What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is police brutality overstated or exaggerated by the Media? (1 Viewer)

Is police brutality overstated or exaggerated by the Media?

• Yes

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters
Correlation does not mean causation. I don't think policies from the left are the biggest factor in increased crime and low police morale. Low morale was a big issue in 2018.

These survey results of police  from 2018, 2019, 2020, & 2021 show a consistent pattern that respondents feel they aren't paid enough for their work, considering the stress. That's probably the biggest factor in morale. Pay in many police departments is low, but not in most big cities, such as NYC and even mid-sized well funded cities like Miami and Miami Beach where many retire in their 40s or 50s with nice pensions. In 2020, dealing with COVID had a negative impact on their morale. Finally, in 2021, respondents said treatment by the government & public negatively affected their morale. The police academy at our local community college is not suffering from low enrollment.

The survey from 2018:

"A staggering 44.8% said they worried about the state of their personal finances either every day or almost every day. And more than one in nine (11.8%) said they never or almost never had enough money to cover all of their essentials. This was up from 11% on the year before. The vast majority of respondents, 87.9%, did not feel fairly paid considering the stresses and strains of their job."

From 2020:

The 2020 survey revealed that, 86% of respondents said they did not feel fairly paid in relation to the stresses and strains of the job, 65% of respondents reported the COVID-19 crisis has had a negative impact on their morale and 76% felt unfairly paid for the risks & responsibilities of their job during the pandemic.

From 2021:

Of 29,587 officers who responded, 95% said their treatment by the Government had a negative impact on their morale.

I am not sure what that proves.  The media has been kicking police in the balls since at least 2012 when the Michael Brown and Trevon Martin stuff started the BLM movement.  There are lots of reasons why police morale is in the toilet, but to suggest media trashing them is not one of them is ridiculous.  The more recent efforts to decriminalize small crimes and bail reform certainly have more than just a correlation relationship to crime.  There are numerous cases of people being arrested dozens of times and being released, then to commit some more heinous crime.   The most severe was the guy who ran over 70 people at the Christmas parade.  Certainly things can be correlated but not be a cause is quite possible.  But when you are discussing things like bail reform and decriminalization impact to crime rates, it is nonsense to dismiss the relationship as some simple correlation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunately it only take 1 occasional incident like this to sully the reputation of the 99% of good cops....hope these 3 get hammered

Of course it's overstated. The statistics, especially when you start getting in to the race aspect of it, bear this out. All they ever do is report on individual incidents and never mention the actual stats. That being said, EVERY officer in this country should have a FUNCTIONAL body camera that is turned on for EVERY encounter with the public. If an incident occurs and there isn't audio/video evidence that officer better have a very good explanation or be subject to harsh discipline up to and including termination. Body cameras protect BOTH the officer and the people they are sworn to protect.
How do you feel about the recent epidemic of phones being wiped by Trump administration officials, ICE, and secret service. Similar to body cams in my opinion.

I want to see the 20 minutes of film before the 34 seconds

I've said it 1,000 times, there is a responsibility for citizens too. Worchester had a part in this too, had he simply complied, none of this would have happened. They're all in the wrong as it appears right now.

Worcester is charged with second-degree battery, resisting arrest, possessing an instrument of crime, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, terroristic threatening and first- and second-degree assault, Arkansas State Police said.
Worcester allegedly threatened a gas station clerk in a neighboring town, Damante told CNN affiliate KHBS. When he was spotted in Mulberry, Worcester was initially cooperative, but then tried to attack the officers, leading to the confrontation in the video, Damante told the station.
The suspect told officers he had a weapon, but the sheriff believes Worcester handed it over before the fight ensued, he told reporters Monday

I want to see the 20 minutes of film before the 34 seconds

I've said it 1,000 times, there is a responsibility for citizens too. Worchester had a part in this too, had he simply complied, none of this would have happened. They're all in the wrong as it appears right now.

Worcester is charged with second-degree battery, resisting arrest, possessing an instrument of crime, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, terroristic threatening and first- and second-degree assault, Arkansas State Police said.
Worcester allegedly threatened a gas station clerk in a neighboring town, Damante told CNN affiliate KHBS. When he was spotted in Mulberry, Worcester was initially cooperative, but then tried to attack the officers, leading to the confrontation in the video, Damante told the station.
The suspect told officers he had a weapon, but the sheriff believes Worcester handed it over before the fight ensued, he told reporters Monday
You can spin this any way you want but there is no excuse whatsoever for what the police did.

You can spin this any way you want but there is no excuse whatsoever for what the police did.

It looks excessive absolutely

But you can't spin it and say that Worcester was innocent - he's charged with multiple counts, reports are he fought, wasn't compliant, etc etc ............. there is a responsibility for him, and all of us, to work WITH police as well

Yes, it looks excessive, what did Worcester do ? Don't you think that matters too?

But you can't spin it and say that Worcester was innocent - he's charged with multiple counts, reports are he fought, wasn't compliant, etc etc ............. there is a responsibility for him, and all of us, to work WITH police as well

Yes, it looks excessive, what did Worcester do ? Don't you think that matters too?
I never said he was innocent. What he did matters but nothing can excuse the excessive force used by the police.

It’s fair to hold the police to a higher standard than criminals.

Of course it's overstated. The statistics, especially when you start getting in to the race aspect of it, bear this out. All they ever do is report on individual incidents and never mention the actual stats. That being said, EVERY officer in this country should have a FUNCTIONAL body camera that is turned on for EVERY encounter with the public. If an incident occurs and there isn't audio/video evidence that officer better have a very good explanation or be subject to harsh discipline up to and including termination. Body cameras protect BOTH the officer and the people they are sworn to protect.
How do you feel about the recent epidemic of phones being wiped by Trump administration officials, ICE, and secret service. Similar to body cams in my opinion.
I have no idea what you're talking about. But this thread is about police brutality. If you think political type stuff is in any way similar to the notion of police brutality I suggest you take some time off.

I never said he was innocent. What he did matters but nothing can excuse the excessive force used by the police.
I agree, but we may be getting part of the video here.

Apparently this happened in Arkansas recently
3 officers beat up man in Arkansas
That was as brutal and disgusting as it gets.
Now imagine that guy getting jacked up was black
The police would have killed him??
or riots
Oh my bad! The answer you were looking for was riots.

Typically the riots come after the killing

Rodney King disagrees.

Not a single Jemele Hill tweet about this either.
Because police mistreatment of blacks is a separate issue from police brutality in general. Personally, I don’t believe police brutality im general is a real issue in this country. It happens, and it needs to be condemned when it does, but it’s pretty rare.

On the other hand, police mistreatment of blacks in this country (which encompasses, but is not limited to, acts of brutality) is still widespread and systemic. That’s why it often leads to anger (justifiable), protests (justifiable) and rioting (not justifiable, but predictable and understandable. )

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.
You are absolutely right!

Again my bad, I am suffering from recency bias. I was thinking about Michael Brown, Freddie Gray & George Floyd. I totally forgot about the OG Rodney King.

I do recall the Rodney King riots happening after the trail but I could be wrong about that

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

Again my bad, I am suffering from recency bias. I was thinking about Michael Brown, Freddie Gray & George Floyd. I totally forgot about the OG Rodney King.

I do recall the Rodney King riots happening after the trail but I could be wrong about that

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

What happened in Arkansas is disgusting.

That being said a stat is In the prior 12 months, as of 2018, among persons age 16 or older About 61.5 million residents had at least one contact with police. So ever though when something like this does happen even though it is bad it is actually quite rare considering the amount of interactions.

how can you agree that the police should be held to higher standards and then do a 180 in the second half of your statement?

lets look at this again

if I commit second-degree battery, I have an instrument of crime, I criminal trespass with mischief, i commit terroristic threatening and first- and second-degree assault then I resist arrest . and you as an officer punch me in the face a few times its all YOUR fault ?

I mean c'mon .......... this Worcester is at great fault for everything he did and sparking this entire thing. Yes, police are held to higher standards but I've argued a long time there is also a standard in how citizens are supposed to act as well.

Worcester isn't a victim - he's the perpetrator who initiated the entire encounter

I'm not excusing the police, they broke policy obviously (it appears) I just have no pity for Worcester and ya'll seem to and I don't get that

I have no idea what you're talking about. But this thread is about police brutality. If you think political type stuff is in any way similar to the notion of police brutality I suggest you take some time off.
I’m talking about law enforcement trying to hide their actions. Same thing as with the body cams. These people work for us. I want transparency on all of them. Local to federal.

how can you agree that the police should be held to higher standards and then do a 180 in the second half of your statement?

lets look at this again

if I commit second-degree battery, I have an instrument of crime, I criminal trespass with mischief, i commit terroristic threatening and first- and second-degree assault then I resist arrest . and you as an officer punch me in the face a few times its all YOUR fault ?

I mean c'mon .......... this Worcester is at great fault for everything he did and sparking this entire thing. Yes, police are held to higher standards but I've argued a long time there is also a standard in how citizens are supposed to act as well.

Worcester isn't a victim - he's the perpetrator who initiated the entire encounter

I'm not excusing the police, they broke policy obviously (it appears) I just have no pity for Worcester and ya'll seem to and I don't get that
Based on the video it looks like the police could have arrested the guy without kicking him and pounding his head into the pavement multiple times.

Now instead of a criminal getting the jail time he deserves for breaking whatever laws he broke, the fine people in the community are going to have to fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars when he wins the civil case.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

That being said a stat is In the prior 12 months, as of 2018, among persons age 16 or older About 61.5 million residents had at least one contact with police. So ever though when something like this does happen even though it is bad it is actually quite rare considering the amount of interactions.
Not to this level, of course, but what would you guess the % of those interactions that were positive? Police don't have to beat the **** out of someone for it to be a bad experience with police.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

What percentage of bad actions by cops get video taped and have anyt accountability vs a nice well written report that is backed up by all the cops present?

Personally I would be willing to bet a shockingly low amount of beatings like this are documented and have any accountability. I would guess that wasn't the first knee to the head that cop ever threw.

Or maybe by some miracle the first time these cops ever did something like that there just so happened to be a citizen with a camera present? Not likely.

“I get emails that would make your hair crawl,” says Roslin, a Canadian freelance journalist who came to the issue two decades ago after a friend working with survivors of abuse informed him police wives and biker gang spouses constituted the bulk of her patient population, suggesting a hidden epidemic of police domestic abuse.

Indeed, police domestic abuse, Roslin points out, is an open secret. In 1991, sociologist Leonor Johnson presented to the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee on Children, Youth and Families, suggesting that 360,000 of the then 900,000 law enforcement officers in the U.S. were likely perpetrating acts of abuse. After a Los Angeles Police Department officer murdered his wife and committed suicide in the late 1990s, a review of domestic abuse allegations brought against officers showed that between 1990 and 1997, 227 alleged cases of domestic violence were brought against police officers, only 91 were sustained and only four resulted in the conviction of criminal charges. Of the four convictions, only one officer was suspended from duty. He was asked to take three weeks off.

For many, cops remain heroes. But the law enforcement culture lionized by reactionaries is also a culture of silence antithetical to the values of most partners and parents. Fatherly spoke to Roslin about the extent of the police domestic violence problem and why it persists.

The numbers in your book are absolutely shocking. In particular, the number 15 is shocking. You support the claim that abuse is roughly 15 times more pervasive within police families than in the general population. Where does that come from?

The major study here was done by a police officer and a sociologist in Tucson, Arizona, working with a collaborator who had studied domestic violence in military families. It wasn’t by the police department officially. That study found that 40 percent of cops reported having participated in domestic violence in the previous year. The researchers questioned spouses and officers separately with anonymous questions and came up with strikingly similar figures.

An FBI advisory board later found that roughly 40 percent of officers who filled out questionnaires in a number of different settings admitted to being physically violent with their spouse in the previous six months. The general population data for self-reported abuse is closer to 4 percent when people are asked to report on the last 12 months.

The numbers are higher for cops who work night shifts.

I don’t think it over-exaggerated as much as additional proper context is not provided.

Most people, even educated people let alone uneducated, cannot properly process singular or small sample datapoints relative to a country with 330,000,000 people and tens of millions of police interactions. Also it’s been show that horrible visuals way over-skew peoples perceptions of overall activity.

The abuse is real. It’s what gets the airtime and it should because it is often singularly shocking and unacceptable. But the appropriate and positive interactions are not aired (because nobody cares to watch that it’s boring) and the data around the positive interactions are not shared when showing the small sample bad incidents to provide context (I guess because the networks know it doesn’t sell).

So it is human nature to form information bias based on what you are presented. I think if the broader data on policing (which is still indicative of opportunity for improvement) was shared along with these isolated incidents the public would have a more accurately informed view. Instead they just see the carnage, over and over again.

So they’re not being showed anything wrong, it’s just woefully incomplete. It would be like just constantly airing the suffering of children with myocarditis from the covid vax with no other data for context and not thinking it wouldn’t cloud peoples view on overall vaccine efficacy.

there is a responsibility for him, and all of us, to work WITH police as well

But not a responsibility for ALL OF US to work WITH the DOJ or the FBI or other arms of Law Enforcement? Just the police? Because I know a guy names Donald Trump who didn't want to work with law enforcement and I don't recall a tongue wagging from you over that.....

But not a responsibility for ALL OF US to work WITH the DOJ or the FBI or other arms of Law Enforcement? Just the police? Because I know a guy names Donald Trump who didn't want to work with law enforcement and I don't recall a tongue wagging from you over that.....

when has anybody ever said anything like that ??

Trump should be held to the same as everyone else, and Pelosi and her husband and Biden and all of them

when has anybody ever said anything like that ??

Trump should be held to the same as everyone else,

Precisely. Glad to hear you say it.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

Not to this level, of course, but what would you guess the % of those interactions that were positive? Police don't have to beat the **** out of someone for it to be a bad experience with police.
Here is an example of "people don't have to beat the **** out of someone for it to be a bad experience with police"
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-pregnant-black-mother-traffic-stop-rcna44455
The woman was caught speeding on a dark road, instead of pulling over on the dark road when the officer turns on his lights she puts on her hazards and drives to a store parking lot with lights. The officer proceeds to pull out weapon and berate the woman in the parking lot

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

or riots

Rodney King disagrees.

Here is an example of "people don't have to beat the **** out of someone for it to be a bad experience with police"
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-pregnant-black-mother-traffic-stop-rcna44455
The woman was caught speeding on a dark road, instead of pulling over on the dark road when the officer turns on his lights she puts on her hazards and drives to a store parking lot with lights. The officer proceeds to pull out weapon and berate the woman in the parking lot
That looked awful , these cops need to de-escalate these things ,not escalate them. I get why black people are afraid to pull over like that in a rural area .

He had both hands in the air when he was shot.

Police body-cam footage shows an officer opening a bedroom door in an apartment and immediately shooting Lewis, who was in bed. Lewis appeared to be holding the vape pen before he was shot, said Columbus Police Chief Elaine Bryant. No weapon was found.

Orange County Florida Sheriff's Deputy shoots, kills man after he was peacefully disarmed by fellow officer

According to the department, the brother who had been downed when the deputy arrived on the scene, 21-year-old Dylan Jimenez, had been involved in a gun battle with another man in the moments leading up to the incident.

The scuffle left Jimenez slumped on a car, bleeding out in the hotel parking lot - spurring his brother, 28-year-old Bryan Richardson, to dash to the scene.

Video released by the Orange County Sheriff's Department Friday show the immediate aftermath of that incident, as onlookers crowded around Jimenez and attempted to tend to the dying man.

However, seemingly unbeknownst to the deputy, just outside the crowd of bystanders surrounding the dying man stood Richardson, visibly distraught over his brother's condition - and, as one spectator shouts, with a handgun at his side.

Upon noticing the armed man after several seconds already on the scene, the officer draws his service weapon and points it at Richardson, as his female partner goes to take the gun away from him.

In the footage, Richardson does not appear violent and even gives up the gun to the lady cop with his other arm outstretched toward the deputy as if to say 'Don't shoot' - but despite this is unloaded on, shot eight times by the officer.

Users who are viewing this thread