What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Priest Holmes a hall of famer? (1 Viewer)

Holmes averaged 4.6 ypc in BAL. Holmes had a 1,000 yard season in his second season and then got hurt and missed much of the following year. The Ravens switched to Brian Billick and drafted Lewis as a Top 5 overall pick. Holmes was undrafted. It's not tough to figure out who was going to play.

Amazing back in his prime, but much like Terrell Davis, was his career too short for Hall consideration?
Another differance...Priest didn't start for the Ravens because he wasn't good enough. Only when he fell to the Cheifs did he do well. This is the main reason his career was "too short"......TD, a bad injury cut his career short. Don't forget that TD was the MAN from the day in is rookie preason he leveled that 49er in Japan.
This is so wrong. Priest came into the league as undrafted free agent, he simply wasn't a Billick type Rb. Yet he ran for 1000+ yds in his second season.**** Vermeil was high on him during his college days and that is the first thing he did when he came to the Chiefs. He's the only RB besides Emmit Smith to get back to back 20+ TD's. I don't think he'll be a unaminous decision, but eventually he will get in.

Holmes only played one playoff game during his prime, and while it was one hell of a game (24/176/2 with 5/32 receiving), it was still just one game.
:blackdot: Yeah, Holmes wasn't a winner - dragged down every team he was on. And then when he finally made it to the postseason, the dude stunk it up. 200 yards and two TDs? Pfft. Sucka.

I think the Broncos would have been just as successful with Portis during the Super Bowl years, and I think a lot of people will agree with me on that.
Hypotheticals like that are irrelevant, especially when it comes to HoF talk. Besides, are you talking about the same Clinton Portis whom the Broncos traded?

Furthermore, Terrell Davis is inarguably the greatest postseason runner in NFL history (204/1140/12 rushing and 19/131/0 receiving in 8 games, which is the equivalent of a 2280/24 rushing season, except it happened against the best teams in the entire NFL, with no cupcakes to pad stats against).
Davis had two all time great post-seasons. But Emmitt Smith had three great post-seasons, two more very good ones and two more good ones. Franco Harris had one great post-season, two very good ones, and three more solid ones. John Riggins had the best post-season performance of all time and another very good one. An honorable mention goes to Thurman Thomas.Davis is certainly one of the five best post-season runners ever. It's far from clear that he was the best playoff RB of all time, and it's obvious that he was not inarguably the best postseason runner ever.

The day that Derick Blaylock came in and ran for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns when Priest missed a game was the end of Holmes' Hall of Fame chances. And then, LJ took over and never missed a beat. Holmes was totally a product of the system. The system has dissolved, and so have LJ and Holmes' numbers.
I don't disagree here, but there are a ton of counterexamples.1) Trung Canidate/Steven Jackson.2) Jim Brown played behind arguably the greatest OL of all time, and the back that replaced him made the HOF.3) Emmitt Smith.4) Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung.5) O.J.6) DickersonHonestly, it's more difficult to think of star RBs that did *not* play with great OLs than ones who did. I totally agree that Holmes played behind an awesome line and was in a great "system" in Kansas City. But IMO, that hasn't stopped any RBs from making the HOF. Excluding TD, who I think makes it in one day, can you think of a RB who was HOF worthy except he played on a great system/OL, and therefore did not make the Hall?

Ghost Rider said:
Adebisi said:
I think the Broncos would have been just as successful with Portis during the Super Bowl years, and I think a lot of people will agree with me on that.
Hypotheticals like that are irrelevant, especially when it comes to HoF talk. Besides, are you talking about the same Clinton Portis whom the Broncos traded?
I wasn't saying that to prove TD's case one way or the other - I was saying it in response to someone else's comment comparing the two RBs and bringing TD's rings into the conversation.Yes, this is the same Clinton Portis who the Broncos traded for probably the best cornerback of his era and a 2nd round pick. But speaking of irrelevant points...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to call Emmitt, Faulk, Tomlinson and Martin HOFers for the purpose of this post.

Terrell Davis is, IMO, the most deserving HOF not yet in Canton. Priest Holmes is #2. Both of these guys have "system" questions, where they played on teams with great rushing systems and dominant OLs. Their teams replaced their backs with other backs who were terrific, although neither were as good for as long. In both cases, though, the replacement RBs were elite talent RBs. Jim Brown was replaced by Leroy Kelly, a HOFer. Johnson and Portis have HOF type talent, so it's hard to really separate out how much of an impact the lines/system for those two guys had. Either way, I think it's a moot point for asking the question "will these guys make the HOF?" Because the HOF largely ignores these things. Whether or not they should make the Hall is another question.

When you include post-season success, TD is a no brainer. I think he's borderline if he never played a playoff game but -- and once again, if you ignore system effects -- he's a top 10 RB of all time if you count the post-season. Seeing as how everyone counts the post-season, this isn't too controversial.

Holmes has a great cases than probably the majority of RBs in the HOF, but that's not a good litmus test. He was more dominant than Dorsett or Kelly or Harris or Riggins or Allen, and a lot more dominant than guys like Hornung or Matson. But the HOF test was different back then, so I don't think we can do an apples to apples comparison.

Holmes in 2002 had one of the greatest five seasons in RB history. He had 163.1 yards from scrimmage per game, the most ever. He had just one fumble. He had 1.7 touchdowns per game, the fifth most ever. He missed two games that season, and I can't help but wonder if he would have won the MVP had he not missed those games. Even with the missed games, it's a top 5 season of all time. His 2003 season was awesome, a top 25 season of all time. In 2001 he had another top 75 season of all time. That's one GOAT season, one historically great season and one awesome season.

That's more than most HOFers. That's more than Edge, or Tiki, or Shaun Alexander. It's more than Portis, Watters, Westbrook or Bettis. The guy Holmes could be compared to is Campbell. Totally different styles of runners and Campbell was on bad offensive teams -- he would have killed for a Green or a Gonzo. But Campbell and Holmes match up very well historically.

Campbell's 1980 was crazy, all time great good. He had over 1900 rushing yards in 14 games, missed one game and missed almost all of another. That matches Holmes' 2002.

Holmes '03 was an all time great season, as was Campbell's 1979.

Holmes '01 was terrific; so was Campbell in '78.

Campbell in '83 had one last good season; Holmes was dominant in 2004 but only for 8 games. Campbell has one more good year in '81 that Holmes can't match, but Holmes had a slightly better season at each level that I'd call that a wash.

So I think TD is an obvious "yes" and Holmes is a borderline candidate but should be in. That said, Holmes had a chance to make this obvious.

If he never got hurt in '02 (his best season, could have put up GOAT numbers) or '04 (big season but missed 8 games), you couldn't ignore his numbers:

If you pro-rate his 54 games to 64, you get 1370 carries, 6497 rushing yards, 83 rushing TDs, 267 receptions, 2564 receiving yards and 7 receiving TDs with only 12 fumbles. That's a seasonal average of 343/1624/21 and 67/641/2 with three fumbles. Four straight years of that!

If you pro-rate his numbers in his two missed seasons (instead of prorating his weighted average), you'd get:

349/1651/22 and 64/612/2 with 3.5 fumbles per year. I'm not sure which way is more appropriate, but either way we're talking over 100 yards rushing a game, huge receiving numbers and 1.5 TDs a game.

In terms of peak production, Holmes is a no brainer. And longevity is discussed all the time on this board, but the HOF hasn't often made that a key factor.

Hey Chase . . .Where would you slot Tiki Barber in comparison to TD and PH?
To be clear, I think the HOF is a different beast than player value. For example, a RB who had 5 seasons of 1600 rushing yards would be a better HOF candidate for me than one with 10 seasons of 1300 yards. Now the latter RB would be more valuable to a team, and I'd probably rather have him on the Jets. But the former RB was more dominant, and that's what I think the HOF is about. Sustained dominance, yes, but dominance.I think when you ignore post-season numbers, Barber probably was the most valuable of the three and was definitely more valuable than Davis. When you include post-season numbers, Barber and Davis are equal in my eyes, with Holmes still a fair bit behind Barber. Any way you slice it, though, I think Barber's career was at least as valuable to the Giants as Davis was to the Broncos or Holmes to his teams.But in terms of HOF worthiness, I think he is a good bit behind both. He's very similar to Alexander or James in that sense, and a little behind the Campbells and Martins of the world. I still think he's a solid addition, but he's not an overwhelming "yes" to me. Barber's 05 was historically awesome. His 2006 and 2004 were really good. But that's about it. His next best season was '02, but he had 9 fumbles. And that's really it.I also like my RBs to be runners. I think YFS is a slightly misleading stat in the sense that receiving yards from a RB are not equal to rushing yards. Barber's a better version of Lydell Mitchell, and I think Mitchell is borderline, so I'm okay with Tiki getting in. But he didn't take over seasons like Holmes and Davis.That said, one thing about Barber is he was almost always playing on bad teams with bad OLs. Alexander, James, Holmes, Davis and Faulk were surrounded by stars. LT in his prime, was too. Barber was dominant on bad teams with really bad OLs, but I sort of doubt it's the sort of thing history will remember or even care about. In terms of talent I think he was HOF caliber. And I think you could make a solid argument that Barber could have matched Holmes or Davis if he was in those situations; alas, that's the sort of guessing game that the Hall usually doesn't engage in.

Ghost Rider said:
Adebisi said:
I wasn't saying that to prove Holmes's case one way or the other - I was saying it in response to someone else's comment comparing the two RBs and bringing TD's rings into the conversation.
Why wouldn't you bring TD's rings into the conversation? Considering he was a huge part of the Broncos getting those rings, I'd say leaving them out of the conversation would be doing a disservice to what Davis accomplished as a NFL player. Would you leave Tom Brady's rings out of the equation if he retired today and we had to debate his Hall of Fame worthiness? Of course not.
Yes, this is the same Clinton Portis who the Broncos traded for probably the best cornerback of his era and a 2nd round pick. But speaking of irrelevant points...
It is irrelevant...just like your opinion that the Broncos would have been just as successful with Portis instead of Davis during the SB years.

Ghost Rider said:
Adebisi said:
I wasn't saying that to prove Holmes's case one way or the other - I was saying it in response to someone else's comment comparing the two RBs and bringing TD's rings into the conversation.
Why wouldn't you bring TD's rings into the conversation? Considering he was a huge part of the Broncos getting those rings, I'd say leaving them out of the conversation would be doing a disservice to what Davis accomplished as a NFL player. Would you leave Tom Brady's rings out of the equation if he retired today and we had to debate his Hall of Fame worthiness? Of course not.
Yes, this is the same Clinton Portis who the Broncos traded for probably the best cornerback of his era and a 2nd round pick. But speaking of irrelevant points...
It is irrelevant...just like your opinion that the Broncos would have been just as successful with Portis instead of Davis during the SB years.
Please go back and re-read the first page of this thread.Someone said that even though the Broncos continued to have success running the ball after TD left, none of them matched his production. Someone else said that the only thing TD had on Portis was the number of carries he got. Another guy chipped in with "and a couple of rings," or something like that.

I made the point that the Broncos would still likely have won those rings if Portis had been in place rather than TD. That is all I was saying. I'm not making any HOF case for or against TD or Portis; I was just adding an observation. If you think that point is irrelevant, that's fine, and you're probably right. As I said, I was not trying to make a case for or against TD.

And by the way, of course you bring TD's rings into the conversation when you're talking about the HOF - but not necessarily when you are comparing one RB to another.

You seem to be awfully combative today, like you're just looking for someone to disagree with. Take it easy, my friend.

he's not getting in, but I think he deserves it more than a guy like Jerome Bettis who was never the best RB at any given time - at least Priest was the top or 2nd best for a period of time.

he's not getting in, but I think he deserves it more than a guy like Jerome Bettis who was never the best RB at any given time - at least Priest was the top or 2nd best for a period of time.
His first year in the league, and '96 and '97, Bettis was awesome. He wasn't TD or Sanders or Emmitt, but he was really good then. The problem with the Bus is his supporters point to his career ranks, which leads to arguments about how he stuck around too long and wasn't dominant. I'm with you, though, that Holmes would be a better candidate than Bettis.

Please go back and re-read the first page of this thread.

Someone said that even though the Broncos continued to have success running the ball after TD left, none of them matched his production. Someone else said that the only thing TD had on Portis was the number of carries he got. Another guy chipped in with "and a couple of rings," or something like that.

I made the point that the Broncos would still likely have won those rings if Portis had been in place rather than TD. That is all I was saying. I'm not making any HOF case for or against TD or Portis; I was just adding an observation. If you think that point is irrelevant, that's fine, and you're probably right. As I said, I was not trying to make a case for or against TD.

And by the way, of course you bring TD's rings into the conversation when you're talking about the HOF - but not necessarily when you are comparing one RB to another.

You seem to be awfully combative today, like you're just looking for someone to disagree with. Take it easy, my friend.
I'm perfectly calm, dude. :thumbup: And I get what you are saying; I really do. But I just think that saying stuff like Portis could have done with Davis did adds nothing to the discussion. It is impossible to prove, and, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is what happened, not what might have happened. Know what I mean? ;) :)

Please go back and re-read the first page of this thread.

Someone said that even though the Broncos continued to have success running the ball after TD left, none of them matched his production. Someone else said that the only thing TD had on Portis was the number of carries he got. Another guy chipped in with "and a couple of rings," or something like that.

I'm perfectly calm, dude. :lmao: And I get what you are saying; I really do. But I just think that saying stuff like Portis could have done with Davis did adds nothing to the discussion. It is impossible to prove, and, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is what happened, not what might have happened. Know what I mean? :lmao: :lmao:
Understood, and agreed. It was a throwaway line... I was not trying to make any particular point that was relevant to the topic of the thread. It added nothing and I suppose I probably should have just not bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread