What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I’ve changed my mind; it’s time to impeach Donald Trump (3 Viewers)

Maybe Tim is on the leading edge...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/amazon-billionaire-jeff-bezos-explains-why-the-smartest-people-change-their-minds-often.html

“Bezos went on to explain that the smartest people he’s observed were always “revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they’d already solved. They’re open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking,” Fried recalls.

In short, smart people (a.k.a. those who are “right a lot”), change their minds — a lot.”
I wish I was as smart as Jeff Bezos. 

Churchill was another guy who was called “wishy-washy” his entire career. he wrote, “consistency is the hallmark of small minds” I think. Something like that. 

It's like watching multiple Netflix shows in the same week. That's crazy talk!
It’s not usual but I’ve known others who have done it. A lot of book lovers read literally dozens of books at a time. Stephen King reads 150-200 books a year. I can’t read nearly that fast, but Kindle has changed the way I read. 

If Russia are you listening is your evidence for point 2 you are in trouble.  As for point 3, Trump waived executive priviledge and allowed everyone to testify and handed over thousands of documents Mueller's team asked for.  He went above and beyond what was required.  To say he stonewalled Mueller is a flat out lie.
Oh, so you have read the entirety of the mueller report? 

Was there something is the Mueller report to warrant changing a conclusion?  If anything on the most important issue of collusion, it was largely exonerating as no real proof was found.  Obstruction is a murky crime.   There needs to be a firm line between protecting your rights and things which are clearly obstruction such as destroying evidence or lying about material matters.  

I am at odds with how obstruction is applied.  There are cases like Martha Steward and Scooter Libby where it was more about CYA of the prosecutors than administering justice.  Nixon was a case where the results were justifiable where evidence was destroyed.   Then there were cases like Clinton where he was clearly lying but it was questionable if it was material to any of the investigations.  So in the end, the Senate got it right, but the House impeaching was overboard. It is too easy to scream obstruction because defendants will always do things to protect their rights. 

Giving vague non-answers should not be grounds for obstruction.  Given the lack of evidence of an actual crime, a questionable case of obstruction, which will clearly fail in the Senate, is just wrong.  Beat Trump in the election, not by overreaching (or perhaps even abusing) the oversight power vested the House by the Constitution for partisan purposes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that it might even help Trump get re-elected doesn’t matter. We need to show our grandchildren that some of us were willing to stand up and do the right thing. 
Nothing is more important than assuring that Donald Trump is a one-term president.  Go after him after the election 

Giving vague non-answers should not be grounds for obstruction.  Given the lack of evidence of an actual crime, a questionable case of obstruction, which will clearly fail in the Senate, is just wrong.
Giving vague non-answers is not one of the eleven instances of possible obstruction that Mueller analyzed, and there was extremely strong evidence of actual crimes. (The widespread and systematic interference by Russia violated U.S. criminal law. The investigation into those crimes is the same investigation that Trump obstructed — by trying to fire Mueller, by trying to curtail or have the A.G. control his investigation, by asking McGahn to manufacture false evidence, by pressuring several witnesses to testify a certain way...)

Giving vague non-answers is not one of the eleven instances of possible obstruction that Mueller analyzed, and there was extremely strong evidence of actual crimes. (The widespread and systematic interference by Russia violated U.S. criminal law. The investigation into those crimes is the same investigation that Trump obstructed — by trying to fire Mueller, by trying to curtail or have the A.G. control his investigation, by asking McGahn to manufacture false evidence, by pressuring several witnesses to testify a certain way...)
:goodposting:  The fact that Trump attempted to get others to block, stop or mislead the investigation is obstruction.    But I still don't think the Democrats should go forward with impeachment because it will likely blow up in their face.

The crime I was referring to is the collusion, the Russian interference was established before the investigation.  Trump having discussions with his lawyer is not obstruction, it is protected.  The other actions are more political than obstruction.  It depends on the pressure which was applied as to whether that might be obstruction.  Not all familiar with that.  

The crime I was referring to is the collusion, the Russian interference was established before the investigation.  Trump having discussions with his lawyer is not obstruction, it is protected.  The other actions are more political than obstruction.  It depends on the pressure which was applied as to whether that might be obstruction.  Not all familiar with that.  
Are you calling McGahn Trump's lawyer?

tim’s got the thickest skin on the board, but your post falls short of excellence.
I agree, but man, a lot of stuff goes on here that deserves a comment like this, and I don't totally exclude myself from that lament, unfortunately. 

But it's nice to see this sort of comment from somebody who is respected enough (and by that I mean official board status, genuine even-keeled temperament, and intellectual respect) to do normative encouraging.

The crime I was referring to is the collusion, the Russian interference was established before the investigation.  Trump having discussions with his lawyer is not obstruction, it is protected.  The other actions are more political than obstruction.  It depends on the pressure which was applied as to whether that might be obstruction.  Not all familiar with that. 
I know you’re partisan but I also believe you to be honest. I think that once you’ve heard public testimony you may change your mind. That’s part of the reason I want to move forward. 

I agree, but man, a lot of stuff goes on here that deserves a comment like this, and I don't totally exclude myself from that lament, unfortunately. 

But it's nice to see this sort of comment from somebody who is respected enough (and by that I mean official board status, genuine even-keeled temperament, and intellectual respect) to do normative encouraging.
Lol. I didn’t complain about it, but I don’t think “do us all a favor and shut up” is something I’d call “normative encouraging” or “nice to see”. Interesting that you would write this. 

Lol. I didn’t complain about it, but I don’t think “do us all a favor and shut up” is something I’d call “normative encouraging” or “nice to see”. Interesting that you would write this. 
No, tim, you're reading what I wrote wrong. I meant Maurile's comment was well-placed, and that he was in a respected enough position to do so. 

I was siding with Maurile and you, really. If that was unclear, I apologize. 

I'm sorry to digress from the thread; just saw that and figured it was a welcome thing. 

eta* I'm not sure how I feel about impeachment myself, but I lean toward censure.

No, tim, you're reading what I wrote wrong. I meant Maurile's comment was well-placed, and that he was in a respected enough position to do so. 

I was siding with Maurile and you, really. If that was unclear, I apologize. 
Ah. My apologies to you then. 

The best thing about impeaching President Trump is that....in the end....he will be deemed OFFICIALLY "not guilty"  of whatever "crime" the Left has dreamed up... :lol:

...as if that would stop the Left from whining.

I agree. 

The proper etiquette is to call someone a troll, then request that all other posters use the ignore function or stop quoting.

It's the passive aggressive way of saying "shut up".

Government prosecutors on Thursday released the audio recording of a voicemail from President Donald Trump's then-personal lawyer asking Michael Flynn's attorney for "some kind of heads up" about the former national security adviser's cooperation with investigators.

"Hey, Rob, uhm, this is John again," the Nov. 22, 2017 voicemail recording starts out, as Trump's lawyer, John Dowd, requests Flynn's attorney, Rob Kelner, for a "heads up" about the nature of Flynn's cooperation, a move that special counsel Robert Mueller's team has described as a "potential" effort to hinder the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

"If, on the other hand, we have, there's information that. .. implicates the President, then we've got a national security issue, or maybe a national security issue, I don't know ... some issue, we got to-we got to deal with, not only for the President, but for the country," Dowd tells Kelner in the voicemail. "So ... uh ... you know, then-then, you know, we need some kind of heads up. Um, just for the sake of ... protecting all our interests, if we can, without you having to give up any ... confidential information."

I agree. 

The proper etiquette is to call someone a troll, then request that all other posters use the ignore function or stop quoting.

It's the passive aggressive way of saying "shut up".
Dont forget to call them an alias too.

And then report them to daddy

Nothing is more important than assuring that Donald Trump is a one-term president.  Go after him after the election 
Standing for what's right is more important.  Having a moral compass is more important.  Trump will be gone one day, one way or another. Those who choose apparent political expedience over what is right and just will carry that for the rest of their lives, it will now be part of the calculation of who they are, their judgments, their motives will always be suspect, and rightfully so in my estimation.

I know you’re partisan but I also believe you to be honest. I think that once you’ve heard public testimony you may change your mind. That’s part of the reason I want to move forward. 
President seems to not like  public testimony. Before Mueller spoke in public it was "completely exonerated ".

Now it's 

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

“Mueller’s report was pure, political garbage!”

@SeanHannity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-HZz5Qv8E

When you stood up to be counted with the enemy of everything the grail constitution stands for who gives a damn what you think...

Don't be dragged to his (Trump's terms).  Stand for what is right for the sake of right.  Yes he will try to turn justice and morality on its head.  He will do so regardless.  Don't live in fear of him, defy him and those who support him.  Showing strength of character supports others in doing the same.  It is how tides are turned.

First of all, respect to @timschochet. Most people aren't nearly as willing to admit they were wrong. Humility is a great quality to have IMO.

As far as impeachment goes, I keep hearing about how if they impeach it will help Trump in 2020.

I disagree with that anyway, but what about the flip side? What if they don't impeach and he still wins? Now he's even more emboldened and people like me will be screaming from the rooftops that they should've impeached when they had the chance.

No, he's not gonna get removed from office. But a whole lot of his dirty laundry is going to go public. It will be a spectacle. It will change minds.

It matters the most, Tim. If doing the right thing results in four more years of Trump, the damage to this country and our institutions may be irrevocable (if it already isn't).

If the Democrats go the impeachment route, that is all that will be talked about until the 2020 election, irrespective of the issues. Trump will play the victim, scream "Witch Hunt!!!" and it could well result in a second Trump term that will be disastrous to our nation, once he becomes a lame duck POTUS.
Oh please.  Enough of the dramatics. 

Look, if Nancy manages to delay this and ends up not doing it at all, and then Trump loses anyhow, it’s not like I’m going to be dismayed by that outcome. But I’ll still believe that she made a mistake. 

I find it cute that "liberals" think that not impeaching means that trump will not whine about the investigation and won't scream witch hunt throughout the election year. 

It's going to be a pillar of his campaign along with immigration fear mongering. That's all he has. Not even his supporters expect him to talk about actual policy. They know that's a losing proposition. If the derm candidate keeps it about issues and demands policy solutions from him it's over. 

I look at this as two different issues. Impeachment and 2020 election. Neither should have an impact on the other. 

The impeachment process would have started for any other President. 

I'm a rules guy. If the rules were broken, I don't care if you're the best President, or the worst. Action must be taken. Since this is a fake football board, the analogy I would use is a star player that beats his wife or child. On the field ability doesn't matter. The rules matter. We have processes in place to investigate and find the truth. If that means impeachment, fine. If it means that impeachment is not reached, I'm fine with that also. But, the process must be followed.

When Nancy steps to the plate on this it will be 3 strikes looking.
It’s interesting- the political consequences are not the reason I changed my mind on this- as I mentioned, it was the moral clarity of Senator Warren’s speech- but that being said, for some time now I have been reconsidering my political assumptions as well: 

Like many people here, I assumed that impeachment would help Trump get re-elected. But then I began to ask myself, why is that, and I couldn’t come up with compelling answers. There are three explanations I hear most often, especially on conservative radio: first, that currently 56% of the population is opposed to impeachment hearings. Well of course that number will change. But even if it doesn’t, why should we assume that because people don’t like impeachment, they will then vote for Trump? Out of sympathy? People never vote out of sympathy, so that’s no answer. 

The second argument is that when Clinton was impeached in 1998 his approval numbers went up. That’s true but it ignores the fact that prior to impeachment Clinton was already hovering at around 60%. Trump is burdened with a very consistent 53% disapproval rating and it’s hard to see how that number changes short of some kind of national calamity like war or a terrorist attack, and then only temporarily as we rally behind our leader. 

The final argument is that this will so energize Trump supporters that they will come out in force in 2020 and secure his win. Well maybe. It would seem to me that public impeachment hearings that describe Trump’s obstruction might have the opposite effect. But even if it doesn’t, aren’t the Trump fans already going to be energized? And if this also energizes those who don’t like Trump, how can this be to his advantage? 

Again nobody can predict what the political outcome will be. But I don’t think it’s safe to assume it will be good for Trump. 

I look at this as two different issues. Impeachment and 2020 election. Neither should have an impact on the other. 

The impeachment process would have started for any other President. 

I'm a rules guy. If the rules were broken, I don't care if you're the best President, or the worst. Action must be taken. Since this is a fake football board, the analogy I would use is a star player that beats his wife or child. On the field ability doesn't matter. The rules matter. We have processes in place to investigate and find the truth. If that means impeachment, fine. If it means that impeachment is not reached, I'm fine with that also. But, the process must be followed.
I wish this were more of an exact analogy, because if it were, then we could suspend Trump as President while the investigation played out- how sweet would that be? 

Glad Liz Warren put it all together for you Tim.  
It’s really ironic isn’t it? I like her as a person, but I probably disagree with her politics more than any other Democratic  candidate outside of Bernie and not including Tulsi Gabbard who has no shot. I’m not supporting her for President, though if she gets the nod I’ll gladly vote for her given the opponent. But what she said on this issue made sense to me in a way other people haven’t. It hit home. 

Id guess Nancy does just fine in the house.  That isn't the worry.  The corrupt Senate is the issue.
Those darn republicans!

Tell me...exactly when was the last time that a prediction by the MSM and the Left that spelled D-O-O-M for candidate, then President Trump, have come to pass?

Jeez....a weatherman guarantees rain, everyday for two years and it never rains....not once. 
Do you still tune to that weatherman and rely on his forecast...no matter how badly you want to see it rain?

Is it just the fantasy of it actually raining that keeps you tuning in and believing that tomorrow is the day?

I wish this were more of an exact analogy, because if it were, then we could suspend Trump as President while the investigation played out- how sweet would that be? 
Not really. Who would decide when to suspend? I would see the suspension being abused by both sides. We have a process in place. We don't need new process.

Predictable and not all at surprising.

Emotion defeats mind.

It might be the "just" move but it's not the correct move.

Dems gonna Dem.

Always zig when they should zag.

We're doomed.

Users who are viewing this thread