What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I wish to do articles and such in my fantasy football league (1 Viewer)

CKfromSFV

Footballguy
Hello everyone,

I just joined a dynasty football league, and would like to start writing some articles regarding our league, and the NFL in general. 

I do not have any knowledge/experience of this kind. But I can write coherent sentences that people can follow along.

I am looking for advice, examples of articles, knowledge, etc.

I mainly want to do this to be of service, and to hopefully create camaraderie between the owners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

• Analytic writing is part art, part science. Practice it. It'll take years to do well.
  • Present your bottom line up front (BLUF), followed by evidence. 
  • Present a confidence level in your assessment. Nobody expects you to be right 100% of the time; don't write as if you expect to be.
  • Be consistent with your phrasing so your readers know what you mean each time you write something is "likely" to happen, for example.
  • Avoid sport cliches, especially the fantasy type. Same with lame phrasing (e.g., "tote the rock", "what the heck flex"). 
  • Learn to write more with fewer words.
Most fantasy content sucks and is unreadable. But there's demand for good stuff. Good luck.

I used to do a "Commissioner's Corner" in the leagues I ran.  I'd talk about the teams that were on a roll, on the skids, interesting tidbits or stats I noticed, match up of the week, how the playoff picture was shaping up, etc.  One of the favorites was the first article of the year I'd do "top 3 comments heard at the draft" that were basically people ragging on certain teams or picks.

SFBayDuck said:
Damn, you too?  I guess it's true what they say about there being no more original thoughts.....
"Darkness is good - **** Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That’s power. Lick the darkest corner of my uniform, leftarded worm, and i'll tell you more"

I've done this for my league before on a very limited basis. Championship matchup, going into Week 1, etc.

I can say with certainty, other owners do appreciate it and have fun with it. Definitely builds a bond within the league.

CKfromSFV said:
Hello everyone,

I just joined a dynasty football league, and would like to start writing some articles regarding our league, and the NFL in general. 

I do not have any knowledge/experience of this kind. But I can write coherent sentences that people can follow along.

I mainly want to do this to be of service, and to hopefully create camaraderie between the owners.

Chris
If you posted your first attempt at an article we could help edit and give you some suggestions.

Thanks for the advice to everyone.

I got positive feedback from my league. Going to give it my best, and ask for suggestions/feedback.

CK

Did @shuke get back with you?  He sometimes needs to be pestered a few times.
Hello,

He responded back to me. He said he couldn't help me with writing. The man is probably very busy. But I have a link to a posting regarding his blog. I'm going to dig into that post later. Maybe, I just have to read a few blogs/articles/etc., and just get to writing in order to learn.

I was kinda figuring there was more "science" than art.

Thanks

CK

Hello,

He responded back to me. He said he couldn't help me with writing. The man is probably very busy. But I have a link to a posting regarding his blog. I'm going to dig into that post later. Maybe, I just have to read a few blogs/articles/etc., and just get to writing in order to learn.

Thanks

CK

This is some tier 1 shtick.  Bravo.

Thanks for the advice to everyone.

I got positive feedback from my league. Going to give it my best, and ask for suggestions/feedback.

CK
Remember the 3 keys to good writing:

1. Make it a list with a countdown, "Top 10..."

2. Do the Bill Simmons and compare sports to movies scenes 

Remember the 3 keys to good writing:

1. Make it a list with a countdown, "Top 10..."

2. Do the Bill Simmons and compare sports to movies scenes 
Be sure to make the user click to a new screen for each item on the list.

It'll feel like a game to the user and will surely result in more ad revenue at as positive word of mouth gets actions.

20 hours ago, CKfromSFV said:
Hello,

Thanks

CK
Expand  

This is some tier 1 shtick.  Bravo.

it's very authentic - I'll give him that.

Well, the majority, if not all, of you men think this is some sort of game. 

I join this site because of the supposedly knowledge and wisdom of this site, and what it has to offer to a newbie to this realm of sports.

But no, I get immature comments and "Atta boy" slaps on the back via emojis.  I do not know, what part do you guys think is a game? I mean, you think everyone has to know everything. So, if they do not, they are playing some sort of game to fool you? Pathetic, sad bunch of men.

I'd put 48% of your time into writing the best click-bait headlines for your articles.

I can help you with this.

Best thing to do here is post all the rosters and rules.  This board is loaded with experts, especially @shuke.  After we see rosters and rules i’d think we’d be in a better position to provide commentary and feedback.  Back in the day, @shuke advised me to go to local sports games around my area and write about those events to develop and style and pattern, but with gas prices and supply chain issues, in this economy it may not be feasible.  Interesting fact though, i wrote my college thesis on the CFL rouge.  Bottom line is to follow your heart!!  Becoming a chef requires long hours and dedication.  Good Luck.

Best thing to do here is post all the rosters and rules.  This board is loaded with experts, especially @shuke.  After we see rosters and rules i’d think we’d be in a better position to provide commentary and feedback.  Back in the day, @shuke advised me to go to local sports games around my area and write about those events to develop and style and pattern, but with gas prices and supply chain issues, in this economy it may not be feasible.  Interesting fact though, i wrote my college thesis on the CFL rouge.  Bottom line is to follow your heart!!  Becoming a chef requires long hours and dedication.  Good Luck.
I will give it some thought. @shuke was very helpful. Could not ask for a better person. He will most definitely get my vote for Mr. Congeniality.

And the majority of you men are saying that I am having fun with my schtick!

You guys have this stuff to a science. Who's pulling your guy's strings?! I want to pull the curtain back!!

Best thing to do here is post all the roosters and rules.  This board is loaded with experts, especially @shuke.  After we see roosters and rules i’d think we’d be in a better position to provide commentary and feedback.  Back in the day, @shuke advised me to go to local sports games around my area and write about those events to develop and style and pattern, but with gas prices and supply chain issues, in this economy it may not be feasible.  Interesting fact though, i wrote my college thesis on the CFL rouge.  Bottom line is to follow your heart!!  Becoming a chef requires long hours and dedication.  Good Luck.
fyp

Hello,

Thanks

CK

Well, the majority, if not all, of you men think this is some sort of game. 

I join this site because of the supposedly knowledge and wisdom of this site, and what it has to offer to a newbie to this realm of sports.

But no, I get immature comments and "Atta boy" slaps on the back via emojis.  I do not know, what part do you guys think is a game? I mean, you think everyone has to know everything. So, if they do not, they are playing some sort of game to fool you? Pathetic, sad bunch of men.
Not even halfway through 2022 and this is already shaping up a as a Post of the Year candidate .

:ptts:

Not even halfway through 2022 and this is already shaping up a as a Post of the Year candidate .

:ptts:
Hello. In reference to your post, you mention Post of the Year, but, you quoted 2 posts. Which one is it? Or did you mean Thread of the Year?

BTW - I wear an Extra Large. I'll pick it up at the gift shop.

Hello everyone,

Chris
I was the commish of a fantasy basketball league many years back.  I had never commished a fantasy league before—but I wanted to run a league to see if I could run one well—and to see if I could somehow keep it fun and interesting enough to keep all of the owners engaged for the entirety of the season.  The format of that league was a weekly head to head style—and one of the things that I did was to do write ups before the weekly matches that would include predictions/analysis and then follow those up with writeups after the match ended weekly.  While I found it to be fun—it was time consuming—but I have to say that it served a purpose.  It kept owners engaged and involved and the other owners enjoyed it.  If you have the time to do what you are describing—go for it.   It’ll be great for your writing skills,  and I’d bet that some of the other owners will find it interesting. 

All joking aside, I took a stab at this a few years ago. Medium is a great site to spin up a few blog posts and try out your writing. I was bored with the old school rules of the game and decided to write about it.

I wasn't able to keep it going, but this might give you some inspiration.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/10-rule-twists-every-fantasy-football-league-should-try-nfl-2019-draft-party-912c02f3cc64

"meh" on some of the suggestions, but big ups for the writing style and flow - good job! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread