What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis A Card? (1 Viewer)

Billy Ball Thorton

Footballguy
I would assume this goes for many teams but thought I would pass it along.

Cardinals | J. Lewis interested in joining team

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:38:18 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens RB Jamal Lewis is interested in playing for the Arizona Cardinals for the 2006 season. Lewis is expected to become a free agent March 3 and is envisioning a "fresh start" in free agency.

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens RB Jamal Lewis is interested in playing for the Arizona Cardinals for the 2006 season. Lewis is expected to become a free agent March 3 and is envisioning a "fresh start" in free agency.
he mentioned 4 teamspack steelers pats and cards

this is a honda

How would he ever beat out J.J. Arrington?
too many people are down on Lewis and for good reason. but the man is ultra talented, is a big shifty back with a rare blend of speed.if he moves to any team other then Baltimore and that sorry OL+QB he's moving up on my draft chart.

too many people are down on Lewis and for good reason. but the man is ultra talented, is a big shifty back with a rare blend of speed.if he moves to any team other then Baltimore and that sorry OL+QB he's moving up on my draft chart.
I beleive the guy was being very sarcastic. ;) Lewis is a monster. He did rush for over 2000 yards. That was no fluke. The team he was on last year never got it going and the O-line was really sorry. He will go to a new team and tear things up. If he does indeed go to the Cards, he becomes #3 on my draft board because of the division. Seattle, San Fran and St Louis all suck against the run and the Cards get each of them twice.....thats 600+ yards alone just from those games. He will be a dominant back again next season if he ends up with the Cards, Panthers or Steelers.

he mentioned 4 teamspack steelers pats and cards

this is a honda
Honda smonda. I did not see this posted anywhere and if it is I am sure it's hidden in a diffrent post.But give yourself a pat on the back for being so smart.

I'll be rolling on the floor laughing if Jamal goes to Arizona. Last year in the rookie draft I was desperately trying to wrench the #4 pick out of the owners hands in order to draft him (yes, I drank the Kool-aid).

I am already counting myself lucky to not have blown the pick on this last year - were this to happen it would have been 7% of my cap tied up for 3 another years with no return - instead it is for one of my rivals...

Given that y'all don't really care about that, I'll add that if the Arizona O-Line ever learns to run block, a team with Boldin and Fitz, on top of Lewis, that would be scary. If Warner could just stay healthy they might then have a shot at second place in NFC West

Umm, why? Is "card" not clear enough. I would assume most people lurking FBG this time of year know wht the title means.

This is why I sometimes hate posting. Everyone is quick to point out any flaw they can.

I really feel bad for the peole that do this. Your life must be pretty bad if you have to nit pick FBG post.

Umm, why? Is "card" not clear enough. I would assume most people lurking FBG this time of year know wht the title means.

This is why I sometimes hate posting. Everyone is quick to point out any flaw they can.

I really feel bad for the peole that do this. Your life must be pretty bad if you have to nit pick FBG post.
you critiqued yourself in your first sentence pointing out that this would apply to other teams.I was just playin' sorry if you misunderstood and it offended you

I beleive the guy was being very sarcastic. ;) Lewis is a monster. He did rush for over 2000 yards. That was no fluke. The team he was on last year never got it going and the O-line was really sorry. He will go to a new team and tear things up. If he does indeed go to the Cards, he becomes #3 on my draft board because of the division. Seattle, San Fran and St Louis all suck against the run and the Cards get each of them twice.....thats 600+ yards alone just from those games. He will be a dominant back again next season if he ends up with the Cards, Panthers or Steelers.
You think the cards have a better O-line than Baltimore?#3???

he's over one of LJ/LT/Alexander

seriously?

A RB who has only once ranked in the top 10 fantasy wise in his position rockets to #3 because he went to Arizona?

He did rush for over 2000 yards. That was no fluke.
Yes it was...2000-01 Baltimore 16 309 1364

2002-03 Baltimore 16 308 1327

2003-04 Baltimore 16 387 2066

2004-05 Baltimore 12 235 1006

2005-06 Baltimore 15 269 906

You think the cards have a better O-line than Baltimore?#3???

he's over one of LJ/LT/Alexander

seriously?

A RB who has only once ranked in the top 10 fantasy wise in his position rockets to #3 because he went to Arizona?
While I do think Lewis really stands to benefit from not being injured/in jail this offseason, and will be a better player in 2006....I cannot fathom Lewis being a top 10 RB in Zona.

Yes it was...2000-01 Baltimore 16 309 1364 (rookie season/shared time)

2002-03 Baltimore 16 308 1327 (good yr came off ACL)

2004-05 Baltimore 12 235 1006 (injured/ suspended)

2005-06 Baltimore 15 269 906 (team imploded/shared time)
Put Jamal on a semi-balanced offense with a decent qb (top 1/2) where he doesn't face 8-9 in the box every snap and he will return to fantasy stardom. The microwave mentality of FF'ers is funny sometimes. The guy has immense talent but he's just been stuck in a toilet bowl of an offense for the past few years. Depending on the situation he lands in he could have tremendous upside.

It was a fluke in that he hasn't rushed for 2000 twice. Then again, no one has ever done that. What wasn't a fluke is the talent that got him to 2000. He had two very good year's and one incredible one. He followed those up with a mediocre one and a very dissapointing one. He still has the talent to produce and is still very young, so I woudl be willing to take a chance on him, even if he ends up a Card.

Yep you are right he is worthless.6500 yds in 5 seasons , and that is counting a season where everything went wrong . I think you know what you are talking about he is worthless.

See, since 2002 i had lewis ranked among the top 5 backs talent/ability wise. I would love to blame the terrible O-line and offense on his downfall, but, chester taylor ran better than lewis in the exact same offense. so then as a lewis backer, i would love to go to the whole jail excuse, but i just dont buy that one. If i can remember correctly (too lazy to look up), almost every back who has ran for 2000 yds has played subpar the following year. i am willing to use that excuse for the 2004 season. basically, lewis is a beast, a young incredibly talented beast. not sure what happened to him last year, but i am willing to bet that if he lands on a team such as the panthers, steelers, or cards, that he will prove me right.

Yes it was...

2000-01 Baltimore 16 309 1364

Yep you are right he is worthless.6500 yds in 5 seasons , and that is counting a season where everything went wrong . I think you know what you are talking about he is worthless.
Hmm...you're reading an awful lot into the three words I posted. Where does it say he's worthless? Or maybe you were actually looking at the numbers I posted and assumed that on your own. What I did say was that the 2000 was a fluke considering he hasn't proven to even be a 1500 yard back in any other season. However in the right setting he could be a very viable fantasy back. Top 5? doubt it. Top 10? Possibly...still skeptical. Top 15 much more probable. And while you're staring longingly at your Jamal Lewis posters think about the fact that going from Baltimore to a place like Arizona isn't exactly being released into the promised land. Now if he ended up in Denver that would be an entirely different story.

It was a fluke in that he hasn't rushed for 2000 twice. Then again, no one has ever done that.
Yes but he is the only of them who never had another season of at least 1500 yards. In fact OJ,Barry and Dickerson all had 1800 yard seasons (multiple ones for Dickerson). Not sure about Terrell Davis but I know he had a couple other 1500 yard seasons.

Jamal would be nice fit for the Steelers. I'm just not sold on Fast Willie. He has no cut back ability or vision. He might break a long one once every 2 to 3 games but most of his carries go for zero to 2 yards max which does help move the chains very well. With Bettis gone (there has to be freed up cap space there) I think they could afford JL.

Not that this is possible but this is what I'm envisioning for Steelers RB situation:

Trade Willie while value is high (maybe get 3rd or 4th rounder???)

Bring in Jamal

Draft a rookie RB for depth purposes.

Veron Hayes is your inexpensive yet very productive 3rd down/2 minute drill back

The wild card is Duce. He hasn't been healthy for 2 years, but then again neither has Jamal really. I think the Steelers either roll the dice this season and keep Duce to go with Willie, or cut him as well and go after a free agent RB (like Jamal).

I have a hunch though for cap reasons, Steelers wll just stick with the 3 RB's they have and either get a minimum wage journeyman RB via free agency (i.e. Moe Williams) or draft a mid-late round rookie for depth.

Jamal would be nice fit for the Steelers. I'm just not sold on Fast Willie. He has no cut back ability or vision. He might break a long one once every 2 to 3 games but most of his carries go for zero to 2 yards max which does help move the chains very well. With Bettis gone (there has to be freed up cap space there) I think they could afford JL.

Not that this is possible but this is what I'm envisioning for Steelers RB situation:

Bring in Jamal

Veron Hayes is your inexpensive yet very productive 3rd down/2 minute drill back

The wild card is Duce. He hasn't been healthy for 2 years, but then again neither has Jamal really. I think the Steelers either roll the dice this season and keep Duce to go with Willie, or cut him as well and go after a free agent RB (like Jamal).

I have a hunch though for cap reasons, Steelers wll just stick with the 3 RB's they have and either get a minimum wage journeyman RB via free agency (i.e. Moe Williams) or draft a mid-late round rookie for depth.
Steelers will not spend the money on Jamal.

I cannot imagine what a beast Lewis would be behid the Steelers offensive line. Once he gets moving he is a bull, it is rare to see a running back play with so much power. Stick an arm out and he will take it off.

See, since 2002 i had lewis ranked among the top 5 backs talent/ability wise. I would love to blame the terrible O-line and offense on his downfall, but, chester taylor ran better than lewis in the exact same offense. so then as a lewis backer, i would love to go to the whole jail excuse, but i just dont buy that one. If i can remember correctly (too lazy to look up), almost every back who has ran for 2000 yds has played subpar the following year. i am willing to use that excuse for the 2004 season. basically, lewis is a beast, a young incredibly talented beast. not sure what happened to him last year, but i am willing to bet that if he lands on a team such as the panthers, steelers, or cards, that he will prove me right.
I don't think Taylor ran better than Lewis at all.

Panthers | Could sign J. LewisThu, 23 Feb 2006 15:31:19 -0800John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Baltimore Ravens RB Jamal Lewis could besigned by the Carolina Panthers once he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I cannot imagine what a beast Lewis would be behid the Steelers offensive line. Once he gets moving he is a bull, it is rare to see a running back play with so much power. Stick an arm out and he will take it off.
Man, just thinking about it..... I'd love for Lewis to be a Steeler.Won't happen though. He's going to be a Raven. He's saying this just to give him more leverage in negotiating with Baltimore, who wants him back and believe they are clearly the highest bidder.

It was a fluke in that he hasn't rushed for 2000 twice. Then again, no one has ever done that.
Yes but he is the only of them who never had another season of at least 1500 yards. In fact OJ,Barry and Dickerson all had 1800 yard seasons (multiple ones for Dickerson). Not sure about Terrell Davis but I know he had a couple other 1500 yard seasons.
Oh, don't get me wrong, out of the list of 2000 yard rushers Jamal is the least impressive (so far). I guess I am just saying two things:1. ANY back who rushes for 2000 can be considered elite (just look at the few guys who have done it); and

2. Jamal was a pretty good back before he rushed for 2000, and can probably get back to that form.

My main concern is that he showed some things I don't like last season. He played 'halfway' in order to not get hurt so he wouldn't miss his FA payday. He showed selfishness by placing himself in front of the team needs. However, if he is properly motivated, and in the right situation (read: Carolina or Pitt) he could be a monster, fantasy and NFL-wise.

And with all the baggage surrounding him, he might actually be a good value on both fronts.

Bring in Jamal

Jamal would be a monster in Pitt. Man that would be scary! As a Jamal owner in a 32 team dynasty that would probably be my ideal spot for him. But like someone else already said. Pitt probably won't shell out any bread on a RB.

Cards won't spend BIG money and Denny has ties w/ Micheal Bennett. I see him coming to ARZ and will be the starting RB. This will allow them to still bring JJ along, if needed.

I beleive he was injured in at least one of those seasons. You can't just go out and rush for 2000 yards if you have no talent.

Cards won't spend BIG money and Denny has ties w/ Micheal Bennett.  I see him coming to ARZ and will be the starting RB.  This will allow them to still bring JJ along, if needed.
This is Denny's last year to get somthing done. No way does he lays his hopes on Michael Bennett. They will draft or get someone, but next year starter will not be Bennett. He may even be on the roster because he will be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
On sportsradio this morning... Jurecki reported that Jamal Lewis was in town today. Apparently, one of the Cards' players was also on the flight and actually called Jurecki to ask him what the word was. Jurecki only knew that they were interested in Lewis. No link it was on xtra sports 910 this morning on my way into the office.

That should really end with "nit pick a FBG post".

Lewis was on the Afternoon Blitz today on Sirius NFL radio. He didn't mention the Pats. He mentioned Pittsburgh, Arizona, Minnesota and Carolina as teams being "good fits" for him. He also blamed everyone except himself for his poor season last year.

- I didn't get enough carries.

- I ran the same way I did in '03 and '04, but I got hit in the backfield last year.

- The Ravens went back on a promise to re-do my contract before last season.

- They wanted to find out if Chester Taylor could be a lead RB for them.

- My porridge was too cold.

Yadda Yadda....

:rolleyes:

He also claimed the report that he told Michael McCreary he was "protecting himself" on the field due to unhappiness over his contract situation was completely false. Said that was McCreary's "version" of their conversation, and that reporters took it for gospel.

Lewis was on the Afternoon Blitz today on Sirius NFL radio. He didn't mention the Pats. He mentioned Pittsburgh, Arizona, Minnesota and Carolina as teams being "good fits" for him. He also blamed everyone except himself for his poor season last year.

- I ran the same way I did in '03 and '04, but I got hit in the backfield last year.

Yadda Yadda....

He also claimed the report that he told Michael McCreary he was "protecting himself" on the field due to unhappiness over his contract situation was completely false. Said that was McCreary's "version" of their conversation, and that reporters took it for gospel.
isn't Jamal Lewis a convicted felon? You think this guy's above lying?

GUys you have to agree that he would do very well in a Card uniform.

Listen even if there OL is not that great , they still wont face 8 man lines . With Warner , Fitz , Bolden , Jhonson and Lewis no defense will feel confident when they will face those guys.

Plus Jamal not being the guy they want to stop ( because so many weapons ) he will shred those defenses .

GUys you have to agree that he would do very well in a Card uniform.

Listen even if there OL is not that great , they still wont face 8 man lines . With Warner , Fitz , Bolden , Jhonson and Lewis no defense will feel confident when they will face those guys.

Plus Jamal not being the guy they want to stop ( because so many weapons ) he will shred those defenses .
The way to stop Jamal Lewis is to nab him before he gets 2 inches past the line of scrimmage. In recent seasons, the Ravens O Line did that for other teams, as Jamal often had nowhere to run and does not have good lateral quickness at the line of scrimmage. I don't see the Cards being much different, but it is true that he will see less 8 man fronts. You could still see the runner Lewis could be last year, watching him run downhill is a thing of beauty.

Yadda Yadda....

This is a pretty good example of the self denial that many pro athletes practice. There's some truth to it; the Ravens' offensive line had a mediocre year in 2005. Jamal's performance was just one of many disappointments for the Ravens last year.Having said that, he remains a huge, fast RB with the ability to both run over and past defenders. Given the right fit, he could still be a big factor in this league. I don't have a clue as to where that fit might be but it's fun to speculate.

Users who are viewing this thread