What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

hutchins929

Footballguy
I have seen a couple of Mocks recently that have Hawk slipping to the Lions and even one that has him going further. Do you really see this guy dropping that far?

Comming from a guy who would LOVE to see Hawk in Detroit!!!

I don't see it happening either, but when I saw those Mocks I wondered if some fresh news came out to make his stock drop or something. Anyways I would be thrilled if it happend but like you all have said, its highly unlikely.

For the past couple of days, I've been concerned that Michael Huff doesn't fall to the Lions and they decide to take Vernon Davis instead.

I like your hypothetical better.

:thumbup:

Very possible.

Hawk is great yes, but there is a ton of talent at the top of this draft, and Hawk plays at about the least important position.

Wouldnt shock me if he fell to, or past, #9.

There's a chance because of all the depth at LB this year but I can't see it happening unfortunately.

I'm also one that thinks Huff may not make it past #8 whether the Bills take him or a team trades up to that spot to take him.

Very possible.

Hawk is great yes, but there is a ton of talent at the top of this draft, and Hawk plays at about the least important position.

Diesel...curious about your comment re: "least important position." Linebacker has been a premier position in many drafts, just not the last few years. Certainly LB has been a more coveted position high in the draft than TE and S, at the very least.

Very possible.

Diesel...curious about your comment re: "least important position." Linebacker has been a premier position in many drafts, just not the last few years. Certainly LB has been a more coveted position high in the draft than TE and S, at the very least.
I think a lot of people think that way. I know that the your Eagles are one team that definitely believes that. Andy Reid does not believe that LB talent is a huge need in his defensive system. I'm sure that there are other coaches/teams that feel the same way. They seem to feel that the one position that you need talent at on defense is at the CB position. I think they view the defensive line as the most important area, but believe that having lots of fresh bodies to rotate in and out is more important that pure talent (although Reid obviously recognized the need for talent at the DE position to get after the QB).

Very possible.

I think a lot of people think that way. I know that the your Eagles are one team that definitely believes that. Andy Reid does not believe that LB talent is a huge need in his defensive system. I'm sure that there are other coaches/teams that feel the same way. They seem to feel that the one position that you need talent at on defense is at the CB position. I think they view the defensive line as the most important area, but believe that having lots of fresh bodies to rotate in and out is more important that pure talent (although Reid obviously recognized the need for talent at the DE position to get after the QB).
No question that Jimmy Johnson (not Reid) feels that way about the LB position, but as an Eagles fan I've always viewed the Birds as a minority in that respect. Certainly Bill Belichick would beg to differ on the value of LBs...they are the lynchpin of his scheme.I would agree that LB isn't perceived to be more important than QB, DT, DE or OT...but it's certainly (at least historically) been given more priority in the draft than safety or tight end, and certainly ranks higher than fullback, center, offensive guard, place kicker and punter.

Very possible.

No question that Jimmy Johnson (not Reid) feels that way about the LB position, but as an Eagles fan I've always viewed the Birds as a minority in that respect. Certainly Bill Belichick would beg to differ on the value of LBs...they are the lynchpin of his scheme.I would agree that LB isn't perceived to be more important than QB, DT, DE or OT...but it's certainly (at least historically) been given more priority in the draft than safety or tight end, and certainly ranks higher than fullback, center, offensive guard, place kicker and punter.
I don't disagree. I do think that OLB is generally seen as less important than ILB though. I don't know diesel's post was due to his personal feelings on the position rather than the general belief around the NFL, I was just pointing out that there are people in the NFL that do feel that way as well. I would think that it is in the minority, but then again LBers do seem to go later in the draft than QBs, RBs, WRs, OTs, DEs and CBs.

among playoff teams last year, I'd say the LBs (and MLBs in particular) were extremely critical to their success.

Look at the impact players like Odell Thurman and Lofa Tatupu had on their respective teams.

Very possible.

I'm working on an article where we mock draft up to #14 (it's a Philly based website)...I think that the Eagles should go OLB, but I just can't see it happening.There's so many good strong side LBs in the draft, but I don't see the Eagles taking one in the first round. I think they would in the second round ( Remember the Incredible Vanishing Matt McCoy? )...Maybe Thomas Howard is still there?

The Eagles just can't go into the season with Dhani Jones as their starting SLB, but I don't think they draft one in the first round.

I disagree with the Eagles philosophy on linebacker, and I think it's really hurt them in the past (between Levon kirkland and a gimpy Blaine Bishop...Joe Jurevicius is still running). Some folks never learn though.

The Lions let DJ slip past them last year, while I no longer would be shocked if Hawk falls to them, he would not fall further.

Very possible.

Belechick menttioned either last year or the year before (because everyone prdicts them to take a LB every year in the first 2 rounds), that he simply hadn't seen one had the skill set to do what he wanted his backers to do that warranted a pick where he was selecting. LB is very very system dependent. If they can't do what you want them to do, and you have a set system, then they have little value. I think many teams FA to fill LB need, as they have a better read on how a player can play at that level.

Users who are viewing this thread