What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Comment From Mort (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
The Texans are one of the teams with the best shot at the moment of getting the No. 1 pick in next April's draft. If they get the pick, Mort said they would be one of the teams that would be interested in Reggie Bush instead of Matt Leinert. The reason? They have a QB "they don't want to give up on" in David Carr.Now I'm not saying that Domanick Davis is a stud RB who cannot be replaced, but it seems to me he's been a helluva lot better at his position than Carr has been at his. Interesting that, if Mort's report is accurate, the Texans would be more willing to give up on Davis than Carr.

The Texans are one of the teams with the best shot at the moment of getting the No. 1 pick in next April's draft. If they get the pick, Mort said they would be one of the teams that would be interested in Reggie Bush instead of Matt Leinert. The reason? They have a QB "they don't want to give up on" in David Carr.

Now I'm not saying that Domanick Davis is a stud RB who cannot be replaced, but it seems to me he's been a helluva lot better at his position than Carr has been at his. Interesting that, if Mort's report is accurate, the Texans would be more willing to give up on Davis than Carr.
Mort blows a lot of smoke. He has all these connections and gets a lot of bad info. I can't see how the texans can take a RB with there 1st pick. There is no explanation for that except that they are a franchise that is lost. Trade the pick and get two first round o-lineman or d-lineman.

If the Texans take Bush w/the #1 pick they should be banned from the NFL.
In my mind Bush is clearly the best player in college football. Players like him don't come around to often. If I ran the Texans and I had the first pick I would take Bush.

If the Texans do not grab a player like D'Brickshaw - they do have further issues.DOm is always hurt - with Morency, Wells and Dom - one would think they would pass on an RB.One other thought - teams pass on a 2nd rounder for Edge and Alexander last year - but the price to contract Bush with first pick would be more than they would have to pay proven backs like the above mentioned - true?

If the Texans take Bush w/the #1 pick they should be banned from the NFL.
In my mind Bush is clearly the best player in college football. Players like him don't come around to often. If I ran the Texans and I had the first pick I would take Bush.
Bush is a stud - but if D'Angelo was on that team - he might be doing the same things. Most of his runs left him untocuhed last night - this USC O line creates hallway's to run thru - not just holes!Also, did they not just sign Dom to a long term deal?

I don't think Carr or Davis are the problem. It's that Horrid OL. You don't waste a #1 pick on a OL, so either they trade down for more picks, or take Reggie Bush. Davis has shown the ability to get banged up, and I believe Carr COULD be a good QB if given a OL to protect him.Add Bush, you have a dominate RB, who can catch passes(Davis hasn't shown a good ability in that) and then add a OL and a WR to compliament Andre Johnson and you have your self a good building block.

I don't think Carr or Davis are the problem.

It's that Horrid OL. You don't waste a #1 pick on a OL, so either they trade down for more picks, or take Reggie Bush.

Davis has shown the ability to get banged up, and I believe Carr COULD be a good QB if given a OL to protect him.

Add Bush, you have a dominate RB, who can catch passes(Davis hasn't shown a good ability in that) and then add a OL and a WR to compliament Andre Johnson and you have your self a good building block.
DAvis can catch passes. Look at his career stats:RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2003 Houston Texans 14 10 47 351 7.5 17 0 0 0 15

2004 Houston Texans 15 15 68 588 8.6 38 1 1 0 27

2005 Houston Texans 7 7 23 176 7.7 27 2 1 0 10

TOTAL 36 32 138 1115 8.1 38 3 2 0 52

138 receptions over 2 and a half years shows he can catch.

3 things everyone might be missing:First, Bush is considered one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 20 years. He's been compared to Marshall Faulk. You can't pass up on that kind of talent if you have an opportunity to draft him. DD does not change the game and force teams to game plan against him, as Bush might. That makes Carr better. Also, if the Texans take Bush, they could trade DD for another pick, or help at several positions. Think Deuce/Ricky, or McGahee/Henry. Finally, saying you are looking at Bush at #1 increases his value in a trade. Houston could make a killing trading that pick.

All you guys saying the Texans would be dumb to take Reggie Bush with the first pick need to step back from fantasy football, seriously. Your vision is warped and clouded. Domanick Davis is good, but in the real NFL he is no franchise RB. Domanick Davis reminds me of Duce Staley in his younger days, and no, Staley wasn't a franchise back either as evidenced by no NFL team ever handing over their running game to him long-term. Domanick Davis is just keeping the seat warm until a bigger, faster, more talented RB comes along (reference: Travis Henry)....and this better back goes by the name Reggie Bush.YAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Add Bush, you have a dominate RB, who can catch passes(Davis hasn't shown a good ability in that)
With this comment, I can only surmise that you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.I tend to agree with Your Mom:

Trade the pick and get two first round o-lineman or d-lineman.

3 things everyone might be missing:

First, Bush is considered one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 20 years. He's been compared to Marshall Faulk. You can't pass up on that kind of talent if you have an opportunity to draft him. DD does not change the game and force teams to game plan against him, as Bush might. That makes Carr better.

Also, if the Texans take Bush, they could trade DD for another pick, or help at several positions. Think Deuce/Ricky, or McGahee/Henry.

Finally, saying you are looking at Bush at #1 increases his value in a trade. Houston could make a killing trading that pick.
I would agree with all of those points. However, what strikes me as curious is if Leinert is as good as his rep indicates than he could be a franchise QB; something I personally don't think Carr will ever be. Curious that the Texans don't seem to be interested in him or are more interested in replacing Davis -- who has proven to be a legitimate NFL starter at his position - than Carr -- who has not proven to be a legitimate NFL starter at his position.It seems to me that if you have potential franchise players at QB and RB, you almost always take the QB. Yet the Texans -- according to Mort -- aren't interested in doing that despite there being a good argument that QB is a greater area of need at the present time.

That's what I found interesting about his report.

The Texans need an offensive line or neither Carr nor Davis will be long in this league.Look for them to trade down if they get the #1 or #2.

Drafting Bush is an option, drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds isn't. I agree the Davis does a good job and he has adequate back-ups. OL is the biggest area of concern and needs to be addressed and I'm sure it will be. The Texans have addreesed the positon every year but they haven't gotten the unity needed due to injuries and whatnot. Reggie Bush is certainly a talented player and maybe he deserves to be the 1st pick. Maybe the Texans can trade down with a team who needs Bush or Leinart worse than they do for an OL or mulitple draft picks. Temas that make the list:Green BayArizonaBaltimoreClevelandDetroitKCMiamiNYJ

First, Bush is considered one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 20 years. He's been compared to Marshall Faulk. You can't pass up on that kind of talent if you have an opportunity to draft him. DD does not change the game and force teams to game plan against him, as Bush might. That makes Carr better.

Also, if the Texans take Bush, they could trade DD for another pick, or help at several positions. Think Deuce/Ricky, or McGahee/Henry.

Finally, saying you are looking at Bush at #1 increases his value in a trade. Houston could make a killing trading that pick.
The statement on Bush being top RB in the past 20 years is a silly statement - show me where that was found. Reggie Bush is very good, but his team is one of the most dominant in years at the college level and he is relatively small compared to most NFL backs.

they'll trade down. If I were them I'd say I'm gonna take X, whomever teams beneath them would covet more. Whether X is Leinart or Bush. that'd be my guess.

HOU would be nuts not to take D'Brickshaw w/ the #1 overall - the major reason Carr can't develop his talents to their full extent is that he spends so much time looking up at the sky instead of downfield - and the O-line woes certainly don't help their RBs either.They've got some reasonable to solid skill guys in place, but without an O-line, who cares?

Mort was leaked this information to increase the value and number of teams who may be interested in trading up to the top 2 draft positions which the Texans may have in this years upcoming draft.

D'brickashaw Ferguson is tailor made for the Texans, even if they have to trade down to get him.
False. Houston needs to get out of this rebuilding mode you seem to continuously promote on this board. You get playmakers with top draft picks. You then bring in veteran O-lineman through free agency who can contribute immediately. Ex: Robert Gallery was a great one coming out of college, but his impact has not been earth shattering, Roman Oben on the other hand has made more of an impact since San Diego traded for him than Robert Gallery since he was drafted. Bush is the call here. Ferguson is not worth it. YAO

Last edited by a moderator:
HOU would be nuts not to take D'Brickshaw w/ the #1 overall
Pony Boy,The Texans may not have to use their #1 on D'Brickshaw. If they play their cards right, they may well be able to trade down just a couple of spots, get D'Brickshaw and another pick.

Carr gets a roster bonus this offseason in the form of the Texans picking up a 3 or 5 year extension that already built into his deal. Capers already stated that the $8 mil bonus/ 5 year extension will be picked up. The only way this doesn't happen is if Capers is fired (which could happen but won't happen).

False. Houston needs to get out of this rebuilding mode you seem to continuously promote on this board. You get playmakers with top draft picks. You then bring in veteran O-lineman through free agency who can contribute immediately. Ex: Robert Gallery was a great one coming out of college, but his impact has not been earth shattering, Roman Oben on the other hand has made more of an impact since San Diego traded for him than Robert Gallery since he was drafted. Bush or Leinart is the call here. Ferguson is not worth it.

YAO
That's where you're wrong. If a franchise OT is on the board, he's easily worth what a franchise RB or QB is worth in the draft. D'Brickshaw qualifies for that designation.

HOU would be nuts not to take D'Brickshaw w/ the #1 overall
Pony Boy,The Texans may not have to use their #1 on D'Brickshaw. If they play their cards right, they may well be able to trade down just a couple of spots, get D'Brickshaw and another pick.
Agreed. That would be ideal for them.

Yeah if the Texans get the #1, they should trade down to #2. (hopefully they can BS taking whoever that team wants. leak a story about a contract inplace for xxxx). Then trade down again from 2 to 5-8 range. The top 2 picks will be very badly wanted. If they can get some extra picks and still get a stud o-line, they'll be far better off. Bottom line is they really don't need rb/qb as bad as other teams do.

the major reason Carr can't develop his talents to their full extent is that he...
stinks and peaked out at Fresno St. The Joey Harrington experiment is nearing its end, as is the Carr experiment.FIXED

The Texans should draft Bush because they're only 1 RB away from being a playoff team. :irony:If they don't trade down for multiple 1st and 2nd rounders, they're insane. This is the year to do it because there are a lot of good skill position players that people are vying for. The Texans can come out of this draft with 2 o-line starters plus a good skill position player like a TE, and perhaps a good defensive player. It's stupid not to try. As for Bush, I'm an 'SC fan and have been watching him all year. If he doesn't win the Heisman, it's a crime. The guy is in amazing athlete. However, as far as the NFL goes, I've been saying for awhile now that I don't know whether he's the next Marshall Faulk or the next Eric Metcalf. If I'm picking a RB in the NFL draft, the first guy I grab is Maroney.

You then bring in veteran O-lineman through free agency who can contribute immediately.
You mean like how the Texans did with Boselli?That worked well for them didn't it? :lmao:
Boselli was a cripple and they should have known. I'm talking about how the Chargers managed to bring in a crafty O-lineman like Roman Oben and he has far outperformed the likes of Robert Gallery the last two years.By the way, you're a Domanick Davis owner aren't you? I can tell by your nervous posts when the name Reggie Bush is mentioned in the same sentence as 'Texans.' :lmao:

YAO

I don't think Carr or Davis are the problem.

It's that Horrid OL. You don't waste a #1 pick on a OL, so either they trade down for more picks, or take Reggie Bush.

Davis has shown the ability to get banged up, and I believe Carr COULD be a good QB if given a OL to protect him.

Add Bush, you have a dominate RB, who can catch passes(Davis hasn't shown a good ability in that) and then add a OL and a WR to compliament Andre Johnson and you have your self a good building block.
DAvis can catch passes. Look at his career stats:RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2003 Houston Texans 14 10 47 351 7.5 17 0 0 0 15

2004 Houston Texans 15 15 68 588 8.6 38 1 1 0 27

2005 Houston Texans 7 7 23 176 7.7 27 2 1 0 10

TOTAL 36 32 138 1115 8.1 38 3 2 0 52

138 receptions over 2 and a half years shows he can catch.
K, sorry, Didn't mean he can't catch passes.. Just to me, again my :2cents: not a big threat to break a 5 yard catch into a 20+ yard gain. But I've probably only been privy to watch about 6 games so not a lot to go on.:shug:

You then bring in veteran O-lineman through free agency who can contribute immediately.
You mean like how the Texans did with Boselli?That worked well for them didn't it? :lmao:
You're starting a team, how do you NOT take a chance on a "best of" caliber Tackle?

D'brickashaw Ferguson is tailor made for the Texans, even if they have to trade down to get him.
False. Houston needs to get out of this rebuilding mode you seem to continuously promote on this board. You get playmakers with top draft picks. You then bring in veteran O-lineman through free agency who can contribute immediately. Ex: Robert Gallery was a great one coming out of college, but his impact has not been earth shattering, Roman Oben on the other hand has made more of an impact since San Diego traded for him than Robert Gallery since he was drafted. Bush is the call here. Ferguson is not worth it. YAO
Ask the Lions how well it has worked out for them taking "playmakers" and never addressing your line. Franchise tackles are NEVER available via free agency or trade. Not unless they have serious injury question marks are on the downside of their career. Why do think guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones are so coveted by their teams?!?!?

Franchise tackles are NEVER available via free agency or trade. Not unless they have serious injury question marks are on the downside of their career. Why do think guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones are so coveted by their teams?!?!?
I forget, what franchise tackle do the San Diego Chargers have? Hmm, you must know. It's not about franchise tackles, it's about O-line cohesion. You can pick some great O-lineman even on day two and make them work within your system. Whether Ferguson is a franchise OT is debatable. Robert Gallery was highly touted and he still can't even play left tackle yet. Tone down the hype on Ferguson.

Ask the Lions how well it has worked out for them taking "playmakers" and never addressing your line. Franchise tackles are NEVER available via free agency or trade. Not unless they have serious injury question marks are on the downside of their career. Why do think guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones are so coveted by their teams?!?!?
:goodposting: Most RB's in the NFL would have success in Pittsburgh, but very few would do well in Houston right now.

First, Bush is considered one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 20 years.  He's been compared to Marshall Faulk.  You can't pass up on that kind of talent if you have an opportunity to draft him.  DD does not change the game and force teams to game plan against him, as Bush might.  That makes Carr better. 

Also, if the Texans take Bush, they could trade DD for another pick, or help at several positions.  Think Deuce/Ricky, or McGahee/Henry. 

Finally, saying you are looking at Bush at #1 increases his value in a trade.  Houston could make a killing trading that pick.
The statement on Bush being top RB in the past 20 years is a silly statement - show me where that was found. Reggie Bush is very good, but his team is one of the most dominant in years at the college level and he is relatively small compared to most NFL backs.
Silly? "Overview:

Reggie Bush is a phenomenal player with special attributes rarely seen. Analysts have compared Bush as the one of the best all around football players to come out of college since Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders. Although only a junior, Bush has the experience, ability, and knowledge to be a starter at the next level and make a firm impact in no time."

"With his special playmaking ability, Bush will go high in the draft whenever he declares. With him being on course to graduate after three seasons, he will likely turn to the NFL draft this year. He could very well be the first back off the board, but is definitely a first round pick wherever he ends up. He has that special all around ability to be a major force as a runner and receiver much like Marshall Faulk during his prime with the Rams, and he's going to be a big time playmaker at the next level. "

"Bush reminds his head coach, Pete Carroll, of Gale Sayers. In today’s NFL, Bush’s duality as both a rusher and a receiver will also cause many to compare him to Marshall Faulk. "

"...certainly the most dynamic prospect at HB to come along in a while."

Should I go on? Look 'em up.

you're a Domanick Davis owner aren't you? I can tell by your nervous posts when the name Reggie Bush is mentioned in the same sentence as 'Texans.' :lmao:

YAO
Nope! Not a DD owner.

But I am a Gado owner. :thumbup:

I'm VERY glad I didn't pay attention to your drivel on Gado, same as how I'm not putting a whole lot of credence in what you have to say now.

Pretty much whatever you say, I do the exact opposite.

It's worked out 99.9 % of the time. :lmao:

you're a Domanick Davis owner aren't you?  I can tell by your nervous posts when the name Reggie Bush is mentioned in the same sentence as 'Texans.'  :lmao:

YAO
Nope! Not a DD owner.

But I am a Gado owner. :thumbup:

I'm VERY glad I didn't pay attention to your drivel on Gado, same as how I'm not putting a whole lot of credence in what you have to say now.

Pretty much whatever you say, I do the exact opposite.

It's worked out 99.9 % of the time. :lmao:
And if you are so giddy about Gado then the rest of your team was probably piss-poor and is out of the running. Kudos. :thumbup:

maybe you don't realize how important players like Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden have been to their respective teams. Look at what happens to the Chiefs offense when Willie Roaf is out of the lineup.Adding a stud LT has the benefit of instantly upgrading the running game and the passing game all at once. The Cleveland Browns are an example of a team that has consistently ignored the offensive line in their drafting since entering the league while taking skill players like Tim Couch, Willie Green, and a slew of WRs...but, none of them could do anything without adequate protection up front. Then, look at the Chicago Bears...they went out and signed John Tait and Fred Miller the past couple years and they are finding a way to win with a 4th round rookie QB under center.

If you have a good offensive line, you can win in the NFL even if your skill players aren't that great. But, the Texans already have quality players in place in Carr, Davis, and AJ. They've been successful in the past...would like to see what they could do with some decent blocking. A coaching change there will also go a long way towards improving their offensive production.

First, Bush is considered one of the best RB prospects to come out in the last 20 years.  He's been compared to Marshall Faulk.  You can't pass up on that kind of talent if you have an opportunity to draft him.  DD does not change the game and force teams to game plan against him, as Bush might.  That makes Carr better. 

Also, if the Texans take Bush, they could trade DD for another pick, or help at several positions.  Think Deuce/Ricky, or McGahee/Henry. 

Finally, saying you are looking at Bush at #1 increases his value in a trade.  Houston could make a killing trading that pick.
Silly? "Overview:

Reggie Bush is a phenomenal player with special attributes rarely seen. Analysts have compared Bush as the one of the best all around football players to come out of college since Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders. Although only a junior, Bush has the experience, ability, and knowledge to be a starter at the next level and make a firm impact in no time."

"With his special playmaking ability, Bush will go high in the draft whenever he declares. With him being on course to graduate after three seasons, he will likely turn to the NFL draft this year. He could very well be the first back off the board, but is definitely a first round pick wherever he ends up. He has that special all around ability to be a major force as a runner and receiver much like Marshall Faulk during his prime with the Rams, and he's going to be a big time playmaker at the next level. "

"Bush reminds his head coach, Pete Carroll, of Gale Sayers. In today’s NFL, Bush’s duality as both a rusher and a receiver will also cause many to compare him to Marshall Faulk. "

"...certainly the most dynamic prospect at HB to come along in a while."

Should I go on? Look 'em up.
Sure - still looking where it says he is one of the best backs to come out in 20 years. Overview? Who owns that overview - some cheesy web site you visit?

Franchise tackles are NEVER available via free agency or trade. Not unless they have serious injury question marks are on the downside of their career. Why do think guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones are so coveted by their teams?!?!?
I forget, what franchise tackle do the San Diego Chargers have? Hmm, you must know. It's not about franchise tackles, it's about O-line cohesion. You can pick some great O-lineman even on day two and make them work within your system. Whether Ferguson is a franchise OT is debatable. Robert Gallery was highly touted and he still can't even play left tackle yet. Tone down the hype on Ferguson.
Gallery is playing right tackle - genius.

And if you are so giddy about Gado then the rest of your team was probably piss-poor and is out of the running. Kudos. :thumbup:
Wrong AGAIN.S Jax & Portis anchor the RB's of my team, which is currently tied for 1st in my Division.

Gado is depth and was a freebie off the Waiver Wire.....though no thanks to your piss-poor evaluation.

But I do have to give you Kudos Yao.

As I said, whatever advice you give, I do the exact opposite.

99.9% of the time it works out to be a great move. :thumbup:

Thanks man, keep up the good work. :lmao:

I would agree with all of those points. However, what strikes me as curious is if Leinert is as good as his rep indicates than he could be a franchise QB; something I personally don't think Carr will ever be. Curious that the Texans don't seem to be interested in him or are more interested in replacing Davis -- who has proven to be a legitimate NFL starter at his position - than Carr -- who has not proven to be a legitimate NFL starter at his position.It seems to me that if you have potential franchise players at QB and RB, you almost always take the QB. Yet the Texans -- according to Mort -- aren't interested in doing that despite there being a good argument that QB is a greater area of need at the present time.

I hear ya. The problem with taking the franchise QB however, is that there is more inherent risk in the pick not panning out given the complexities of the position. The Texans know that first hand.

I hear ya. The problem with taking the franchise QB however, is that there is more inherent risk in the pick not panning out given the complexities of the position. The Texans know that first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread