What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IBM Presents: You Make The Call (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
About 8 hours before the NCAA championship game between Virginia and Texas Tech, I get an email at work.  It's from the guy who's running the office pool.  He does it all by hand, so there's no way to see updates.  Old school.  The email is to everyone involved and states that if Virginia wins it, Sheik wins the pool.  This was great news, because I was out of all of my other pools.  Even before Selection Sunday, I had told myself Virginia was going to win it all.  Yet for some reason, I talked myself out of them in every pool and replaced them with either Duke or NC.  I let the "experts" sway me.  

But it turned out in the first bracket I completed, I was still sold on Virginia.  So when Virginia won, I came in the next day with a little strut to my step.  I got a couple "congratulations" and high fives.  But the guy running the pool wasn't in the office.  Not anything out of the ordinary.  He travels a lot so I just figured he was on a trip.  The next week, he's still not there.  When the following week comes, I discretely asked where he was to a co-worker.  She said he had been in a terrible accident two weeks ago.   Hit by a drunk driver almost head on.  Luckily, although his car was totaled beyond recognition, he somehow escaped without any serious injuries.  Just some bumps and bruises.  Thank God.

So last week he shows back up in the office and he's walking around and everyone is talking to him about his ordeal.  And he's eating it up.  Again, no injuries.  But he just got back so I'm not going to bother him.  Of course, now we're almost 10 days from his return to work and still not a mention of my winning.  If this was some random dude, I'd probably be a little more unforgiving, but he's a higher up.  Not my higher up, but a higher up.  

This past Monday I saw him in the hallway and was going to say something to him about his accident and he said, "I know.  You want your money.  You'll get it.  I literally almost died a couple weeks ago.  Just let me get back to normal," before walking off.  Again, I was going to ask him about how he was doing.  Not about my money.  As of yet, I have yet to ask him about my money or bring up me winning.  How much longer do I have to wait to say something?  

Again, dude's fine.  I kind of feel like I'm in one of my Larry David moments here.  Everyone else is walking on eggshells around him and treating him like a war hero returning from the front.  And I'm standing there in my black and white bowling style shirt asking where the hell my $100 is.

I didn't realize writing a check or handing over an envelope of cash was so stressful

Last edited by a moderator:
When you volunteer to run these sorts of things, you have a fiduciary responsibility to collect and pay out in a timely manner.  Failure to do so is inexcusable.  He had the time so send out an email telling everybody involved that Sheik was going to win.  He had the time to PayPal/Venmo the funds over.  This is a huge pock mark on his man card.

Fast pay.  Fast friends.  And then wave to him like this.

And it's $100, so it's not about the money at all.  At this point, it's more about the disrespect.  If he was limping or injured, I'd tell him to keep it.  But dude's fine.  And he's totally milking the car wreck.  

Again, I know it was a bad car wreck, but I don't care how bad it is.  If you come away unharmed, I think 3 weeks is enough time to regroup and hand over a C note.  

I'd probably go for a passive-aggressive approach at some point, especially if he's purposefully trying to avoid you.  That worked for me in FF back in law school.  Guy was not paying up and ignoring me.  I started complaining about him to others, and he then started hearing it from people who he cared how they viewed his reputation. Had my money in the next day or so.

Maybe pose the same question in your OP to one of your co-workers, so it comes off as innocent, but then water cooler talk will become how he has not paid you yet.

I'd probably go for a passive-aggressive approach at some point, especially if he's purposefully trying to avoid you.  That worked for me in FF back in law school.  Guy was not paying up and ignoring me.  I started complaining about him to others, and he then started hearing it from people who he cared how they viewed his reputation. Had my money in the next day or so.

Maybe pose the same question in your OP to one of your co-workers, so it comes off as innocent, but then water cooler talk will become how he has not paid you yet.
Thing is, he's VERY well liked in the office.  Like really liked.  But since I'm fairly new, I don't know him all that well.  Whatever.  I'm not here to win a popularity contest.  I'm here to win an NCAA pool.  And to collect on it, mother####er.  :hot:  

Thing is, he's VERY well liked in the office.  Like really liked.  But since I'm fairly new, I don't know him all that well.  Whatever.  I'm not here to win a popularity contest.  I'm here to win an NCAA pool.  And to collect on it, mother####er.  :hot:  
I don't have a good answer then.

Maybe pee on his rug?

Come into work on crutches one day and a huge bandage on half your leg and describe some horrific encounter with a rabid squirrel.  Draw this out, making it seem like the winnings could help your medical bills.  Keep it going until you get paid.

As much as I would like for him to pay me, I do kind of like the fact that he gets flustered when he's around me about the Benny.  I don't even have to say anything. 

I think what's even more odd is that as much as I don't need the hundy, I know he doesn't need it either.  So it's not like I think he's not paying me because he spent it elsewhere.  It would be like Mortimer not being able to pay off his bet to Randolph.  So I'm starting to think this has become a deeper game of Alpha Male Chess.  

As much as I would like for him to pay me, I do kind of like the fact that he gets flustered when he's around me about the Benny.  I don't even have to say anything. 

I think what's even more odd is that as much as I don't need the hundy, I know he doesn't need it either.  So it's not like I think he's not paying me because he spent it elsewhere.  It would be like Mortimer not being able to pay off his bet to Randolph.  So I'm starting to think this has become a deeper game of Alpha Male Chess.  
Some high income people spend every dime they make, unless you have seen his balance sheet ...

Some high income people spend every dime they make, unless you have seen his balance sheet ...
But a hundred dollars?  Just seems odd.  If I was a betting man, and I am, I'd take that $100 he owes me and double down on it being a Alpha Male Chess match more than he's broke.

But a hundred dollars?  Just seems odd.  If I was a betting man, and I am, I'd take that $100 he owes me and double down on it being a Alpha Male Chess match more than he's broke.
Ask him if he's wanting for a double or nothing proposition from you?

Im trying to follow. Does he owe you a hundy or a Benny? Why is Benny proper, but hundy isnt? Personally, Id wear the rasslin boot to work and when he sees you, I'd pound the toe on the ground to load it up.

I'd also consider grabbing the biggest weasel in the office and slapping the Camel Clutch on him while staring the welcher in the eyes, just to send the message. 

Im trying to follow. Does he owe you a hundy or a Benny? Why is Benny proper, but hundy isnt? Personally, Id wear the rasslin boot to work and when he sees you, I'd pound the toe on the ground to load it up.
Ben Franklin is on the hundred.  Benny is a proper name, hundy is not.  

Did you explain to him "no I wasn't worried about the money it's just $100. I was gonna ask how you're doing. I figured you'd get it to me when you could. I'm not living and dying for $100." 

It seems he misunderstood your intentions.

Or

Reply all to the thread where he said you were the winner saying that since he was in the accident, he can keep the winnings.  Super Alpha move right there.

I get it.  I light my cigar with a benny.  Heck a benny wouldn't of covered my lunch today.  But some people.🙄

I get it.  I light my cigar with a benny.  Heck a benny wouldn't of covered my lunch today.  But some people.🙄
I think you're confusing what I'm saying.  I'm saying in the grand scheme of things, $100 isn't that much.  It's like 1 to 2 hours or so of me sitting in my office, surfing the internet.  I'm not lighting my cigars with hundreds, but I'm also not going to worry about it too much.

Users who are viewing this thread