What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Studs in Waiting? (1 Viewer)

Shock6822

Footballguy
I apologize if this is already posted somewhere...I've been playing FF for over a decade but I'm very new to IDP. I'm now familiar with top tier guys at each position, but who are the guys 'waiting in the wings' so to speak? I'm assuming there are supposed replacements/players stuck on the depth chart for guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, London Fletcher, etc, and while said guys might not be redraft worthy, I'm trying to help folks in dynasties out (such as myself) for 2013 and beyond. Any lists/advice appreciated. Thanks! :)

Welcome to the world of IDP. First off, my advice to new IDP owners is that make the Defensive scoring significant enough that they matter or else it tends to just be like having kickers.It is really hard to replace a Ray Lewis or London Fletcher, because you are not exactly sure if the coaching staff/front office is going to replace him with one guy or a combination of players (ie player for passing downs and one for running situations). This is why you hear he is a 3-down player a lot. The more you are on the field the better chance you can score more points. Also, keep in mind that good IDPs are not exactly on good defenses (in some cases they may not be good defensive players at all). A good example are average to below corners that play opposite good corners, they get points because the ball is thrown their way more so they have more tackles or pass defended.With all that said, here are some guys that might fit the mold you are talking about. Some of these guys are coming off injury so might be under valuesKelvin Sheppard, MLB, BillsPat Chung, S, PatsCarlos Dunlap, DE, BengalsDre Kirkpatrick, CB, BengalsJames-Michael Johnson, LB, BrownsStevenson Sylvester, LB, SteelersDerek Cox, CB, JaguarsNate Irving, LB, BroncosDonald Butler, LB, ChargersPerry Riley, LB, RedskinsJasper Brinkley, LB, VikesAkeem Dent, LB, FalconsBobby Wagner, LB, HawksThese list is by no means complete, but should be so good value guys to look for. Remember just because they start does not even mean they are getting 50% of the snaps so keep an eye on them.

I apologize if this is already posted somewhere...I've been playing FF for over a decade but I'm very new to IDP. I'm now familiar with top tier guys at each position, but who are the guys 'waiting in the wings' so to speak? I'm assuming there are supposed replacements/players stuck on the depth chart for guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, London Fletcher, etc, and while said guys might not be redraft worthy, I'm trying to help folks in dynasties out (such as myself) for 2013 and beyond. Any lists/advice appreciated. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
'bexdawg said:
Welcome to the world of IDP. First off, my advice to new IDP owners is that make the Defensive scoring significant enough that they matter or else it tends to just be like having kickers.It is really hard to replace a Ray Lewis or London Fletcher, because you are not exactly sure if the coaching staff/front office is going to replace him with one guy or a combination of players (ie player for passing downs and one for running situations). This is why you hear he is a 3-down player a lot. The more you are on the field the better chance you can score more points. Also, keep in mind that good IDPs are not exactly on good defenses (in some cases they may not be good defensive players at all). A good example are average to below corners that play opposite good corners, they get points because the ball is thrown their way more so they have more tackles or pass defended.With all that said, here are some guys that might fit the mold you are talking about. Some of these guys are coming off injury so might be under valuesKelvin Sheppard, MLB, BillsPat Chung, S, PatsCarlos Dunlap, DE, BengalsDre Kirkpatrick, CB, BengalsJames-Michael Johnson, LB, BrownsStevenson Sylvester, LB, SteelersDerek Cox, CB, JaguarsNate Irving, LB, BroncosDonald Butler, LB, ChargersPerry Riley, LB, RedskinsJasper Brinkley, LB, VikesAkeem Dent, LB, FalconsBobby Wagner, LB, HawksThese list is by no means complete, but should be so good value guys to look for. Remember just because they start does not even mean they are getting 50% of the snaps so keep an eye on them.

Intrigued by Sean Spence (R from Miami) for Steelers and Zach Brown for Titans. He is fast and claims other teams will suffer for calling him soft. Spence is a sleeper but they took him higher than Sylvester.

Last edited by a moderator:
would really like to see some non rookie idp studs in waiting.
I will second Bexdawg on several of the guys he mentioned. Off the top of my head here are a few I am watching real close this summer. Da'Norris Searcy (may get a shot at replacing George Wilson)Taylor Mays (as of now is the starting SS for the Bengals)Haruki Nakamura (has a strong shot at a starting job in Carolina)Nate Irving (Williams suspension could be all the opportunity he needs)Lawrence Jackson (Vanden Bosch is getting old and Jackson has done very well with limited opportunity in Detroit)Kavell Conner (not high on him as a player but could be in a great situation)Chris Prosinski (has a shot at the starting SS job in Jacksonville)Jasper Brinkley and Erin Henderson (one of these guys is going to be a 3 down LB)Jaiquan Jarrett (most talented safety on the Eagles roster)Robert Quinn (good rookie season, moves into the starting role)Matt Shaughnessy (my favorite DL sleeper last year before being injured, has a lot of potential)Dave Tollefson (well kept secret behind the studs in New York, played very well in limited action)Donald Butler (best 2 down LB in the game last year, best ILB on the Chargers roster. If he plays every down look out)Kamerion Wimbley (been a while since he last lined up at end but could be an excellent fit as a 3 down end)Perry Riley (Fletcher can't play forever... can he? I really like this guy)Best of luck to you

Do you really think tollefson gets a crack at a starting roll in OAK? they already have a lot of good talent on that line, not to mention adding wimbley?

Players I was targeting:

Patrick Robinson CB

Tracy Porter CB

Corey Webster CB

Stephan Nicholas LB

Jaqcuan Williams LB

Brodrick Bunkley DT

Roddrick Muckelroy LB

Jordan Babineaux SS

Do you really think tollefson gets a crack at a starting roll in OAK? they already have a lot of good talent on that line, not to mention adding wimbley?

Players I was targeting:

Patrick Robinson CB

Tracy Porter CB

Corey Webster CB

Stephan Nicholas LB

Jaqcuan Williams LB

Brodrick Bunkley DT

Roddrick Muckelroy LB

Jordan Babineaux SS
Wimbley is with the Titans now.

Some non-rookies without an immediate chance at 500 or more snaps this season that I have on priority watch lists as deeper / year +1 players include:

DE Cameron Jordan, Brandon Graham, Willie Young; LB Nate Irving, Akeem Dent, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Stevenson Sylvester; DB Chris Prosinski

Some non-rookies who may not be high on the radar of casual owners likely in line for large snap count increases this year include:

DE Robert Quinn; LB Stephen Nicholas, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Jasper Brinkley; DB Taylor Mays, DB Tom Zbikowski, possibly DB Jaiquawn Jarrett, DB Tyrell Johnson, DB Quinton Carter

The only players that really excite me are Graham and Irving, and Quinn and Nicholas but the others will definitely have my attention in camp.

I think this could be a breakout year for Derrick Morgan DE Titans as one guy not mentioned

KJ Wright Seattle maybe. But not one I am looking at

Quinton Carter Den to replace Dawkins

In sack heavy, Acho or Schofield in Arizona could be nice adds

Everson Griffin MInny DE to maybe play opposite of Allen

Some non-rookies without an immediate chance at 500 or more snaps this season that I have on priority watch lists as deeper / year +1 players include:

DE Cameron Jordan, Brandon Graham, Willie Young; LB Nate Irving, Akeem Dent, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Stevenson Sylvester; DB Chris Prosinski
So Willie Young the guy to target in a deep dynasty league over Lawrence Jackson? I need all of the help I can get at DE, and he's one of the few players mentioned on this thread that isn't already rostered.

I think this could be a breakout year for Derrick Morgan DE Titans as one guy not mentioned

KJ Wright Seattle maybe. But not one I am looking at

Quinton Carter Den to replace Dawkins

In sack heavy, Acho or Schofield in Arizona could be nice adds

Everson Griffin MInny DE to maybe play opposite of Allen
robison very quietly had a solid season with 8 sacks. i don't know that he's out the door yet.

Some non-rookies without an immediate chance at 500 or more snaps this season that I have on priority watch lists as deeper / year +1 players include:DE Cameron Jordan, Brandon Graham, Willie Young; LB Nate Irving, Akeem Dent, Bruce Carter, Malcolm Smith, Stevenson Sylvester; DB Chris ProsinskiSome non-rookies who may not be high on the radar of casual owners likely in line for large snap count increases this year include:DE Robert Quinn; LB Stephen Nicholas, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Jasper Brinkley; DB Taylor Mays, DB Tom Zbikowski, possibly DB Jaiquawn Jarrett, DB Tyrell Johnson, DB Quinton CarterThe only players that really excite me are Graham and Irving, and Quinn and Nicholas but the others will definitely have my attention in camp.
Do you like Nicholas over Dent, just because you expect Dent to come off the field on 3rd down, or is there another reason?

Another interesting contestant here is Sylvester, a fifth-round pick in 2010 who looks most like the prototype inside linebacker, and who has done some prototypical things in terms of what the position long has required.“Stevenson has made his living doing a great job in the special teams aspect, and I always found that guys who can excel in that area generally can transfer it over to scrimmage play,” said LeBeau. “You’re moving in space, locating the ball, getting through blockers and getting the ball carrier on the ground. These are exactly the things you have to do as defensive player. I’m usually comforted by a defender who is doing well on special teams. Sylvester has done that. He played some for us, not a whole lot of game experience, but in the preseason when he went out there he did a very fine, capable job. He’s going to have to step up and give us depth there. I’m very confident that he will.”And as for Spence, right now he’ll need to follow the path Sylvester initially used to earn a roster spot, because, as Butler already said, “He’s not going to start at ‘mack’ linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isn’t going to happen. He’s going to help us on special teams.”
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-lot-has-changed-at-ILB/20e9bccb-da50-4dae-8573-14fb5db58892

Do you like Nicholas over Dent, just because you expect Dent to come off the field on 3rd down, or is there another reason?
Mostly because of the likely snap counts. But I think Nicholas is an underrated talent and I'm not certain Dent will thrive at MLB.

You shouldnt forget about Colin McCarthy, I picked him up in all leagues when no one was expecting him to do much last year. :football:

Mostly because of the likely snap counts. But I think Nicholas is an underrated talent and I'm not certain Dent will thrive at MLB.
Nicholas was one of the few mentioned here that was available and I picked him up. May not pan out but he has had good games and I'm not sold on Dent there.

Users who are viewing this thread