What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamarcus Russell = Hefty Righty? (1 Viewer)

I would probably be a horrible GM cuz I would run it like a fantasy team. Not that I would go RB/RB in every draft but I hate the thought of a rookie QB in rd1. Percentages say they wont be worth squat for a couple of years so I would rather have the other teams draft them and grab them via FA when the growing pains are over.
The problem isn't that QBs shouldn't go in the 1st, it's that the bad teams feel a need to take QBs even when they don't warrant the selection. Russell over Thomas and Calvin is one example. Alex Smith over Braylon Edwards is another. If you look at the years where the QBs, even before the combine, warranted high selections, they've done fine. The sad part is, bad franchises often feel compelled to reach for a "franchise QB" without being objective and truthful enough about that "franchise".

I would probably be a horrible GM cuz I would run it like a fantasy team. Not that I would go RB/RB in every draft but I hate the thought of a rookie QB in rd1. Percentages say they wont be worth squat for a couple of years so I would rather have the other teams draft them and grab them via FA when the growing pains are over.
The problem isn't that QBs shouldn't go in the 1st, it's that the bad teams feel a need to take QBs even when they don't warrant the selection. Russell over Thomas and Calvin is one example. Alex Smith over Braylon Edwards is another. If you look at the years where the QBs, even before the combine, warranted high selections, they've done fine. The sad part is, bad franchises often feel compelled to reach for a "franchise QB" without being objective and truthful enough about that "franchise".
David Carr was another winner. QB in rd1 is just too risky of a pick for me. I'd rather give up a 1st round pick for a veteran QB who has shown something. Atlanta would have been better off going after D Anderson imo than going after Ryan. Just my philosophy.

You people are so gullible. No wonder George Bush is president. You'll believe anything negative.
An un-provoked political agenda being spewed on a football message board?How original.As far as Russel, I personally think it's worth pointing out that LSU (with a mojority of LAST years team intact) played far better this year with a less physically gifted QB, (albeit better decision maker). I know other factors come into play... but with Russel it always felt like he had just as good of a chance to LOSE the game for you as he did win it.

When Russell couldn't beat out Culpepper and McCown, and he's not working hard enough over the offseason, that is problematic.
Really? Did you follow the Raiders at all last season, or more specifically the situation with Russell? He didn't play last year because of one reason, and one reason only. He simply didn't get into camp soon enough. Whether you put that responsibility or blame on the Raiders or Russell doesn't make a difference. He didn't know the offence will enough, he didn't have enough practice time with the first offence and Kiffin made the right decision to keep him out of the games until he could learn more.It could even be argued that Russell did beat out both McCown and Culpepper. Both of those guys have been released and Russell has already been named the starter for 2008.

David Carr was another winner. QB in rd1 is just too risky of a pick for me. I'd rather give up a 1st round pick for a veteran QB who has shown something. Atlanta would have been better off going after D Anderson imo than going after Ryan. Just my philosophy.
I have to admit, Carr is the QB I've been most disapointed in. He seemed to have his stuff together and the arm. He warranted his pick, but never lived up to it. Whether due to the OL, lack of support, or just not working hard enough, I'm not sure. I agree for the most part with your premise, but there are some QBs worth the high picks (and I'm not just looking in the rearview mirror)

Get a grip. Let the guy play at least a season or two before calling him a bust. The whole weight thing certainly is a concern, but until he's been a full time starter for a while it's too early to rush to conclusions.
Nobody's calling him that yet. They're just saying the signs are there.
RUMOR OF RUSSELL WEIGHT GAIN DISPUTEDIn response to our posting of a rumor from Don Banks of SI.com that Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell is closing in on 300 pounds, a league source says that Russell isn't close to 300 pounds, and that his weight is south of 275.

Russell's listed weight is 255.

Last year, Russell caused a mini-stir at the Scouting Combine when he weighed in at a flabby 265 pounds.

Is this a sign that he's a future stud?

Is Brady Quinn's failure to beat out Derek Anderson a sign that HE may be a bust?

I was told in no uncertain terms that Quinn was pro-ready. Groomed by Charlie Weis, and ready to go, right off the assembly line.

A BS rumor gets started, without one confirmed sighting of this supposed flabby QB, and "the signs are there"? I need more, personally.

The big concern should be that Al Davis isn't going to allow the coaching stability that any young QB needs to develop. If Kiffin goes, which I think is a matter of when, not if, then Russell could be headed down the path of young QBs that get 3 offensive coordinators in 4 years, or some such crap. Which sucks.
Quinn may have been ready to start early last year. Anderson played well enough to keep him on the bench.When Russell couldn't beat out Culpepper and McCown, and he's not working hard enough over the offseason, that is problematic.
"Not working hard enough in the offseason"? Is there a link available to this devastating new development, or is this simply the conclusion everyone has reached based on this rumor, which has since been contradicted by another rumor?As to JaMarcus not beating out McCown and Culpepper, I was being rather facetious with my questions about Quinn. Kinda thought that was obvious. And not mentioning that Russell missed all of training camp is the worst kind of selective memory in order to make a "point". Once Russell missed camp, he wasn't gonna start. I've read your stuff, you're better than that.

And my point about Quinn is valid, even if I actually don't subscribe to that theory. Anderson may have played well enough to keep him on the bench, but Quinn couldn't beat him out in training camp, either. Russell didn't arrive till late August, and when he did play, looked better than McCown or Culpepper. I am not labeling Quinn a bust, or Russell a god. But the fact is the Browns, made a point of re-signing Anderson. A non-believer might choose to think they have no faith in Quinn.

I follow my team pretty closely, which is to say, religiously, and I haven't noticed any "signs" of bust-dom yet, and haven't heard any reports of "not qworking hard enough in the offseason".

You know, there's plenty of valid facts we can mock the Raiders about, no need to believe and exaggerate every rumor that gets passed around like 12 year-old girls.

You know, there's plenty of valid facts we can mock the Raiders about, no need to believe and exaggerate every rumor that gets passed around like 12 year-old girls.
Oh come on. You have about the best sense of humor as anyone who posts here. Let them have their fun. The funny part comes with patience. Russell is a great talent. He is in horrible situation that he may not be able to save. Quinn is like the little 12 year old girls screaming from his fan club in this thread. He'll look pretty in preseason again, but when he's finally put under real pressure he'll look ridiculous like he did at those moments in college. He's a poser. It's part of why he makes such a great male model.

Get a grip. Let the guy play at least a season or two before calling him a bust. The whole weight thing certainly is a concern, but until he's been a full time starter for a while it's too early to rush to conclusions.
:lmao: This reminds me of the quick judgment of Lendale White when rumors of him gaining weight surfaced and everyone had to get a shot in. White seems to be doing fine.
:wall: White showed up fat and stayed fat through the season. He was somewhat successful despite being overweight, but there's a reason he had one of the lowest yards-per-carry averages amongst starters in the NFL last season.

Oh come on. You have about the best sense of humor as anyone who posts here. Let them have their fun. The funny part comes with patience. Russell is a great talent. He is in horrible situation that he may not be able to save. Quinn is like the little 12 year old girls screaming from his fan club in this thread. He'll look pretty in preseason again, but when he's finally put under real pressure he'll look ridiculous like he did at those moments in college. He's a poser. It's part of why he makes such a great male model.
:lol: I admire you for your consistency.

RUMOR OF RUSSELL WEIGHT GAIN DISPUTEDIn response to our posting of a rumor from Don Banks of SI.com that Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell is closing in on 300 pounds, a league source says that Russell isn't close to 300 pounds, and that his weight is south of 275.

Last year, Russell caused a mini-stir at the Scouting Combine when he weighed in at a flabby 265 pounds.

Is Brady Quinn's failure to beat out Derek Anderson a sign that HE may be a bust?

I was told in no uncertain terms that Quinn was pro-ready. Groomed by Charlie Weis, and ready to go, right off the assembly line.

A BS rumor gets started, without one confirmed sighting of this supposed flabby QB, and "the signs are there"? I need more, personally.

The big concern should be that Al Davis isn't going to allow the coaching stability that any young QB needs to develop. If Kiffin goes, which I think is a matter of when, not if, then Russell could be headed down the path of young QBs that get 3 offensive coordinators in 4 years, or some such crap. Which sucks.
Quinn may have been ready to start early last year. Anderson played well enough to keep him on the bench.When Russell couldn't beat out Culpepper and McCown, and he's not working hard enough over the offseason, that is problematic.
"Not working hard enough in the offseason"? Is there a link available to this devastating new development, or is this simply the conclusion everyone has reached based on this rumor, which has since been contradicted by another rumor?As to JaMarcus not beating out McCown and Culpepper, I was being rather facetious with my questions about Quinn. Kinda thought that was obvious. And not mentioning that Russell missed all of training camp is the worst kind of selective memory in order to make a "point". Once Russell missed camp, he wasn't gonna start. I've read your stuff, you're better than that.

And my point about Quinn is valid, even if I actually don't subscribe to that theory. Anderson may have played well enough to keep him on the bench, but Quinn couldn't beat him out in training camp, either. Russell didn't arrive till late August, and when he did play, looked better than McCown or Culpepper. I am not labeling Quinn a bust, or Russell a god. But the fact is the Browns, made a point of re-signing Anderson. A non-believer might choose to think they have no faith in Quinn.

I follow my team pretty closely, which is to say, religiously, and I haven't noticed any "signs" of bust-dom yet, and haven't heard any reports of "not qworking hard enough in the offseason".

I know these guys personally, everything I say is firsthand knowledge. Russell loves his twinkies and hangs out with Mike Williams at Dunkin Donuts.

I know these guys personally, everything I say is firsthand knowledge. Russell loves his twinkies and hangs out with Mike Williams at Dunkin Donuts.
Geez, why didn't you say so? My apologies. :lmao:

Per Mass Raider,

Quinn held out and missed nearly all of Cleveland's trianing camp, signing with only two practices before the first preseason game last year.

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/224095-3/S...n_ends_holdout/

... Quinn's absence has all but ensured he will not win the Browns' starting job, which has become a two-man contest between Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson.

... "We're going to put him at the bottom of the chart and see where he is," Crennel said. "We'll let him compete, but I'm not putting him on the first team tomorrow."

The Browns have only two practices before their first preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday in Cleveland.
Quinn not only missed most of camp but he also missed the team's four day rookie orientation. In the first week of the holdout, Crennel mentioned how much of the offense was being installed/learned by the other QBs and that Quinn was falling behind. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=2960669

"He's pretty far behind," Crennel said. "We have a lot of offense and we're putting it in every day. It takes a while to get this down and get caught up on it."

Quinn also missed the team's four-day rookie orientation program before camp opened.
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3456105&page=1
... Having missed the first 10 days of training camp, Quinn, 22, faces a considerable catch-up period at a position where the learning curve is already difficult.
You may have forgotten the holdout but Quinn held out and missed most of camp so your statement that Quinn couldn't beat out DA/Frye in camp isn't quite accurate and needed to be corrected. You know your team, I know mine.

Geez, that post looked liked a lot of work.

I was playing Devil's Advocate. But I stand corrected, Quinn missed most of training camp.

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :confused:

Geez, that post looked liked a lot of work.I was playing Devil's Advocate. But I stand corrected, Quinn missed most of training camp.Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :rant:
Worried? About what? Another double digit win season with Pro Bowl QB production? Basically I don't get caught up in personality. For me, I just look at the bottom line of production. Last year the Browns got fantastic QB production. That satiates my need of QB production.I also think both DA and Quinn can play which provides excellent depth to assure continuded high QB production. So not only am I unconcerned, I feel pretty darn good about the Browns QB position. And I love Russell's arm but he shouldn't leave himself open to criticism by showing up fat and out of shape for two consecutive years. He pulled the same thing in college and then last year at the combine and then again after he held out when he hit the Raiders practice field. But now? Once again he's still not in shape. That has to cause alarms.

Geez, that post looked liked a lot of work.I was playing Devil's Advocate. But I stand corrected, Quinn missed most of training camp.Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :thumbdown:
Worried? About what? Another double digit win season with Pro Bowl QB production?
Notice the winky smiley.My comments about Quinn were absurd on purpose, to point out the absurdity of questioning Russell's inability to take the starting job. Not being able to beat out Anderson doesn't mean a darn thing, Anderson played well. It is the same, to me, as someone questioning why Russell, without benefit of an entire preseason, couldn't take the starting job. And let's not forget how raw we were told Russell was, and that he'd need years of seasoning. It's twisting the facts to suit an argument.My opinion about the Browns QB situation, if you were wondering:I have no idea how good Quinn may be, but I think he is affordable for the foreseeable future, and re-signing Anderson was the right move. Letting Anderson go, just because Quinn was your first round pick, would have been dumb. If you are getting good QB play, it doesn't matter if it's a 1st rounder or a 6th rounder. They will have to address Quinn one way or the other someday, but there's no rush, and I think Anderson keeps the job. They can afford both, so why not keep them?

And I love Russell's arm but he shouldn't leave himself open to criticism by showing up fat and out of shape for two consecutive years. He pulled the same thing in college and then last year at the combine and then again after he held out when he hit the Raiders practice field. But now? Once again he's still not in shape. That has to cause alarms.
Didn't finish reading your post. "Once again, he's still not in shape"?Why is it that one rumor is gospel fact, and another rumor completely ignored?? As fast as that Don Banks rumor was posted, ProFootballTalk posted one that said he wasn't out of shape at all. Here's a comment from Jason Jones, Sacramento Bee:Odds and endsFor a team that was 4-12 in 2007, the Raiders continue to generate a lot of rumors and fodder for jokes.The latest is rumors JaMarcus Russell is tipping the scale at 300 pounds.I spoke with someone close to Russell that said that’s not true and that Russell is a lot closer to the 260 pounds or so he finished the season at than anywhere near 300.hey, do my two rumors trump the one rumor??

I was playing Devil's Advocate. But I stand corrected, Quinn missed most of training camp.

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :wall:
Worried? About what? Another double digit win season with Pro Bowl QB production?
Notice the winky smiley.My comments about Quinn were absurd on purpose, to point out the absurdity of questioning Russell's inability to take the starting job. Not being able to beat out Anderson doesn't mean a darn thing, Anderson played well. It is the same, to me, as someone questioning why Russell, without benefit of an entire preseason, couldn't take the starting job. And let's not forget how raw we were told Russell was, and that he'd need years of seasoning. It's twisting the facts to suit an argument.

My opinion about the Browns QB situation, if you were wondering:

I have no idea how good Quinn may be, but I think he is affordable for the foreseeable future, and re-signing Anderson was the right move. Letting Anderson go, just because Quinn was your first round pick, would have been dumb. If you are getting good QB play, it doesn't matter if it's a 1st rounder or a 6th rounder. They will have to address Quinn one way or the other someday, but there's no rush, and I think Anderson keeps the job. They can afford both, so why not keep them?
yes, the Chargers were dumb as well. FWIW, I realized you were being a little over the top with Quinn, but surely you will agree that staying on the bench while a pro-bowler starts is different than staying behind two (basically) worthless QBs. NOW - Russell did start, and play well, in week 17, so I'm not labeling him a bust. To me, that there are even rumors about a young QB who was, in fact, not in as good shape as we'd hope, last season, still has weight control issues, is problematic. They may be completely untrue, but usually rumors have some basis in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
:tinfoilhat: I admire you for your consistency.
I can't help it if you like sexy well--muscled good looking young boys and I like good football players.

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :tinfoilhat:
Notice the winky smiley.My comments about Quinn were absurd on purpose, to point out the absurdity of questioning Russell's inability to take the starting job. Not being able to beat out Anderson doesn't mean a darn thing, Anderson played well. It is the same, to me, as someone questioning why Russell, without benefit of an entire preseason, couldn't take the starting job. And let's not forget how raw we were told Russell was, and that he'd need years of seasoning. It's twisting the facts to suit an argument.

I have no idea how good Quinn may be, but I think he is affordable for the foreseeable future, and re-signing Anderson was the right move. Letting Anderson go, just because Quinn was your first round pick, would have been dumb. If you are getting good QB play, it doesn't matter if it's a 1st rounder or a 6th rounder. They will have to address Quinn one way or the other someday, but there's no rush, and I think Anderson keeps the job. They can afford both, so why not keep them?
yes, the Chargers were dumb as well. FWIW, I realized you were being a little over the top with Quinn, but surely you will agree that staying on the bench while a pro-bowler starts is different than staying behind two (basically) worthless QBs. NOW - Russell did start, and play well, in week 17, so I'm not labeling him a bust. To me, that there are even rumors about a young QB who was, in fact, not in as good shape as we'd hope, last season, still has weight control issues, is problematic. They may be completely untrue, but usually rumors have some basis in reality.
It is different, jsut as the two players are different. Russell was the raw guy, I heard he wouldn't be game ready for two or three years. This raw guy misses all of preseason, not just training camp. Everyone and their mother said his rookie year is now wasted because he missed all that practice. And you think it's fair to wonder why he never took the job? Come on.As to the rumor, I just posted two different sources saying exactly the opposite of what Banks said. So where's the basis in reality there?

My best guess, regarding these rumors? Here's my answer: Russell is a big dude. I don't think he'll ever have Quinn's washboard abs. On the field lat last year, he looked fat to me. But he wasn't. He was just a big dude wearing a flak jacket. So I think it's very easy for people to see JaMarcus in the offseason (which no one yet has admitted to, BTW) wearing the baggy casual clothes he always wears, and says, man, he looks like he's 300 pounds.

To me, that there are even rumors about a young QB who was, in fact, not in as good shape as we'd hope, last season, still has weight control issues, is problematic. They may be completely untrue, but usually rumors have some basis in reality.
Ever heard of Snopes.com?There are many rumors that have no basis in reality. Welcome to "teh interweb".

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :no:

It is different, jsut as the two players are different. Russell was the raw guy, I heard he wouldn't be game ready for two or three years. This raw guy misses all of preseason, not just training camp. Everyone and their mother said his rookie year is now wasted because he missed all that practice. And you think it's fair to wonder why he never took the job? Come on.As to the rumor, I just posted two different sources saying exactly the opposite of what Banks said. So where's the basis in reality there?

My best guess, regarding these rumors? Here's my answer: Russell is a big dude. I don't think he'll ever have Quinn's washboard abs. On the field lat last year, he looked fat to me. But he wasn't. He was just a big dude wearing a flak jacket. So I think it's very easy for people to see JaMarcus in the offseason (which no one yet has admitted to, BTW) wearing the baggy casual clothes he always wears, and says, man, he looks like he's 300 pounds.
time will tell. dollars to donuts says he won't be in "game shape" at the start of camp.also, I'm not thinking it's fair to wonder why he never took the job, I'm saying it's fair to say he shouldn't have been the #1 overall pick.

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :no:

time will tell. dollars to donuts says he won't be in "game shape" at the start of camp.also, I'm not thinking it's fair to wonder why he never took the job, I'm saying it's fair to say he shouldn't have been the #1 overall pick.
That's cool, but that isn't what you said before. Not at all.

time will tell. dollars to donuts says he won't be in "game shape" at the start of camp.
Lots of guys don't show up to camp in "game shape". That's partly what camp is for. As long as he's in "game shape" by the end of camp, I'll be happy. I can't believe some of the overreactions in this thread. On Russell's frame, 30 lbs. is not a big deal. He could lose that in a month. I just hope he's working the playbook and studying videotape.

Sooooooo, should we be worried if he doesn't beat out Anderson this summer? :popcorn:

That's cool, but that isn't what you said before. Not at all.
I hope you realize I didn't say anything negative about Russell until you went on about how Quinn should have won the job in camp - which was debunked. You miscontrued my comment - which, in hindsight, isn't surprising and I could have written it clearer.

When Russell couldn't beat out Culpepper and McCown, and he's not working hard enough over the offseason, that is problematic.
If I'm picking #1, I want a player who at least will work hard. I haven't seen anything from Russell to show that he's doing so.

If I'm picking #1, I want a player who at least will start a couple games over a couple NFL rejects. Russell did not.

Yes, I see problems with the pick (and the franchise itself, but that's another thread)

If I'm picking #1, I want a player who at least will work hard. I haven't seen anything from Russell to show that he's doing so.
What have you seen that proves he ISN'T working hard?
If I'm picking #1, I want a player who at least will start a couple games over a couple NFL rejects. Russell did not.Yes, I see problems with the pick (and the franchise itself, but that's another thread)
In my previous post I talked to this point. There was ZERO reason to have Rusell play last season. He signed way to late (regardless of who's fault that was) to benefit from any of the post draft off-season sessions. Kiffin couldn't give him any practice time with the first offence through out the season because he was already bouncing between two other QBs from week to week. Was this guy just supposed to walk in and start immediately without knowing the offence?

time will tell. dollars to donuts says he won't be in "game shape" at the start of camp.
Lots of guys don't show up to camp in "game shape". That's partly what camp is for. As long as he's in "game shape" by the end of camp, I'll be happy. I can't believe some of the overreactions in this thread. On Russell's frame, 30 lbs. is not a big deal. He could lose that in a month. I just hope he's working the playbook and studying videotape.
Camp hasn't been for getting into shape for a long time. With the exception of those who constantly battle weight problems (Russel might turn out to be one of them), and a few others, most players keep themself in shape throughout the year. Maybe they aren't as thoroughly conditions after the intense practices, but the days of the guys going home and resting for 6 months is long over. This is a business, and it is these players jobs to be in shape.

Camp hasn't been for getting into shape for a long time. With the exception of those who constantly battle weight problems (Russel might turn out to be one of them), and a few others, most players keep themself in shape throughout the year. Maybe they aren't as thoroughly conditions after the intense practices, but the days of the guys going home and resting for 6 months is long over. This is a business, and it is these players jobs to be in shape.
There is a pretty big difference between being in shape and being in game shape though. You only get into game shape by playing the game, hitting, ect.

kaso said:
FUBAR said:
What have you seen that proves he ISN'T working hard?
His past history leads me to believe otherwise. Like I said, time will tell. When the first rumor we hear about a guy with a history of weight problems is that he's gained weight, you go ahead and believe all things are hunky dory.
kaso said:
FUBAR said:
If I'm picking #1, I want a player who at least will start a couple games over a couple NFL rejects. Russell did not.

Yes, I see problems with the pick (and the franchise itself, but that's another thread)
In my previous post I talked to this point. There was ZERO reason to have Rusell play last season. He signed way to late (regardless of who's fault that was) to benefit from any of the post draft off-season sessions. Kiffin couldn't give him any practice time with the first offence through out the season because he was already bouncing between two other QBs from week to week. Was this guy just supposed to walk in and start immediately without knowing the offence?
Are you even reading what you're responding to?Do you think his not getting any first team practice reps, while Kiffin knows he doesn't have a good starter, is a good sign? (remember, Oakland was FAR from contending)

There is a pretty big difference between being in shape and being in game shape though. You only get into game shape by playing the game, hitting, ect.
ok, game shape is asking too much. How about "camp shape"?

If I was an Oak fan I would hope that Russell comes into camp overweight. Maybe it is a sign he has sat around reading and studying his play book and watching film...

If I was an Oak fan I would hope that Russell comes into camp overweight. Maybe it is a sign he has sat around reading and studying his play book and watching film...
:popcorn: grasping at straws. I've been through law school and stayed in very good shape. I guarantee he's not spending more time watching film and studying the play book than I did as a student.

;) grasping at straws. I've been through law school and stayed in very good shape. I guarantee he's not spending more time watching film and studying the play book than I did as a student.
Well, you don't have your millions to spend on muchies just yet like he does. :popcorn:

JAMARCUS is in Great Shape....Working out in OAKLAND!!!!!

(03-11) 21:02 PST -- The Raiders are searching for a backup quarterback. While they're on the subject, they want everyone to know their starting quarterback isn't breaking any scales.

JaMarcus Russell does not weigh 300 pounds and he has worked out at team headquarters since season's end, two team officials said Tuesday. They were addressing multiple Internet stories about rumors that Russell was pushing three bills and was MIA in Alameda this offseason.

"Ridiculous," said a front-office employee, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak on the issue. "JaMarcus is nowhere near that. He's been here. He's been working out. He's in great shape.

"That's something everyone's going to see at our first minicamp."

That won't be until early May. In the meantime, the Raiders began their search for a potential No. 2 quarterback by bringing in Jaguars backup Quinn Gray on Tuesday night. Contract negotiations are expected to continue today.

As for Russell, his weight has been made an issue ever since he arrived at the 2007 NFL scouting combine packing 265 pounds into his 6-6 frame.

The team lists his weight at 255 and, though team figures aren't always accurate, one official insisted he's not far off his playing weight.

"It's always got to be something, doesn't it?" he said.

That's to be expected with a player of Russell's profile. He was drafted first overall last year and given $31 million in guaranteed money. He made his first start in the season finale and immediately was named the 2008 starter by coach Lane Kiffin

(03-11) 21:02 PST -- The Raiders are searching for a backup quarterback. While they're on the subject, they want everyone to know their starting quarterback isn't breaking any scales.

JaMarcus Russell does not weigh 300 pounds and he has worked out at team headquarters since season's end, two team officials said Tuesday. They were addressing multiple Internet stories about rumors that Russell was pushing three bills and was MIA in Alameda this offseason.

"Ridiculous," said a front-office employee, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak on the issue. "JaMarcus is nowhere near that. He's been here. He's been working out. He's in great shape.

That won't be until early May. In the meantime, the Raiders began their search for a potential No. 2 quarterback by bringing in Jaguars backup Quinn Gray on Tuesday night. Contract negotiations are expected to continue today.

As for Russell, his weight has been made an issue ever since he arrived at the 2007 NFL scouting combine packing 265 pounds into his 6-6 frame.

The team lists his weight at 255 and, though team figures aren't always accurate, one official insisted he's not far off his playing weight.

That's to be expected with a player of Russell's profile. He was drafted first overall last year and given $31 million in guaranteed money. He made his first start in the season finale and immediately was named the 2008 starter by coach Lane Kiffin
Link!

Link!
I knew i forgot something..... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/SP51VI7IP.DTL

Link!
I knew i forgot something..... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/SP51VI7IP.DTL
Oh, I was adding the link for you.... :goodposting:

Not to stir the pot, but this doesn't sit right with me... The Radiers DON"T want it to get out that Russell isn't 3 bills?

ESPN's John Clayton reports JaMarcus Russell recently weighed himself and came in at 272 pounds.

It's not 300, but still about 12 pounds over his playing weight. If Russell can't get in quarterback shape by minicamp season, the Raiders could definitely use a left tackle. He's got the height part down and is close in weight.

Source: ESPN Insider

Not to stir the pot, but this doesn't sit right with me... The Radiers DON"T want it to get out that Russell isn't 3 bills?
Big al doesnt like his people talking about ANYTHING to anyone...ever. So asking for anonymity isnt out of line...but the rumors needed to be addressed.

I have some information for you. This is not a rumor. This is a fact.Raider front office employees speak on the condition of anonymity when the answer any questions. They aren't authorized to speak publicly on anything.

The reason is this: The Raiders don't want anything to get out. At all. Ever. They are always the last team to have their final cuts posted anywhere, they refuse to answer seemingly harmless questions, and one rarely reads quotes form their assistant coaches. The policy at this point is kind of a joke, but it answers your question.

We now have multiple sources, all of which are actually local, by the way, disputing Don Banks rumor. And the SF Chronicle, which provides the strongest evidence that Banks' rumor was incorrect, is known to take shots at the Raiders whenever possible.

ESPN's John Clayton reports JaMarcus Russell recently weighed himself and came in at 272 pounds.

It's not 300, but still about 12 pounds over his playing weight. If Russell can't get in quarterback shape by minicamp season, the Raiders could definitely use a left tackle. He's got the height part down and is close in weight.

Source: ESPN Insider
On Sports Center, Clayton chimed in on JaMarcus Russell weight and said something to the effect of (This is from memory, so its not a direct quote) "People seem to forget that he is a big quarterback like Daunte Culpepper. He may put on a few pounds over the offseason, even though Daunte doesn't, but he should lose it by camp." Basically saying that JaMarcus is a big dude, and he didn't think there was anything to worry about.Also on Clayton`s blog he made this statement...

Russell weighty issue: JaMarcus Russell recently weighed himself and, according to a source, he came in at 272 pounds, right around his playing weight. There have been reports Russell was overweight, which is hard to tell with his massive 6-foot-6 frame.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dstateChanged

:( grasping at straws. I've been through law school and stayed in very good shape. I guarantee he's not spending more time watching film and studying the play book than I did as a student.
LOOK AT ME!! I WENT TO LAW SCHOOL!!!

Jun. 3 - 9:34 pm et

JaMarcus Russell reportedly looked shaky at Raiders minicamp, and still "looks out of playing shape."

Like all non-contact work, we don't take evaluations from summer practices too seriously. Still, this is a sign that Russell's conditioning is a question despite the team's glowing reviews of his svelte 269-pound frame.

Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Jun. 3 - 9:34 pm et

JaMarcus Russell reportedly looked shaky at Raiders minicamp, and still "looks out of playing shape."

Like all non-contact work, we don't take evaluations from summer practices too seriously. Still, this is a sign that Russell's conditioning is a question despite the team's glowing reviews of his svelte 269-pound frame.

Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL
He's beginning to sound like Leftwich part deux.

Users who are viewing this thread