What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm never using AirBnb again! Think you have a booking? Guess again. (1 Viewer)

Bogus "service" and "cleaning" fees that add hundreds to the listed price, I've seen places listed for $200 that end up about $800 once you actually click through to booking.

Customer "service" of a middle man unable to rectify problems, answer questions, or assist in making the situation right or helping with alternatives.

Last minute cancelation possible with no recompense. The "host" might not even be legally allowed to rent out the location.

No one to hold accountable. No real effort to fix any problems. You don't like it? Here's a couple of hundred bucks credit, literally in hopes that you "have better luck next time."

... So how is this preferable to a Marriott or Days Inn? Even a Motel 6 if there's a problem they make it right.
Service fees is the price AirBNB charges so they make money. People I know that rent out do not make any money off the cleaning fee - that is what they pay their cleaner. Nothing bogus about either of them, nor do you have to click through the booking to see either of those charges - they are right there on the first page when you click on a property.

And it has been pointed out, there aren't Motel 6's or Days Inns, or whatever in remote beautiful parts of this country. If you want to stay alongside a highway in a grubby Motel 6 go for it.
Cleaning fees are usually higher than what is paid to the cleaners . We added like 20 percent extra for supplies like soap, shampoo, etc. And added a little more to cover gas to and from each of the three we use to run. Some of the cleaning fees that are super high that I see nowadays are clearly extra profit.
same here. had a condo in HI (too soon?) :lmao: but i never listed with airbnb. i just didn't like them. i knew i was limiting my exposure, but something about them made me uncomfortable. :shrug:
We listed with abb and vrbo. There was a company that had software that automatically set our prices on both based on market demand for that particular day.

I could edit those prices if I wanted to, but it was a great service because we knew we weren't pricing too high or low. Costs was one percent of revenue per month.

I never had a problem with abb customer service as owner or user.

As for op issue, it makes no sense to me as an operator to cancel someone for a few hundred extra dollars when you could lose your rating as a superhost and or penalized.
Never book an abb without using a superhost. Those are the owners that never cause problems. First item I filter when looking for a place.

Last edited:
Bogus "service" and "cleaning" fees that add hundreds to the listed price, I've seen places listed for $200 that end up about $800 once you actually click through to booking.

Customer "service" of a middle man unable to rectify problems, answer questions, or assist in making the situation right or helping with alternatives.

Last minute cancelation possible with no recompense. The "host" might not even be legally allowed to rent out the location.

No one to hold accountable. No real effort to fix any problems. You don't like it? Here's a couple of hundred bucks credit, literally in hopes that you "have better luck next time."

... So how is this preferable to a Marriott or Days Inn? Even a Motel 6 if there's a problem they make it right.
Service fees is the price AirBNB charges so they make money. People I know that rent out do not make any money off the cleaning fee - that is what they pay their cleaner. Nothing bogus about either of them, nor do you have to click through the booking to see either of those charges - they are right there on the first page when you click on a property.

And it has been pointed out, there aren't Motel 6's or Days Inns, or whatever in remote beautiful parts of this country. If you want to stay alongside a highway in a grubby Motel 6 go for it.
Cleaning fees are usually higher than what is paid to the cleaners . We added like 20 percent extra for supplies like soap, shampoo, etc. And added a little more to cover gas to and from each of the three we use to run. Some of the cleaning fees that are super high that I see nowadays are clearly extra profit.
same here. had a condo in HI (too soon?) :lmao: but i never listed with airbnb. i just didn't like them. i knew i was limiting my exposure, but something about them made me uncomfortable. :shrug:
We listed with abb and vrbo. There was a company that had software that automatically set or prices on both based on market demand for that particular day.

I could edit those prices if I wanted to, but it was a great service because we knew we weren't pricing too high or low. Costs was one percent of revenue per month.

As for op issue, it makes no sense to me as an operator to cancel someone for a few hundred extra dollars when you could lose your rating as a superhost and or penalized.
Never book an abb without using a superhost. Those are the owners that never cause problems. First item I filter when looking for a place.
Yeah, I'd be curious to see the listing. Seems foolish to jeopardize your rating. Your rep is everything on those platforms with so many options to choose from.

It’s really amazing how much customer service has slid - whether it’s AirBNB, Hilton, or SW.
Everyone wants to blame the big bad greedy corporations, and they certainly deserve some of it, but as with many things so do we. We don't want to pay for it.
It’s fair for us to not want to pay more for the same level of service we used to get. Maybe the corporations can make a few less millions instead of cutting customer service.
Except we're actually paying a lot less when factoring in inflation for some things than we used to and profit margins are much lower than they used to be (for air travel, for instance). Costs have skyrocketed, so it's either cut some services or raise prices, and we as a society have made it clear which we'd prefer (until there's a problem, of course).
Costs may have skyrocketed but the third option is for the corporations to just eat some of it. God forbid profits take a small hit and the billionaires make slightly less.

Ask regular joe if his wages have gone up enough to be able to absorb all the price increases.

It’s really amazing how much customer service has slid - whether it’s AirBNB, Hilton, or SW.
Everyone wants to blame the big bad greedy corporations, and they certainly deserve some of it, but as with many things so do we. We don't want to pay for it.
It’s fair for us to not want to pay more for the same level of service we used to get. Maybe the corporations can make a few less millions instead of cutting customer service.
Except we're actually paying a lot less when factoring in inflation for some things than we used to and profit margins are much lower than they used to be (for air travel, for instance). Costs have skyrocketed, so it's either cut some services or raise prices, and we as a society have made it clear which we'd prefer (until there's a problem, of course).
I'd love to see some examples of the bolded. Regarding the cut services vs raise prices conundrum for companies, if employees are trained properly and given clear instructions on how to handle situations, then customer service doesn't have to suffer.
In my particular case, can you explain how good customer service would have negatively impacted Airbnb's profits?
We have established (based on information provided by a current Airbnb host = freebagel) that our original host that cancelled our booking will be fined $1000 USD (I assumed the currency). The increased cost of our last minute replacement booking is $675.52 CDN, so even if Airbnb were to cover our increased costs out of the revenue from the fine, they come out ahead. Plus they get increased fees from a more expensive replacement and they end up with a happy customer that will continue to use them and praise them for how well they handled a potentially bad situation.

Thanks to everyone that contributed in this thread. I intend to not look at it again until I return from our vacation. I appreciate the opportunity to post here and to vent my frustrations, so I didn't have to take them with me on our trip.
I intend to focus on our trip now and enjoy all Oahu has to offer. I know there are people facing more difficult and challenging circumstances than ours. It just felt like such a blindside to have our booking cancelled one week prior to arrival. We booked it in August, but have been planning and anticipating the trip since before we had to cancel it the first time in March of 2020.
Happy New Year to all and all the best in 2023! May your travels be worry free and may all your vacations be all that you hope they will be!

Thanks

I'd love to see some examples of the bolded. Regarding the cut services vs raise prices conundrum for companies, if employees are trained properly and given clear instructions on how to handle situations, then customer service doesn't have to suffer.
In my particular case, can you explain how good customer service would have negatively impacted Airbnb's profits?
We have established (based on information provided by a current Airbnb host = freebagel) that our original host that cancelled our booking will be fined $1000 USD (I assumed the currency). The increased cost of our last minute replacement booking is $675.52 CDN, so even if Airbnb were to cover our increased costs out of the revenue from the fine, they come out ahead. Plus they get increased fees from a more expensive replacement and they end up with a happy customer that will continue to use them and praise them for how well they handled a potentially bad situation.
Here and here for the airline industry, as an example.

Sure, more and better training would help, but you do realize that takes a lot of time and money, correct? In general CS jobs aren't exactly sought out so you aren't going to attract the highest quality candidates. Higher pay would certainly help, but again, who's going to pay for it? It's easy to say nonsense like "what's a little less for the Billionaire's", but most who say things like that have very little idea about business or economics. Most would be very surprised at the profit margins at most businesses.

I quoted a generic post about customer service in multiple industries so I wasn't speaking about your particular case. I agree that yours was handled poorly, but I would point out that yours is one of millions and businesses have to come up with policies to follow otherwise it doesn't work. That said, if this is their policy (I have no idea if it is), it's one that should be adjusted.

Again, sorry you're dealing with this and I get that it's extremely frustrating when it happens but really, it's more complex than it seems. Of course, we don't think about all of that when this stuff happens we just want it to be fixed, which is totally natural.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Costs may have skyrocketed but the third option is for the corporations to just eat some of it. God forbid profits take a small hit and the billionaires make slightly less.

Ask regular joe if his wages have gone up enough to be able to absorb all the price increases.
You seem to shoot from the hip a lot, do you have any idea what profit margins are in the airline industry? Again, not saying they don't deserve blame or there isn't any room to make less money but you're comments certainly don't make it seem like you know much about it.

The irony is that regular joe is who is employed by these evil corporations, and essentially we aren't willing to increase their pay because we don't want to pay more for our stuff.

We listed with abb and vrbo. There was a company that had software that automatically set or prices on both based on market demand for that particular day.

Yeah, I'd be curious to see the listing. Seems foolish to jeopardize your rating. Your rep is everything on those platforms with so many options to choose from.
Since COVID, these businesses have really exploded. I know quite a few that are in it now. It’s similar to all of the new eBay sellers, they look at the small pic vs the big pic.

Since COVID, these businesses have really exploded. I know quite a few that are in it now. It’s similar to all of the new eBay sellers, they look at the small pic vs the big pic.
I guess you just have to be a little unlucky then to catch one of those cases where they decide to jeopardize the rating they've built up over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
That's certainly what I prefer but to be honest, I've found customer service to be really solid. Whether its verizon, amazon, stubhub (to name a few I've used recently), I'm just loving the chat capabilities. Long gone are the days where you need to talk to someone on the phone. Its glorious. I mean typically I'm just working at home chatting with someone about an issue or something I want to get clarified.
sometimes when i am lonely i start a support chat and make up a problem and then ask how their day is going and let it go from there i have made a lot of friends so far take that to the bank brohans

That's certainly what I prefer but to be honest, I've found customer service to be really solid. Whether its verizon, amazon, stubhub (to name a few I've used recently), I'm just loving the chat capabilities. Long gone are the days where you need to talk to someone on the phone. Its glorious. I mean typically I'm just working at home chatting with someone about an issue or something I want to get clarified.
sometimes when i am lonely i start a support chat and make up a problem and then ask how their day is going and let it go from there i have made a lot of friends so far take that to the bank brohans
i could see that happening. some of the nicest people i've met are from customer support chat sessions. somewhat related and a little more old school, but sometimes i order something from amazon just to receive the emails.

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Same thing happened to me last Febrary. We booked an Air B&B in New Orleans during Mardi Gras 8 months in advance. Unbeknownst to us, it was a property management company of some sort that was handling the listing and booking.

Got an email a week before confirming everything was good. Then 2 days before the trip, an email saying they couldn't get a hold of the owner and the reservation was canceled, our money refunded, and here's 10% off a new booking if you find one thru Air B&B.

Of course there was nothing available thru Air B&b, but somehow that day I was able find and book 2 hotel rooms right on a parade route for the same price we were paying for the original reservation. Super lucky.

So yeah, I'm done with Air B&B since then.

Some asked to see the listing of the owner who canceled the booking one week prior to our arrival:

Our trip was fantastic! Great food, great sights, beaches, views, etc. No issues with flights, transport to/from airport, rental car, etc. We did hear a lot of Airbnb horror stories from fellow travelers.

Some asked to see the listing of the owner who canceled the booking one week prior to our arrival:

Our trip was fantastic! Great food, great sights, beaches, views, etc. No issues with flights, transport to/from airport, rental car, etc. We did hear a lot of Airbnb horror stories from fellow travelers.

Glad you had a great time. If you use ABB in the future, a 4.1 rating would make me hesitant. And any cancellations in reviews like this:

Nicole​

The host canceled this reservation 29 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.

Glad you had a great time. If you use ABB in the future, a 4.1 rating would make me hesitant. And any cancellations in reviews like this:

Nicole​

The host canceled this reservation 29 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
We did see the above review,but it was from November of 2019 and seemed to be an isolated incident. We should have known better I guess.

Nicole​

We did see the above review,but it was from November of 2019 and seemed to be an isolated incident. We should have known better I guess.

Makes sense. They may not be posting those anymore because your cancelled res isn't showing up. They used to be more common amongst lower tiered hosts.

Last edited:

Nicole​

Makes sense. I'm not sure if they're not posting those anymore because your cancelled res isn't showing up. They used to be more common amongst lower tiered hosts.
The automated posts for canceled reservations don't seem to happen any more. We did find some for other replacement properties we considered, but they were from 2019 too.

Glad you had fun!

4.1 is a bit low. Glad it worked out! Maybe the clown who sent me 200+ inquiries, on my vrbo, is still on this site and will do the same for you.

Nicole​

Going through all the reviews there were more, one at 41 days and one at 9 days plus two bait and switches where someone got a different place without being told prior.

What is a super host? Someone who has X amount of positive reviews?

How it works​

Every quarter, we evaluate your hosting performance over the past 12 months for all listings on your account. (However, you didn’t have to host for the entire 12 months to qualify.) Each quarterly assessment is a 5-day period beginning on:
  • January 1st
  • April 1st
  • July 1st
  • October 1st
If you meet the program requirements by the assessment date, you’ll automatically become a Superhost—no need to apply. We’ll notify you of your status at the end of each assessment period. It may take up to 1 week for your Superhost badge to show up on your listing.

Requirements​

To qualify, listing owner with an account in good standing who has met the following criteria:
  • Completed at least 10 trips or 3 reservations that total at least 100 nights
  • Maintained a 90% response rate or higher
  • Maintained a less than 1% cancellation rate, with exceptions made for those that fall under our Extenuating Circumstances policy
  • Maintained a 4.8 overall rating (A review counts towards Superhost status when either both the guest and the Host have submitted a review, or the 14-day window for reviews is over, whichever comes first).

Nicole​

Going through all the reviews there were more, one at 41 days and one at 9 days plus two bait and switches where someone got a different place without being told prior.
Yes, there were more. They were prior to November 2019. To be honest, we didn't look at reviews beyond November 2019 when we first booked because we didn't think they would be relevant to a 2023 booking. After the host canceled our booking, we did go back and look at all the reviews and saw the other cancellations.

Hopefully just a delay with posting that cancellation message. Airbnb still has something about doing that and I really feel that's beneficial.

Yes, our cancellation message still is not appearing. I found this cancellation policy in what you linked too.

Hopefully just a delay with posting that cancellation message. Airbnb still has something about doing that and I really feel that's beneficial.

Yes, our cancellation message still is not appearing. I found this cancellation policy in what you linked too.
Saw that too. Considering this host's history, those better be some pretty damn extenuating circumstances. I know you're probably just fine putting this behind you, but part of me would want to know why airbnb has chosen not to add a review for this instance.

Saw that too. Considering this host's history, those better be some pretty damn extenuating circumstances. I know you're probably just fine putting this behind you, but part of me would want to know why airbnb has chosen not to add a review for this instance.
After you posted that link, I asked Airbnb Support about the missing cancellation message. No reply yet.

After you posted that link, I asked Airbnb Support about the missing cancellation message. No reply yet.
I honestly doubt they will ever post it from my experience

I've had some luck recently getting a price reduction just by asking, but I'm thinking about testing out a new strategy. The idea would be to lock in something way in advance that roughly checks all the boxes and that offers cancellation close to the check in date. Then as I get close to that date, see how good of a deal I can get from the places that are still available hoping they'll be desperate to get whatever they can. If something turns out to be really attractive, cancel the original booking and go with that one. My only concern would be if becoming a habitual canceller would damage my rep and thus make it less likely that my reservations will get accepted. Anyone know if that would be the case?

I've had some luck recently getting a price reduction just by asking, but I'm thinking about testing out a new strategy. The idea would be to lock in something way in advance that roughly checks all the boxes and that offers cancellation close to the check in date. Then as I get close to that date, see how good of a deal I can get from the places that are still available hoping they'll be desperate to get whatever they can. If something turns out to be really attractive, cancel the original booking and go with that one. My only concern would be if becoming a habitual canceller would damage my rep and thus make it less likely that my reservations will get accepted. Anyone know if that would be the case?

seems like bad karma to me.

that whole platform is full of bad karma - so there's some rationalization to justifying that move, but it doesn't change what it is.

Seems scummy.

lately i have been calling in and cancelling reservations i never made in the first place it is pretty great getting calls back with people saying we cant find your reservation and so on and then i say its ok i cancelled it and then one nice lady and i ended up talking about our favorite pizza places in toledo even though i have never been there take that to the bank bromigos

Seems scummy.
Yeah, I think you're right. Wouldn't be cool.

Seems scummy.
So are $511 cleaning fees.

oh man sue them in canada i am not super familar with canadian law but i think their laywer has to wear a wig and they have to hire a mounty as well take that to the bank brohans

Not so fast @SWC as AirBnB is legally registered in Canada under the jurisdiction of Baffin Island in the territory of Nunavut, meaning that any judgement awarded can be paid at AirBnB‘s discretion of a combination of milk in a bag, ketchup chips, discontinued Dunkaroos, and genuine Saskatchewan sealskin bindings!

• Love
Reactions: SWC
With cleaning fees, all you have to do is contact the host and say you'll only book for say, a $100 cleaning fee. Or whatever price you deem appropriate. They can take it or leave it.

I explain to them that I am a host myself and that I'm well aware of how arbitrary cleaning fees are and as such, I simply won't pay exorbitant fees. They typically agree to knock them down or in some cases -- especially when they may not get a booking at all (if it's close to your dates) -- eliminate them completely.

At this point, all ABNB's extra fees are is a starting point for negotiations. I never pay full price. Find yourself 3 or 4 places and reach out to each with offers. Hell, you can low-ball if your dates are just around the corner. They would rather have something than nothing.

I almost always get at least one that counters, and we go from there.

As an aside, when we're staying for longer, I'll book for two or 3 nights, and then once I'm in contact with the owner directly, I inquire about staying long, but without the middleman (ABNB). Or if we return to a property we really liked, I do the same.

oh man sue them in canada i am not super familar with canadian law but i think their laywer has to wear a wig and they have to hire a mounty as well take that to the bank brohans

Not so fast @SWC as AirBnB is legally registered in Canada under the jurisdiction of Baffin Island in the territory of Nunavut, meaning that any judgement awarded can be paid at AirBnB‘s discretion of a combination of milk in a bag, ketchup chips, discontinued Dunkaroos, and genuine Saskatchewan sealskin bindings!
Oohhh, ketchup chips. Throw in a Tim Horton's double double and a Coffee Crisp bar and we have a deal!

I've had mostly good experiences over probably 15-20 rentals, and I like a house/apt when I go visit my daughter who is in college so I can cook meals (aka bribe her to come hang out with me). But the last one a month or two ago I showed up and the place hadn't been cleaned or turned over at all. All the bedding and towels were piled up on the bed, with no extras other than a single sheet I found in a closet (I even picked a lock of another closet to see if anything in there, no dice). Emailed via the app that night, but it was almost midnight when I showed up so no response. When they replied in the morning they told me to call the local number - and it had no vm box set up. Apparently this was managed by a property manager somewhere else, and they didn't let their local cleaning contact know someone was coming.
I asked repeatedly for a refund on the first night - I mean I had to sleep wrapped in a single sheet on a bare mattress and couldn't shower in the morning (the cleaning lady did show up around 10:00). They finally refunded my cleaning fee, which was less than the fee for one night. Not ideal.

if i could get paid in dunkaroos i just might take that to the bank brochachos

They finally added an option to show just the total on the search results (which includes cleaning fee) so now u can filter by total price. Before u could only filter by nightly price (which doesn't include cleaning fee) and even though the results showed the total in addition to the nightly price it was annoying seeing results that were within the desired nightly price but had high cleaning fees.

Users who are viewing this thread