What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Mike Alstott a HOF candidate? (1 Viewer)

Should he make it into the HOF?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Pretty unique FB. Selected for more Pro Bowls (6) and 1st Team All-Pros (3) than any other FB in the HOF that I can tell. Has the SB ring. One of the first definitive RBBC with a TD vulture that has become more and more prevalent.

So, what do you think?

Pretty unique FB. Selected for more Pro Bowls (6) and 1st Team All-Pros (3) than any other FB in the HOF that I can tell. Has the SB ring. One of the first definitive RBBC with a TD vulture that has become more and more prevalent. So, what do you think?
I was wondering who was the last FB (and not necessarily last one voted in, but last one to play) voted into the HOF. I think he should be in due to the fact there has not been a FB with his skillset in the last 20 years that I know of. Now, could he block like Lorenzo Neal, of course not (he is a guy that should get in when you look at his track record), but no pure FB ran the ball like Alstott since I have been an active fan.The real question is how will he be viewed by the voters? Is he a RB in FB's clothing?? If that is how he is viewed, he does not have a prayer. But if he is viewed as a true FB, there is a chance that in the NEXT 20 years, no FB puts up his type of numbers...and then, I can't see how you keep someone like that out of the HOF. He has a ring too which plays into voters minds and was part of the crew that put that franchise on the map.ETA: I voted he will not get in, because I am not sure how he will be viewed by the voting population, although now that I think about it, he was pretty media friendly and that does not hurt, so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
no

Gash and Neal better FBs IMO

I can't ever foresee a time where a FB gets voted in before....just about every position. Sad but FBs are often thought of as "dime a dozen" in the NFL

Pretty unique FB. Selected for more Pro Bowls (6) and 1st Team All-Pros (3) than any other FB in the HOF that I can tell.
Fighting flu and groggy, I really think there's a major oversight here but can't think of who. Probably JWB will name someone and we'll think "oh yeah"

Nope. He was listed as a FB, but for the most part was just the thunder to Warrick Dunn's lightning. Alstott was a Running Back.

Very good doesn't land you in the HOF, unless you're Art Monk.

noGash and Neal better FBs IMOI can't ever foresee a time where a FB gets voted in before....just about every position. Sad but FBs are often thought of as "dime a dozen" in the NFL
I agree as far as "traditional" FB duties are concerned (looking at blocking, etc), but Alstott has equal Pro Bowls and more All-Pros than Gash and Neal combined (thus far). That doesn't mean a ton, as I think he has the numbers (71 TDs), just have to see how he is viewed.

Pretty unique FB. Selected for more Pro Bowls (6) and 1st Team All-Pros (3) than any other FB in the HOF that I can tell.
Fighting flu and groggy, I really think there's a major oversight here but can't think of who. Probably JWB will name someone and we'll think "oh yeah"
Yes. Jim Brown.
I saw Jim Brown, but listing Brown as a FB is ridiculous. I think we can all agree on that.

noGash and Neal better FBs IMOI can't ever foresee a time where a FB gets voted in before....just about every position. Sad but FBs are often thought of as "dime a dozen" in the NFL
I agree as far as "traditional" FB duties are concerned (looking at blocking, etc), but Alstott has equal Pro Bowls and more All-Pros than Gash and Neal combined (thus far). That doesn't mean a ton, as I think he has the numbers (71 TDs), just have to see how he is viewed.
I think casual fans will vote for a scoring FB over a blocking FB every chance they get so...not sure how much the pro bowl merits consideration in this comparison

Yes. Jim Brown.
there ya go GM-good call Chase.Also Chase, an old time Miami FB maybe?
I already saw Jim Brown as I said but had dismissed him, again, because he was clearly a RB and not a FB. Technically speaking, yes, but that's just not accurate IMO.As for Csonka, he had 5 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pros. The thing about Alstott is that while he ran more than most traditional FB's, he definitely did more blocking and traditional FB jobs than what any normal RB is expected to do. He really was a true hybrid. Are there not others like him because there's no need or because not many can function as both and be as successful as he was. That's what makes him so unique to me.

No, of course not. It's ridiculous to even bring this up. I realize that the Shark Pool would like just about everyone to make the HOF, but Alstott just isn't getting in, nor should he.

One of my posts from Mike Alstott Hall of Fame?:

No way. I posted this recently about Lorenzo Neal's chances:

IMO Neal has no chance. Here are the FBs in the HOF:

Jim Brown - 1957-1965 - arguably best RB of all time

Larry Csonka - 1968-1979 - Dolphins legend; Super Bowl MVP; almost 9000 combined net yards and 68 TDs

John Henry Johnson - 1954-1966 - ranked #4 on career rushing list when he retired

Marion Motley - 1946-1953, 1955 - AAFC all time leading rusher; led NFL in rushing in 1950; on NFL 75th anniversary team

Joe Perry - 1948-1963 - 12532 combined net yards, more than 60 TDs

Jim Taylor - 1958-1967 - Packers legend; 10,532 combined net yards; NFL POY in 1962

All of these FBs were offensive forces on their teams, not just blockers. You may also notice none have been elected who played after 1979, and Csonka was the only one who played after 1967. This is because of the changes to NFL offenses over the years that have moved towards using the FB as a blocker and only occasional receiver, not a primary ball carrier. Neal would be the first fullback to be elected solely for blocking ability. It won't happen.
Motley was much more accomplished for his era than Alstott is in his. You can't look just at raw numbers and compare them. These players played in an era in which they were the feature RBs in their offenses and among the best RBs in the league. Not just among the best FBs, among the best RBs. They just happened to play fullback because of the prevalent offensive strategies.He has no chance. I doubt he'll ever make the 25 man cutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM didn't Csonka block for Mercury Morris?Why is he not a good comparison here?
Who said he's not a good comparison? He is a good comparison. Csonka is in the HOF. Alstott was in more Pro Bowls and named to more All-Pros than Csonka. I think the 2 are very similar, in fact.

Who said he's not a good comparison? He is a good comparison. Csonka is in the HOF. Alstott was in more Pro Bowls and named to more All-Pros than Csonka. I think the 2 are very similar, in fact.
Larry Csonka was top-5 in rushing yards 4 time. Alstott never sniffed the top 5 in rushing yardage or combined yardage in any season. Csonka is #37 all-time in rushing yardage; Alstott is not in the top 100. If they're comparable players, they're only comparable in a sentence such as "Larry Csonka sure was a better running back than Mike Alstott, don't you think?"

Larry Csonka was top-5 in rushing yards 4 time. Alstott never sniffed the top 5 in rushing yardage or combined yardage in any season. Csonka is #37 all-time in rushing yardage; Alstott is not in the top 100. If they're comparable players, they're only comparable in a sentence such as "Larry Csonka sure was a better running back than Mike Alstott, don't you think?"
:lmao: :lmao:

I voted yes with this scenario. He'll be mentioned as a candidate for about 10 seasons with other inductees eventually going in first. I think EVENTUALLY on an off year where the candidates are kind of dry, that's when he'll get in.

In an age where fullbacks where more or less completely ignored as ball carriers, he was only mostly ignored. Because of this he has some numbers compared to his contemporaries. He then became Chris Berman's obsession. That doesn't make him a HOF. Were i a G.M. I would much rather have Neal or William Henderson from his contemporaries, and that is giving the matter only minimal thought.

Not much to add in this thread that Chase and JWB haven't already covered. Alstott was a fish out of water, which is why he got those PB and AP nods. How many times did you wince when you saw Alstott's name on the Pro Bowl roster and think, "really?" It was simply a case of name recognition at a position with very little love in the box score.

He was a good player in that he offered value to the Bucs and did quite a few things well enough. But, to my mind, he's not even in the conversation for induction into the Pro Football HOF.

Yes. Jim Brown.
I saw Jim Brown, but listing Brown as a FB is ridiculous. I think we can all agree on that.
Why? Brown teamed with future HOFer Bobby Mitchell in the early 60s who was the flash to his power. Brown was a FB, but a HB. But FBs are RBs.

Larry Csonka - 1968-1979 - Dolphins legend; Super Bowl MVP; almost 9000 combined net yards and 68 TDs

John Henry Johnson - 1954-1966 - ranked #4 on career rushing list when he retired

Marion Motley - 1946-1953, 1955 - AAFC all time leading rusher; led NFL in rushing in 1950; on NFL 75th anniversary team

Jim Taylor - 1958-1967 - Packers legend; 10,532 combined net yards; NFL POY in 1962

All of these FBs were offensive forces on their teams, not just blockers. You may also notice none have been elected who played after 1979, and Csonka was the only one who played after 1967. This is because of the changes to NFL offenses over the years that have moved towards using the FB as a blocker and only occasional receiver, not a primary ball carrier. Neal would be the first fullback to be elected solely for blocking ability. It won't happen.
Motley was much more accomplished for his era than Alstott is in his. You can't look just at raw numbers and compare them. These players played in an era in which they were the feature RBs in their offenses and among the best RBs in the league. Not just among the best FBs, among the best RBs. They just happened to play fullback because of the prevalent offensive strategies.He has no chance. I doubt he'll ever make the 25 man cutdown.
I believe Franco Harris is also listed as a fullback where Rocky Bleier was the "tailback".

Had Alstott played fifty years ago, he would have had a better shot of being inducted. Now everyone is too concerned with stats to pay him much attention. One of the more unique, impressive runners Ive ever seen.

I believe Franco Harris is also listed as a fullback where Rocky Bleier was the "tailback".
Just to be clear, the 6 players I identified in my post are the only 6 modern era players identified on the Pro Football HOF site as FBs; there are actually 3 other FBs in the HOF who played in the pre-modern era (Hinkle, Nagurski, and Nevers). Harris is listed as a RB.

Heck if Ray Guy can't make it in and he clearly was the best ever at his position, then why would a player like Alstott sneak in? NO WAY would or should he get in the HOF.

Heck if Ray Guy can't make it in and he clearly was the best ever at his position, then why would a player like Alstott sneak in? NO WAY would or should he get in the HOF.
Ray Guy is not clearly the best ever at his position. This has been discussed numerous times in the Shark Pool. However, you are correct about Alstott.

Please stop the madness. The fact that Mike Alstott gets mentioned in the same conversation as Jim Brown should be a huge friggin red flag. Seriously, do you want to see Alstott standing on a stage next to Jim Brown wearing funny jackets? I might throw up. He was a pretty good touchdown vulture and nothing else. And even at that he couldn't carry Jerome Bettis's jock, and the only HoF Bettis is gettin in is the Bolwing HoF (which is oddly true).

Users who are viewing this thread