What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

Of course they will be cheaper and faster in a year, Walt. Like everything else in this world.

Look, there's the guys who go to the moon first and then there's the guys down on earth watching those guys go to the moon.

This message sent from my iPad
:lol: This hyperbole is what JB was talking about. iPad is not like going to the moon first. If anything, it's like going to the moon in a 777 instead of the smaller shuttle.
:thumbdown: Tablet computing is nothing new, the iPad has more restrictions than its predecessors, it just has a nice UI.
The "restrictions" make it more streamlined, simple and just better. Lots of people these days don't want to be typing "c:\...". Fast, easy, dependable. No blue screens of death. Etc. These are some of the best things about the device.
Aside from the catfighting, I think there's a really good business point on this.

Tablets or Pads have been around a long time. Of course Apple didn't create this market.

Just as Zappos didn't create the market of selling shoes.

But what both have done is take a market (Zappos took a super old one - Apple took a floundering one) and do it better.

I think that's a huge point. I see too many people thinking they must create some incredible business idea that is unlike anything anyone's ever seen before. It must be totally unique for it to succeed. Zappos and Apple here destroy that idea.

I'd venture to say it's a better model to take something that's been done and do it significantly better.

J

Is there some kind of way I could wear this as a necklace a la Flavor Flav? I would just leave the clock app open.
see "shoulder strap"

http://modulrcase.com/accessories.php

and by the way.. other than the Marware folios, any body seen any simple, nice, ipad folio cases???
This is outstanding. They "get it". Note the big hole in the center to make sure people can display the Apple logo. For a ton of users, this will be a huge consideration. Given the choice of throwing the ipad in a laptop bag or carrying it in a way that everyone can see you have an ipad, the latter will be the big winner. :thumbup: apple.

J

Is there some kind of way I could wear this as a necklace a la Flavor Flav? I would just leave the clock app open.
see "shoulder strap"

and by the way.. other than the Marware folios, any body seen any simple, nice, ipad folio cases???
This is outstanding. They "get it". Note the big hole in the center to make sure people can display the Apple logo. For a ton of users, this will be a huge consideration. Given the choice of throwing the ipad in a laptop bag or carrying it in a way that everyone can see you have an ipad, the latter will be the big winner. :thumbup: apple.

J
:doh:

see "shoulder strap"

J
:doh:
http://l-o-l.ws/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ipad-chain.jpg

see "shoulder strap"

This is outstanding. They "get it". Note the big hole in the center to make sure people can display the Apple logo. For a ton of users, this will be a huge consideration. Given the choice of throwing the ipad in a laptop bag or carrying it in a way that everyone can see you have an ipad, the latter will be the big winner. :doh: apple.

J
:headbang:
Not at all, GB. There are few brands in the world that people want to display more than Apple. That's why I :bow: to them.If you offered an macbook laptop with zero logo or branding that was identical to the macbook, what percentage of people would choose the one with apple on it?

If you did the same thing for a Dell or HP laptop, how do you think those numbers would differ?

This is a huge compliment to Apple.

Why do you think they left that big hole in the back of the modular case?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
see "shoulder strap"

This is outstanding. They "get it". Note the big hole in the center to make sure people can display the Apple logo. For a ton of users, this will be a huge consideration. Given the choice of throwing the ipad in a laptop bag or carrying it in a way that everyone can see you have an ipad, the latter will be the big winner. :doh: apple.

J
http://l-o-l.ws/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ipad-chain.jpg
Nice.J

see "shoulder strap"

J
Not at all, GB. There are few brands in the world that people want to display more than Apple. That's why I :bow: to them.If you offered an macbook laptop with zero logo or branding that was identical to the macbook, what percentage of people would choose the one with apple on it?

If you did the same thing for a Dell or HP laptop, how do you think those numbers would differ?

This is a huge compliment to Apple.

Why do you think they left that big hole in the back of the modular case?

J
It's not a BMW. It's a computer that costs less than 90% of the computers out there. I don't see any "hey look at me" factor here whatsoever.Same goes for the iPhone and iPod (literally everyone I know has one or the other or both).

see "shoulder strap"

J
:swordfight:

It's not a BMW. It's a computer that costs less than 90% of the computers out there. I don't see any "hey look at me" factor here whatsoever.Same goes for the iPhone and iPod (literally everyone I know has one or the other or both).
Please. There isn't a consumer product on earth this week with more look at me factor than the ipad. Sure in a couple of years it'll be like the iphone where tons of people have them. But today, it's the king of look at me. And that's great. I love Apple for that.J

Please. There isn't a consumer product on earth this week with more look at me factor than the ipad. Sure in a couple of years it'll be like the iphone where tons of people have them. But today, it's the king of look at me. And that's great. I love Apple for that.J
Why is it "look at me" though, J? I don't really think the iPad/Apple lovers think of it like that. Why would it irk non-iPad owners so much? I also have a $1500 laptop by Apple. Does that irk people too or more?

and THAT is what jobs is BEST at.. building the "Look at me" in various niches, every 90 days or so... various HW, Various Media, Various Operating Systems, and Various methods to access. I think that is what is different (better??) than the android / chrome thing going on.. every apple effort is a focused SINGLE release that brings the LOOK AT ME light to them.open sourced android / chrome, just kinda flows out, while just as (or more) capable than the apple effort, it doesn't bring that ZIP, that mass consumers go for...

:yucky:People still have their "sent from my iphone" signature on their iphone after years of use.

Why is it "look at me" though, J? I don't really think the iPad/Apple lovers think of it like that. Why would it irk non-iPad owners so much? I also have a $1500 laptop by Apple. Does that irk people too or more?
Because it's the coolest hottest product out there right now. People love showing it off. Again, THAT IS NOT BAD. Look at otis' thread pimping it here. That's a perfect example. You're looking at it negatively and I don't see that all. I don't think it irks people. I think apple fans love showing off their apple products. How many Dell stickers do you see on cars? None. How many apples? A lot more. It's not bad. It's good.J

Because it's the coolest hottest product out there right now. People love showing it off. Again, THAT IS NOT BAD. Look at otis' thread pimping it here. That's a perfect example. You're looking at it negatively and I don't see that all. I don't think it irks people. I think apple fans love showing off their apple products. How many Dell stickers do you see on cars? None. How many apples? A lot more. It's not bad. It's good.J
Considering the extreme/irrational negative opinions coming through this and other threads, I have to assume it irks people. People like their Apple products. People like their BMWs. Why the hate from others? I think you said Otis had been stirring the pot earlier and that he should have expected this reaction -- but what's the big deal? He's excited about an exciting product. Doing the opposite, as many have done in here though? I don't get it. :yucky:

If you're saying they're here to pick a fight because some of us were excited about the product and are enjoying the product, then I guess it makes sense. Still seems silly to me, and I'm still not sure what they're getting out of it. But I guess that's their call.
Why is it that I can't read this and not think about the "Gran Torino" thread and laugh?

Why do you assume it irks others? Apple is about the brand/look as much as anything. I dont think consumers buy to irk others, but buy to have a good, functional product which also has the look at me factor. Same reason people wear a specific clothing brand slathered with logos, or expensive hand bags or Ed Hardy hats. Sure they serve a function, but they also are a "look at me" device. That wears off eventually as with the iphone. The ipad is no different.

:yucky:People still have their "sent from my iphone" signature on their iphone after years of use.
Probably can't figure out how to disable it. Is there an app for that?

If you're saying they're here to pick a fight because some of us were excited about the product and are enjoying the product, then I guess it makes sense. Still seems silly to me, and I'm still not sure what they're getting out of it. But I guess that's their call.
Why is it that I can't read this and not think about the "Gran Torino" thread and laugh?
Otis was trying to save you fools money there. Don't hate on the guy for caring about his iFriends.

Otis was trying to save you fools money there. Don't hate on the guy for caring about his iFriends.
Gran Torino was great...until that song at the end.

Considering the extreme/irrational negative opinions coming through this and other threads, I have to assume it irks people. People like their Apple products. People like their BMWs. Why the hate from others? I think you said Otis had been stirring the pot earlier and that he should have expected this reaction -- but what's the big deal? He's excited about an exciting product. Doing the opposite, as many have done in here though? I don't get it. :shrug:
Most of the people bashing it either work for Apple's main competitors or own a droid phone. This is a bad shark pool thread all over again. It's the Portis owner screaming at the top of his lungs about how bad LJ sucks.

Otis Non-Apple-fanbois are trying to save you fools money here. Don't hate on the guy for caring about his iFriends.
See how that works? It seems rather hyproctirical to whine to Joe about something you do on a fairly regular basis dontcha think?

Considering the extreme/irrational negative opinions coming through this and other threads, I have to assume it irks people. People like their Apple products. People like their BMWs. Why the hate from others? I think you said Otis had been stirring the pot earlier and that he should have expected this reaction -- but what's the big deal? He's excited about an exciting product. Doing the opposite, as many have done in here though? I don't get it. :shrug:
Huge difference there.One thing to be happy you have an apple product and put a sticker on your car.Another thing to come in fishing trying to claim it's the life transformer.Many people are indifferent to the Pac 10. Until lhucks starts posting about it.J

Chunky soup, I'd ask you what I asked otis.

If they offered two versions of the macbook - 1 normally branded and other one black with zero branding or any way to know it was a macbook.

How do you think the sales breakdown would be?

What if they did the same for a Dell laptop? How would it differ?

J

Why get the outdated Ipad when you can get the 3G soon? Looks like they are going to announce it in a few week.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-s...rides-a-segway/
Can someone explain to me what benefits you get with 3G?
You dont have to search for a wifi connection.I find I use the 3G on my iphone much more than the wifi (in the car, on the bus/train, out at random restaurants, etc).

I wouldn't buy the non-3G version, personally.

Of course they will be cheaper and faster in a year, Walt. Like everything else in this world.

Look, there's the guys who go to the moon first and then there's the guys down on earth watching those guys go to the moon.

This message sent from my iPad
:lmao: This hyperbole is what JB was talking about. iPad is not like going to the moon first. If anything, it's like going to the moon in a 777 instead of the smaller shuttle.
:goodposting: Tablet computing is nothing new, the iPad has more restrictions than its predecessors, it just has a nice UI.
Hopefully it will do better than the newton. It seems to be striking a new nerve between phone aps and laptops. It won't replace either but with 10 hour battery life and watching movies and email it should do well.
What is everyone's experience with battery life so far? Please give real insight not just it's great!!The three people I know that have them keep the screen at maximum brightness and are not getting the 10hrs. They are estimating around 6 to 7 max. Of course they are playing with it heavily (movies & games) so that makes a difference but I am curious what others are getting.

Why get the outdated Ipad when you can get the 3G soon? Looks like they are going to announce it in a few week.

for an extra 130 dollars you get access to ATT data plans, so you can take the pad anywhere.. there are two plans, 15? and $30.. 30 is unlimited data, i read today it is really unlimited, not 5GB, like some others... and you can turn it "off" when you want.. so you could never use it, then turn it on for a vacation, or whatever reason to be away from wifi...

You dont have to search for a wifi connection.I find I use the 3G on my iphone much more than the wifi (in the car, on the bus/train, out at random restaurants, etc).

jailbreak the iphone and make it a wifi hotspot. save the money versus the 3G version and the monthly data plan.

Otis Non-Apple-fanbois are trying to save you fools money here. Don't hate on the guy for caring about his iFriends.
See how that works? It seems rather hyproctirical to whine to Joe about something you do on a fairly regular basis dontcha think?
What's with you guys? I haven't "whined to Joe" once about anything. Lots of creative thinking happening in here, but it's pretty disjointed from reality.

What is everyone's experience with battery life so far? Please give real insight not just it's great!!The three people I know that have them keep the screen at maximum brightness and are not getting the 10hrs. They are estimating around 6 to 7 max. Of course they are playing with it heavily (movies & games) so that makes a difference but I am curious what others are getting.
:goodposting:The battery is great. Getting 10+ hours on web. Getting near that on other stuff. Please stop your thoughtless bashing tia.

I got to play with one yesterday -- we picked one up for demo/office use at my workplace. It was pretty cool to use Citrix Receiver to remote desktop into servers using only this little disembodied screen. I'm sold on the form factor and I believe that devices like the iPad (and including the iPad) will be the biggest "expansion of the pie" the personal computer market has seen since the web exploded and then matured in the public's eye.

The sheer gravity of the web and the things you can do with it pretty much pulled everyone into it's orbit. The only groups left out were those who could not afford a personal computer and those who were not capable of learning how to use one.

The iPad and devices like it are the breakthrough platform that will eventually solve both of those problems. An embedded OS is very easy to use and requires minimal maintenance. It simplifies the use of the device for those who have never really used a computer. If you've never gotten used to traditional computing paradigms, replacing a mouse cursor with a touchscreen and a keyboard with a visual representation of one makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, those of us who are used to traditional computing interfaces will find the iPad (and devices like it) somewhat unnatural to use. This group will recognize the limitations of the embedded OS. But this group has shown that they are nothing if not adaptable, and the benefit of these devices will grow as the platform and technology matures.

And prices will come down substantially. Right now, the large IPS and OLED touchscreens in the iPad and smartphones are relatively very expensive and in limited supply. The SSD flash storage used in these devices is also in high demand. Once manufacturing economies of scale really kick in and undercut the pricing of these components, we'll see how low the price points can go. On the other hand, the clamshell netbook form factor with an electromechanical keyboard is already approaching its minimum manufacturing cost. The only way netbooks can get much "cheaper" is through increased capacity due to Moore's Law. But the tablets will see the same benefit from Moore's Law while also reaping the benefit of economies of scale. The only way the netbooks can possibly keep up is by reducing the cost of the OS.

And once Google's "less than free" pricing model kicks in with the arrival of the first few Android (and eventually ChromeOS) tablets, the margins in this segment will drop to zero quickly. They'll go negative eventually, just like the gaming console market has shown. Selling the device at a loss sets you, the content gatekeeper, up with a perpetual ad-based referral revenue stream. Google's strategy is to cut in the hardware manufacturer on that revenue stream -- effectively subsidizing the device to get as many units in the hands of consumers as possible.

And as the price points on tablets get cheaper, the market will continue expanding to include more of the folks who cannot currently afford personal computers. This will stoke further growth. And eventually, the ubiquity and maturity of these devices will make them more compelling even to those of us who prefer a "real computer". Within a couple of years, tablet computers with embedded OSes will take a big, wet bite out of the low-end and middle segment of the personal computing market.

So in the end, it really comes down to a question of who you prefer your gatekeeper to be. And that's what troubles me the most about the iPad, and has troubled me the most about my iPhone. I love the device -- it's been a lifechanger in the truest sense of the word. But my frustrations with it have traced back to the way Apple keeps a lid on the device's capabilities through its iTunes-centric App Store ecosystem. And that's what I worry about with the iPad. The best critical article about the iPad that I've read is this one from Jeff Jarvis:

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2010/04/04/ipad...umer-v-creator/

I agree with Jarvis, and I think Google's relative openness and lower price points will create more market share, and outstrip Apple's ability to keep up while still maintaining tight control on the platform. This is pretty much the same effect we saw in the late 80s when the first Macs, manufactured and tightly-controlled by Apple, duked it out with Microsoft/Wintel mutt PCs. The biggest difference between now and then is that Apple is sitting on almost as much cash as Google. It's shaping up to be a bare-knuckle street fight. But I think the advantage will go to Google because Apple clearly has a vested interest in keeping the traditional laptop and desktop alive. That's the real reason (IMO) why the iPad doesn't have an embedded USB port, and why the iPad iWork applications don't *quite* work as well as the ones in OSX do -- they don't want the iPad to compete too far upstream against their high-margin MacBooks. Google, on the other hand, has no walled garden to protect in the PC market -- they can focus their full attention on being disruptive. They're the Keyser Söze in this market at the moment. That's why I think they should buy Adobe and open-source Flash, but that's another long speech.

And one final thought in looking at the graph above -- isn't it weird that nowhere else in this long-winded post about the future of personal computing has Microsoft come up? The truth is that even though they have a well-regarded hit on their hands with Windows 7, Microsoft is increasingly becoming irrelevant to the consumer. They're deeply embedded in the enterprise, and will continue to hold that market for quite some time. But their mobile strategy is way behind the curve. Windows Phone 7 is a promising technology -- it's just several years late, and still not due to launch until the end of this year. And then there's the fact that the Windows 7 Phone's UI is based on Silverlight and not .NET. That's going to slow down another traditional strength of Microsoft -- the onslaught of the largest developer army in the world. Microsoft needs a visionary like Bill Gates to ride to their rescue, just like he did in 1995 with the "internet tidal wave" memo. And they need that yesterday. Without an executive call to set aside their byzantine organizational politics and get "all hands on deck" to push mobility, Microsoft is increasingly posed for mediocrity in the future.

Like always, technology is a disruptive force and the landscape is changing. That's where I see it going.
This makes no sense to me especially the keyboard part. It's harder to teach someone to type on a keyboard than a interface that looks like a keyboard? Not to mention the keyboard re sizes elements on the screen or covers them up. Makes no sense but I suppose it is easier to teach someone to type on-screen than on a keyboard.

Gran Torino was great
This is helpful context.

jailbreak the iphone and make it a wifi hotspot. save the money versus the 3G version and the monthly data plan.
I couldn't justify the 3g, as if i am out and about, I am most likely using the iphone 3G... not carrying the pad...

Gran Torino was great
This is helpful context.
just fishing the fisher

Videos - Do you find the one inch or so of borders to be an issue when watching video widescreen?
I'm not sure what you expect here. Either you have no concept of aspect ratios, or you expect electronic devices to stretch out to match whatever you're watching Jetsons style.
I fully understand it's 4:3 and not 16:9. That's the point. You either watch it butchered or you lose a lot of screen real estate in the process. From what I could tell your losing 2 inches total top and bottom on the iPad. I'd prefer to have a 16:9 device if it's truly for entertainment.

Videos - Do you find the one inch or so of borders to be an issue when watching video widescreen?
I'm not sure what you expect here. Either you have no concept of aspect ratios, or you expect electronic devices to stretch out to match whatever you're watching Jetsons style.
I fully understand it's 4:3 and not 16:9. That's the point. You either watch it butchered or you lose a lot of screen real estate in the process. From what I could tell your losing 2 inches total top and bottom on the iPad. I'd prefer to have a 16:9 device if it's truly for entertainment.
No way would I want a 16:9 eReader. Or web browser. Or anything else aside from watching video. I can live with letterboxing here. The video is still large enough/simply beautiful on this thing that I don't really care.

Yeah, those black edges around the screen KILL me.

Then you'll have 2 inches on both sides black when you're watching something full screen. You want something that changes screen size based on what content is being shown. That's not outside the realm of nanotechnology, but we're quite far away from something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread