What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis indicted on drug conspiracy charges... (1 Viewer)

They probably are after someone else who deals more than 5 kilos and are hoping for Lewis to maybe narc someone out and cut him an easy deal, but what will the NFL do? Even if Lewis cuts a deal to narc, will the NFL step in? I think so.
I don't think the NFL will do anything unless Jamal Lewis pleads guilty to something. This isn't use - it is dealing - and it was years ago - long before he was a memberof the NFLPA. I don't think the NFL will do anything absent a conmviction, in which case JLew has more than the NFL's sanction to worry about - fed'l drug conspiracy convictions carry a minimum sentencing in the 20-year range.This actually reminds me of the Tony Martin incident from the mid-90s when the gov't was pressuring Tony to flip on his buddies and instead he took it to trial and was acquitted.

Baltimoresun.com

Ravens pledge support for J. Lewis

Team expresses optimism for acquital

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published February 25, 2004

Much as they did four years ago when Ray Lewis faced a murder trial, the Ravens pledged support for Jamal Lewis after his indictment Wednesday on federal drug charges.

Jamal Lewis, who is coming off the second-highest rushing total in NFL history, is accused of trying to help a childhood friend buy cocaine in Atlanta during the summer of 2000.

Team officials said they were "caught off guard" when they learned the news late Wednesday afternoon, but the club expressed optimism that the All-Pro running back will be cleared of the charges. Lewis, who is somewhere in Florida, told the Ravens that he is returning to Atlanta to turn himself in to authorities.

"We believe in due process, and Jamal will have his day in court," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement. "There are two sides to every story. From what we know of the charges, these seem out of character for the Jamal we know."

Beyond this brief statement, Ravens officials declined to comment further.

If Lewis is found guilty of any charges, his future in the NFL is uncertain.

In November 2001, Lewis was suspended four games while on injured reserve for a second violation of the NFL's substance and alcohol abuse policy. The league did not disclose the details of the violation, in keeping with its policy.

The NFL may have the right to suspend Lewis up to one year for another violation under league policies or it could refrain from any penalty because the alleged incident occurred before Lewis signed his six-year, $35.3 million contract with the Ravens. Lewis was the fifth player drafted overall in April 2000.

The NFL and Lewis' agent, Jeff Deutsch, also declined to comment.

Lewis' indictment stirred up memories of January 2000, when Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was charged with taking part in murder of two men in Atlanta after Super Bowl XXXIV.

The Ravens threw their support behind Ray Lewis. Owner Art Modell acted as a character witness at his bond hearing. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor obstruction-of-justice charges.

Jamal Lewis has hired Edward T.M. Garland and his partner, Don Samuel, the same two lawyers who represented Ray Lewis during the 2000 trial.

Lewis turned to them about a year ago concerning this situation.

"We've been down this road before," one team official said last night.

Team officials have taken a confident stance and apparently have not discussed any contingency plans at running back.

Lewis gained 2,066 yards this season, falling 39 yards short of Eric Dickerson's NFL record. The centerpiece of the Ravens' offense, Lewis accounted for 42 percent of the total offense for the Ravens, who won their first division title in franchise history.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he knew he was going to be hit with these charges a year ago?

I think, in Keeper leagues (most redrafts haven't drafted yet anyways) that now is EXACTLY the time to deal Lewis.There is no doubt in my mind that Lewis does not play this year and although his value is low now, it will certainly be lower when it is declared 100% that he won't play. At least now about 50% of people think he will somehow play this year  :wacko: That's 6 of the owners in your 12-team league you have to work with.... Get to work. :boxing:
Okay, I am an owner in your league. I have Lewis and want to trade him to you. What will you give me for my stud RB? In addition, what would you give me if you are one of the 50% that thinks he will play. Assume in both instances, you have a need at RB (almost all owners do).And thanks to Huskylaw and smlevin for their insights, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt that Jamal is the main objective here for the feds. They are trying to pressure him into ratting out some higher players. And if this does go to trial, I don't think the feds can get all 12 jurors to agree on guilt. The defense will do their homework and make sure there are a couple of candidates on the jury that will vote not guilty no matter what. It is real easy to get an indictment but alot tougher to get a conviction. I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn and watched Law and Order. On that show they are always getting indictments for the wrongly accused and later to find out someone else did it. As a Lewis owner that is what I am gonna keep telling myself that this is just a bad episode of Law and Order. Good news for my Steelers though.

Jamal won't have the best lawyer in the land. I'm sure he'll have 3-5 of them.
While I'll wait to see more info before deciding what I think should happen to Lewis, I do feel the need to comment on your "he'll have the best lawyer" comment.Dude, we aren't talking about OJ and the LAPD here. We aren't talking about the Atlanta PD or a judge somewhere trying to get noteriety.

Federal cases are tried in federal courts. This will not be a circus that good lawyers can exploit. This will be closed doors, no BS, just the facts ma'am, hearings.

Ray Lewis, OJ, etc, etc...they all had the advantage of being tried in the public eye at the same time they were tried in court. That won't be the case here. You'll hear very little about the case until it's over.

FTR, I think you are way off on the "if he didn't do anything, then it's not a crime either." It's an extreme example, but should the feds just stop hunting terrorists? After all, most of them haven't done anything...yet. By time they do, it's too late to hunt them down. Your argument is weak.

That said, the Feds do sometimes go after people hard to make them talk. Whether that's happening here or not is TBD.

The government does move slow, so Lewis may play this year before the trial even starts. Again, TBD.

I highly doubt that Jamal is the main objective here for the feds. They are trying to pressure him into ratting out some higher players. And if this does go to trial, I don't think the feds can get all 12 jurors to agree on guilt. The defense will do their homework and make sure there are a couple of candidates on the jury that will vote not guilty no matter what. It is real easy to get an indictment but alot tougher to get a conviction. I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn and watched Law and Order. On that show they are always getting indictments for the wrongly accused and later to find out someone else did it. As a Lewis owner that is what I am gonna keep telling myself that this is just a bad episode of Law and Order. Good news for my Steelers though.
This might be the funniest thing I have read on these boards of all time. :lol: :lol: :rotflmao:

fed'l drug conspiracy convictions carry a minimum sentencing in the 20-year range.
If our federal government actually sentences someone to 20 years in prison for having a meeting to discuss a drug deal ONCE but never going through with it, then our system is clearly fubar.as for all the Tyson junk, that's a terrible comparison. Didn't Don King get him like a tax attorney or something, who was falling asleep at trial or made some other type of egregious errors? He clearly did NOT get the best counsel money could buy like other wealthy defendants normally do.

If our federal government actually sentences someone to 20 years in prison for having a meeting to discuss a drug deal ONCE but never going through with it, then our system is clearly fubar.
Let's say the FBI talk to a suspected terrorist about exploding a dirty bomb in Washington DC, and they meet with the suspected terrorist and at the meeting the suspect arranges to explode a dirty bomb in Washington DC, would you think that suspected terrorist did nothing wrong?Because the analogy is exactly the same. Jamal Lewis is on tape agreeing to arrange a deal in hard drugs.

Let's say the FBI talk to a suspected terrorist about exploding a dirty bomb in Washington DC, and they meet with the suspected terrorist and at the meeting the suspect arranges to explode a dirty bomb in Washington DC, would you think that suspected terrorist did nothing wrong?Because the analogy is exactly the same. Jamal Lewis is on tape agreeing to arrange a deal in hard drugs.
MURDER/TERRORISM IS NOT THE SAME AS A DRUG DEAL.People who buy drugs WANT drugs.People who get murdered, don't want to be killed. If I sell coke to a bunch of drug addicts, I don't think that is causing nearly as much damage as a terrorist bombing.If you think murder and dealing drugs are one and the same, then I guess we just don't see eye to eye here.

MURDER/TERRORISM IS NOT THE SAME AS A DRUG DEAL.People who buy drugs WANT drugs.People who get murdered, don't want to be killed. If I sell coke to a bunch of drug addicts, I don't think that is causing nearly as much damage as a terrorist bombing.If you think murder and dealing drugs are one and the same, then I guess we just don't see eye to eye here.
I'm glad you feel that way, but our federal govt. does not.

If our federal government actually sentences someone to 20 years in prison for having a meeting to discuss a drug deal ONCE but never going through with it, then our system is clearly fubar.as for all the Tyson junk, that's a terrible comparison. Didn't Don King get him like a tax attorney or something, who was falling asleep at trial or made some other type of egregious errors? He clearly did NOT get the best counsel money could buy like other wealthy defendants normally do.
The Tyson thing was brought up because azzgrover said no athlete/celeb would ever go to jail. Tyson did.

If Lewis did what he's accused of (& supposedly, it's on tape), he knew better...period. He committed a crime. Intent to distribute cocaine is a serious offense, whether it was 4 months ago or 4 years. If he's found guilty, he should do time like anybody else. That being said, I hope he's innocent for his own sake, as well as the NFL. I have Musa Smith in 2 out of 3 dynasty leagues, but that has nothing to do with how I feel about this case. I don't wish anything bad on anybody, but again, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.If you want to give him a break...fine. But hasn't he had a couple breaks? And anybody who thinks selling drugs doesn't hurt anybody is a fool, IMO. Like I said, though, I hope it works out for the best.

rumor is the feds are going after some big fish... this one goes beyond the players that pull the medellin cartel's & the russian mafia's strings... all the way to the top... yoko warner.* apart from fed issue, conspiracy to distribute five kilos of cocaine sounds pretty serious to me. in texas, don't you get the death penalty just for getting caught with a pot seed?

* apart from fed issue, conspiracy to distribute five kilos of cocaine sounds pretty serious to me. in texas, don't you get the death penalty just for getting caught with a pot seed?
Georgia isn't much safer than Texas, especially if you're not white.one thing I don't quite get is this:
A second count charges Lewis with using a cellphone to carry out the conspiracy.
So...if he used a carrier pigeon or perhaps a telegram, would that have been considered legal? What about a walkie talkie? 2 cans and a string? Morse code? Sign language? Email? Instant Messaging? Snail Mail?What's the deal with using a cellphone being considered a separate offense? :confused:

I bet Jamal Lewis dynasty owners are going to be tossing and turning tonight.
Ha ha, the first thing I thought of was the kid who owns Jamal in our 3-keeper league. He lucked into an 11-3 record this year, ended up 2nd in the regular season standings with the 7th highest point total out of 12 (meaning the 11th overall draft pick next year), got taken apart by me in the semis (139-82), and now has to choose 3 of the following: Lewis (fed. indictment), William Green (jail), Buckhalter, Duckett, C. Rogers, K. Robinson, and ten people pick before him in the draft. We start 2 RB's and a WR/RB, which means the RB pickings are gonna be mighty slim at #11 overall.Oh yeah, and last place in our league wears a diaper at the Super Bowl party and serves everyone else drinks. :P

<>i have no link<>I was listening to JT the brick tonight about this situation and the one thing that stood out was so far from this investigation their has all ready been 30 convictions.he did not say what the the convictions were for so take this tidbit and do what you want with it

<>i have no link<>I was listening to JT the brick tonight about this situation and the one thing that stood out was so far from this investigation their has all ready been 30 convictions.he did not say what the the convictions were for so take this tidbit and do what you want with it
Yahoo Story (AP, actually)
The indictment came out of a drug investigation that has led to 30 convictions and helped dismantle a cocaine-trafficking ring in the city, Duffey said. He refused to say whether Lewis was tied to that drug ring.
Haven't read the whole thread so may have been posted already.

Yahoo Story (AP, actually)Haven't read the whole thread so may have been posted already.
thanks for finding the link :thumbup:

Ha ha, the first thing I thought of was the kid who owns Jamal in our 3-keeper league. He lucked into an 11-3 record this year, ended up 2nd in the regular season standings with the 7th highest point total out of 12 (meaning the 11th overall draft pick next year), got taken apart by me in the semis (139-82), and now has to choose 3 of the following: Lewis (fed. indictment), William Green (jail), Buckhalter, Duckett, C. Rogers, K. Robinson, and ten people pick before him in the draft. We start 2 RB's and a WR/RB, which means the RB pickings are gonna be mighty slim at #11 overall.Oh yeah, and last place in our league wears a diaper at the Super Bowl party and serves everyone else drinks. :P
at least he won't have to miss an exciting play while going to the bathroom.

What's the deal with using a cellphone being considered a separate offense? :confused:
I think the reasoon for this is that cell phones are much harder to tap. I think that for a long time, drug lords completely avoided police by using a cell phone once for a major deal, then never using that phone again. THis got the feds antsy. So, they made a law stating that if this is how you deal drugs, then that method is a crime too. I think this is the reduced charge that is most likely to stick.

MURDER/TERRORISM IS NOT THE SAME AS A DRUG DEAL.
I would agree wiht you.However, as another poster has said, the government does not.In faact, they promote the idea that buying drugs+ supporting terrorism. In my limited experience, people that do time for federal drug charges do a lot more time than rapists, and often as much or more time than murderers.

Georgia isn't much safer than Texas, especially if you're not white.one thing I don't quite get is this:So...if he used a carrier pigeon or perhaps a telegram, would that have been considered legal? What about a walkie talkie? 2 cans and a string? Morse code? Sign language? Email? Instant Messaging? Snail Mail?What's the deal with using a cellphone being considered a separate offense? :confused:
Exactly what I was wondering. Without ranting, the drug laws in the USA are insane. Apparently nobody in our government knows the before & after affects of the brilliant prohibition on alcohol. :no: The charges scare me to death. I'm not kidding. Anyone that has rose above the culture of the streets will still have friends that haven't. Many illegal things go on to try and make ends meet. For the life of me I don't know how you can charge somebody with "conspiracy" to distribute drugs with out any drugs or money trading hands. I guess we all better be careful. I'm pretty sure I'll be in the electric chair soon enough for saying " I wish he was dead" in anger.My best wishes go out to Jamal and his family.

With respect, you missed my point. I wasn't saying they are the same thing. I was making an analogy.The point I was making was both are viewed as serious crimes by the government and if being caught on tape planning to do one form of serious crime (the example of a terrorist bieng caught on tape planning to explode a dirty bomb) is enough to PROSECUTE AND CONVICT in one then it is also enough to convict in the other (the fact that Lewis was caught on tape planning to do a drug deal).

I think, in Keeper leagues (most redrafts haven't drafted yet anyways) that now is EXACTLY the time to deal Lewis.There is no doubt in my mind that Lewis does not play this year and although his value is low now, it will certainly be lower when it is declared 100% that he won't play. At least now about 50% of people think he will somehow play this year  :wacko: That's 6 of the owners in your 12-team league you have to work with.... Get to work. :boxing:
Okay, I am an owner in your league. I have Lewis and want to trade him to you. What will you give me for my stud RB? In addition, what would you give me if you are one of the 50% that thinks he will play. Assume in both instances, you have a need at RB (almost all owners do).And thanks to Huskylaw and smlevin for their insights, much appreciated.
I don't agree that "almost all owners have a need at RB" in keeper leagues. I think most keeper leagues only allow you to keep so many players and many limit that to 1 RB. In a 12-team league -- keep 1 RB, almost everybody is pretty happy with their RB. I do think that if an owner were unhappy with there current RB keeper (not me) AND believed that Lewis might play this year (not me) that they might give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for maybe a 3rd and 4th rounder maybe. Give the Lewis owner a real chance to get replace Lewis with picks like a D Davis and Q Griffin (assuming Denver doesn't draft a RB) with the two 1st rounders. I think the guy who thinks Lewis is fine would definitely be willing to do something like that to get a franchise back in a keeper league. And I don't think it would be too terrible of a deal for the Lewis owner if I am right and Lewis is done -- especially if he drafts wise with the 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks.

Not enough details of the alleged incidents to figure out what happened, but this could be an arm twisting by prosecutors who are really after his alleged co-conspirators.If guilty, isn't this his third strike and a 1-year suspension?
Another load of bullcrap out of your mouth...... Just because you own him in 60 of your 120 guppie leagues doesn't make you a legal expert."Star NFL running back Jamal Lewis was indicted Wednesday afternoon by a federal grand jury in Atlanta on drug conspiracy charges"Do you know what the above sentance means? Probably not, so I'll tell you......A group of civilians serving jury duty heard the evidence and found enough there for Jamal Lewis to get arrested and charged with SERIOUS FEDERAL DRUG TRAFFICING CRIMES. You don't just walk away from something like this. As stated above, the federal DA has a EXTREMELY HIGH conviction rate. This guy is in trouble.

Aside from Jamal Lewis being a shameless thug that has a football career riddled with drug-related instances, the disgusting thing about this situation is guys like Aaron28 coming on this board and trying to say that Jamal Lewis did nothing wrong, especially because it was 4 years ago and the deal never went down. Man, that's sad when you let this petty game we call fantasy football cloud your judgement to the point that you support criminals like Jamal Lewis who now has not only used drugs extensively but has also been caught in a conspriracy to distribute them and has been indicted by a grand jury. Jamal Lewis is a thug who needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. His playing days in the NFL should be over. Who cares about your fantasy football team Aaron28. Aaron28 sure has lost a lot of credibility in this thread, but I guess all that matters to him is that Jamal Lewis score touchdowns on Sundays, nevermind upholding the law so long as Aaron28 is happy with his fantasy team. :no:

Aside from Jamal Lewis being a shameless thug that has a football career riddled with drug-related instances, the disgusting thing about this situation is guys like Aaron28 coming on this board and trying to say that Jamal Lewis did nothing wrong, especially because it was 4 years ago and the deal never went down. Man, that's sad when you let this petty game we call fantasy football cloud your judgement to the point that you support criminals like Jamal Lewis who now has not only used drugs extensively but has also been caught in a conspriracy to distribute them and has been indicted by a grand jury. Jamal Lewis is a thug who needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. His playing days in the NFL should be over. Who cares about your fantasy football team Aaron28. Aaron28 sure has lost a lot of credibility in this thread, but I guess all that matters to him is that Jamal Lewis score touchdowns on Sundays, nevermind upholding the law so long as Aaron28 is happy with his fantasy team. :no:
That's your opinion. As Aaron has his. That is permitted and encouraged, especially on a forum.First and foremost, In this country (U.S.A.) you are innocent (not a thug) until proven guilty. Since this is the internet, I don't know where you hail from, but Americans are given the benefit of the doubt and are not immediately branded criminals because a police agency had arrested and/or indicted them for a crime.That my firend, still requires a court and jury of peers. Thank God and the U.S. Constitution for that! :thumbup:

No offense meant, but I could care less about anyone in this forum's opinions on ANYTHING except as it relates to the NFL and fantasy football. I am not the Message Board police, but we have 4 pages of discussion and 2/3 of it is utterly useless blathering. You wanna go back and forth on whether the war on drugs is a good idea or whether Jamal Lewis is gonna be declared a Saint post-football, take it to the Free-For-All and enjoy.As for me, I come to the Shark Pool for breaking information and the best fantasy football analysis around. Would be nice to actually hear some RELEVANT thoughts on this topic.sorry for venting... :cX:edited to add: Oh, the irony of posting a post about other posters staying on topic while your very post does not...

That is not what aaron is saying. If you could get your Jamal hatred in check for just 2 seconds, you would be able to see that.

That my firend, still requires a court and jury of peers. Thank God and the U.S. Constitution for that! :thumbup:
Yes, thank God, fantasy football message boards don't run the U.S. legal system. (ahemm Aaron 28). While, it remains to be seen whether Jamal Lewis is convicted under this indictment, the guy has had several run-ins with the law in his past, and already has two strikes against him under the NFL substance abuse policy....he didn't get his previous drugs from the tooth fairy. Given his checkered history with law authorities, and his prior drug-related activities, I reserve my right to call him a THUG and a CRIMINAL. (and that's not even considering his grand jury indictment).

Now, want a fantasy football angle from all this? Jamal Lewis = Bam Morris

already has two strikes against him under the NFL substance abuse policy....he didn't get his previous drugs from the tooth fairy. Given his checkered history with law authorities, and his prior drug-related activities, I reserve my right to call him a THUG and a CRIMINIAL. :yes:
Let he who would have failed fewer than two drug tests at any time in the past 3.5 years cast the first stone.

Yes, thank God, fantasy football message boards don't run the U.S. legal system. (ahemm Aaron 28).
:rolleyes: get over yourself dude.I bet you're about as fun as a punch in the face.

Wow, what country did I wake up in this morning? Now your saying that an indictment means automatic guilt and conviction and labeling suchs as thug and criminal. I'm not saying that Lewis is a saint or shouldn't do time if this is all true, but let's give him the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. With thinking like this it really scares me to think about the future of this country when people forget about the Constitution and what it stands for.

Wow, what country did I wake up in this morning? Now your saying that an indictment means automatic guilt and conviction and labeling suchs as thug and criminal. I'm not saying that Lewis is a saint or shouldn't do time if this is all true, but let's give him the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. With thinking like this it really scares me to think about the future of this country when people forget about the Constitution and what it stands for.
Oh geez, go back and reread my statement. :rolleyes: I'm labelling Jamal Lewis a thug and a criminal based on his prior offenses/drug activity. I believe in due process, and this latest grand jury indictment of Jamal Lewis doesn't mean guilt, but the fact he's inthis position doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering he already has a checkered past littered with drug use. Given his past, he's already been proven to be a thug and a criminal, this grand jury indictment doesn't change that, though if convicted it certainly keeps in line with his known character. Got it? It's not rocket science.

Two words: Donald IgwebuikeIf this is indeed true, it just stuns me how stupid he is. "Hmmm... I'm about to be making millions of dollars for years to come. I know, I'll start dealing drugs..." :no:

Oh geez, go back and reread my statement. :rolleyes: I'm labelling Jamal Lewis a thug and a criminal based on his prior offenses/drug activity. I believe in due process, and this latest grand jury indictment of Jamal Lewis doesn't mean guilt, but the fact he's inthis position doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering he already has a checkered past littered with drug use. Given his past, he's already been proven to be a thug and a criminal, this grand jury indictment doesn't change that, though if convicted it certainly keeps in line with his known character. Got it? It's not rocket science.
Where are you getting past drug activity and prior offenses? Some girl while he was in high school handed him some clothes in a bag for free who wouldn' t do that at that age. I don't hear you call Lavernous Coles a thug or criminal. And as far as the NFL is concerned with Jamal his past offenses might have involved steroids or alcohol. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions that it was recreational drugs that got him in trouble. I don't know the guy but I think people like to jump to conclusions and label people too often in our society nowadays before they really know all the facts surrounding a person. Ok now I fell off my soapbox, are you happy now?

Baltimoresun.com

The FBI affidavit sworn to by Special Agent Hoyt A. Mahaley Jr. described a roughly three-week period between June 23, 2000, and July 19, 2000, when authorities used an unidentified source to set up a fictional cocaine deal.

According to the affidavit, the informant first contacted Lewis by cell phone June 23, and the two allegedly discussed arranging cocaine sales for Jackson and agreed that the three of them would meet later that day. In the secretly recorded conversation, the informant agreed to "sell the narcotics to Lewis' associates for a price that Lewis can 'tax,'" or mark up for a profit, the affidavit said.

Lewis' response, according to the affidavit, was, "Yeah."

A few hours later, the three met at Houston's Restaurant on Peachtree Road in Atlanta, with Lewis pulling up in the Hummer, according to the affidavit.

Inside the restaurant, they were recorded as they discussed price and means for drug sales over dinner, the affidavit said.

Jackson and the informant met again July 12 and July 19, but Lewis did not attend or participate in any of the subsequent meetings or phone calls, according to the affidavit.

Federal agents arrested Jackson on July 19, when he arrived at the informant's apartment allegedly expecting to purchase as much as 50 kilograms of cocaine -- which could have carried a price as high as $1 million.

After Jackson's arrest, federal agents found a .40-caliber semi-automatic Ruger handgun with a bullet in the chamber and several bullets in the magazine stashed under the driver's seat of Jackson's green Honda Civic, the affidavit said.

Federal court records indicate that Jackson was charged after his arrest with drug offenses in U.S. District Court, but the case against him was subsequently dropped. It could not be determined why last night.

Jackson made an initial appearance on the current indictment yesterday in federal court in Atlanta and was released on $25,000 bond.

The drug conspiracy charge against Lewis and Jackson is fairly standard in U.S. courts across the country, veteran defense lawyers said last night. If convicted, the men could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in federal prison because of the amount of cocaine they are accused of conspiring to attempt to distribute.

"This is the sort of run-of-the-mill federal drug charge," said Baltimore defense attorney Kenneth W. Ravenell, who has represented many accused drug dealers. Ravenell said last night that it was impossible to know all of the evidence the government could have against Lewis, but he said it was not highly unusual to have a charges come in a complex drug investigation sometimes several years after the alleged activity.

If our federal government actually sentences someone to 20 years in prison for having a meeting to discuss a drug deal ONCE but never going through with it, then our system is clearly fubar.
Bad analogy. 1)Terrorist do NOT equal Americans dealing drugs.2) the federal sentencing guidelines regarding drug convictions are FUBAR beyonf beliefe - these sentencing guidelines allow a LOT of wiggle versus terrorists, murder, rape, arson, etc. so that these violent criminals can be out in 4-6 years, but drug crimes require minimum sentencing with no wiggle for the judge.Given the overburdened prison systems, judges and parole boards often release violent criminals early while hand tied to keeping drug traffickers in jail for minimum amounts of time. That's the FACTS about your federal government - wake up to it, it's a real problem. Our streets and homes get more and more violent b/c of the release of violent criminals and the proliferation of guns on the streets, while nonviolent criminals, such as someone who sold a couple ounces of weed within 3 miles of a school, is in jail fro 10+ years with no hope of getting out early.If THAT isn't FUBAR, I don't know what is - you can shoot a man in anger and you are out in 5 years, sell a bag of weed and you are in jail for a decade.

1)Terrorist do NOT equal Americans dealing drugs.
Tsk. tsk.Clearly you haven't been watching the anti-drug commercials lately. They clearly lay it out there that buying drugs is helping terrorists. It's a public service message- and- it's one to grow on.

No offense meant, but I could care less about anyone in this forum's opinions on ANYTHING except as it relates to the NFL and fantasy football. I am not the Message Board police, but we have 4 pages of discussion and 2/3 of it is utterly useless blathering. You wanna go back and forth on whether the war on drugs is a good idea or whether Jamal Lewis is gonna be declared a Saint post-football, take it to the Free-For-All and enjoy.As for me, I come to the Shark Pool for breaking information and the best fantasy football analysis around. Would be nice to actually hear some RELEVANT thoughts on this topic.sorry for venting... :cX:edited to add: Oh, the irony of posting a post about other posters staying on topic while your very post does not...
now you done made me do a post about posts about posts.

Federal agents arrested Jackson on July 19, when he arrived at the informant's apartment allegedly expecting to purchase as much as 50 kilograms of cocaine -- which could have carried a price as high as $1 million.
Aaron - if you were looking for an "overt act in furtherance" to slam dunk the case - there it is. JLew became "involved" in the conspiracy with his agreement, and Jackson went ahead with the conspiracy, thus binding his co-conspirator - JLew. The only way he could have withdrawn from the conspiracy was an overt act indicating unwillingness to be involved - going to the cops is always one the lawbooks use, but we know how that would have turned out.It sounds like the evidence against JLew himself is thin and a jury would probably let him out if he didn't attend any meetings after saying "yeah" and if he wasn't otherwise involved in any drug deal. He could have easily been "relaying a message to Jackson" for all we know and it was Jackson alone in the deal. In short - they want JLew to testify as to the conversation so they can nail Jackson for showing up to buy cocaine.

Here's the latest from the Baltimore Sun following today's arraignment. Things actually sound a little better now than they did before.Baltimore Ravens star running back Jamal Lewis entered a not guilty plea and bail was set at $500,000 today in his arraignment in U.S. District Court in Atlanta.Lewis was freed after posting bond and also was granted permission to travel within the continental United States while awaiting trial -- a condition that would allow him to travel with the Ravens.Additionally, he agreed to have no contact with childhood friend Angelo "Pero" Jackson, who Lewis is accused of trying to help purchase as much as 50 kilograms of cocaine in the summer of 2000 in a deal that turned out to be an FBI sting operation.In court, federal magistrate E. Clayton Scofield III described the charges against Lewis, who was wearing a light gray pinstripe suit, light blue shirt and matching handkerchief.Lewis, 24, is charged with conspiring to possess, with intent to distribute, 5 kilograms of cocaine and using a cell phone in the commission of a drug crime.He was asked by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephanie Gabay Smith, "Sir, is your name Jamal Lewis?""Yes," Lewis replied.When asked if Lewis understood the charges against him, he also replied, "Yes."Lewis' attorney, Edward T.M. Garland, accompanied him along with three other attorneys.The hearing was in a 17th-floor courtroom of the Richard Russell Federal Building and Courthouse in Atlanta. It had been scheduled for a different courtroom, but was moved to a larger room to accommodate the media."I am innocent, and I thank everyone for their continued support," Lewis said as he stood in the rain after the hearing.Garland added that the same recorded telephone conversation that is being used by federal prosecutors to charge Lewis may instead prove Lewis' innocence. The meaning of the tapes, he said, is open to interpretation.Lewis, the NFL's offensive player of the year, was indicted yesterday on the federal drug charges, which date back nearly four years to his life before pro-football fame -- after the former University of Tennessee player had been drafted by the NFL but before he signed a six-year, $35.3 million contract with the Ravens.No drugs were purchased.But an FBI affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Atlanta and made public yesterday describes audiotaped conversations about drug weight and price among Lewis, his friend and a confidential FBI source, including a meeting at a restaurant on Atlanta's Peachtree Road, where Lewis arrived driving a black Hummer.Lewis turned himself in to authorities today after traveling from Florida.Garland, the Atlanta defense attorney representing the player, said Lewis did not try to help his childhood friend buy the cocaine. Garland claimed a cocaine buy wasn't discussed during the restaurant conversation among Lewis, Jackson, and the woman who turned out to be a police informant."Jamal Lewis wants everyone to know that he is not guilty, that he has not been involved in drugs," Garland said. "He's extremely disappointed that this is happening."Garland accused the informant of setting up Lewis and "trumping up what happened" in an attempt to get out of jail. He accused authorities of trying to "create a crime where there isn't one."Garland said there would be a trial in the case but it was too early to say whether it could coincide with the NFL season.

Users who are viewing this thread