What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm bored with my hobbies, what are some of yours? (3 Viewers)

Dentist said:
i read a ton.. .it's just that it's almost all stuff for work or the stock market.   I haven't read fiction that's not a comic book in years.
Read "Bogleheads," implement the simplified investment strategy, sleep better, beat the market, stop stressing about the daily flunctuations in the stock market, and pursue your hobbies.

TobiasFunke said:
What about cooking?  It's the rare hobby that can actually save money.  Pairs well with some other other hobbies the OP listed or that others have suggested, too.  Fitness, fishing, gardening, watching sports, smoking weed- all of them can go hand in hand with cooking.
This is probably my biggest hobby, come to think of it. It's how I unwind, and you know, we gotta eat anyway. But it sounds like our thrifty Dentist is no more, so a hobby that saves money probably wouldn't interest him as much as it used to.

One option I haven't seen mentioned is guns and shooting. 

From the sound of it, I could see it being a good fit. It doesn't have to take up too much time, and really, it can be just a stress relief for an hour here and there kind of thing.

moleculo said:
I'm into brewing my own beer.  plenty of rabbit holes you can nerd out on - ingredients, micro-biology, equipment, processes, etc.

I'm also considering taking up fly fishing, mountain biking, and hiking.
:hifive:  on the beer thing. Not so much the rest ;)  

I do enjoy hiking though I rarely get out there

Jaysus said:
my favorite hobby is sitting or maybe drinking.  

ETA: Sitting and drinking is the best!
Brewing your own beer/wine/booze will save you a lot of shopping!

TobiasFunke said:
What about cooking?  It's the rare hobby that can actually save money.  Pairs well with some other other hobbies the OP listed or that others have suggested, too.  Fitness, fishing, gardening, watching sports, smoking weed- all of them can go hand in hand with cooking.
:hifive:

Honestly realized I don't really have a hobby.  I basically just work and spend what free time I have with my family hanging out and doing family stuff.  I lift weights in the morning a few times a week, but that's not a hobby, or even something I enjoy all that much, just something I kind of have to do.  I used to play guitar a lot, but haven't really had a ton of passion for it in years; my 7 year old wants to learn, so maybe giving her lessons will reignite my interest in it.  I have an old restored 1979 truck that's kind of fun, but I don't do a ton with it, other than go for a cruise with it on the weekends here or there and smoke a cigar.  Not really a "hobby."

But really, I read this board and see so many people have all sorts of interesting hobbies and things that they love to do.  I just like to hang out with my family and sit in my yard and drink and have a smoke.  Wish I had something more interesting. 

Honestly realized I don't really have a hobby.  I basically just work and spend what free time I have with my family hanging out and doing family stuff.  I lift weights in the morning a few times a week, but that's not a hobby, or even something I enjoy all that much, just something I kind of have to do.  I used to play guitar a lot, but haven't really had a ton of passion for it in years; my 7 year old wants to learn, so maybe giving her lessons will reignite my interest in it.  I have an old restored 1979 truck that's kind of fun, but I don't do a ton with it, other than go for a cruise with it on the weekends here or there and smoke a cigar.  Not really a "hobby."

But really, I read this board and see so many people have all sorts of interesting hobbies and things that they love to do.  I just like to hang out with my family and sit in my yard and drink and have a smoke.  Wish I had something more interesting. 
Find something active you can do with your kid(s); you'll enjoy the exercise more and it may keep you away from drinking, smoking and ridiculous crash diets.

i would love to fix up jalapys but i do not have a garage to do it in and that is not going to happen so it just sort of remains a pipe dream i guess take that to the bank brohans 

you do spend a lot of time eating potatoes i guess so thats a hobby boom another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank bromigo

I started a woodworking thread, and that is a pretty good hobby.  It can get expensive, but it doesn't have to.  

Even you don't want to go full building and making stuff, you can just restore old furniture and resell it, or donate it, or whatever you want to do.  

I bought a damaged $700 dresser for $17 and fixed it up.  Put another $15 into fixing it, and now have a nice dresser in my son's room on the cheap.  Could probably sell for a couple hundred if I wanted to (I do) but my wife won't let me.  :)  

If that's what you like to do, then keep doing it.  Time with your kids will be gone before you know it, so make the most of your time with them by enjoying your time with them (speaking as someone who can see the empty nest coming in a little over 2 years).

I put hobbies into categories based on accessibility and choose a couple from each category. These are my current hobbies:

Outdoor: Golf, Cycling, Racquetball - weather, time and scheduling dictate these

Indoor: Guitar, Building/repairing golf clubs, working on cars, VR gaming - these hobbies are in my home and need no preparation. If free time pops up, I can just pick up the guitar and kill an hour or two - no need to have a plan or leave the house. Can do any of these after work on weeknights. I even built a golf simulator in my house.

My friend's favorite hobby is spear fishing, but he has to coordinate his excursions with others, commit all day to it and hope the weather is good. While it's fun, he can only do it a handful of times a year.

playing or listening?    I signed up for youtube premium recently that comes with youtube music and got back into music after being mostly into podcasts for the last 3 years.. and that's been good for me.. .but i find myself just listening to stuff that i did in my 20's and early 30's..  not connecting with as much of the new...  damn that makes me feel old.
something I got into recently is high-end / vintage audio equipment, and vinyl records. Not "sounds good enough" sound bars or sonos or stuff like that, but restored gear from the 70's and 80's. Marantz / Denon / large ADS Speakers, etc. Things that when you listen to them, you just stop and take notice at how good it all sounds. Used record stores are fun.

Another hobby of mine is movies. Especially pre-1980 stuff.

When I have those real bad hot farts that are deep from the darkest cavity.  I like to get on a escalator or in front of a large crowd and let the fumes loose. Works best if there’s some kids. Sit back and laugh at the comments   

something I got into recently is high-end / vintage audio equipment, and vinyl records. Not "sounds good enough" sound bars or sonos or stuff like that, but restored gear from the 70's and 80's. Marantz / Denon / large ADS Speakers, etc. Things that when you listen to them, you just stop and take notice at how good it all sounds. Used record stores are fun.

Another hobby of mine is movies. Especially pre-1980 stuff.
how do you feel about early 70s Bose 901s?  

Not a ton of time even with an empty nest. Mostly golf. Belong to a club and here in So Cal so can play year round. Play 6 times a month or so. Put on annual 5 day golf tourney for 24 guys. Takes lots of time to pull that off. Workout at the gym. Go to lots of live acts, concerts, theater, etc. Travel when I can. Fantasy Football. Will do more traveling, deeper learning of cooking, yoga etc when retired in 5 years. First grandkid coming so will be busy there

Sports betting? Daily fantasy sports? Go to yard sales on the weekend and resale items? Offer fantasy football advice online for a fee? Professional dog walker? Giggolo?

Dentist said:
#metoo   which is why my fitness level blows and i need something different.
You’ve got the right idea. All these passive hobbies may be fun, but they’re not improving your health. Long term quality of life is much more a function of the latter.

Judge Smails said:
Not a ton of time even with an empty nest. Mostly golf. Belong to a club and here in So Cal so can play year round. Play 6 times a month or so. Put on annual 5 day golf tourney for 24 guys. Takes lots of time to pull that off. Workout at the gym. Go to lots of live acts, concerts, theater, etc. Travel when I can. Fantasy Football. Will do more traveling, deeper learning of cooking, yoga etc when retired in 5 years. First grandkid coming so will be busy there
I miss golfing a LOT.. Back in my 20's I use to golf 2 or 3 times a week and hit the driving range at least 2 times a week.. In a normal week I was at a golf course 6 days a week. At one point had a Handicap average of 5.

Then I had a back injury which required a full fusion to my tail bone.. Asked my surgeon if I could golf after the surgery and he said "Sure, but we'll see you in a few years to repair your back again as the other discs will need to work harder" :(  

I miss golfing a LOT.. Back in my 20's I use to golf 2 or 3 times a week and hit the driving range at least 2 times a week.. In a normal week I was at a golf course 6 days a week. At one point had a Handicap average of 5.

Then I had a back injury which required a full fusion to my tail bone.. Asked my surgeon if I could golf after the surgery and he said "Sure, but we'll see you in a few years to repair your back again as the other discs will need to work harder" :(  
Was the injury b/c of golf or were there other factors?

Binky The Doormat said:
how do you feel about early 70s Bose 901s?  
Iconic speaker. Not for everyone, but they definitely brought something to the party, and probably forced other manufacturers to think a little differently. If I had room / another setup, I wouldn't mind seeking some out. Bose used to make quality stuff - today, they specialize in that deep, somewhat muffled sound that makes a small speaker sound "big". I can't blame them, as that's where the mainstream $$ is (and Sonos/etc took note). 

Was the injury b/c of golf or were there other factors?
Degenerative Disc Disease, which for normal people wouldn't fully effect you until you are older.. For me the surgery was at 27... it was sped up due to the work I was doing at the time..
I was an IT Field Service rep fixing and delivering Computers, Printers and those old 20"+ CRT Monitors.

You try lifting one of those old CRT's out of a trunk or back seat of a car without lifting "incorrectly".. 
Since the final breaking point happened at work I was lucky enough to get all of the surgery( 12 hour surgery + 2 weeks in the hospital), plus some "pain and suffering" payment.

Some people miss drinking, others smoking.. I miss Golf :kicksrock:  

Degenerative Disc Disease, which for normal people wouldn't fully effect you until you are older.. For me the surgery was at 27... it was sped up due to the work I was doing at the time..
I was an IT Field Service rep fixing and delivering Computers, Printers and those old 20"+ CRT Monitors.

You try lifting one of those old CRT's out of a trunk or back seat of a car without lifting "incorrectly".. 
Since the final breaking point happened at work I was lucky enough to get all of the surgery( 12 hour surgery + 2 weeks in the hospital), plus some "pain and suffering" payment.

Some people miss drinking, others smoking.. I miss Golf :kicksrock:  
You must have been pretty far along in your disc deterioration at that point.   I've lifted plenty of stupid stuff doing home improvement.   Had to get a couple of injections last year at age 41 b/c of a rupture that resulted from trying to lift the garage door with the springs detached; those mothers are heavy.   I always wondered the lifespan of my golf career considering  the state of my back.   According to the neurosurgeon, the mri wasn't pretty.   Been doing a lot of core work since then and focusing on my posture hoping it will slow the regression but who knows if that will matter much.   

IMO:

• Biking - get to know your city by riding to...
  • Beering - ...I'd explore every watering hole in KC, and...
  • Writing - ....then write about your city and beering. Maybe even do a blog about KC that people would start to talk about.

Question: Where does one go to sell a print? I've dabbled in photography for a few years and have some great landscapes from some great vacations. I doubt anything will come of it, but do you know of an avenue to attempt this? 
I have a website with portfolios of images, but I've also had great luck with hanging prints for sale in some of the bars and restaurants I frequent. The owners seem to like it because it's free art and they're supporting local artists, and the patrons seem to like it because the images change every month or two.

IMO:

• Biking - get to know your city by riding to...
  • Beering - ...I'd explore every watering hole in KC, and...
  • Writing - ....then write about your city and beering. Maybe even do a blog about KC that people would start to talk about.
Biking to beering is a great past time. Biking makes the beer taste much better.

To be fair I haven't really posted much about it... but I have significantly loosened the purse strings in the last 3 years.  Built a home, bought 2 new cars, have taken multiple trips to turks and caicos with my family over the past couple years.   Don't worry though, i didn't borrow anything for any of the purchases
Atta boy.

Spring/Summer:

Family travel

Kayaking

Hiking

Drinking beer on the deck with the neighbors

Fall/Winter:

Browns games (with neighbors - we get together at each others houses or go to the games)

Trivia (I know it sounds lame but its a good way to get together with neighbors in the winter)

Game nights (same as above)

Users who are viewing this thread