What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (3 Viewers)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. As much as i feel that every hour is an accomplishment, i didn’t want to turn this into an hour by hour update. As of now, its 54.5 hours, but hey, who’s counting ?  :unsure:

I’ve basically decided to do the smoker’s equivalent of punching myself in the nuts. Wife and I always smoke outside on the screened in porch. (I live in Florida, so this is basically my man cave. Flat screen tv, recliner, etc.) While I havent smoked, i still sit out here in the morning  having coffee, 2 of my smokes still sitting in my last pack on the table next to me, and watching the news with my wife, who still smokes. ( she’s under 10 a day now, just hasn’t pulled the trigger, although she’s close). 

I’m currently doing something that I have never done in my life, thus the need to post, in part to keep me busy. I’m watching football, 2 beers in,   and not smoking. Not sure if I’m crazy, or just being honest with myself. I figure if I can’t do what I love without smokes, then I’m not ready. But I’m holding on. 

Hang in there all.  It's not as difficult as it feels and totally worth the effort.  

I think I just hit 10 years on Xmas Eve.  I didn't go out for NYE that year because I didn't think I could survive the triggers.  I think cold turkey is the way to go, but no shame in a crutch if it works for you.  

I'd recommend the patch only for a few days to take the edge off, then go cold turkey.  

You're still giving your body nicotine, but only a reduced amount.  I personally think it prolongs the agony and decreases the chance for success.

13 years now. Cold turkey. Was a pack to a pack-and-a-half a day smoker for 15 years. It was shockingly easy (this last time).

Tried to quit a few times before, unsuccessfully. A few observations on quitting:

1) You have to really want to quit. Really, truly want to. If you think they are cool, part of your image, etc, then you aren't ready. If you are quitting because you "should" or for someone else, you probably aren't ready either. You have to truly reach a point where you say "I've had it with these stupid things". I know a kid (well, 25 really isn't a kid, but he is to me) who "says" he wants to quit. Yet his facebook profile pic is him w/ that cig dangled "just so" - he's clearly still enamored w/ the image. He's not quitting anytime soon.

2) To make quitting easier, your overall life should be good. I tried to quit a few times while I was generally unhappy w/ life (bad relationship, bad job, etc), and I failed because cigs were actually a positive in my life. I enjoyed those 5-7 minutes of smoking immensely - they were a respite. It's harder to quit something like that.

good luck - life w/o cigs is very liberating. The extra cash in the beginning is nice, too.
Pretty similar for me too.  Pack/day for several years and then quit with Camel Snus.  Then started again, pack/day for a couple years and quit cold turkey on 4/10/15.  Then immediately gained like 15 lbs.  At a certain point you just say enough is enough.  For me it was noticing the drag of chemicals sifting through my lungs and into the air.  And my teeth being discolored.  

If I knew I could limit use to once/week I'd probably still do it.  I'm glad I don't smoke anymore but if I wasn't with a nonsmoker things may have gone a lot differently.  

If you smoke cheap stuff like Pall Malls I think the cost difference is actually pretty negligible, since cigarettes are kind of like a meal in themselves.  The health concern was a factor but not as much as just wanting to feel clean.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread