What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the Salary Cap Goes Away (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
Just curious in general about what FBGers will do. Will people say they will not watch the NFL and will they actually follow through? Will you drop your NFL package?

Back in 2001, I decided I was done with MLB. I will let it be on my television, will not let it be on my radio and when the MLB segments come up on SportsCenter, I change the channel. I just need to get one of those little boxes now.

I will say if there is no cap in 2007, I put my chances of keeping the NFL ticket at 50\50.

I will still love the game and watch it, but I will be saddened that $ will be the biggest factor in determining championships over the current system of talent evaluation and coaching.

Just curious in general about what FBGers will do.  Will people say they will not watch the NFL and will they actually follow through?  Will you drop your NFL package?

Back in 2001, I decided I was done with MLB.  I will let it be on my television, will not let it be on my radio and when the MLB segments come up on SportsCenter, I change the channel.  I just need to get one of those little boxes now.

I will say if there is no cap in 2007, I put my chances of keeping the NFL ticket at 50\50.
I don't think the damage will be immediate (though it will be quick), but if the league becomes Washington, NYG, NYJ, NE, Den, Chicago, Seattle....and everybody else, you can be sure I'll lose interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi BO,Why?

You would be that turned off if they choose to run their business without a cap?

J

I already posted my thoughts in another thread.

I won't watch an uncapped NFL. Not after seeing how bad MLB is. It will kill me and it's possible I'll go back on my word, but I fully intend to boycott the NFL if they have a cap.

Hi BO,Why?

You would be that turned off if they choose to run their business without a cap?

J
Not that I would be turned off, but I think I would have better things to do with my time. Without the parity, you could potentially pencil in the strong teams year in and year out and just tune in for the playoffs.

I won't watch an uncapped NFL. Not after seeing how bad MLB is. It will kill me and it's possible I'll go back on my word, but I fully intend to boycott the NFL if they have a cap.
That makes no sense to me at all. I am very pro cap, but why would you stop watching? I could not stop watching the NFL just because I thought they might be heading down a bad path. At least wait till they get there to stop!

Just curious in general about what FBGers will do. Will people say they will not watch the NFL and will they actually follow through? Will you drop your NFL package?

Back in 2001, I decided I was done with MLB. I will let it be on my television, will not let it be on my radio and when the MLB segments come up on SportsCenter, I change the channel. I just need to get one of those little boxes now.

It comes down to what happens. If it returns to the select few always at top and the Have nots being bottom feeder I'll still watch The Vikings(if they survive) but my interest will certainly waiver as a whole.

Hi BO,Why?

J
Not that I would be turned off, but I think I would have better things to do with my time. Without the parity, you could potentially pencil in the strong teams year in and year out and just tune in for the playoffs.
Sure, that could happen. But why stop watching right away in anticipation of that happening?

Hi BO,Why?

J
Sure, that could happen. But why stop watching right away in anticipation of that happening?
I didn't say I would stop watching, I said I would not renew my NFL Package.

Hi BO,Why?

J
I'd still wait till i actually SEE the impact. But that is just me. I'll watch my games and keep the ticket until it stops entertaining me.

After losing my previously fervent interest in baseball (too many easy taters) and basketball (no intensity because of a brutal season and guaranteed contracts), football is all I have left. I'll still watch it because it'll still be the best professional sport by far. But it'll be far less enjoyable if the same teams are winning all the time.

I've been a football guy since before there was a Footballguys.

Hi BO,Why?

J
I'd still wait till i actually SEE the impact. But that is just me. I'll watch my games and keep the ticket until it stops entertaining me.
That is why I put it at 50\50. Maybe the impact is marginal, maybe it is not. But if the league goes to the 'great team' (no cap with free agency AKA MLB) format over parity, then there is no reason to tune in until the playoffs.

That is why I put it at 50\50. Maybe the impact is marginal, maybe it is not. But if the league goes to the 'great team' (no cap with free agency AKA MLB) format over parity, then there is no reason to tune in until the playoffs.
Fair enough!

That makes no sense to me at all. I am very pro cap, but why would you stop watching? I could not stop watching the NFL just because I thought they might be heading down a bad path. At least wait till they get there to stop!
The problem is that by the time it gets there, it will be too late to ever go back. There will NEVER be a cap in baseball because the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers will never ALLOW it to happen. The same thing would happen in the NFL. I love football, but I would turn my energy to college and high school football. I will not allow the NFL to derive revenue from me if they are going to create a league that mirrors the NBA and MLB. If Daniel Snyder wants to buy his championships, he's not going to do it with money from my pockets.

I would drop NFL Ticket and likely my FF leagues. I would still catch the Chargers games when televised though. I stopped watching MLB about 8 years ago because the league lost all sense of competition. It might have lost it before that, but that's when I realized it just wasn't fun anymore and I started watching more football.

I think everyone is over-reacting to the prospect of an un-capped NFL. If/when the union de-certifies, the owners are free to institute rules that allow them to run the league. However, the players will have the right to sue based on anti-trust laws.

Do you really think the NFL owners will all vote for a system that allows only a handful of teams to win every year? If so, then they really are MLB in disguise. Also, with 80% of revenues currently shared (that's a number I have heard), the NFL is guaranteed some level of parity.

I suspect the owners will institute rules similar to what is in place now. But the players will get closer to 56.2% of revenues. If the owners don't take too much away from the players and give them money, they probably won't want to sue.

To answer the original question, I would still watch. And it will probably be great.

Do you really think the NFL owners will all vote for a system that allows only a handful of teams to win every year? If so, then they really are MLB in disguise. Also, with 80% of revenues currently shared (that's a number I have heard), the NFL is guaranteed some level of parity.

I suspect the owners will institute rules similar to what is in place now. But the players will get closer to 56.2% of revenues. If the owners don't take too much away from the players and give them money, they probably won't want to sue.

To answer the original question, I would still watch. And it will probably be great.
The first bolded comment is very note-worthy. The second bolded comment is ridiculous, the NFLPA is dead set on 60% and no less. And if they don't budge, they run the risk of banishing the salary cap.

I think everyone is over-reacting to the prospect of an un-capped NFL. If/when the union de-certifies, the owners are free to institute rules that allow them to run the league. However, the players will have the right to sue based on anti-trust laws.

I think the NFL owners would stick to the current rules regarding revenue sharing. But it would be illegal for them to institute a salary cap without the agreement of the NFLPA. Any informal agreement between teams would be an anti-trust violation and they would get killed in the courts. So teams with a lot of local, unshared revenue like the Redskins and Cowboys, would have the ability to spend a lot more money on players than teams like the Saints and Cardinals who do not have that local revenue streams.

I followed the NFL for decades before there was a cap. I enjoyed the league in the 60's, the 70's, and the 80's prior to the cap. It was only in the early 90's when Jerry Jones and the DeBartolo's entered the league that the uncapped version became unwatchable. Given this, I would probably watch for a time. I suspect, however, that in very short order Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and a few others would wreck the balance of the league to the point where it would become unwatchable.

I am very willing to boycot a product I do not appreciate. I have done so since about 1987 with MLB and about 1995 with the NBA. I would do so with football as well.

Most FF players appreciate evaluating talent on a fair and level playing field. We tend to be fairly knowledgable and would soon find our hobby, as well as the underlying product upon which we base it, to be devoid of real interest. I'd move on.

I followed the NFL for decades before there was a cap. I enjoyed the league in the 60's, the 70's, and the 80's prior to the cap. It was only in the early 90's when Jerry Jones and the DeBartolo's entered the league that the uncapped version became unwatchable. Given this, I would probably watch for a time. I suspect, however, that in very short order Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and a few others would wreck the balance of the league to the point where it would become unwatchable.
Prior to the Cap or prior to Free Agency?

I will quit buying NFL merchandise.

I wll probably keep watching, but I won't give the league a penny.

BlueOnion,

You're a Redskins fan, right? What do you think of their Super Bowl XXII championship? It was accomplished in part on the strength of the Scabskins 4-0 record.

If you can swallow that, then you should be able to handle an uncapped NFL and still enjoy it.

BlueOnion,

You're a Redskins fan, right? What do you think of their Super Bowl XXII championship? It was accomplished in part on the strength of the Scabskins 4-0 record.

If you can swallow that, then you should be able to handle an uncapped NFL and still enjoy it.
I despise the Redskins and they actually pummeled my Vikings that year 21-7. GB Ted Brown and his lone touchdown in the 4th quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread