What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jay Cutler this year------STEAL------- (1 Viewer)

As my backup QB, sure. As my starter? No thanks.
Cutler has as much upside as anyone in ADP range. Couple him with safe QB like Eli (this is the #2 best QBBC combination) and you will fine at QB while able to save use your picks on more important positions.
Eli is a safe QB?

Here were his weekly rankings last year: 3, 21, 33, 24, 13, 24, 22, 20, 23, 22, 15, 23, 25, 35, 13, 25. So ONE WEEK as a QB1.

Here were his weekly rankings from 2012: 21, 1, 17, 12, 6, 19, 13, 26, 27, 28, 6, 15, 14, 28, 23, 2. Slightly better, but still only 5 weeks as a QB1.

Maybe we differ on what good QB scoring is, but unless Eli and Cutler do dramatically better, I am not sure I would really want either one of them.

Cutler has as much upside as anyone in ADP range. Couple him with safe QB like Eli (this is the #2 best QBBC combination) and you will fine at QB while able to save use your picks on more important positions.
Eli is a safe QB?Here were his weekly rankings last year: 3, 21, 33, 24, 13, 24, 22, 20, 23, 22, 15, 23, 25, 35, 13, 25. So ONE WEEK as a QB1.

Here were his weekly rankings from 2012: 21, 1, 17, 12, 6, 19, 13, 26, 27, 28, 6, 15, 14, 28, 23, 2. Slightly better, but still only 5 weeks as a QB1.

Maybe we differ on what good QB scoring is, but unless Eli and Cutler do dramatically better, I am not sure I would really want either one of them.
:goodposting:

Would be nice to snag Eli late and get a bounce back...but watching him last year, not something I would count on.

Id put Eli/Cutler as a high risk QBBC to own.

Not high from the price you pay...but high from you have a very nice chance to be chasing points every week because your QB is either hurt or just completely sucking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice to snag Eli late and get a bounce back...but watching him last year, not something I would count on.

Not high from the price you pay...but high from you have a very nice chance to be chasing points every week because your QB is either hurt or just completely sucking.
Eli Manning, as the 28th quarterback off the board, presents much less risk than Cutler. Presumably, you'd already have two quarterbacks or Aaron Rodgers at the time you pick Eli. Any upside he provides gives a surprise windfall, because few managers will depend on him; Cutler comes with some expectations, thus will burn more owners by sucking ####.

Eli is a safe QB?

Here were his weekly rankings last year: 3, 21, 33, 24, 13, 24, 22, 20, 23, 22, 15, 23, 25, 35, 13, 25. So ONE WEEK as a QB1.
that just means we can expect 15 weeks of QB1 this year to even it out

Eli Manning, as the 28th quarterback off the board, presents much less risk than Cutler. Presumably, you'd already have two quarterbacks or Aaron Rodgers at the time you pick Eli. Any upside he provides gives a surprise windfall, because few managers will depend on him; Cutler comes with some expectations, thus will burn more owners by sucking ####.
Sure...Eli as a backup to a top QB would be great...was only talking about having both he and Cutler as a QBBC and having a lot of risk of sucking.

Anarchy99 said:
cstu said:
Eminence said:
Eli is a safe QB?Here were his weekly rankings last year: 3, 21, 33, 24, 13, 24, 22, 20, 23, 22, 15, 23, 25, 35, 13, 25. So ONE WEEK as a QB1.

I think we differ on this being 2014 instead of 2013.

Cutler will definitely provide some value but the question is whether or not he can hold-up for the entire year. If I'm going to wait to get value for a QB I can think of a few better options.

sho nuff said:
cloppbeast said:
sho nuff said:

Sure...Eli as a backup to a top QB would be great...was only talking about having both he and Cutler as a QBBC and having a lot of risk of sucking.
Chase Stuart has a QBBC article that detailed what a great matchup combo Cutler and Eli are.

I would feel terrible if I came out of a draft with a Cutler\Eli combo.

I understand the waiting on QB strategy - it's all we hear about these days with QB fantasy analysis - but when people talk about late round targets like Cutler and Eli, they are always

envisaging the best possible outcome for these guys. If you actually own them in season and have to start them, it's a roller coaster most of the time and you rarely feel good about it. Given how deep the position is if you're in a 12 team league I see absolutely no reason to wait so long at QB that you're making Cutler you're QB1 - why not just pull the trigger a bit earlier and get a safer bet like Ryan or RG3, who have a higher ceiling and a higher floor, and still don't cost that much based on ADP.

sho nuff said:
cloppbeast said:
sho nuff said:

Chase Stuart has a QBBC article that detailed what a great matchup combo Cutler and Eli are.
I love playing the matchup game in July...same as those ranking strength of schedule based on last year.

Just saying they are at a risk of Eli not bouncing back and what can happen with Cutler. Their matchups may look great right now...but the risk is them simply not being good or being hurt.

I like that article but the way I used it was to go down the list until I found a QB I'd been targeting in mocks and see who his back up should be. EG

Foles & Tannehill ranked 9th

Foles & Cutler ranked 28th

I like that article but the way I used it was to go down the list until I found a QB I'd been targeting in mocks and see who his back up should be. EG

The thing is, Foles is not getting drafted as a QBBC guy. I have already been in drafts where Foles has been drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds. With an investment that steep, he will be a regular starter for fantasy purposes.

The thing is, Foles is not getting drafted as a QBBC guy. I have already been in drafts where Foles has been drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds. With an investment that steep, he will be a regular starter for fantasy purposes.
Not sure if I would draft Foles so early, but I can still understand taking a decent back up quarterback. You may not call it a QBBC, but rather a hedge for a hefty risk. Foles definitely makes a risk/reward mammoth, who could easily bite the dust. It makes sense to get a reasonable substitute to avoid a lost season, just in case.

Boy there has been a lot of chatter on Cutler as a great value in the FBGs content. Is this near consensus in TSP now too about him having such a great year?

Boy there has been a lot of chatter on Cutler as a great value in the FBGs content. Is this near consensus in TSP now too about him having such a great year?
I just don't buy Cutler. He wasn't that great last year in this offense and I'm not sure why I should expect him to improve. He is a solid fantasy QB, but I don't think he is some great value.

I just don't buy Cutler. He wasn't that great last year in this offense and I'm not sure why I should expect him to improve. He is a solid fantasy QB, but I don't think he is some great value.
Well, the numbers don't lie. I got him as the 10th QB off the board in the 9th round recently. When the Bears together put up 5th in passing yards and 7th in passing TDs... that seems like the definition of value. GREAT value, probably not. But I think it's pretty good value, considering the 6th QB (for my league, anyway) went at the end of round 6. So I'm getting basically three rounds of value in that draft. That's pretty darn good value, if not "great."

Well, the numbers don't lie. I got him as the 10th QB off the board in the 9th round recently. When the Bears together put up 5th in passing yards and 7th in passing TDs... that seems like the definition of value. GREAT value, probably not. But I think it's pretty good value, considering the 6th QB (for my league, anyway) went at the end of round 6. So I'm getting basically three rounds of value in that draft. That's pretty darn good value, if not "great."
remember that game wilt chamberlain and guy rodgers combined to score 111?

Totally fair and I'm likely biased against him, but I think QB10 is the right spot.

2 top 10 WR

Top 5 RB who catches passes

QB NOT in top 10?

That math does not seem to add up. Aside form the obvious top 4-5 QB's

I'd ABSOLUTELY take Cutler over:

RG3

Kaepernick

And most likely over

Cam Newton

Andy Dalton

And probably ahead of but at least close to:

Matty Ice

Romo

Stafford

Right behind

Brady

Wilson (depending on scoring system running rewards)

The only way the CHI skill guys can meet their expectations and Cutler does not end up top 10 is injury or VERY lopsided skill position stats in CHI.

The hard part and the caveat.

You'd better have another capable starter. He seems to sour quickly. Cutler has never really had that 'breakout' year with huge stats yet. Best year - 25/18 and 4500 yards in Denver. But he's 31 and married and perhaps finally a bit more mature.

Once you have drafted him - watching the studfest make s it hard to bench him. I drafted Cutler, Wilson and Foles - all of them quite a bit lower than ADP. WDIS? and/or are FBG predictions way off this year?

I love playing the matchup game in July...same as those ranking strength of schedule based on last year.

Just saying they are at a risk of Eli not bouncing back and what can happen with Cutler. Their matchups may look great right now...but the risk is them simply not being good or being hurt.
I am also curious about this. What did last year's article (or any prior year's) say?

I felt dirty when I drafted him as my QB1 and my concerns were not allayed with him having a mediocre game vs BUF at home. His line looked shaky and he looked shaky like usual. Now BOTH his stud WRs are hurt? Easy bench IMO. Gonna roll out RW3.

I felt dirty when I drafted him as my QB1 and my concerns were not allayed with him having a mediocre game vs BUF at home. His line looked shaky and he looked shaky like usual. Now BOTH his stud WRs are hurt? Easy bench IMO. Gonna roll out RW3.
Mediocre? Bad Jay? Jeffery went out earl and two of his linemen got hurt and Cutler still was the 6th highest scoring QB in my main league this week. As far as FF goes, I'll take that kind of mediocre every week.

I picked up Locker to start over him this week due to injuries to Alshon and Marshall, and O Line. Still really like him but not this week.

Bust alert: Jay Cutler (at SF): I like that Cutler will likely be throwing a lot in this game with the Bears expected to be chasing points, but he's potentially down two offensive linemen with Roberto Garza and Matt Slauson both battling high ankle sprains. Along with that,Brandon Marshall (ankle) and Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) are hurt coming off the Week 1 loss against Buffalo, and Cutler can't survive without his top two targets. The 49ers defense was solid against the Cowboys in Week 1 with three interceptions, and you can expect Cutler to get turnover happy in this matchup on the road.

I picked up Locker to start over him this week due to injuries to Alshon and Marshall, and O Line. Still really like him but not this week.

Bust alert: Jay Cutler (at SF): I like that Cutler will likely be throwing a lot in this game with the Bears expected to be chasing points, but he's potentially down two offensive linemen with Roberto Garza and Matt Slauson both battling high ankle sprains. Along with that,Brandon Marshall (ankle) and Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) are hurt coming off the Week 1 loss against Buffalo, and Cutler can't survive without his top two targets. The 49ers defense was solid against the Cowboys in Week 1 with three interceptions, and you can expect Cutler to get turnover happy in this matchup on the road.
I'm with you, I still like Cutler this year but I'm sitting him this week and starting Carson Palmer.

I'm with you, I still like Cutler this year but I'm sitting him this week and starting Carson Palmer.
We have the same team lol, starting Palmer as well.

We have the same team lol, starting Palmer as well.
x3. I missed on picking up Locker so going with Palmer this week.

After Palmer went inactive I decided to ride with him. Pretty glad I did! Although I subbed him out in another league for Locker =(

I can't believe how well he is playing after taking that shot to the ribs. I am shocked he didn't break a rib there... that was a really, really nasty hit... crown of the helmet of a charging 300 lb defensive lineman.

If he can throw 3 tds in this game, my confidence in him has risen dramatically. I benched him for RW because of the uncertainty of the two WRs but wow im stunned.

thought somebody bumped a year old thread
Exactly. I grabbed Cutler as a backup last year for the same reasons the OP stated. He got hurt in the one game I needed him (bye coverage). Ended up releasing him for someone on the field later in the season.

19 TDs, 12 INTs... not incredibly impressive. There is a reason Cutler is undervalued. But, yes, the supporting cast will make someone pull the trigger on Cutler again.
This guy

After Palmer went inactive I decided to ride with him. Pretty glad I did! Although I subbed him out in another league for Locker =(

I can't believe how well he is playing after taking that shot to the ribs. I am shocked he didn't break a rib there... that was a really, really nasty hit... crown of the helmet of a charging 300 lb defensive lineman.
I would like to see a Sports Science of that shot he took. "That's the equivalent of a car hitting you at 30 MPH!!!"

He looked good especially in the second half. I'm really happy with him so far.

When they benched him he was QB 9 in my league. It's not like he didn't produce QB1 numbers for FF purposes. So still not a total flop.

where do feel qb9 should typically be drafted, and what kind of advantage do you feel qb 9 gets you --- qb 9 who isn't playing superbowl week?

in my scoring he's qb 11 in ppg, virtually tied with rivers in 12, but that counts palmer on the list.

slightly behind wilson + romo, while slightly ahead of flacco + tannehill, and getting dusted by roethlisberger.

If you throw out the game when Cutler got hurt and recalculated ppg, he ranked pretty much as the last of the fantasy QB1s (QB12) last year. I would expect a few guys that ranked behind him to bounce back or do a little better this year (RGIII, Brady, Ryan, possibly Wilson and/or Kaepernick). Bottom line, Cutler is in the mix with a lot of other QBs vying to sneak into the QB1 range. Once again, I suspect anyone looking for him to be a fantasy difference maker and make huge strides to being an elite fantasy QB will be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread