming you are a pretty handy guy...I'm sure tiling a bathroom, re-doing a floor, updating the landscaping, etc...these are all things that you can do on your own, don't have to cost a ton of money, and can really help turn an outdated house around.I know it's probably not the answer you want to hear because it's not immediate gratification, but I think that's how people eventually afford the $700k houses.
That may work in many places, but even the fixer uppers around here are $400k+. I'm not going to live in Richmond, Union City, or some other suburb that is borderline dangerous.Here's an example: my brother bought 1/2 a Victorian in SF in an OK "up and coming" (read: formerly ghetto) neighborhood. It was a Tenant-in-Common with the flat above. He's since split it into 2 condos, where there's separate titles. He's put in a new bathroom himself, and we're installing new hardwood floors right now. It's a 1 bedroom with a convertible 2nd bedroom that used to be the dining room. Probably 900 sq. ft.He paid ~$500k a few years ago for it. This was a fixer-upper. He could afford it because he only had to put 5% down. That's $25k. That same down payment at 20% down is $125k. Try finding ANYTHING in the Bay Area (regardless of ghetto or not) for $125k. Housing prices are so out of whack here...

Realtor just sent back our numbers - good news is we will be able to sell our house for 8k-18k more than we bought it for 3 years ago, bad news is he is estimating 8% in costs to sell?

Is 8% right? Would eat about a third of what we'd walk away with in profit/equity.

FavreCo said:
You gotta be kidding: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/At-foreclosu...ml?x=0&.v=1

But at a recent auction of about 100 foreclosed houses and condos, it was just Property No. 20 -- and drawing no bids from a roomful of buyers despite its bargain-basement price.

"Any interest in this home at $7,000?" fast-talking auctioneer Renee Jones asked the crowd. "If not, we'll move on."''

:lmao: That's pretty bad.
Keep in mind there might be other reasons. Tax bills would be one. Also, if there wasn't any equity, the bank could step in with an upset bid.

Realtor just sent back our numbers - good news is we will be able to sell our house for 8k-18k more than we bought it for 3 years ago, bad news is he is estimating 8% in costs to sell?Is 8% right? Would eat about a third of what we'd walk away with in profit/equity.
:kicksrock:

Realtor just sent back our numbers - good news is we will be able to sell our house for 8k-18k more than we bought it for 3 years ago, bad news is he is estimating 8% in costs to sell?Is 8% right? Would eat about a third of what we'd walk away with in profit/equity.
:mellow:
What are you paying 8% for? What is the commission the agent is charging? Also, figure you pay your legal fees but most other stuff would be picked up by the buyer.

:kicksrock:
What are you paying 8% for? What is the commission the agent is charging? Also, figure you pay your legal fees but most other stuff would be picked up by the buyer.
I assume 3% and 3%... so aside from realtor fees is 2% average for selling a house minus realtor commission?I understand the realtor portion is negotiable.

By Marc Lifsher

October 13, 2009

marc.lifsher@latimes.com
Whether the loan products are good or not should be for the consumer to decide, not the government. If people were really held accountable for their actions, these products would not be so widespread.

link

Survey: South Florida home values to plunge even more; Miami will be biggest loser with 29.9 percent decline

By MONICA HATCHER

Miami Herald Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

While recent evidence shows South Florida's home values have begun to flatten out, a new forecast says prices of single-family homes will take another serious tumble in the year to come.

And, among 381 metropolitan areas ranked nationwide, Miami will be the biggest loser, according to Fiserv, a financial information and analysis firm.

The firm predicts Miami home values will plunge another 29.9 percent by June 2010, on top of price declines of 48 percent since peaking in 2006. Orlando fared second-worse, with values shrinking 27 percent. Prices are forecast to fall another 26 percent in Fort Lauderdale.

Nationwide, Fiserv predicts home values will slide another 11.3 percent

In Miami, that means the median home price would fall to $150,500 by next June and $153,100 in the Fort Lauderdale metro area. The price deductions are calculated from the median price at the end of the second quarter.

The forecast contradicts recent evidence from the highly regarded S&P/Case-Shiller index as well as median price data from the Florida Association of Realtors. Both measures have shown single-family home values mellowing in South Florida. Fiserv bases its forecast on Case-Shiller data, but also other economic variables, including interest rates, demographic trends and labor market conditions.

Jack McCabe, a Deerfield Beach-based real estate analyst, said the Fiserv forecast was unrealistic. He predicts prices will fall another 10 percent to 15 percent region-wide before bottoming out. After that, they will remain flat for two more years, as the effect of a massive number of foreclosures lingers.

McCabe said Case-Shiller data generally lagged other real-time housing indicators available to analysts. He agreed, however, that South Florida's housing woes were not over.

"Distressed properties are going to fuel the inventory pipeline through 2010,'' McCabe said.

"Because they are distressed, they are going to have the lowest asking prices and they are going to dictate market conditions.''

For more information on this story, visit www.sun-sentinel.com
A 29.9% drop would basically put home values at their 2001 levels.

link

Survey: South Florida home values to plunge even more; Miami will be biggest loser with 29.9 percent decline

By MONICA HATCHER

Miami Herald Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

While recent evidence shows South Florida's home values have begun to flatten out, a new forecast says prices of single-family homes will take another serious tumble in the year to come.

And, among 381 metropolitan areas ranked nationwide, Miami will be the biggest loser, according to Fiserv, a financial information and analysis firm.

The firm predicts Miami home values will plunge another 29.9 percent by June 2010, on top of price declines of 48 percent since peaking in 2006. Orlando fared second-worse, with values shrinking 27 percent. Prices are forecast to fall another 26 percent in Fort Lauderdale.

Nationwide, Fiserv predicts home values will slide another 11.3 percent

In Miami, that means the median home price would fall to $150,500 by next June and $153,100 in the Fort Lauderdale metro area. The price deductions are calculated from the median price at the end of the second quarter.

The forecast contradicts recent evidence from the highly regarded S&P/Case-Shiller index as well as median price data from the Florida Association of Realtors. Both measures have shown single-family home values mellowing in South Florida. Fiserv bases its forecast on Case-Shiller data, but also other economic variables, including interest rates, demographic trends and labor market conditions.

Jack McCabe, a Deerfield Beach-based real estate analyst, said the Fiserv forecast was unrealistic. He predicts prices will fall another 10 percent to 15 percent region-wide before bottoming out. After that, they will remain flat for two more years, as the effect of a massive number of foreclosures lingers.

McCabe said Case-Shiller data generally lagged other real-time housing indicators available to analysts. He agreed, however, that South Florida's housing woes were not over.

"Distressed properties are going to fuel the inventory pipeline through 2010,'' McCabe said.

"Because they are distressed, they are going to have the lowest asking prices and they are going to dictate market conditions.''

For more information on this story, visit www.sun-sentinel.com
A 29.9% drop would basically put home values at their 2001 levels.
We would already be on the rebound if Wash DC had let the market find the bottom. Expect another bill to continue to prop up prices and extend the tail spin.

Housing still falling....

Home prices falling in most major U.S. cities

NEW YORK — Damage from the housing bust is spreading to areas once thought to be immune.

In at least 14 major U.S. metro areas, prices are now at 2003 levels — when the housing bubble was just starting to inflate. Prices will likely fall further this year, making many people reluctant to buy or sell. That would push down sales and prices more.

The depressed housing industry is slowing an economy that has shown strength elsewhere. And it's starting to hurt those who bought years before the housing boom began. In some cities, people who have paid their mortgages for a decade have little or no home equity.

Prices have tumbled in familiar troubled spots, such as Las Vegas, Cleveland and Detroit. But they're also at or near 10-year lows in Denver, Atlanta, Chicago and Minneapolis — cities that weren't as swept up in the housing boom and bust.

"It's been tough on the lower class but it's filtering up," said Paul Dales, senior U.S. economist with Capital Economics. "It may be only a matter of time before it hits the wealthy."

Just about the only major market weathering the second wave of the housing downturn is Washington. Home prices there have risen 11 percent in the past two years.

Prices fell from December to January in all but one of the 20 cities tracked by the Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home price index. The index, a gauge of national home prices, dipped for the sixth straight month. Prices in 11 of the cities are at their lowest point since the housing bubble burst.

The report measures prices relative to those in January 2000. For each of the 20 metro areas it studies, it provides an updated three-month average price.

"The housing market recession is not yet over, and none of the statistics are indicating any form of sustained recovery," said David M. Blitzer, chairman of the Index Committee at Standard & Poor's.

Weak home sales and falling prices are imposing a heavy burden on the economy, which has gained strength from higher consumer spending. Applications for unemployment benefits are at pre-recession lows. Manufacturing activity is growing at its fastest rate in seven years.

By contrast, sales of previously occupied homes are coming off the worst year in more than a decade. And new homes are selling at the slowest pace on records dating back to 1963.

In part, the weakening prices show how much a home-buying tax credit stimulated sales in late 2009 and early 2010. Once those tax credits expired in April, many markets began a decline that shows no sign of stopping. Some economists say the tax credits merely postponed the bottoming out that's occurring now.

Millions of foreclosures and short sales are largely to blame. Short sales occur when lenders let homeowners sell for less than they owe on their mortgage. These cut-rate sales have left a glut of discounted properties in many markets. Prices won't stop falling until they are cleared.

Even though foreclosures and short sales have created a glut of homes for sale, many of them are undesirable. The supply of homes that people actually want to buy — and can afford to — is much narrower.

"Some people who want to buy don't have the time, desire or energy to fix up a foreclosure, so they don't buy them," said Ron Shuffield, president of Esslinger-Wooten-Maxwell Realtors Inc. in Miami, where foreclosures or short sales make up two-thirds of the homes sold.

In many cases, a standoff has developed between buyers and sellers. Potential sellers are holding off putting their on the market, fearing they won't come close to getting their asking price. Buyers, seeing prices fall, are holding out for a steal.

"Buyers are coming in with low offers, and sellers are bristling at lowering their listing price," said J. Philip Faranda, who runs his own real estate firm in Westchester County, New York. "Sellers believe they already lost money with their asking price so they don't want to cut the price. They're frustrated."

The supply of homes for sale in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area has plummeted 26 percent over the past year, according to the Minneapolis Area Association of Realtors. And those still being sold now fetch an average of just 88 percent of the listing prices.

The Twin Cities have had price declines of 11 percent over the past six months. That's the worst among cities tracked by the home price index.

Minneapolis enjoys a strong local economy and low unemployment. But it's been beset by foreclosures and skittish home-buyers.

"We have a lot of people that own their own home, that don't have mortgages," said Brad Fisher, sales manager of Edina Realty in Minneapolis. "A lot of these people are going to hang tight and not put their foot back in the market until they feel confident."

That feeling is shared by many homeowners. More than 90 percent of homeowners now say it's a bad time to sell their home, according to a consumer confidence survey done by Reuters/University of Michigan.

Over the past year, prices for the most affordable homes have fallen by 7.5 percent, compared with a 5 percent drop for middle-tier homes and a 2.3 percent decline for the most expensive properties, according to data analyzed by Capital Economics.

Terence Avella waited three years to find a seller for his three-bedroom ranch in Chappaqua, N.Y. He bought it in 2006 for $530,000 — 18 percent less than the listing price of $650,000.

Avella, 33, won't disclose the selling price since the deal is still under contract. But it's a lot less than what he paid plus the $100,000 in improvements he's made.

"At the time, I thought it was a good deal," he said. "Now, I'm eating it."

good article.

note though that the west and south (which actually improved) is still at or over 50.

regardless, that still has nothing to do with a bubble and you will be better off buying now than in 8 months from now with interest rates rising.

but keep on waiting tommy.  when the market corrects and you still not wanting to buy (likely because rates will be too high for you) you will then see housing prices go back up and you will wait for the next correction in 10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buying now in San Diego is absolutely idiotic. Reductions are everywhere, and the -1% YOY drop in the San Diego median last month isn't anywhere close to representing where the market is right now. Inventory at record highs and sales of 30% YOY, and prices just starting to dip, and you're advocating "buy now"? :lmao:

Glad I didn't take your advice a few months ago on this place 2 blocks from my apartment, I'd be out $100,000:

Price Reduced: 04/29/06 -- $599,000 to $549,000 Price Reduced: 07/13/06 -- $549,000 to $499,900

1975 BACON ST, SD - Ocean Beach, CA 92107 

Listing Price: $499,900*   

Your ZipRealty rebate up to: $2,999**

Bedrooms:   2  Bathrooms:   1 

Square Feet:   600  Lot Size:   N/A 

Listing Date:   01/15/06  Year Built:   1920
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you wouldn't be out anything as you wouldn't be selling it.also, people who are selling (i know as both myself and my fiance are selling our condos to buy a home) are willing to cut prices as they are sitting on 150%+ gains. if i only gain 150% instead of 200%, i am not crying in my milk. i am willing to cut prices on my place to sell in a reasonably short amount of time to get into a bigger home cheaper. what i save on a larger place is greater than what i will lose on a smaller place.

you see tommy, people price their places at the maximum amount they think they can get...in this recent market people were adding on 20% on top of last year's price. now that they realize prices are coming off last year or holding steady, they are getting their selling price back in line.

i would have hoped that if you were looking at that condo (which you weren't, we all know you hand picked one for your example) you would have comped out the market and realized the asking price was too high and would not have made an offer.

keep on waiting tommy, let me know how renting turns out for you in the long run.

:thumbup:

[/QUOTE]So far so good gb bagger. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread