What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J Wells still unsigned? (1 Viewer)

BigRed

Footballguy
No he's not amazing but had some moments for a pathetic HOU offense last year - are there even any nibbles? I wouldn't mind Colts locking him up for cheap.

No he's not amazing but had some moments for a pathetic HOU offense last year - are there even any nibbles? I wouldn't mind Colts locking him up for cheap.
He would be very good in Pittsburgh , I do not think there is a big difference talent wise between him and Lendale White .So why wasting a first round pick on a fat and slow RB when you can get Wells for cheap.

He visited Buffalo but then they signed ANTHONY THOMAS :loco:

Teams will wait to see what happens with the draft now. If they don't like their RB options from the draft then I'd assume they'd contact Wells in the next couple of weeks

Could be a nice complementary option to Brian Westbrook in Philly. However, they would probably have to cut ways with either Mahe or Buckhalter. However, if Tapeh really progresses as he is expected to, it might be duplication of efforts.

How is he in pass protection and receiving skills?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a nice complementary option to Brian Westbrook in Philly. However, they would probably have to cut ways with either Mahe or Buckhalter. However, if Tapeh really progresses as he is expected to, it might be duplication of efforts.

Ryan Moats ?

I wouldn't mind the guy in Minnesota if they pass on RB in the draft. I hope they pick up Deangelo (or Calhoun or Drew later), but if not, I think he could be a decent backup that should come cheap.

Seriously, Wells is my favorite no-name fill-in RB for fantasy football. Anytime I picked him up on waivers after hearing Davis was injured, I'd start him and he'd get me decent-to-good points.

I'd love to see the Colts add him to the Addai/Rhodes/Mungro mix, although it probably wouldn't be good for FF purposes.

Wells did a nice job the last couple of years here, but he's really just a depth/special teams guy. In fact, rumor has it that the Texans are going to sign Antowain Smith (according to John McClain, local NFL beat writer on the radio this A.M.) sometime this week rather than bring back Wells. He'll work hard and play special teams for you, but you can find lots of guys like that. Evidently NFL GMs feel the same considering he should be inexpensive but he's still unsigned . He'll probably catch on as depth somewhere, but comparing him to Lendale White is laughable...

Could be a nice complementary option to Brian Westbrook in Philly.  However, they would probably have to cut ways with either Mahe or Buckhalter.  However, if Tapeh really progresses as he is expected to, it might be duplication of efforts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ryan Moats ?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moats is a VERY similar player to Westbrook physically (same height and 7 lb difference). We have seen Moats in a limited amount on the field, but he seems to also be similar to Westbrook in terms of running performance (home run threat) though isn't as polished as a receiver yet.Wells is more of a power runner (at least as I understand it) and that is why I thought he'd be a good sub if they cut either Mahe or Buckhalter. I doubt they would do it though as they are still hoping to have Tapeh (6'1" and 243 lbs) see the field. He is listed on their depth charts as a FB, but I think he has the skill sets to be a power halfback in that offense.

Wells did a nice job the last couple of years here, but he's really just a depth/special teams guy. In fact, rumor has it that the Texans are going to sign Antowain Smith (according to John McClain, local NFL beat writer on the radio this A.M.) sometime this week rather than bring back Wells. He'll work hard and play special teams for you, but you can find lots of guys like that. Evidently NFL GMs feel the same considering he should be inexpensive but he's still unsigned . He'll probably catch on as depth somewhere, but comparing him to Lendale White is laughable...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That rumor is true.

However you view his talent level in respect towards Lendale White (doesn't really matter to me) -- Traders2001 is correct that he'd be a great addition to the PIT backfield.

When Duce the Cupcake gets injured by week 5, Wells will be a nice compliment to FWP.

Could be a nice complementary option to Brian Westbrook in Philly.  However, they would probably have to cut ways with either Mahe or Buckhalter. 
The Iggles could just pre-emptively put Buckhalter on IR to make room for Wells. It's inevitable he'll end up there, so why wait?

This is getting ridiculous. Wells is no Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, but he's easily good enough to be on an NFL roster and I haven't even heard of any teams considering him.

Not sure why people are surprised, he has a 3.1 career ypc what's to get excited about? I'm no A-Train fan but would certainly sign him before Wells (assuming similar contracts). At least A-Train has had one good season. Wells is a below average back.

i'm a bit suprised by all the Wells love here too, although as an Ohio State guy, i'm still rooting for him.

he was inconsistant at OSU, but at his best, he was a tough, physical runner. seems like he'd be a good backup guy.

haven't been following him real closely since he went to Houston, but i can't recall reading anything negative on the guy.

Not sure why people are surprised, he has a 3.1 career ypc what's to get excited about? I'm no A-Train fan but would certainly sign him before Wells (assuming similar contracts). At least A-Train has had one good season. Wells is a below average back.
He's filled in nicely for Dom Davis the last two years. Surely you don't think he can't beat out some team's backup?

Not sure why people are surprised, he has a 3.1 career ypc what's to get excited about?  I'm no A-Train fan but would certainly sign him before Wells (assuming similar contracts).  At least A-Train has had one good season.  Wells is a below average back.
He's filled in nicely for Dom Davis the last two years. Surely you don't think he can't beat out some team's backup?
He's done ok but again he's never avg'd 4.0 ypc in a season and is well below that for his career. Looking at the rosters quickly it looks like KC or St. Louis may need backups depending on the injury situations with Faulk/Holmes. Other than that I don't really see a backup on any other team that he could beat out (which is probably why he's still unsigned). Can he play special teams? I'd guess no otherwise he probably would be signed. Teams need flexibility on their rosters and if he can't be used as a 3rd down back and can't be used on ST's, his only value is if the starter is injured (and with his career stats it's nothing to get excited about).

Can he play special teams? I'd guess no otherwise he probably would be signed. Teams need flexibility on their rosters and if he can't be used as a 3rd down back and can't be used on ST's, his only value is if the starter is injured (and with his career stats it's nothing to get excited about).
Don't have the coach film to study, but if I had to make a judgement I'd say he was probably an above average special teams player. He was often in on tackles on kicks, and was one of the deeper guys on kick off returns. He was good to have out there with people trying to kick away from Mathis and I remember at least one occasion the Texans started with the ball at midfield because teams kicked away from Mathis and right to him.

How has this thread gotten to 30 posts and lasted almost 3 months? It's JWells....What do you want from the guy. He's not any good. He's a blah foot soldier. That's it. Nobody gets excited about this guy. Move on. Nothing to see here....

You know its funny I was just thinking about teams that might be in the need for a good RB because of injuries or whatnot and instinctively I thought about Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread