What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Jeff Fisher replaces Parcells in Dallas.... (1 Viewer)

Let's assume Floyd Reese gets to stay and Fisher gets the boot.

Initial thought might be Redskins DC Gregg Williams as he was very popular here when he was with the Titans during their recent glory years of the late 90's early 00's. However, I think he might be somehow locked up by the Skins through some kind of "guarantee" that he would replace Gibbs when he retires.

I think everyone would agree that the HC position in Washington > the HC position in Tennessee so even if Williams is considered, he might remove himself from contention to keep that "guarantee".

So.....who might be next?

I'm at a loss.

:confused:

Let's assume Floyd Reese gets to stay and Fisher gets the boot.

Initial thought might be Redskins DC Gregg Williams as he was very popular here when he was with the Titans during their recent glory years of the late 90's early 00's. However, I think he might be somehow locked up by the Skins through some kind of "guarantee" that he would replace Gibbs when he retires.

I think everyone would agree that the HC position in Washington > the HC position in Tennessee so even if Williams is considered, he might remove himself from contention to keep that "guarantee".

So.....who might be next?

I'm at a loss.

:confused:
You've got a team whose front office consistently throws away draft picks like candy at a fourth of july parade and overpays for name players who can't actually play well, and has an impatient owner who has shown a tendency to meddle with every coach who wasn't already in Canton. Why is that better than a team with a shortage of current overall talent, but which has most of its draft picks and should have a break in cap space in a year or two. (Although I guess you did assume Reese was still there. It would probably be even more attractive if they completely cleaned house)

Just all so much speculation.

At least you should deal with coaches on the hot seat.

Just a word to the wise - Parcells isn't going anywhere. From what I hear he actually is finally having some fun again and wants to stay AT LEAST another season (assuming his health remains intact or he doesn't win it all this year). Don't underestimate that team - if Parcells likes their chances, so do I.

Cower is another story all together. It seems he may be tired of coaching for now and feels he may need a change of scenery, or at the very least a break from football. He has been working hard (16 hours a day) for pretty much 2 years straight. That would wear on anyone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Fisher sit out a year or two and wait for a team of his choosing. He is in the drivers seat as far as where he would like to go.

Wisehunt probably is the Steelers coach next season, but nothing is written in stone yet.

As far as Tennessee's HC job - that is anyone's guess. Managment has been pretty scetchy in Nashville the past few years. You have to wonder what their commitment will be and who would be willing to fill that role knowing that the commitment to win won't neccessarily be all there. My guess is Ron Rivera, the Bears D coach. He is overdue for a shot and would likely jump at the opportunity.

Just my 2 cents -

By Reese's own admission, last year was the salary-purge year and this year is the "in between" year. The team is young and raw but undeniably talented. I am seeing less and less of a reason for one of them to have to go.

Colin Dowling said:
By Reese's own admission, last year was the salary-purge year and this year is the "in between" year. The team is young and raw but undeniably talented. I am seeing less and less of a reason for one of them to have to go.
I see less of a reason for Fisher to go...several reasons for Reese to be gone though.Pacman, Reynaldo Hill, David Givens....and so on. His drafts have been terrible...his free agent moves about as bad...

Colin Dowling said:
I see less of a reason for Fisher to go...several reasons for Reese to be gone though.Pacman, Reynaldo Hill, David Givens....and so on. His drafts have been terrible...his free agent moves about as bad...
Agreed.

The Titans need a new GM. Period. That team will go nowhere until they have someone in place making sound decisions. First off, they and the Bengals need to start factoring in character when drafting. Both teams have gotten embarassing in this area. I'd feel much more confident about this team's future with a quality GM / front office.

As for Fisher, Arizona might be a good place for him to go although with the spectacualr WR's they have I'm not sure he'd run the right type of offense for the team. He's always been a grind it out, Steelers type of offense guy. The reason I say Arizona is they have some pieces in place, a new stadium, and a definite need for a new direction. However, I'm not so sure the GM / management would be much better. The owners, the Bidwells, have historically been the lowlifes of the NFL but maybe they'd like to turn that around now with a new stadium and what was a more hopeful competitive team situation at the beginning of the year. I'm sure Fisher could contribute a little with direction upstairs. I've read several places Fisher would be the top free agent on the market next year player or coach if he were avaliable.

In this era of coaches changing teams often, I think the Titans realize they have a gem. If he is very easy going about the GM and any other changes(scouting, personnel, usually a bunch when GM leaves) he could very well stay. I think people are quick to assume he's gone as if he's the norm. We're not talking about some shlub that failed to win the Supe with a great team. We're talking about someone that failed to win alot of games with a team that sorely lacking at certain spots and in an obvious transition. No Titan exec though they'd lose McNair, George, Hopkins, Wychek, and Matthews and not lose some "team spirit" and leadership. They're not ignorant. I'm sure they wanted a smoother transition but this was coming. Those gems are (vocally)replaced with prized defenders like Pacman and Haynesworth and that doesn't cut it. Young seems fine and there's a building block but there's a whole transition here and the Titans needs to be aware of that with their personnel moves. Character must become a high priority IMO and bringing those retired vets to camp to "rub off" on the younger guys can't hurt. Parcells and many others parade their vets around at camp.

When I read a pacman BS article or saw Haynesworth's kick I can't help but think Fisher thought "oh cmon WTF". I mean can you imagine being him and seeing your players late for this or that, and kicking Gurode. He's no babysitter, he's a coach.

They have a zillion TEs that are talented and would make most NFL teams if not start. At RB they have 3 that might start elsewhere. At WR they had 3 rooks last year that were "the future" and were transitionning away from Mason. Signing Givens severely hinderred that development. Wade as anywhere from 2nd to 5th WR (if Givens wasn't around)was a fine WW pickup as he's produced at times. Payton was no thoroughbred but he's a hard working type with a good attitude that is just fine for your 3rd RB and he was cheap. They didn't need Henry or White, didn't need Givens. TEs are value that could have been traded away. When White or those 3 WRs have to be relied upon, they won't have the necessary experience to be successful, just the talent. Brandon Jones is just fine, see him play and tell me they needed Givens. They have such bigger problems than stocking offensive skill position players.

Users who are viewing this thread