What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Terrell Owens a lock for the HOF (right now)? (1 Viewer)

your opinion...not whether he will get in or not.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This shouldn't be a debate. He's a wacko but he's one of the best wr's to ever play the game.

My eyeball test for HOF is that the individual was in the top tier at his position for 8-10 years (low tenure side for RBs/CB; high side for WRs/QBs). By that measure Owens fits the bill.

hijack alert......A better question may be whether Chad Johnson will make it? Despite his super cool coat, I say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am shcoked at the results so far.

we had a similar off-season thing last year and most people thought no.

Moss and Harrison are locks right now too.

I am shcoked at the results so far.we had a similar off-season thing last year and most people thought no.Moss and Harrison are locks right now too.
He's been a top 2-3 wr for a decade. Has moved teams and been very successful regardless of the uniform so it's not just a system thing.

I am shcoked at the results so far.we had a similar off-season thing last year and most people thought no.Moss and Harrison are locks right now too.
He's been a top 2-3 wr for a decade. Has moved teams and been very successful regardless of the uniform so it's not just a system thing.
I get all that...he's been one of the beasts of our era.I'm shocked that the hate has worn off somewhat, or that people just can't deny it anymore.The level of hate for T.O. around here the last couple of years was off the chart. Imagine him instead of Harrison in the gun story...lol.

I get all that...he's been one of the beasts of our era.I'm shocked that the hate has worn off somewhat, or that people just can't deny it anymore.The level of hate for T.O. around here the last couple of years was off the chart. Imagine him instead of Harrison in the gun story...lol.
I agree with you about the hate. No matter what he does most of the time the haters find a way to hate him mostly due to his personality but I think most can step back from that and look at his body of work and easily conclude that he should get in. Based on the numbers there are only two guys that you can compare him against, Moss and Harrison, and they're both locks as well.

After 2005, it was in question. He had a bad reputation and his stats were good but not top-notch. He probably would have gotten in, but he was a marginal case given his peers.

Now, after two more years with double-digit TDs and another All-Pro, he'll certainly get in. If he stays healthy this year he's likely to move into the top 5 in career receiving yards, and he'll be #2 in receiving TDs.

It might not be first ballot if his personality issues flare up again, but I can't imagine him being kept out at this point.

This shouldn't be a debate. He's a wacko but he's one of the best wr's to ever play the game.
No debate? He screwed up more than one team. Besides it's tough for WR's to make it into the hall.His saying he will go into the Hall as a Cowboy is pretty arrogant and won't help.

No debate? He screwed up more than one team. Besides it's tough for WR's to make it into the hall.His saying he will go into the Hall as a Cowboy is pretty arrogant and won't help.
He's an arrogant guy, see Chad Johnson, etc., etc., etc., He's helped his teams far more than he's hurt them. He's a lock. The team he "hurt" the most he got them to the SB. I'm sure that's why the Cowboys were willing to be "hurt" by him.

Not surprised at all by the results, T.O. is a stone cold LOCK even if he didn't play another down.

That said, he's going to be 2nd all-time in TDs and at least 5th in receiving yards by season's end if he stays healthy.

Tell me about it. This time a year ago, ESPN analysts were sayinig how Chad's antics are fun, and Owens just bring his team down. NOW, that Chad's causing the stink for his team, he doesn't seem to be getting the same negative attention that Owens was before the start of his 2nd season in Philly.Having said that, at this point, there's really no question. He'll go first ballot.

If he stays healthy this year he's likely to move into the top 5 in career receiving yards, and he'll be #2 in receiving TDs.
Where is he now? Top 10 in both?If there was any doubt, this has to make him a lock. I would vote yes now if he is top 10 all time.

I voted yes, but I would vote that way if and only if Randy Moss went in with him or before him.

Moss is 4 years younger than Owens but career total wise has only 108 fewer receptions, 877 fewer receiving yards, and 5 fewer receiving TD.

If he stays healthy this year he's likely to move into the top 5 in career receiving yards, and he'll be #2 in receiving TDs.
Where is he now? Top 10 in both?If there was any doubt, this has to make him a lock. I would vote yes now if he is top 10 all time.
Owens is currently 9th all-time in receptions, 10th all-time in yards and 3rd all-time in TDs. He's only 1 behind Cris Carter for 2nd in the TD category, and needs 70 receptions to move into 5th place. He needs 935 yards receiving to pass James Lofton and move into 4th place; but Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce are ahead of Owens and are playing, so I'm going to assume Owens ends the year 5th all time.

I voted yes, but I would vote that way if and only if Randy Moss went in with him or before him.Moss is 4 years younger than Owens but career total wise has only 108 fewer receptions, 877 fewer receiving yards, and 5 fewer receiving TD.
That is a deceptive statistic. Less relevant than a player's age is his time in the league, yes Owens is 4 yrs older but he has only been in the league for 2 more years than Moss. In fact Moss has only started 10 fewer games than Owens (148 vs 158).The answer is yes Owens is a sure thing for the HOF regardless of Moss' status. (After last year Moss is also a shoe in)

I voted yes, but I would vote that way if and only if Randy Moss went in with him or before him.

Moss is 4 years younger than Owens but career total wise has only 108 fewer receptions, 877 fewer receiving yards, and 5 fewer receiving TD.
That is a deceptive statistic. Less relevant than a player's age is his time in the league, yes Owens is 4 yrs older but he has only been in the league for 2 more years than Moss. In fact Moss has only started 10 fewer games than Owens (148 vs 158).The answer is yes Owens is a sure thing for the HOF regardless of Moss' status. (After last year Moss is also a shoe in)
Yep...Owens is 8th all-time in yards per game at 75.5; he's no compiler. Now it should be said that the top 6 all-time are all current players:
Torry Holt
Anquan Boldin
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
Chad Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald

I voted yes, but I would vote that way if and only if Randy Moss went in with him or before him.Moss is 4 years younger than Owens but career total wise has only 108 fewer receptions, 877 fewer receiving yards, and 5 fewer receiving TD.
I think it is also worth noting in this comparison that, whatever distraction he may have been off the field, Owens is a gamer. I don't remember any clips of him walking off the field while a play is underway. In my mind he seems to be more dedicated to the game than Moss. He has kept himself in peak physical condition and played well through painful injuries (broken finger) I'm not an Owen's lover but I do think that the guy shows up on Sunday. I don't know if the same can always be said for Moss.

I think it is also worth noting in this comparison that, whatever distraction he may have been off the field, Owens is a gamer. I don't remember any clips of him walking off the field while a play is underway. In my mind he seems to be more dedicated to the game than Moss. He has kept himself in peak physical condition and played well through painful injuries (broken finger) I'm not an Owen's lover but I do think that the guy shows up on Sunday. I don't know if the same can always be said for Moss.
It's a moot debate IMHO b/c both are sure-fire Hall of Famers, as is Marvin Harrison.What will be interesting is if Torry Holt gets his due. It would be hard to believe the NFL would induct so many contemporaries at one position.

What will be interesting is if Torry Holt gets his due. It would be hard to believe the NFL would induct so many contemporaries at one position.
I think a lot depends on whether he plays for 2 more or 4 more, and at what level with the knee.

It's a moot debate IMHO b/c both are sure-fire Hall of Famers, as is Marvin Harrison.What will be interesting is if Torry Holt gets his due. It would be hard to believe the NFL would induct so many contemporaries at one position.
the game has changed. there seems to be a lot more passing stats these days and i don't see the HOF not adjusting to that.

What will be interesting is if Torry Holt gets his due. It would be hard to believe the NFL would induct so many contemporaries at one position.
I think a lot depends on whether he plays for 2 more or 4 more, and at what level with the knee.
No doubt...but let's say he, Moss, Harrison and Owens continue to play at a reasonably high level over the next two or three years. Do they all get in? And that's to say nothing of Isaac Bruce who isn't their direct contemporary but ranks 6th all-time for receptions, 3rd all-time for yards and 13th all-time for TDs.

Yep...Owens is 8th all-time in yards per game at 75.5; he's no compiler. Now it should said that the top 6 all-time are all current players:
Torry Holt
Anquan Boldin
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
Chad Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
No matter how you slice it, Moss is going to surpass Owens' totals the year after T.O. retires (maybe a few games longer in terms of receptions). Unless Owens holds on for way more years than I am giving him credit for, Moss should best Owens by a fair margin in total career numbers (not to take anything away from an outstanding career on Owens' part).

Poll options should be expanded. I don't believe he's a LOCK, but I do think he'll get in one day.

Users who are viewing this thread