What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it fair for Raider fans to be bitter about Randy Moss? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
In Oakland, the offense was putrid. No argument. The line didn't give the QB enough time to get Moss the ball. He was frustrated. Can't blame him there. But instead of sticking around to TRY to make things better (you know, maybe living up to the "captain" billing he was given... and what a complete joke that was), he sulks and whines and regularly quits on plays and asks for a trade.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :lmao:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time-great squad.

I'm pissed that clowns like this get to dictate where they play, and how hard they play, and I don't care who knows it.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's very fair to be pissed.

I also think that any Patriots fan who is now loving Moss and is forever forbidden from complaining about Roger Clemens and the way he phoned it in during his final Red Sox years before going on to win repeated Cy Young Awards with Toronto and New York.

I think it's very fair to be pissed.I also think that any Patriots fan who is now loving Moss and is forever forbidden from complaining about Roger Clemens and the way he phoned it in during his final Red Sox years before going on to win repeated Cy Young Awards with Toronto and New York.
:goodposting: Excellent point.As unlikely as it is, I will pray to the Football Gods that Moss never gets a ring.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :boxing:
The team did this to themselves.Moss' problems in Oakland were nothing new. They knew what they were getting. They knew he wouldn't be happy and perform unless the team was good.

I'd be pissed, and I am pissed just on the fact that its the Patsies who got him and for a 4th round pick nonetheless.

He was exactly the same way in Minnesota, playing good and not complaining when the team was going to the playoffs and then sucking and giving up plays when they weren't. I knew all that 'he lost a step' talk in the preseason was BS.

You guys should have gotten 2 first round picks for Moss. A 4th is ludicrous. most 4th round wr's don't last more than 3 years.

...on a side note, how do teams get proven commodities like Walker and Moss for 4th round picks? Even Chambers got a 2nd, and Id say with where SD is that was worth it and a great value trade as well.

I wonder how many Pats fans (not a Pats fan slam, could be any team), talked all manner of crap about Moss until he became a Patriots "team player". It's easy to be a team player on that team, methinks.

I know when the Moss trade rumours were about Atlanta, I didn't really want him because of his attitude. I was probably both right and wrong. He's still a great player (wrong), but in Atlanta, where they'd likely still be an average team with he and Vick, he'd probably be a locker room headache (right).

So yeah, be bitter, but save some of that bitterness for your front office. I know I do.

I'd be pissed, and I am pissed just on the fact that its the Patsies who got him and for a 4th round pick nonetheless.

He was exactly the same way in Minnesota, playing good and not complaining when the team was going to the playoffs and then sucking and giving up plays when they weren't. I knew all that 'he lost a step' talk in the preseason was BS.

You guys should have gotten 2 first round picks for Moss. A 4th is ludicrous. most 4th round wr's don't last more than 3 years.

...on a side note, how do teams get proven commodities like Walker and Moss for 4th round picks? Even Chambers got a 2nd, and Id say with where SD is that was worth it and a great value trade as well.
I assume you mean Welker, and he was a second round pick.

I would be bitter that your owner hung on a decade too long and that team is in such general disarray that outside of a rare lucky year, expect a lot of this for the forseeable future.

As has been mentioned here before, it was addition by subtraction. The compensation was of secondary importance. They didn't want Moss poisoning the locker room with the new coach and QB coming in. If you'll recall, there was some interest from Green Bay and another team or two, but it's not like teams were beating down Oakland's door for the services of a quitter who had lost more than a step. At least that was the perception.

I'd be pissed, and I am pissed just on the fact that its the Patsies who got him and for a 4th round pick nonetheless.He was exactly the same way in Minnesota, playing good and not complaining when the team was going to the playoffs and then sucking and giving up plays when they weren't. I knew all that 'he lost a step' talk in the preseason was BS.You guys should have gotten 2 first round picks for Moss. A 4th is ludicrous. most 4th round wr's don't last more than 3 years....on a side note, how do teams get proven commodities like Walker and Moss for 4th round picks? Even Chambers got a 2nd, and Id say with where SD is that was worth it and a great value trade as well.
The fact that Moss went for a 4th round pick shows just how many questions there were about him. He had an albatross of a contract that no one was going to pay.The Raiders got a 4th round pick from the only team Moss was willing to cut his salary for. otherwise, he was gonna get cut. And the Raiders weren't going to get anything. Moss would have been a free agent, and signed with whoever he wanted. Most of the NFL thought Moss was either a) done as a player, or b) mailing it in. The Pats were one of the few teams that could afford to take the risk, and thought he had something left. Heck, why didn't ANY other team offer a 3rd round pick? I am not even bitter about it. I wanted that scumbag gone so bad, I woulda cut him for nothing. We got a 4th rounder? Fine with me.

I'd be pissed, and I am pissed just on the fact that its the Patsies who got him and for a 4th round pick nonetheless.He was exactly the same way in Minnesota, playing good and not complaining when the team was going to the playoffs and then sucking and giving up plays when they weren't. I knew all that 'he lost a step' talk in the preseason was BS.You guys should have gotten 2 first round picks for Moss. A 4th is ludicrous. most 4th round wr's don't last more than 3 years....on a side note, how do teams get proven commodities like Walker and Moss for 4th round picks? Even Chambers got a 2nd, and Id say with where SD is that was worth it and a great value trade as well.
The fact that Moss went for a 4th round pick shows just how many questions there were about him. He had an albatross of a contract that no one was going to pay.The Raiders got a 4th round pick from the only team Moss was willing to cut his salary for. otherwise, he was gonna get cut. And the Raiders weren't going to get anything. Moss would have been a free agent, and signed with whoever he wanted. Most of the NFL thought Moss was either a) done as a player, or b) mailing it in. The Pats were one of the few teams that could afford to take the risk, and thought he had something left. Heck, why didn't ANY other team offer a 3rd round pick? I am not even bitter about it. I wanted that scumbag gone so bad, I woulda cut him for nothing. We got a 4th rounder? Fine with me.
What he said.

NFL teams currently over value draft picks. It's not just the chance to strike it rich with a good player, it's the chance to strike it rich with a player who you can pay chump change to for 3 years. Moss wasn't worth the money he was pulling down in Oakland, so they bailed. They were in a lose lose situation, they weren't going to get value for him, and he wouldn't play for them while eating up tons of cap space and basically stealing Al's money. So they bailed. I'd have liked to have seen the Pats pay more for him (both in terms of what they paid the Raiders to get him, and what they're paying Moss in salary - remember he reworked his contract to take less money with the Pats), but no other team had the brains to enter the bidding, so they got the steal of the century. Kudos to the Pats, jeers to the rest of the NFL.I guess Raider fans could be bitter about Moss, but I'd be more bitter with the Raider organization which still looks like it doesn't know what it's doing and couldn't be competitive enough to keep Moss interested.

I agree the Raiders needed to get rid of Moss and unfortunately the going price was only a 4th rounder. But I still get pissed whenever I see Moss jump and fight for a ball with NE....when many times it ended as a pick with the Raiders because he simply quit on the ball or the route.

Add me to the list that hopes Moss never gets a ring. IMO he doesn't deserve one.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen.
Are people really saying all these things? I certainly don't think Moss is any more of a team player now than he was with Minnesota or Oakland. The difference is that he has a competent coach, a superstar QB, and better teammates.Do Raider fans really believe that Art Shell, Tom Walsh and Aaron Brooks would have led them to the playoffs if Randy Moss had only given 110%?

I guess Raider fans could be bitter about Moss, but I'd be more bitter with the Raider organization which still looks like it doesn't know what it's doing and couldn't be competitive enough to keep Moss interested.
Warren Sapp, a player who has known more success than Moss ever has, at any level, still managed to be a stud for a 2-14 team.No player on that defense quit all year, even tho they barely had time to get a cup of Gatorade before they were back on the field.The 2006 Raiders were an awful team, but they weren't the first awful team of all time. Moss was in a position that many, many other players have been in, and quit. You wanna use this as a chance to take a shot at the Raiders, knock yourself out. Thewy're an easy target. BUt it kinda sounds like you're defending Moss. Is that the case?BTW, I am actually darn happy with the current Raiders organization.

I guess Raider fans could be bitter about Moss, but I'd be more bitter with the Raider organization which still looks like it doesn't know what it's doing and couldn't be competitive enough to keep Moss interested.
Most teams wouldn't have been "competitve enough" to keep Moss interested last year. Most teams don't make the playoffs.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen.
Are people really saying all these things? I certainly don't think Moss is any more of a team player now than he was with Minnesota or Oakland. The difference is that he has a competent coach, a superstar QB, and better teammates.Do Raider fans really believe that Art Shell, Tom Walsh and Aaron Brooks would have led them to the playoffs if Randy Moss had only given 110%?
Are Raiders fans really saying these things? No? Then why ask the question?

Still, fans of 30 teams (including my WR-starved Jags) have to be bitter that their teams wouldn't ante up better than a 4th for Randy Moss.

The pick was 110 and Jax took punter Adam Podelesh at 101. Genius!

Are people really saying all these things?
Positively. I live in Rhode Island, 30 minutes from Foxboro. We have two sports talk stations (WSKO/WEEI) who talk Pats most of the day It makes me physically ill hearing every day about what a swell guy Randy Moss is. Boy... what a TEAM PLAYER!!!

I assume you mean Welker, and he was a second round pick.
No, I meant Javon Walker who Im pretty sure was a 4th round pick

I wasted a spot in my dynasty league last year to hold on to Moss. Never held it against Randy. I always placed the blame squarely on the "Commitment to Incompetence" that surrounded him in Oakland . . .

I think it's absoluely fair to be bitter about Randy Moss if you are a Raider fan. I'd probably be double bitter, both toward Moss and also toward management for creating the climate in which Moss could act the way he did while in Oakland. If the Raiders were a competitive team, it's likely Moss wouldn't have acted and played the way he did in those two seasons.

Still, fans of 30 teams (including my WR-starved Jags) have to be bitter that their teams wouldn't ante up better than a 4th for Randy Moss. The pick was 110 and Jax took punter Adam Podelesh at 101. Genius!
The problem is that Randy Moss had an enormous contract and wouldn't take a pay cut to play for any other team. New England is paying him $3 million. Anyone else would've had to pay $9.75 million. At that price, you're paying about fair market value for Moss, and giving up a draft pick, and assuming all the risk and baggage that comes with him.

Oakland has no right to be mad at Moss, they did nothing to put him in a position to succeed.

If anything Moss should be mad at Oakland for ruining years of a HOF career where he was on pace to make a run at Jerry Rice's records.

Oakland ruined Moss, not the other way around.

Warren Sapp, a player who has known more success than Moss ever has, at any level, still managed to be a stud for a 2-14 team.No player on that defense quit all year, even tho they barely had time to get a cup of Gatorade before they were back on the field.The 2006 Raiders were an awful team, but they weren't the first awful team of all time. Moss was in a position that many, many other players have been in, and quit. You wanna use this as a chance to take a shot at the Raiders, knock yourself out. Thewy're an easy target. BUt it kinda sounds like you're defending Moss. Is that the case?BTW, I am actually darn happy with the current Raiders organization.
I don't know what your definition of a stud is, but Warren Sapp 2006 doesn't fit any definition of stud I find useful. He didn't quit, I'll give you that.I don't need to take shots at the Raider organization. I have friends who are Raider fans and I feel somewhat sorry for them due to what the franchise has become. I used to respect the Raider organization. But I'm just being honest, they've been a bad organization for at least 5 years now. Trading FOR Moss in the first place was a bad move, signing Warren Sapp was a bad move, pinning hopes to Kerry Colins and Aaron Brooks when the offensive line is a disaster area were bad moves, drafting Jamarcus Russell was a bad move, hiring Art Shell was a bad move, hiring Kiffin is probably a bad move, etc., etc. I'm not defending Moss, he shouldn't have quit on the team, and he's got some major character flaws to go along with his major talent. I'm saying the Raider organization is as much to blame for the mess as Moss was, so if people want to be bitter about it, there's plenty of targets for the bitterness, not just Moss.

Oakland has no right to be mad at Moss, they did nothing to put him in a position to succeed.If anything Moss should be mad at Oakland for ruining years of a HOF career where he was on pace to make a run at Jerry Rice's records.Oakland ruined Moss, not the other way around.
Interesting perspective. Still no excuse for him blatantly dogging it. If you're getting paid, EARN your paycheck. :lmao:

Trading FOR Moss in the first place was a bad move, signing Warren Sapp was a bad move, pinning hopes to Kerry Colins and Aaron Brooks when the offensive line is a disaster area were bad moves, drafting Jamarcus Russell was a bad move, hiring Art Shell was a bad move, hiring Kiffin is probably a bad move...
:confused: Please elaborate on the two bolded parts.

I couldn't be happier so far with Kiffin, and I think Russell has a tremendously bright future.

Trading FOR Moss in the first place was a bad move, signing Warren Sapp was a bad move, pinning hopes to Kerry Colins and Aaron Brooks when the offensive line is a disaster area were bad moves, drafting Jamarcus Russell was a bad move, hiring Art Shell was a bad move, hiring Kiffin is probably a bad move...
:confused: Please elaborate on the two bolded parts.

I couldn't be happier so far with Kiffin, and I think Russell has a tremendously bright future.
We've had this discussion before. I Kiffin had little to no qualifications going in, the offensive line is playing better, but apart from that this Raider team hasn't looked that much different from last year's. In fact the defense looks worse than last year to me.As for Russel, for one I think he was a flash in the pan who cashed in on 6 good games at the end of his season, I don't see NFL QB skills in him apart from being able to throw the ball really far, and I think there were better players they could have used that pick and spent that money on.

Time will tell.

NFL teams currently over value draft picks. It's not just the chance to strike it rich with a good player, it's the chance to strike it rich with a player who you can pay chump change to for 3 years. Moss wasn't worth the money he was pulling down in Oakland, so they bailed. They were in a lose lose situation, they weren't going to get value for him, and he wouldn't play for them while eating up tons of cap space and basically stealing Al's money. So they bailed. I'd have liked to have seen the Pats pay more for him (both in terms of what they paid the Raiders to get him, and what they're paying Moss in salary - remember he reworked his contract to take less money with the Pats), but no other team had the brains to enter the bidding, so they got the steal of the century. Kudos to the Pats, jeers to the rest of the NFL.I guess Raider fans could be bitter about Moss, but I'd be more bitter with the Raider organization which still looks like it doesn't know what it's doing and couldn't be competitive enough to keep Moss interested.
That and it's timing. Players typically go for higher draft picks after teams cut down to 53 players and during the season. After teams cut down, they're usually settled in regards to their salary cap. Any team that needs/wants an emergency fix to salvage their season (like the Chargers) have to be willing to pay a higher pick. Chambers would not have garnered a second rounder leading up to the NFL draft. Leading up to the draft and leading up to a final roster deadline, a players' value is lower in relation to draft picks. This is because draft picks represent cheap depth for teams and also other teams are prone to wait it out since so many talented players get cut anyway. Remember a couple years ago when word on the street was that the Seahawks were trying to shop Alexander leading up to the draft and no one was willing to give a second rounder for him? That said...I'm a Raiders fan and I always loved watching Moss play. Yeah, I'm disappointed seeing how he suddenly is playing like the old Moss... but more than blame him, I blame Art Shell (and Al Davis for making a HUGE mistake in hiring him). Moss performed for Turner but then got hurt. Shell came in a hired a moron to run the offense and lost the entire team. Ultimately, it stings but Moss had to go. I've felt all along that Kiffin could have got Moss to perform... but I understand the team not wanting to take that risk with a new, young coach. They just couldn't run the risk. It's like watching Rasheed Wallace win a ring with the Pistons. His time in Portland was done and as much as I hated to admit it, he had to go.

I think you can be bitter - but it is still more Oaklands fault than R Moss's.

He is an extreme talent - and i think players in general are not enamored w/ front offices. Especially when the organization is having that many problems. They couldn't barely get off a play on offense.

Oakland is unfortunately a train wreck - or at least was.

Yes - he could have gutted it out a bit better and others did but put yourself in his shoes. If your company constantly made bone head errors and you never got any sales commissions because they kept failing at some point you would stop trying hard and look elsewhere.

And money is not the issue - he has plenty most likely. Yes they want to get paid as much as possible - but I am sure the ring is PRICELESS.

Count me as one who feels like the Raiders have no reason to be bitter.

For a large part of the time Randy was there, he was hurt. They waited until he was healthy again, and dealt him. They could have tried to see if he fit with the new (better) coaching as he came into health, but they were impatient and because the team was fragile (and bad), they didn't see it fit to risk having him on the team.

Credit the Patriots for being a strong team that could withstand any problems with Randy.

Raiders = Poor organization

Patriots = Strong organization with annoying fans

In Oakland, the offense was putrid. No argument. The line didn't give the QB enough time to get Moss the ball. He was frustrated. Can't blame him there. But instead of sticking around to TRY to make things better (you know, maybe living up to the "captain" billing he was given... and what a complete joke that was), he sulks and whines and regularly quits on plays and asks for a trade.

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :rolleyes:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time great squad.

I'm pissed that clowns like this get to dictate where they play, and how hard they play, and I don't care who knows it.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :hot:
It is well documented by my posts on this board that the Raiders are my least favorite NFL team(see my posts about Al Davis). However, the Raiders definitely got jobbed by Moss. He help destroy the fragile team morale they had. I don't think you are off base at all, Raidernation. I generally like the Patriots, but I do think it would be cosmic justice if Moss got frustrated in the playoffs and caused them to lose a game(therefore eliminating them) with his historical bad attitude.

I agree the Raiders needed to get rid of Moss and unfortunately the going price was only a 4th rounder. But I still get pissed whenever I see Moss jump and fight for a ball with NE....when many times it ended as a pick with the Raiders because he simply quit on the ball or the route. Add me to the list that hopes Moss never gets a ring. IMO he doesn't deserve one.
:rolleyes:

Oakland has no right to be mad at Moss, they did nothing to put him in a position to succeed.If anything Moss should be mad at Oakland for ruining years of a HOF career where he was on pace to make a run at Jerry Rice's records.Oakland ruined Moss, not the other way around.
:hot: :rolleyes: LHUCKS, is that you?

Most teams wouldn't have been "competitve enough" to keep Moss interested last year. Most teams don't make the playoffs.
Right. And most teams didn't try to trade for Moss because they were smart enough to realize they weren't going to keep him interested. Al Davis was not smart enough to realize this.
Interesting perspective. Still no excuse for him blatantly dogging it. If you're getting paid, EARN your paycheck. :thumbup:
I think most everyone will agree that they think people should earn their paycheck.But if you want to be mad at someone be mad at the Raiders. If your wife invites to stay the night at your house some homeless guy who has already been arrested for robbing from people who let them stay with him... and he steals from you... are you going to blame the bum for failing to protect the interests of your home? Or are you going to blame the person who made the decision, and who is supposed to have a bigger vested interest in your home than the bum does?

I think it's very fair to be pissed.I also think that any Patriots fan who is now loving Moss and is forever forbidden from complaining about Roger Clemens and the way he phoned it in during his final Red Sox years before going on to win repeated Cy Young Awards with Toronto and New York.
:thumbup: Excellent point.As unlikely as it is, I will pray to the Football Gods that Moss never gets a ring.
g'luck with that lol

Britney Spears said:
Count me as one who feels like the Raiders have no reason to be bitter.

For a large part of the time Randy was there, he was hurt. They waited until he was healthy again, and dealt him. They could have tried to see if he fit with the new (better) coaching as he came into health, but they were impatient and because the team was fragile (and bad), they didn't see it fit to risk having him on the team.

Credit the Patriots for being a strong team that could withstand any problems with Randy.

Raiders = Poor organization

Patriots = Strong organization with annoying fans
I think it's more of the latter. The Raider franchise is in a very sensitive position right now following the debacle with Art Shell. And I don't blame them for getting rid of any players that may be too difficult for a new, young coach to handle... no matter the talent level. I don't think the move was a patience issue. It was a risk/reward issue. The future of the team did not hinge on how good Moss could be. In the NFL you can be competitive with average talent and a very good coach/coaching staff. Currently, even without Moss, the Raiders have enough talent to compete in games. And it's my opinion the Raiders have the makings of a very good coaching staff, especially if they can keep Ryan around for a while.

And when Russell is ready, they will add a potentially very dangerous weapon on offense. How he pans out will influence greatly how good this team can be over the next five years.

So, although it stings a little to see Moss do so great, I'm mostly okay with it since I feel the Raiders are heading in the right direction without him...

RAIDERNATION said:

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :goodposting:

To me, he's nothing but a frontrunner. Anyone can be an awesome teammate on an all-time great squad.

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :hot:
Well, if my team put Moss in that type of situation, I'd guess I'd be mad tat the team, not the player. It's not the players role to put a good product on the field, it's the managements. The player is simply hired to do his job, which Moss did until it became apparent no one else was, especially his bosses.Lack of leadership doesn't start with the players, they just reflect their leaders attitudes.

moderated said:
:goodposting:

Gr00vus said:
yinzer said:
NFL teams currently over value draft picks.
Strongly disagree.Walker/Moss get traded for low draft picks because they are overpaid(as you eluded to) and are a problem in the locker-room. The value of the draft pick isn't being overstated, the value of the player is just much, much lower if there's a good chance they aren't going to be playing with the team even if they aren't traded. Sign the ridiculously high pay check for an ingrate that doesn't help your team or move him for next to nothing.Welker/Chambers are worth higher draft picks in comparison not because they are better players but because they are willing to stay and contribute a great deal to the team that's dealing them and aren't costing the team that would keep them nearly as much $.The value of the draft pick stays the same... the difference is the attitude/salary of the player.

RAIDERNATION said:

Now that he is with a great team, Randy is all of a sudden a team player and a role model and a mentor to the young players and a terrific citizen. Chris Mortensen yesterday opined that Moss "has finally grown up and matured." :shock:

Am I off base here, or would you be pissed if he did this to YOUR team? :shock:
I could not agree more. Moss QUIT on the Raiders team and fans. That showed his real character. When things get tough just quit.

I'm a 49er fan, so, I think the whole thing is pretty funny.

I don't believe Moss has grown up. If next year he goes to a team in a bad situation, he'll do what he did with the Raiders. Give good effort for about half a season and then mail it in thereafter.

And while Moss wants to win, this is also about financial incentive for Moss. He is playing now on a one year $3M deal. He is playing right now for his next contract.

And I'd be pissed if I was a Raider fan....

Raiders fans should be pissed that their team/organization doesn't have half the common sense of the Patriots (or even Vikings) and realized how you use a talent as rare as Randy Moss in the 1st place. Good coaches and teams put players in a position to succeed. The adapt to the talent around them. Jesh, it's not like Randy is a hard guy to figure out... both mentally and physically on the field.

Gr00vus said:
yinzer said:
The Packers actually offered more than what the Pats did. He turned us down.

Users who are viewing this thread