What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iran attacks US base in Iraq (1 Viewer)

12 missiles, sadly I could’ve seen a deescalation. A second wave? No way there isn’t a large amount of Tomahawk missiles headed towards Tehran soon. 

Also, if anyone needs any Tomahawk missiles, I know a guy. 

Thanks, GB. We're at war. That's all I wanted people to know and to act accordingly both on board and in life. 
I still can’t figure out what point your trying to make. If you’re trying to say the blue sky is blue, ok?

I’m surprised there aren’t like defensive Patriot missiles or something to knock down these kinds of things?

I still can’t figure out what point your trying to make. If you’re trying to say the blue sky is blue, ok?
It seems like some people are saying we're not at war, or that we started a war, etc.

That seems like an important point to distinguish.

If it's one or twowaves and hits infrastructure. This most likely goes no further. If there are causalities on the ground, I would guess we target the launch sites.

If it's one or twowaves and hits infrastructure. This most likely goes no further. If there are causalities on the ground, I would guess we target the launch sites.
We already know they didn’t target infrastructure. They went after a military base with the intent to cause harm. I just don’t think you can let that go without repercussions. 

Just leave it be. That’s how these threads get ruined. 
So then what we have is emasculated discussion at the price of discretion? To establish the who and the where is very important, IMO. But I see no need to ruin my night arguing with Yahoo's devolved brand of it. Seems simple: One nation supports state-sponsored terrorism. Another state fights it. The first state attacks a nation-state's military base during a current war. Seems obvious we're

1. At war
  2. In a deep, deep foreign policy crisis.
And now I'll step out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Iranian government felt like it HAD to do this given all the outrage?

heck, could they have called the WH in advance and warned this was coming?

it otherwise just seems so incredibly stupid. 

If Iran is openly at war with the U.S. do they really think they can win? They don't want to be known as push-overs in letting a military leader get killed without retaliation. But beyond this base attack, are they really prepared to fight to the death?

So then what we have is emasculated discussion at the price of discretion? To establish the who and the where is very important, IMO. But I see no need to ruin my night arguing with Yahoo's devolved brand of it. Seems simple: One nation supports state-sponsored terrorism. Another state fights it. The first state attacks a nation-state's military base during a current war. Seems obvious we're

1. At war
  2. In a deep, deep foreign policy crisis.
And now I'll step out.
Please stop with this back and forth.

Didn't they say this was coming...explicitly?

I love how Iran is like, “Do not retaliate against us.” 

Look. Ayatollah. Bubbie. I’m not sure you’re in a position to make demands. It’s over, Anakin. We have the high ground. 

There is not a country on the planet that would sit there and not react to one one their top government. officials getting assassinated in a third party country without clearance from that third party country.  I’m certainly not defending Iran here—but there is an old saying that says “don’t play with the Lion’s tail if you are not wiling to get hurt”.   I’m certainly not defending Iran—but the blame goes both ways.   At this point—we just have to hope that both sides start thinking with their brains and de-escalate things.  

I’m surprised there aren’t like defensive Patriot missiles or something to knock down these kinds of things?
I get the sense (completely speculating) that we have a bunch of ####holes in the desert that are like makeshift bases for coalition forces. Iranians knew this and fired at some of them. 

Iraq is warning that if there is retaliation from the two waves that 3rd wave will destroy Dubai and Haifa. Jesus.

There are runways and such on military bases.
These missiles are not that smart. They are not laser guided or precise. If you fire it at a base, you know there’s a very good chance you are killing people. 

These aren’t smart bombs dropped from a bomber. 

The Iranian parliament approved bill on Tuesday that designates United States military forces as terrorists, days after American airstrikes killed top Iranian military leader General Qassem Soleimani in Iraq. The bill is similar to the action the U.S. took last year when the Trump administration designated Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a foreign terrorist organization.

Members of parliament passed the bill declaring the U.S. military and the Pentagon terrorist entities, according to Iranian state media. Under the bill, the Iranian government will also provide $220 million to the IRGC to "reinforce its defense power in vengeance for General Soleimani's assassination," the news agency reported, as tensions between the U.S. and Iran rise.

So IRAN is now using our reason for the "assassination"

I asked my son in law about that.  He served in Afghanistan and he said we don't have them deployed all over the place.  They probably didn't have them in place anticipating an attack from Iran.  

There are no reports of casualties. Lets hope it stays that way.
If Iran shows a flashy attack on a US base on state TV for their people to save face - is that a fair trade from the U.S. perspective?

I asked my son in law about that.  He served in Afghanistan and he said we don't have them deployed all over the place.  They probably didn't have them in place anticipating an attack from Iran.  
Plus they aren’t cheap. Up until now, Iran has been lobbing mortars into Iraq. Missiles are a huge escalation. 

This goes to show they are nothing but terrorists. What country says “If you retaliate against us, we’ll attack countries not involved in this conflict.”
I think we have have launched fighter jets from those countries. Earlier Iran was warning if other countries allow US military to attack from their countries then they will become targets. At this point the whole ME is a giant board open for attacks. It’s a mess.

There are no reports of casualties. Lets hope it stays that way.
If Iran shows a flashy attack on a US base on state TV for their people to save face - is that a fair trade from the U.S. perspective?
For me, yes. It’s preferable to back and forth retaliation and escalation. 

I think we have have launched fighter jets from those countries. Earlier Iran was warning if other countries allow US military to attack from their countries then they will become targets. At this point the whole ME is a giant board open for attacks. It’s a mess.
All because of Iran. 

I am in CZ this week and watching the news all night. It was just reported (Not sure which network as I am limited to CNBC, BBC World, Bloomberg and SKY News for English channels) that Patriot missiles were not deployed at the targeted bases. No reason mentioned. Civil airlines starting to divert flights around Iran now.

Users who are viewing this thread