What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is David Wilson a sell-high? (2 Viewers)

Eminence

Footballguy
There's no player I have more question marks on than David Wilson.The first game of his career, he fumbled. He's shown a lot of flash and ability on Kick Returns but then again so has Leon Washington. He is quick but I never see him make anybody miss, spin, or juke anyone out. He doesn't really have one "football move" that sticks out to me.Wilson average 5.0 Yards Per Carry last-year which is promising, however Andre Brown ran for 5.3 Yard Per Carry on more carries.Wilson had 71 carries and scored 4 Touchdowns.

Brown had 73 carries and scored 8 Touchdowns.Personally, I thought David Wilson looked AWFUL catching passes last-year. Complete body-catcher. I give the guy a lot of credit he takes a lot of contact, has very good balance, and can hit the homerun.His play reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew, they probably have about the same amount of breakaway speed. But when Wilson goes for contact, a lot of times he doesn't get any push forward.Despite all this, people are willing to pay alot for this kid in Dynasty. I think I might be selling, thoughts?

There's no player I have more question marks on than David Wilson.The first game of his career, he fumbled. He's shown a lot of flash and ability on Kick Returns but then again so has Leon Washington. He is quick but I never see him make anybody miss, spin, or juke anyone out. He doesn't really have one "football move" that sticks out to me.Wilson average 5.0 Yards Per Carry last-year which is promising, however Andre Brown ran for 5.3 Yard Per Carry on more carries.Wilson had 71 carries and scored 4 Touchdowns.

Brown had 73 carries and scored 8 Touchdowns.Personally, I thought David Wilson looked AWFUL catching passes last-year. Complete body-catcher. I give the guy a lot of credit he takes a lot of contact, has very good balance, and can hit the homerun.His play reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew, they probably have about the same amount of breakaway speed. But when Wilson goes for contact, a lot of times he doesn't get any push forward.Despite all this, people are willing to pay alot for this kid in Dynasty. I think I might be selling, thoughts?
Is Andrew Luck a sell high?

May be one of the most overrated players in FF right now. I think owners next season will probably be very disappointed. Beyond that, who knows...

Yeah, because that's a valid comparison. :rolleyes:

Eye roll aside, it's a comparison in the sense that you hang on to young talent like this, not get rid of it. I think David Wilson has stud written all over him, just as Luck does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilson was a rookie and in Coughlin's dog house majortiy of the season last year. Because of that, we have very little NFL experience to go off of but his measurables are fantastic and he made it clear in that little playing time that he is threat from anywhere on the field. If you don't believe in his talent then sell but IMO you'll regret it. I'm holding with anticiaption and high expectations. People would be buying with the same, so I'm sure you could get a decent amount in return, but I don't think there's many current players out there that have a ceiling as high as Wilson's that you could get in return.

Eye roll aside, it's a comparison in the sense that you hang on to young talent like this, not get rid of it. I think David Wilson has stud written all over him, just as Luck does.
Luck has much more track record to look at. Wilson has glimpses. I agree he looks like he could be very good. Could be. Luck is a much more sure fire prospect after what he did in 16 starts his rookie season compared to what percentage of plays Wilson participated? And Luck has no competition. Has no turnover issues. Has nobody else on the team that did just as well if not better with his playing time. A lot more to look at than just possible talent

I owned the guy in two leagues last year. I sold him in one for Morris and Flacco. In the other, I have held onto him. I think he has huge potential, but there's also Brown there who looked almost as good and has the trust of the coaching staff. I'm a tweener on the guy.

What's you basis for comparing Wilson with Luck?

Andre Brown had injuries throughout his college career, and in just his first 75 carries of his NFL career he's already had a concussion and broken his leg. Andre Brown might be able to steal TDs from Wilson as a goal line back, but I see no reason to believe Brown can stay healthy getting given a starter's amount of carries on anything but an inconsistent basis.

Ask yourself these few questions:

1) Go back and look at the list RBs drafted in the 1st round in the NFL draft over the last several years. Aside from the fact that there are some incredibly talented names on that list, you'll also notice that, with very few exceptions (Ingram probably being the main one and could change this year), they've all been giving a shot at the starting RB job. Doesn't mean they all did well with it, but barring injuries or terrible performance, 1st round RBs will be given the shot to be the starter. End of story.

2) How has the NYG running game done over the last few years? Go look at Tiki, Bradshaw, Jacobs, Brown, Ware over the last several years. In particular, notice the cumulative numbers. You'll find that it's one of the few constants in the NFL (like New Orleans passing game)

3) Do you think the NYG have confidence in him? Did they bring anyone in to compete with carries? Just because Andre Brown makes a statement about himself doesn't mean the staff feels the same way.

4) And the most important question of all -- If Wilson does ANYTHING remotely above average (let's say 240 carries for 1100 yards and 8 TDs along with another 30 receptions for 200 yards and 1 TD), what do you think happens to his value? Will there be many other desirable dynasty RBs given the fact he's only 22 years old? FWIW, L. McCoy had 1080 rushing yards and 7 TDs in his 2nd year as the starter. He also added 78 receptions for 592 which certainly added to it, but even without that, McCoy was instantly an untouchable asset.

He has elite measurables. He was a 1st round draft pick by an organization that knows what they are doing both in the draft and in particular in the run game. He's only 22 years old. And he passes the eye test pretty easily, IMO.

Move Wilson at your own peril.

1) Go back and look at the list RBs drafted in the 1st round in the NFL draft over the last several years. Aside from the fact that there are some incredibly talented names on that list, you'll also notice that, with very few exceptions (Ingram probably being the main one and could change this year), they've all been giving a shot at the starting RB job. Doesn't mean they all did well with it, but barring injuries or terrible performance, 1st round RBs will be given the shot to be the starter. End of story.

2) How has the NYG running game done over the last few years? Go look at Tiki, Bradshaw, Jacobs, Brown, Ware over the last several years. In particular, notice the cumulative numbers. You'll find that it's one of the few constants in the NFL (like New Orleans passing game)

3) Do you think the NYG have confidence in him? Did they bring anyone in to compete with carries? Just because Andre Brown makes a statement about himself doesn't mean the staff feels the same way.

4) And the most important question of all -- If Wilson does ANYTHING remotely above average (let's say 240 carries for 1100 yards and 8 TDs along with another 30 receptions for 200 yards and 1 TD), what do you think happens to his value? Will there be many other desirable dynasty RBs given the fact he's only 22 years old? FWIW, L. McCoy had 1080 rushing yards and 7 TDs in his 2nd year as the starter. He also added 78 receptions for 592 which certainly added to it, but even without that, McCoy was instantly an untouchable asset.

He has elite measurables. He was a 1st round draft pick by an organization that knows what they are doing both in the draft and in particular in the run game. He's only 22 years old. And he passes the eye test pretty easily, IMO.

:goodposting:

I think it's still a good question. Gianmarco asked how much higher can he get? Well, FBGs has him ranked @ RB12. That's pretty damned high for a guy with no NFL resume other than being benched for a fumbling problem. I don't think an average showing would boost him much higher. He could be the next LeSean McCoy. He could also be the next Reggie Bush. But I know he's never going to be the next Adrian Peterson or Trent Richardson.

I think it's still a good question. Gianmarco asked how much higher can he get? Well, FBGs has him ranked @ RB12. That's pretty damned high for a guy with no NFL resume other than being benched for a fumbling problem. I don't think an average showing would boost him much higher. He could be the next LeSean McCoy. He could also be the next Reggie Bush. But I know he's never going to be the next Adrian Peterson or Trent Richardson.
He could definitely be better than Richardson, who averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

Normally I'd say no, of course you don't sell a young 1st round RB in a good situation. But in this case, there seem to be a bunch of people who are IMO unrealistically high on Wilson -- ranking a guy with his limited resume as a fantasy RB1 definitely seems premature to me. He looked good last year, sure, but so did Brown, and the Giants haven't featured one guy exclusively since Tiki Barber was in his prime. I wouldn't be looking to dump him or anything, but I'd guess that quite a few leagues have owners that look exclusively at his age and pedigree and are willing to pay without factoring in the risk involved.

If David Wilson puts up a 275 in PPR in either of the next two years (and I think he will), with his age and electric running style, he will be in the conversation as being the #1 RB in dynasty (which is where I will likely have him ranked). ETA: RB12 is not high at all imo. In 3 DFWC startups I am in, he has gone 2.8, 2.8, 2.6 as RB10, RB10 and RB11. And even that is too low.

If David Wilson puts up a 275 in PPR in either of the next two years (and I think he will), with his age and electric running style, he will be in the conversation as being the #1 RB in dynasty (which is where I will likely have him ranked). ETA: RB12 is not high at all imo. In 3 DFWC startups I am in, he has gone 2.8, 2.8, 2.6 as RB10, RB10 and RB11. And even that is too low.
So you're a "no".

I think the fact that he has reportedly improved his pass blocking (more of the reason why he was in the doghouse than the fumbling really) is a very good sign for his ability and potential to be a factor back.

I'd hold onto him unless he struggles with pass pro during the pre-season or early in the year.

Personally, I own him in one league and I'm not really interested in dealing him right now. Absent injury, I don't see his value going down much and if he gets some good publicity during pre-season, his value will heat up even more. I don't think now is the time to maximize the value.

There's no player I have more question marks on than David Wilson.The first game of his career, he fumbled. He's shown a lot of flash and ability on Kick Returns but then again so has Leon Washington. He is quick but I never see him make anybody miss, spin, or juke anyone out. He doesn't really have one "football move" that sticks out to me.Wilson average 5.0 Yards Per Carry last-year which is promising, however Andre Brown ran for 5.3 Yard Per Carry on more carries.Wilson had 71 carries and scored 4 Touchdowns.Brown had 73 carries and scored 8 Touchdowns.Personally, I thought David Wilson looked AWFUL catching passes last-year. Complete body-catcher. I give the guy a lot of credit he takes a lot of contact, has very good balance, and can hit the homerun.His play reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew, they probably have about the same amount of breakaway speed. But when Wilson goes for contact, a lot of times he doesn't get any push forward.Despite all this, people are willing to pay alot for this kid in Dynasty. I think I might be selling, thoughts?
LOL How bout is Lamar Miller a sell high?

:goodposting: The only players I'd move Wilson for are a dynasty top 10 WR or top 6 QB. Trading him for less than that is just a senseless risk.

Even at his high price it's tough to call him a sell high with the current lack of young RB's in the league. He's just several months older than Bernard, Bell and Lattimore.

I can't get a good read on this guy. He could be a stud after this season, or he could be borderline worthless.

I think there was a time toward the end of last season that Wilson was a buy low. Unfortunately, dynasty owners go crazy for youth in the offseason, and that has spiked his price drastically, to the point that I think you might be right. He might be a sell high at this point.

The guy who owns him in my league received offers from 5 teams over the course of a week (including myself), he rejected them all, and it has inflated his value to him even more.

Personally, I own him in one league and I'm not really interested in dealing him right now. Absent injury, I don't see his value going down much and if he gets some good publicity during pre-season, his value will heat up even more. I don't think now is the time to maximize the value.
I agree that his value will only continue to rise this offseason. Think Ryan Mathews (disclaimer: not saying they are similar players).

I can't get a good read on this guy. He could be a stud after this season, or he could be borderline worthless.

I think there was a time toward the end of last season that Wilson was a buy low. Unfortunately, dynasty owners go crazy for youth in the offseason, and that has spiked his price drastically, to the point that I think you might be right. He might be a sell high at this point.

The guy who owns him in my league received offers from 5 teams over the course of a week (including myself), he rejected them all, and it has inflated his value to him even more.
:no:

Even if he doesn't get the full-time gig this year, there is ZERO chance he becomes worthless short of losing a leg or going out and averaging 2.2 ypc.

If you can sell an unproven guy you got much cheaper last year at a mid RB1 price to a believer that would be a good move. Much less and you probably see how he does. Can he stay healthy? How much will Brown contribute? Is he Spiller or Mathews or worse J-Stewart.

I can't get a good read on this guy. He could be a stud after this season, or he could be borderline worthless. I think there was a time toward the end of last season that Wilson was a buy low. Unfortunately, dynasty owners go crazy for youth in the offseason, and that has spiked his price drastically, to the point that I think you might be right. He might be a sell high at this point. The guy who owns him in my league received offers from 5 teams over the course of a week (including myself), he rejected them all, and it has inflated his value to him even more.
Worthless? Even Ryan Mathews isn't worthless and he's been more bad than good.

In a Superflex I recently traded away (David Wilson + Sam Bradford) for (Trent Richardson + Greg McElroy)

Wilson might hit and that could tilt this trade away from me. However I don't have him close to Trent Richardson yet. In a Superflex format this fair didn't seem that far out of whack to me. I am in the window for sure. And the other team took last place last year because he didn't stay on top of his roster. (Got married and had his first baby so I guess he gets a pass).

There's no player I have more question marks on than David Wilson.The first game of his career, he fumbled. He's shown a lot of flash and ability on Kick Returns but then again so has Leon Washington. He is quick but I never see him make anybody miss, spin, or juke anyone out. He doesn't really have one "football move" that sticks out to me.Wilson average 5.0 Yards Per Carry last-year which is promising, however Andre Brown ran for 5.3 Yard Per Carry on more carries.Wilson had 71 carries and scored 4 Touchdowns.Brown had 73 carries and scored 8 Touchdowns.Personally, I thought David Wilson looked AWFUL catching passes last-year. Complete body-catcher. I give the guy a lot of credit he takes a lot of contact, has very good balance, and can hit the homerun.His play reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew, they probably have about the same amount of breakaway speed. But when Wilson goes for contact, a lot of times he doesn't get any push forward.Despite all this, people are willing to pay alot for this kid in Dynasty. I think I might be selling, thoughts?
I think you are way off base. Your concerned that a rookie, in his first game, put the ball on the ground? It's not that unusual. I don't see the comparison to Andre Brown either. Very different roles last year... And it can take time to adjust to NFL, after all, these guys are very young men (kids?) entering the league. Young player, very good measurables in an offense that has produced good fantasy RB numbers... I like him better than anyone in this year's rookie crop. Sell high? I guess that depends on what you think you can get for him. Do you have an offer on the table?

I agree. There isn't anyone in this class that I'd take for Wilson. I wouldn't take anyone in this class for Lamar Miller either.

There's no player I have more question marks on than David Wilson.

The first game of his career, he fumbled. He's shown a lot of flash and ability on Kick Returns but then again so has Leon Washington. He is quick but I never see him make anybody miss, spin, or juke anyone out. He doesn't really have one "football move" that sticks out to me.

Wilson average 5.0 Yards Per Carry last-year which is promising, however Andre Brown ran for 5.3 Yard Per Carry on more carries.

Wilson had 71 carries and scored 4 Touchdowns.

Brown had 73 carries and scored 8 Touchdowns.

Personally, I thought David Wilson looked AWFUL catching passes last-year. Complete body-catcher. I give the guy a lot of credit he takes a lot of contact, has very good balance, and can hit the homerun.

His play reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew, they probably have about the same amount of breakaway speed. But when Wilson goes for contact, a lot of times he doesn't get any push forward.

Despite all this, people are willing to pay alot for this kid in Dynasty. I think I might be selling, thoughts?
Since it appears that you wrote this without ever seeing David Wilson play ... I will provide you with this link below.

No Forward Push? Ask Lofton and the Saints if they agree

No Jukes, No Spins, no ability to make people miss? Count em . ... there is more in his partial season highlights then most RBs career highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

I can't get a good read on this guy. He could be a stud after this season, or he could be borderline worthless. I think there was a time toward the end of last season that Wilson was a buy low. Unfortunately, dynasty owners go crazy for youth in the offseason, and that has spiked his price drastically, to the point that I think you might be right. He might be a sell high at this point. The guy who owns him in my league received offers from 5 teams over the course of a week (including myself), he rejected them all, and it has inflated his value to him even more.
Worthless? Even Ryan Mathews isn't worthless and he's been more bad than good.
heck Jonathon Stewart has 5 or 6 years of teasing and is still commanding 1st rounders.

If David Wilson puts up a 275 in PPR in either of the next two years (and I think he will), with his age and electric running style, he will be in the conversation as being the #1 RB in dynasty (which is where I will likely have him ranked).
Ummm... I'd sell to this guy.

Is it possible that Wilson ends up being an RB1 (which is different than THE #1 dynasty RB) - sure. It's possible. But given several factors (including the Giants continual reliance on a two back attack, Brown's solid and at times, outstanding play, the fact that Wilson didn't even see 10 carries or more in a game until December last season - and that was only with Bradshaw and Brown sidelined due to injury) - I could easily see him slip into a solid RB2 role as the lead guy in a RBBC, used similarly to the way Bradshaw had been used, with Brown playing Jacobs' role.

All of that said if someone was as high on Wilson as the poster quoted above (who apparently thinks Wilson is virtually a lock to be the next CJ2K) - I would definitely move a guy that has had 12 or more carries only 3 times in his NFL career if I could get RB1 value for him - as he is no lock for that type of play as of now.

Don't get me wrong - I like Wilson's upside. But not enough that I'd turn down a trade that had him valued as a dynasty RB1.

People also underestimate how important his pass protection issues were to his lack of touches early on. I don't know why people keep remarking on or thinking the fumble alone caused his early season skid.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/04/giants_may_have_considered_bra.html

Ingram also said Wilson has improved in his pass protection, an important facet of the game that limited Wilson's playing time as a rookie.

"He’s got to learn to become more of a protector, which he has been working on," Ingram said. "We’ve tested him within the system, he did well a week ago, knowing what we’re doing and how to protect. Now he’s physically learned how to protect his quarterback, and he’s looking forward to the challenge, which so far I’m pretty excited about where he is right now."

Seems that most think selling at low RB1 value on Wilson is "selling high" based on the risk that he busts. What about the risk of older RBs in the RB1 range of dynasty value right now declining, while Wilson is stabilized or ascending?

But given several factors (including the Giants continual reliance on a two back attack
This keeps getting repeated by many and it's simply not true. I already wrote about this in the other Wilson thread but will go ahead and copy and paste it into here too so that we can dispel this notion that the Giants employ a 2 RB system as somewhat of a negative for the lead back:

Where does this myth come from? It's simply not true.Tom Coughlin has been the coach of the NYG since 2004. We have 9 years worth of history to show what he likes to do.2004 -- Barber 322 carries2005 -- Barber 357 carries2006 -- Barber 327 carries2007 -- Jacobs 202 carries (only 11 games) -- on pace for 293 carries2008 -- Jacobs 219 carries (only 13 games) -- on pace for 270 carries2009 -- Jacobs 224 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 249 carries2010 -- Bradshaw 276 carries2011 -- Bradshaw 171 carries2012 -- Bradshaw 221 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 252 carriesSo, Jacobs did not play a full season when he was finally named the starter and was "splitting" with Bradshaw. With the exception of 2011, when Jacobs and Bradshaw both had 150-170 carries, the lead back has had or was on pace aside from injury to have 250 carries in 8 of the 9 years. In 5 of the 9 years, the lead back was at 270+ carries for the year.Coughlin doesn't have a tendency to have this "thunder and lightning" approach. In fact, the 2nd back has almost always had 150 carries or less (a few times under 100 carries).Can we please stop with this myth. If anything, Coughlin actually commits to a lead RB more than most coaches, especially since he's done it with Tiki, Jacobs, and Bradshaw (3 different guys) so it's not as if he did it preferentially with just one RB.ETA--And for those concerned about Wilson's size, since I've seen that mentioned:Tiki Barber -- 5'10, 205 lbsDavid Wilson -- 5'10, 206 lbsA. Bradshaw -- 5'10, 214 lbs

But given several factors (including the Giants continual reliance on a two back attack
This keeps getting repeated by many and it's simply not true. I already wrote about this in the other Wilson thread but will go ahead and copy and paste it into here too so that we can dispel this notion that the Giants employ a 2 RB system as somewhat of a negative for the lead back:

Where does this myth come from? It's simply not true.Tom Coughlin has been the coach of the NYG since 2004. We have 9 years worth of history to show what he likes to do.2004 -- Barber 322 carries2005 -- Barber 357 carries2006 -- Barber 327 carries2007 -- Jacobs 202 carries (only 11 games) -- on pace for 293 carries2008 -- Jacobs 219 carries (only 13 games) -- on pace for 270 carries2009 -- Jacobs 224 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 249 carries2010 -- Bradshaw 276 carries2011 -- Bradshaw 171 carries2012 -- Bradshaw 221 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 252 carriesSo, Jacobs did not play a full season when he was finally named the starter and was "splitting" with Bradshaw. With the exception of 2011, when Jacobs and Bradshaw both had 150-170 carries, the lead back has had or was on pace aside from injury to have 250 carries in 8 of the 9 years. In 5 of the 9 years, the lead back was at 270+ carries for the year.Coughlin doesn't have a tendency to have this "thunder and lightning" approach. In fact, the 2nd back has almost always had 150 carries or less (a few times under 100 carries).Can we please stop with this myth. If anything, Coughlin actually commits to a lead RB more than most coaches, especially since he's done it with Tiki, Jacobs, and Bradshaw (3 different guys) so it's not as if he did it preferentially with just one RB.ETA--And for those concerned about Wilson's size, since I've seen that mentioned:Tiki Barber -- 5'10, 205 lbsDavid Wilson -- 5'10, 206 lbsA. Bradshaw -- 5'10, 214 lbs
Now instead of carries look at TDs.

bonesman said:
gianmarco said:
DoubleG said:
This keeps getting repeated by many and it's simply not true. I already wrote about this in the other Wilson thread but will go ahead and copy and paste it into here too so that we can dispel this notion that the Giants employ a 2 RB system as somewhat of a negative for the lead back: Where does this myth come from? It's simply not true.Tom Coughlin has been the coach of the NYG since 2004. We have 9 years worth of history to show what he likes to do.2004 -- Barber 322 carries2005 -- Barber 357 carries2006 -- Barber 327 carries2007 -- Jacobs 202 carries (only 11 games) -- on pace for 293 carries2008 -- Jacobs 219 carries (only 13 games) -- on pace for 270 carries2009 -- Jacobs 224 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 249 carries2010 -- Bradshaw 276 carries2011 -- Bradshaw 171 carries2012 -- Bradshaw 221 carries (only 14 games) -- on pace for 252 carriesSo, Jacobs did not play a full season when he was finally named the starter and was "splitting" with Bradshaw. With the exception of 2011, when Jacobs and Bradshaw both had 150-170 carries, the lead back has had or was on pace aside from injury to have 250 carries in 8 of the 9 years. In 5 of the 9 years, the lead back was at 270+ carries for the year.Coughlin doesn't have a tendency to have this "thunder and lightning" approach. In fact, the 2nd back has almost always had 150 carries or less (a few times under 100 carries).Can we please stop with this myth. If anything, Coughlin actually commits to a lead RB more than most coaches, especially since he's done it with Tiki, Jacobs, and Bradshaw (3 different guys) so it's not as if he did it preferentially with just one RB.ETA--And for those concerned about Wilson's size, since I've seen that mentioned:Tiki Barber -- 5'10, 205 lbsDavid Wilson -- 5'10, 206 lbsA. Bradshaw -- 5'10, 214 lbs
Now instead of carries look at TDs.
We could, but what's the point? Even if they have another rb as the goal line guy, that's far less an issue than the lead guy getting 250+ carries. Bradshaw scored plenty. Wilson had 4 tds last year on only 70 carries. Point is, the lead RB in NY will have plenty of opportunity to put up big numbers.

Chad Parsons said:
Seems that most think selling at low RB1 value on Wilson is "selling high" based on the risk that he busts. What about the risk of older RBs in the RB1 range of dynasty value right now declining, while Wilson is stabilized or ascending?
I don't see how that's relevant to Wilson's value. Just because RBs ahead of Wilson may drop doesn't mean Wilson will be the RB replacing them.

Chad Parsons said:
You bring up a good point.Last week I traded for Wilson and most would say I bought high, a point I won't disagree with myself. I gave up Lynch/Turbin and 2014#2. (I would add this is FFPC format so due to smaller roster sizes the 2014#2 is not as valuable as typical leagues and carrying a handcuff that may or not the 100% handcuff or successor is not as desirable as it might be in other leagues)I know I paid a lot but I've got more concerns with Lynch falling off in 2 years or less than I do with Wilson not becoming fantasy relevant. I was also looking at a team specific decision were 2 of my top 3 RB's(Lynch and Reggie) would be classified as most as likely to have significantly reduced value in as little as 2 years so I was excited to be able to turn one of them into what I view as a young stud in the making.Really with regards to Wilson I have zero concerns with the talent. His balance and explosiveness jump out. In terms of fantasy relevance my concern is in his role in the passing game. If he's not catching passes I think he'll simply be a good fantasy RB, a RB2. He'll need to at least evolve into a 30 catch type back IMO to be able to start entering that top 5 kind of discussion.On that note I'd read his pass blocking is improving but still needs work and he needs to work on becoming a better pass catcher. But his speed in space is very Spiller like and that potential can't be ignored. He did not catch many passes last year but one he did catch was impressive, a 15 yard TD against the Eagles. He leaked out of the backfield, caught a LB matched up against him and blew by him like he was flat footed, he was really about 10 yards open in the end zone but Eli was late with the ball but Wilson grabbed it for the TD.

Chad Parsons said:
You bring up a good point.Last week I traded for Wilson and most would say I bought high, a point I won't disagree with myself.I gave up Lynch/Turbin and 2014#2. (I would add this is FFPC format so due to smaller roster sizes the 2014#2 is not as valuable as typical leagues and carrying a handcuff that may or not the 100% handcuff or successor is not as desirable as it might be in other leagues)I know I paid a lot but I've got more concerns with Lynch falling off in 2 years or less than I do with Wilson not becoming fantasy relevant. I was also looking at a team specific decision were 2 of my top 3 RB's(Lynch and Reggie) would be classified as most as likely to have significantly reduced value in as little as 2 years so I was excited to be able to turn one of them into what I view as a young stud in the making.Really with regards to Wilson I have zero concerns with the talent. His balance and explosiveness jump out. In terms of fantasy relevance my concern is in his role in the passing game. If he's not catching passes I think he'll simply be a good fantasy RB, a RB2. He'll need to at least evolve into a 30 catch type back IMO to be able to start entering that top 5 kind of discussion.On that note I'd read his pass blocking is improving but still needs work and he needs to work on becoming a better pass catcher. But his speed in space is very Spiller like and that potential can't be ignored. He did not catch many passes last year but one he did catch was impressive, a 15 yard TD against the Eagles. He leaked out of the backfield, caught a LB matched up against him and blew by him like he was flat footed, he was really about 10 yards open in the end zone but Eli was late with the ball but Wilson grabbed it for the TD.

Particularly the bolded.

I think the uncertainty around Wilson at this time makes it a difficult one to read right now. As Chad Parsons points out, If you do not think Wilson will perform well enough as a lead RB to maintain a heavy workload for multiple seasons, then perhaps this is the time to sell him. If Wilson gets mired in a RBBC or worse gets feature RB carries but is not productive enough with those touches to maintain that workload, then owners will be able to form more of an opinion on him than they have now. If that opinion is Wilson not being a feature RB caliber player then his trade value may be lower than it is right now. At the same time even if Wilson is in a time share in 2013 that does not mean he will not become the feature RB in 2014 if he improves. So given his age I think Wilson in most worst case situations will still maintain 1st round rookie pick type value at least for another year, perhaps longer even if he does not break out this season. If Wilson does perform as a RB 1 in 2013 then I think you will be able to sell him for more at that time than you can right now. If you can get that value for Wilson right now then you may want to do that just to avoid the uncertainty of his career path moving forward.

There are a lot of things in WIlsons favor I think. The Giants have a very good track record with their RB picks. This to me trumps just about everything else. At the same time they have a track record of RBBC also and the team is not as good at run blocking as they were a few seasons back. I kind of hate their pick of Justin Pugh and I am not confident in the run blocking being improved from last season. From what little I have seen of WIlson he does not seem like a guy who can move the pile. He is very fast so a crease will mean big yardage for Wilson but he seems like a guy who is more boom bust in his running style. WIthout a good run blocking Oline I think that hurts Wilson who is not a guy I see blocking for himself or breaking tackles often. I am also not sure about his elusiveness. So I kind of see a situation where the Giants will still want to split WIlsons carries with a guy like Brown who can get tough yards even if the play isn't blocked that well.

I wish I had more faith in Wilson than I do from what little I have seen of him. I have more trust in the Giants organization than I have in what I have seen of WIlson. That makes me a bit doubtful of him as a feature RB long term. I do think he will get that opportunity either this season or next. If the offensive line were in better shape to support him I would have more trust in that being successful enough that the Giants won't bring in another guy (if Brown isnt the answer). But I see Wilson having enough dead plays that it will be some form of time share again after Wilson does get his shot to be the feature RB.

If I were trying to buy Wilson I would likely wait for the Giants to sign a guy like Bradshaw and see if the price goes down. For the same reason I might consider selling Wilson now if I can get a good offer. I don't see much reason to move Wilson as he will likely maintain high value for another 2 seasons and get a chance to be a feature RB. At the same time unless you really believe in Wilsons value long term you might want to move him before people can get more evidence of his potential. If I felt better about the Giants Oline picks meaning a shift to more running plays in near future that would make me like Wilson more than I do also. You might want to wait until Wilson has a big game as you may be able to get more for him after the season has started if things go well for him early on.

Users who are viewing this thread