What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this offensive? (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1(Not offensive) to 5 (Extremely offensive), how offensive was the tweet?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Trying to get some feedback from a larger audience.

In yesterday's Random Shots, I said:

"I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. And I hope this was not your Thanksgiving dinner experience..."

And then shared this tweet.

If you don't want to click on it, it's a silly joke that shows a wine bottle.

The top third says something like, "Grandma, you're looking lovely tonight".

The middle third says, "Look guys, I just thing healthcare is a universal right"

The bottom third says, "Cousin John you'r a fascist and the revolution will not spare you"

My question: On a scale of 1(Not offensive) to 5 (Extremely offensive), how offensive was the tweet?

And to be clear, I don't mean "Offensive because the joke was so lame."

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with "a little bit offensive" but only because of the political angle.  If the second line had been something like "Look guys, I just think the Packers are the team to beat the NFC" and the third line was "and another thing, what has Tom Brady ever really accomplished anyway?" or something like that, it would have been roughly the same joke and totally fine, only without the gratuitous politics.

(I get that "gratuitous politics ruins Thanksgiving for all of us" was part of the joke, but people also don't like gratuitous politics in their fantasy football emails.)  

Thanks @IvanKaramazov And for sure, for anyone that does find it even a little offensive, I'd love to hear more if you could elaborate. I've zero interest in arguing on it. I just want to better understand. Thanks. 

I got a 1 week "warning" for posting that a tennis player was ugly. So by that metric your tweet is ban-worthy and horribly offensive.

Also, looks like what you were warned for was saying of Serena Williams. "I haven't seen the movie, but just wanted to chime in and agree that Serena is trash; ugly inside and out."

Please don't do that again. 

Whoever sent you a complaint and prompted this poll needs to drink that entire bottle of wine and chill.
Yeah and also I'm not saying that it's right for someone to get offended over this joke, just that people over-react to things that push their political buttons, so it's a good idea to leave that stuff at the door.  I would have omitted this one just to avoid triggering people.

Also, looks like what you were warned for was saying of Serena Williams. "I haven't seen the movie, but just wanted to chime in and agree that Serena is trash; ugly inside and out."

Please don't do that again. 
If that is the standard, then let be known to all

I think our collective psyche is way too brittle, and people are looking for reasons to be offended. If you are putting anything out publicly, it will offend someone on some level. It's a ridiculous reality, but people are playing the "Social Media Points gathering Game".

Even if something isn't even remotely offensive, people will claim it is because it scores them 'likes' or 'retweets' and provides some sort of validation that they are seen and acknowledged. It's the same on both (really ALL) sides of the political spectrum; it truly makes me worry about society in general because this tepid reality has become the new norm. It's why I cancelled all my social media accounts- I'm not "better than" or immune from the phenomenon, I'm as much of a "like monger" as anyone else. It's just not healthy.

Not offensive but I also let things roll off my back that might bother me a little.  But I do cringe at "politics" in humor in general, even before the whole trump/biden stuff

Also not funny :P

for anything to be offensive, one of three criteria must be met - intent, ignorance or willful oblivion. anything else must be considered no more than opinion, reflective or formulated. people may find offense in anything (half the t-shirts & artistic body expressions one sees everyday now would indignify the entire population 50 yrs ago) but, without one of those qualifiers, it's on them, not the expressor. offendees are within their rights to express equal & opposite reaction as long as they also remain short of offense

for anything to be offensive, one of three criteria must be met - intent, ignorance or willful oblivion. anything else must be considered no more than opinion, reflective or formulated. people may find offense in anything (half the t-shirts & artistic body expressions one sees everyday now would indignify the entire population 50 yrs ago) but, without one of those qualifiers, it's on them, not the expressor. offendees are within their rights to express equal & opposite reaction as long as they also remain short of offense
Thank you, J. Evans Pritchard

Personally not offended, not much offends me, particularly an obvious joke. It could have been a funny joke too. 

However after what happened on 1/6/21 I could see how people would be offended. Imagine if it were November 2001 and the last line was "Let's go fly some planes into buildings!". 

Not offensive, but if you don't agree with the politics, it's fanning the flames of hatred.

My .02 is "fascist" "racist", etc are terms that are being used irresponsiblely, and applied to way too many average Americans......now maybe cousin John is a fascist.....odds are he just doesn't agree politically

Perhaps it’s being interpreted as suggesting you have to tipsy to think healthcare should be a universal right?  

Overall it’s a poorly crafted joke.

(For the record, I voted not offensive.)

Perhaps it’s being interpreted as suggesting you have to tipsy to think healthcare should be a universal right?  

Overall it’s a poorly crafted joke.

(For the record, I voted not offensive.)

Yeah, I don't know.  I think a better thread would be to make it funny. 

"Grandma you're looking lovely tonight!" 

"I'm draining my DraftKings account on Dallas. No way they lose on Thanksgiving!" 

"Have I ever told you about that Thanksgiving in college where my frat brother did it with the turkey carcass in front of everyone?" 

i shot an opinion into the air

Where it lands i do not care

So swiftly it flew the thought

Could not see reaction how fraught

Long, long after, in a forum

I saw how many others score 'em

One man's sacrament, another's excrement

All we finally know is where the money went
The fact you did this off-the-cuff is even more impressive. I salud you, sir.

Not offensive at all, but yeah probably best to keep politics out of fantasy football emails, even for the jokes.  Any reference to politics is going to get some people cooked up.

I went with "a little bit offensive" but only because of the political angle.  If the second line had been something like "Look guys, I just think the Packers are the team to beat the NFC" and the third line was "and another thing, what has Tom Brady ever really accomplished anyway?" or something like that, it would have been roughly the same joke and totally fine, only without the gratuitous politics.

(I get that "gratuitous politics ruins Thanksgiving for all of us" was part of the joke, but people also don't like gratuitous politics in their fantasy football emails.)  

This whole thread doesn't really move the needle for me but I'm bored....

Just to make sure I understand, you think the offensive part is Joe including the Tweet in his FF email/article?  Or is someone else supposed to be offended?  If the former, then I could maybe get behind someone saying they are very slightly offended because they don't want political stuff in FF.

I have acid reflux problems, so, yes that bottle of wine is offensive to me.

I voted 0 in the pole. Offensive? Are you kidding me?

I don’t get it. Not offended by it, just don’t get it.
First stage of drinking, you start hitting on grandma.  Second stage, you're getting a little looser and find it a good time to bring up politics, hopefully with grandma in your lap.  Third stage, the political discussion takes a quick left turn and your chances with grandma are shattered because she's always had a thing for cousin John who you just insulted.

I have acid reflux problems, so, yes that bottle of wine is offensive to me.

I voted 0 in the pole. Offensive? Are you kidding me?

From what I can gather, the people who are offended are just saying don't mix politics in with FF.  And to somewhat be fair to the folks that fall in that category - things have become so toxic over the last several years that there's many people that don't want to hear anything about politics - nothing at all.  Can't say that I blame them. 

I think our collective psyche is way too brittle, and people are looking for reasons to be offended. If you are putting anything out publicly, it will offend someone on some level. It's a ridiculous reality, but people are playing the "Social Media Points gathering Game".

In the camp of could not care less.
Agree with both but also grew up in the 80's. Times are different now, not sure how some people make it through the day being as offended as they are at the world.

Do I find it offensive or think anyone should find it offensive?  Not at all.  Will someone find it offensive?  Absolutely.

But I could have told you that without even looking at what we were talking about.

Yeah and also I'm not saying that it's right for someone to get offended over this joke, just that people over-react to things that push their political buttons, so it's a good idea to leave that stuff at the door.  I would have omitted this one just to avoid triggering people.

It might also be offensive to families that have struggled with alcoholism.

You hit on someone falling into both categories and it's highly offensive, strikes them right to the core of their being. 

Users who are viewing this thread