What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting commissioner dilemma (1 Viewer)

Reading both sides of the argument here, and hearing these same arguments between league mates tells me their really is no right or wrong here.   I am not involved at all as commissioner or one of the playoff teams   My crappy team failed to even make the playoffs this year.  I’m not looking to gain anything directly from this discussion.   I just thought it was a really crazy dilemma that didn’t have a clear cut answer and wanted to see other opinions   

Personally, I say the commissioner should not manually do anything and the outcome should only be dictated by whatever happens automatically due to settings we already have in place.  I would say the precedent has been set already by our rule of no changes to settings are made in-season.   If the commissioner has to manually go in and change the score, I define that as a change in the normal settings.  It sucks for the guy who has Goff.   And I know it sounds absurd to “pretend” Goff threw this “phantom” INT.   But for 16 years our league has basically assumed finality of a matchup as of Tuesday morning.   It’s not a written rule, but it has been mentality all along.  To change that mindset all of a sudden and adopt this Thursday scoring change just seems bush to me.  Not to mention it does open a can of worms.  The season points victory was decided by less than 2 points.   I would imagine the commissioner will now be asked to adjust scoring for every week back to week 1 in case the second place team has 2 points hidden somewhere.   

It really is a crappy situation with no clear cut answer.  I see validity on both sides of the argument.   Thanks again for all the discussion  

jmo87usc said:
Interesting.  So it may update on it's own.  I was reading the MFL FAQ's and that's where I got the info I did.  That would make it a non issue if that's the case.  
It does by default.  You can change that on the Commissioner menu under Statistics Changes:

https://imgur.com/a/5dgAoLo

You definitely cannot do this on your own.  If the rules say this is how it it, then this is how it is.  If it updates on its own so be it, but you cannot institute a correction that your league rules do not allow you to institute.  Fix it next year for sure.

My initial reaction was: obviousy make the stat change and get the result that matches the NFL final results.  But after giving it some thought I have reached the conclusion that the right action for your league is to leave the score as it is without any correction.  

If your league has never made stat corrections, then you cannot just arbitrarily start making them late in the season.  You would have to go back and make all stat changes for every game which could affect wins, losses, total points, standings, waiver priority... There is too much unknown.  Your league has operated in good faith that previous results were final and you need to maintain that consistency.

In fact, your league is operating under a completly fine system. You have final results after the games are completed based on the observers in real time keeping stats on the games.  The observers are keeping the official record of plays which is very accurate.  If this is what your league wants to use as the statistics then that is acceptable.  Other leagues (and most do) can choose to wait for Elias (or whomever has the final say) to review each play of every game and often there is a correction, but they are usually very miniscule (+1 yd on a return, - 1 yd on sack...). Every once in a while there is a big discrepency, something like a long reception that is credited to the wrong receiver type of play.

I would suggest your league does nothing this year and in the off-season you vote to have stat corrections automatically update and at the same time your league votes in a penalty for fumbles.

This thread conjures up great nostalgia of the first time I encountered this issue.

I’d just lost a critical game to the Commish’s team, both vying for playoffs.  Then I found a note in my local paper (yes, an actual newsprint clip) about a Brady to Kevin Faulk TD pass being turned into a run.  He’d started Faulk, and the league (all of whom worked in the same building) had a lively debate for the rest of the week.

We added a rule to allow stat corrections, and thought we were set.  Then a few years later, Elias Sports Bureau made another stat change to something that had happened three weeks prior.  (Back then real time stats were still a pipe dream...long live USA Today’s Monday edition.)

In goes a rule limiting corrections to the current week.

By now these things should be part of the standard boilerplate of every league ruleset, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread