What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP content lacking this year? (1 Viewer)

TheCommish

Footballguy
Has anyone else been disappointed with the IDP content this season? With the podcasts, especially. Don't get me wrong ... the IDP podcasts are awesome, and filled with great information. It just seems to me that there were a lot more IDP podcasts in previous pre-seasons. I realize that IDP leagues are far out-numbered by team defense leagues, but I just haven't seen the info in this forum and in podcasts as in previous years.

Personally, I would like to see a separate daily e-mail devoted to IDP players. I would even pay a little extra for my annual subscription for this extra information. There is at least as much player movement on the defensive side of the ball as on the offensive side, but it can be tough to find topics discussing it.

I definitely agree. As far as this forum goes, I think that Jene himself has had less presence on here lately and in the past went out of his way to respond to a lot of posts/questions. Not a criticism, but I think that has contributed to this forum being like a ghost town and there being a lack of quick takes on situations (e.g. What to make of Aaron Williams in Buffalo)

I've been ok with the pods so far since things are only picking up now in terms of things to discuss, but hopefully it will get better.

I have been a little disappointed with the positional tier updates - seems like the content is just rehashed with very minor changes. Admittedly we'll know more about some situations once the games start, but it seems even the tier updates don't necessarily incorporate recent developments - for example, not that I'm obsessed with the buffalo SS situation, but after Williams took the job, searcy was still being listed ahead of him (and Williams not at all). I can't remember but I wouldn't be surprised if Shawn Williams is still in that fairly high upside tier, even though Iloka has the job for now....just things like that make you think not a lot of care goes into some of this stuff.

I am always in favor of as much IDP content as possible and would echo the sentiment that I'd pay a little extra to be an IDP subscriber.

I also get it's still a bit of a niche market.

Norton really mailed in his projections this year. So many incorrect players/teams/depth chart changes. It's embarrassing.

Count me among those who are marginally disappointed in the relative lack of IDP content. I was so encouraged by the superior, well-articulated insight and analysis dispensed via the IDP Roundtable podcast and expected to find much more in the way of literature on the IDP side of things once I finally subscribed this year. The podcast remains a stellar, satisfying listen, but I wish that there was more of a conscientious emphasis on IDP with more IDP-related articles and even an IDP Player Spotlight series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. The bread and butter of info leading to drafts/the start of the season is week 3 of the preason. Not a word on any changes noted from an IDP standpoint aside from Bramel's Tier changes on 8/31/13. It's a little frustrating when you pay for a site like this with basic expectations and not have those delivered. The 3 down linebacker thread updated hasn't been updated in awhile.

CataclysmicThunder said:
Count me among those who are marginally disappointed in the relative lack of IDP content. I was so encouraged by the superior, well-articulated insight and analysis dispensed via the IDP Roundtable podcast and expected to find much more in the way of literature on the IDP side of things once I finally subscribed this year. The podcast remains a stellar, satisfying listen, but I wish that there was more of a conscientious emphasis on IDP with more IDP-related articles and even an IDP Player Spotlight series.
There are multiple weekly IDP articles in the subscriber content after the season starts.

CataclysmicThunder said:
There are multiple weekly IDP articles in the subscriber content after the season starts.
Oh, I see. I recently subscribed, so I didn't know. Sounds great; I'm excited. Thanks.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. It's always helpful to be able to cite specific examples when I take concerns to the table when we plan our content, both offseason and inseason.

My apologies to those who feel I'm neglecting the forums lately. I'm aware that I haven't been around and in the threads as much as usual. I haven't had the time to contribute as much as in the past, but I could clearly be doing a better job of updating the every-down thread and podcast thread for those that rely on them to get updates. I'll work to get those updated today. In the meantime, remember that all our latest content is called out in the daily email, posted to the article and podcast tabs immediately on release or tweeted from @TheAudible on Twitter.

I appreciate that some may feel our IDP content has lessened this season, but we're around the same production as last year. I've done more extensive offseason RTD features and more frequent tier updates than in previous years and we did a couple of additional podcasts than last year, including starting the weekly show earlier in the preseason than ever.

We produced Spotlight and Faceoff features for IDPs in previous seasons. Without getting into much detail, they were extremely sparsely read in comparison to our other features, offensive and IDP. I'll bring them up again this offseason as an area of interest. I've offered my services to provide a short list of IDP blurbs in the daily email in the past, but it's not been a high priority based on subscriber surveys and I wouldn't have the time to devote each night any longer. I'll put that on my discussion list, too.

With respect to the tier updates, I'll just say that I've updated them once weekly after extensive thought, am resistant to making major changes in most cases though have deleted and added many players over the past month, am still drafting from my most recent updates (i.e. would still roster Shawn Williams over George Iloka, felt Searcy was a good depth risk as recently as 8-30, would not consider AWilliams highly enough as a matchup cloud play until he proves himself, etc.) and have always been willing to defend / modify anything in those features when asked about anything someone felt was off.

Please keep the discussion going here. I appreciate all the feedback. I'll make an effort to keep my forum threads more up to date and get back into the Forum threads more often.

CataclysmicThunder said:
To my knowledge, our inseason feature list (which includes weekly and forward projections, Norton's EOTG, Rudnicki's upgrades, my RTD, Borbely's buy low, Larkin's matchups, features from Magaw and Baker, Thomas' huge spreadsheet of matchup data, our weekly podcast and my Sunday AM notes) is still all part of the 2013 game plan.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. It's always helpful to be able to cite specific examples when I take concerns to the table when we plan our content, both offseason and inseason.

My apologies to those who feel I'm neglecting the forums lately. I'm aware that I haven't been around and in the threads as much as usual. I haven't had the time to contribute as much as in the past, but I could clearly be doing a better job of updating the every-down thread and podcast thread for those that rely on them to get updates. I'll work to get those updated today. In the meantime, remember that all our latest content is called out in the daily email, posted to the article and podcast tabs immediately on release or tweeted from @TheAudible on Twitter.

I appreciate that some may feel our IDP content has lessened this season, but we're around the same production as last year. I've done more extensive offseason RTD features and more frequent tier updates than in previous years and we did a couple of additional podcasts than last year, including starting the weekly show earlier in the preseason than ever.

We produced Spotlight and Faceoff features for IDPs in previous seasons. Without getting into much detail, they were extremely sparsely read in comparison to our other features, offensive and IDP. I'll bring them up again this offseason as an area of interest. I've offered my services to provide a short list of IDP blurbs in the daily email in the past, but it's not been a high priority based on subscriber surveys and I wouldn't have the time to devote each night any longer. I'll put that on my discussion list, too.

With respect to the tier updates, I'll just say that I've updated them once weekly after extensive thought, am resistant to making major changes in most cases though have deleted and added many players over the past month, am still drafting from my most recent updates (i.e. would still roster Shawn Williams over George Iloka, felt Searcy was a good depth risk as recently as 8-30, would not consider AWilliams highly enough as a matchup cloud play until he proves himself, etc.) and have always been willing to defend / modify anything in those features when asked about anything someone felt was off.

Please keep the discussion going here. I appreciate all the feedback. I'll make an effort to keep my forum threads more up to date and get back into the Forum threads more often.
Here are a couple of thoughts and suggestions from having watched the content evolve over the past few years:

(+) The IDP Perfect Draft was a great article. You've had previously had random comments about how to integrate IDP's with OFF in the past but this one really nailed it.

(+) I liked how you guys added the links to various articles to the Player Spotlight threads. Really helps gain insights on the players from various FBG sources as the offseason evolves into the preseason. The "Articles from the Web" addition also helps with outside perspectives.

(+) Tier discussions rule. Somehow, someway it would be great to eventually integrate these with the actual IDP projections, even if there are heavy qualifiers. Otherwise there is no way to quantify the difference (for example) between an LB3+ and a high-floor LB2 with minimal upside so you know how far to let guys fall in the draft. This is effectively what is going on with the IDP Perfect Draft article when you go after high-upside WR's when others are drafting lower tiered IDP's because ostensibly the WR's worth vis-a-vis IDP has been quantified through projections (hope that makes sense).

(-) It would be great if you guys could "close the loop" on certain hypotheses made in the offseason / preseason very soon after the 3rd preseason game is played. This is when most information should be in and therefore final conclusions made. It seemed the Tiers were updated in kind of a perfunctory manner without really incorporating preseason performances, especially by newcomers like Alonso, Ogletree, T. Mathieu, etc.. In addition, much was made of offseason scheme changes potentially affecting guys like Kendricks, D. Ware, Carter, DQ Jackson, etc. These were great insights to keep an eye out for but seemed very few conclusions or changes in rankings were made at the end of the preseason.

(-) I kind of liked the Faceoffs on certain guys you and Norton disagreed about. Last year's discussion of Cameron Wake was classic IMO.

thanks!

Thanks for the response Jene - absolutely understand not having time to be in the forums and wasn't implying you should be in here answering stuff, just an observation that it seems to me that might have played a part in this forum being a bit dead.

Fair enough on the tiers updates too - those specific players were just examples but if the text/content remains unchanged, even when a few players are shifted around, it still seems like it hasn't been updated, or at least your most recent thought process isn't apparent.

On a positive note however, I should have mentioned that I think the preseason notes/articles have been really useful.

The lack of subscriber interest in IDP content isn't surprising I guess but it's still kind of baffling. IDP adds so much to the fantasy experience that I can't really understand why all serious fantasy players wouldn't have IDP in their leagues. For more casual players I get it, but to me there's something incongruous about guys on the main board discussing the likes of Marlon Brown or Jordan Todman, or trading 2015 dynasty picks, and then drafting a def/st, which requires about as much thought or strategy as choosing kickers. To me, there is nothing more lame than standard leagues with def/st

(+) Tier discussions rule. Somehow, someway it would be great to eventually integrate these with the actual IDP projections, even if there are heavy qualifiers. Otherwise there is no way to quantify the difference (for example) between an LB3+ and a high-floor LB2 with minimal upside so you know how far to let guys fall in the draft. This is effectively what is going on with the IDP Perfect Draft article when you go after high-upside WR's when others are drafting lower tiered IDP's because ostensibly the WR's worth vis-a-vis IDP has been quantified through projections (hope that makes sense).

(-) It would be great if you guys could "close the loop" on certain hypotheses made in the offseason / preseason very soon after the 3rd preseason game is played. This is when most information should be in and therefore final conclusions made. It seemed the Tiers were updated in kind of a perfunctory manner without really incorporating preseason performances, especially by newcomers like Alonso, Ogletree, T. Mathieu, etc.. In addition, much was made of offseason scheme changes potentially affecting guys like Kendricks, D. Ware, Carter, DQ Jackson, etc. These were great insights to keep an eye out for but seemed very few conclusions or changes in rankings were made at the end of the preseason.
Fair enough on the tiers updates too - those specific players were just examples but if the text/content remains unchanged, even when a few players are shifted around, it still seems like it hasn't been updated, or at least your most recent thought process isn't apparent.
Excellent points. Thanks to both of you for fleshing out your thoughts.

I'd love to find a way to marry the tier thoughts with projections better. I've tried to add some thoughts in rankings comments, but it gets redundant and too time consuming to keep up with. I wonder if the answer is to pair the tiers with IDP data. Let me think on that concept more.

Definitely hear the call to update strategy and tier commentary more frequently. Made it a point to add that to the podcast agenda, but it really never made it to the print stuff until the perfect draft feature. Will do better with that next summer.

Personally the IDP side is why I pay for the subscription.

On another note, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I think most subscribers care quite a bit more about what Jene and Norton think on the IDP side than any of the other contributors.

Personally the IDP side is why I pay for the subscription.

On another note, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I think most subscribers care quite a bit more about what Jene and Norton think on the IDP side than any of the other contributors.
I concur! The offensive stuff is good here, but the IDP is the best. I much prefer Jene and Norton and often remove everyone else's rankings; then go hunting in the articles and podcasts for reasons they differ on certain players. Love the tiers, would be even better with more updated commentary, especially on movements or recent situations that clarified. Love Eyes of the Guru. Love the updates after preseason games. Love the podcasts, however wish they were 2 or 3 hours longer and covered every player I had questions on! just kidding, I know that is not feasable. :)

I use the site mainly for my IDP league, which is huge and must draft earlier than most leagues. I felt the idp coverage was better in the early going this year compared to a couple years ago, but would've welcomed more updates.

I'm not really voicing any displeasure. Just putting my thoughts on record in hopes FBG realizes there are lots of people counting on IDP coverage.

Personally I have been very satisfied also this year.

I understand the huge amount of work that goes into generating content such as EOTG and the tier articles. The really excellent bit about the tier articles - like the every down linebacker thread in past years if not this - is that it gets updated frequently. It means that it stays fresh and you can track a player moving up and down in function of what we see on the field. You never end up taking decision on the basis of an article that was written just at the start of training camp.

If I had a tablet or a decent smart phone I'd get the magazine as well for that very reason....

I also understand that FBG is a business rather than a public service and that most of the really good stuff generally ends up behind the pay wall. I subscribe for that reason. An example is the every down linebacker thread. This is quality information, but open source. Pretty much anyone can figure this out if you want to spend enough time and energy on it. The tier article takes that and draws conclusions from that information, from schemes and tendencies and from film study. Here we are paying for the use of the excellent faculties of the good doctor. Is it fair that he be compensated for his contributions? Obviously.

This is what I am most disappointed in. After Woodyard got moved to the middle to replace Irving, I wanted to see how the expert projected the season. This is what is still projected to this day. A guy likely to see very little time, a guy not even on the team, and a guy on IR. Not to mention Duke Ihenacho is not even in the projections.

Nate Irving DEN 16 61 29 0.0 1 1 0 2 124.25
Joe Mays DEN 16 39 15 0.0 1 1 0 2 80.75
Stewart Bradley DEN 16 17 6 0.0 0 0 0 0 30.00
ILB TOT PROJ 48 117 50 0 2 2 0 4 235

I wonder how long Dodds could get away with Chris Ivory listed still on the Saints, and Mike Goodson slotted to receive 250 carries.

Wondering when the projections are put/changed on the site each day. I know of a cb that is out that has projected stats and a olb that is a starter who has none at all.

I would love to see more content catered towards big play leagues. I am seeing more and more of these and most of my leagues are this format. I know EOTG and RTD mention guys who have more value in these leagues, but most of it is obvious (Clay Matthews, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, etc). There really isn't much talk of many breakout big play league performers. This year there was a lot of Justin Houston talk, especially from Jene and I love that sort of stuff. I don't want to sound like I hate the content, but most of it is geared towards tackle heavy leagues that I cannot use. I realize that is how the large majority of leagues are setup, so I am not asking for a lot, but maybe more than just a little nugget. An article dedicated to big play leagues (tiers and/or breakouts) would be awesome. Its tough to find news on some big play league guys who are otherwise overlooked on most fantasy sites. You can find next to no analysis of potential breakout big play league guys other than Justin Houston and Derrick Morgan this year.

That said, I love the content and everything you guys do. Since this topic came up, I figured I'd offer what I think would improve it.

Projections from Jene would be awesome too!

This is what I am most disappointed in. After Woodyard got moved to the middle to replace Irving, I wanted to see how the expert projected the season. This is what is still projected to this day. A guy likely to see very little time, a guy not even on the team, and a guy on IR. Not to mention Duke Ihenacho is not even in the projections.

Nate Irving DEN 16 61 29 0.0 1 1 0 2 124.25

Joe Mays DEN 16 39 15 0.0 1 1 0 2 80.75

Stewart Bradley DEN 16 17 6 0.0 0 0 0 0 30.00

ILB TOT PROJ 48 117 50 0 2 2 0 4 235

I wonder how long Dodds could get away with Chris Ivory listed still on the Saints, and Mike Goodson slotted to receive 250 carries.
I have MLB Woodyard at 85 solos, 45 assists and WLB Trevathan at 60 solos, 20 assists.

I also added Ihenacho a few weeks ago, but conservatively projected him for 40 solos, 12 assists as I wasn't sure he'd hold off Mike Adams all year.

From doing this for a few years now, I will say that it's easy to miss on a few players or situations so it's never a bad idea to give feedback when something seems way off. I'm sure John would like to hear from you if you see something like this again in the future.

You kept up very well with the changes even though the system teams and positions were off. :thumbup: But I'm so lazy I got tired of clicking on Rudnicki every time I changed team projections so I kind of gave up.

I hope you guys are reading EOTG this week - lots of good stuff in there, distilling a lot of confusing situations.

How about a listing of each team and the style of defense that the run? Make it like the depth charts always updated? If they run more, perhaps some splits on how many snaps with each?

If I'm really dreaming, have IDP players grouped and ranked by the style of defense they play in. What's the average of 3-4 vs 4-3 DEs? Which ones are the best?Are the usual trends of one style vs another working this year, i.e. are rookie corners worthwhile or a waste of time?

Looks like FBG is bringing it for in-season IDP but lack of preseason content really caused me headaches with planning for my drafts this year.

Users who are viewing this thread