What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeb Putzier (1 Viewer)

Marino13

Footballguy
I thought someone would pick him up right away... maybe with the abundence of TE's in the draft, he's not getting much attention. Jets really wanted him last year, but DEN matched, and they had to settle for trading a 1st for Doug Jolley... :)

I heard the Jets were interested, but with Miami signing Peele and Teyo Johnson, which was reportedly Baker's other option besides the Jets, I think the Jets will re-sign Baker.... leaving Putz to look elsewhere. Not much info, but I tend to think the Jets will sign Baker, ruling Putzier out.

per kffl.com

Texans | Team to visit with Putzier March 20Mon, 20 Mar 2006 06:04:17 -0800John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will visit with free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) Monday, March 20. Putzier, who played for Texans' head coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and tight ends coach Brian Pariani at Denver, would be an ideal fit for the Texans. He knows the offense that's being installed.
The thought around Texans' land is that the upset would be if he did not sign. He has not taken any other visits nor have the Texans brought in any other TEs.

I think Denver deserves a little bit of an apology over Putzier. The media kept scratching their heads when Putzier left, talking about what a PLAYER the kid was. I think all the interest he's drawn has put to bed the idea that he's a stud TE in the making.

If he lands in Houston, I hope they go out and get another good TE, still. The one thing Putzier doesn't do well is block... and the one thing Houston doesn't do well is keep David Carr upright. It might look like a match made in heaven from the outside, but I don't think it's that great of a signing, other than that it gives the Texans someone else who knows the offense already.

I believe Visanthe Shiancoe is due to visit them and the Bengals
Had not seen or heard this...any link TIA
I think Denver deserves a little bit of an apology over Putzier. The media kept scratching their heads when Putzier left, talking about what a PLAYER the kid was. I think all the interest he's drawn has put to bed the idea that he's a stud TE in the making.

If he lands in Houston, I hope they go out and get another good TE, still. The one thing Putzier doesn't do well is block... and the one thing Houston doesn't do well is keep David Carr upright. It might look like a match made in heaven from the outside, but I don't think it's that great of a signing, other than that it gives the Texans someone else who knows the offense already.
The texans have the worst TE situation in the NFL. His 35-40 catches and shaky blocking is an upgrade. I don't feel that anyone really feels that he is more than an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had not seen or heard this...any link TIA
No sorry, word of mouth/chat. I'm told Marcellius Rivers has been pimping him and Kubiak and Co wanna chat with him. Genuinely interested or just appeasing their current TE? Who knows. Signing there? Absolutely not, just a chat.This friend is very reliable for me.

The texans have the worst TE situation in the NFL. His 35-40 catches and shaky blocking is an upgrade. I don't feel that anyone really feels that he is more than an upgrade.
Rivers had 16 catches the last 4 weeks which was not much but....a tiny spark.

Now that's a guy to watch... give him some reps, and he could be a monster. He had incredible measurables and has looked good whenever he's filled in for Shockey.

Now that's a guy to watch... give him some reps, and he could be a monster. He had incredible measurables and has looked good whenever he's filled in for Shockey.
He's an awesome target and can catch/run with "any" NFL TE probably but he has not been able to develop as a blocker. My understanding is that has really frustrated the Giants.

Teams might be planning on drafting a TE though
Yes, they might... but if Alge Crumpler hit the market, teams would scramble to sign him instead of waiting for the draft. If Jason Witten hit the market, teams would sign him rather than draft. If Putzier was such a great player that letting him go is a dumb move that drastically weakens the Broncos... why aren't other teams scrambling to pick him up? I mean, he must have been good if he was such an integral part of the 13-3 Denver Broncos last year.

Teams might be planning on drafting a TE though
Yes, they might... but if Alge Crumpler hit the market, teams would scramble to sign him instead of waiting for the draft. If Jason Witten hit the market, teams would sign him rather than draft. If Putzier was such a great player that letting him go is a dumb move that drastically weakens the Broncos... why aren't other teams scrambling to pick him up? I mean, he must have been good if he was such an integral part of the 13-3 Denver Broncos last year.
No one is confusing Jeb with a top TE. Once you drop from them, IMO, it's simply whether they want him or a rook IMO.

Denver matched the Jets offer sheet last year... DEN didn't feel he was worth the money that he was getting... doesn't necessarily mean that he's not good... he's looked very good as a pass catching TE, but yes, his blocking is not great.

Denver matched the Jets offer sheet last year... DEN didn't feel he was worth the money that he was getting... doesn't necessarily mean that he's not good... he's looked very good as a pass catching TE, but yes, his blocking is not great.
His blocking is keeping him from being a top TE it seems. Anyone know what his problem is with blocking? Not strong enough or what?

Signed with Texas. Here's the blurb from the hotwire.

Texans | Putzier agrees to deal

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:51:18 -0800

Adam Caplan, of Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports the Houston Texans have agreed with free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) on a four-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal also includes a $1.85 million signing bonus.

The texans have the worst TE situation in the NFL.  His 35-40 catches and shaky blocking is an upgrade. I don't feel that anyone really feels that he is more than an upgrade.
Rivers had 16 catches the last 4 weeks which was not much but....a tiny spark.
That 7.0 yards per catch did not do much for me. IIRC, he is UFA anyway.

I do recall B. Miller pulling in some decent numbers a few yrs ago for the Texans. Considering that they do not have a legit #2 wr (even if they draft one, rookie factor) Putzier could surprise. I'm not saying world beater, but could be more than servicable.

His blocking is keeping him from being a top TE it seems. Anyone know what his problem is with blocking? Not strong enough or what?
You have to remember that Putzier's college career was spent as a WR. Shanahan also requires a very competent blocker at the end of the line with the blocking schemes that DEN uses. What Shanahan was asking out of Putzier may just have been beyond his capability.That Kubiak knows him so well & made a play to get him, and that the DEN TE spot is usually fairly productive FF-wise (though that really seems to have slipped in the past couple of years), there is still some reasonable hope that Putzier will develop into a solid FF TE.

I do think that Putzier found his way into Shanahan's doghouse - which is very hard to get out of - given the completely mediocre play of Stephen Alexander & Putzier's superb ypc still had Putzier on the bench, and he never saw the light of day vs PIT in the playoffs, with even Wesley Duke getting PT ahead of Putzier - and Duke looked lost for the most part this year.

In Houston now I wonder if he is worth holding onto as a back up? If Vernon Davis gets to me in rookie draft I will cut him lose! I hate carrying 3 te's even in leagues that require TE position seperatly like most of mine do. Hogs up a RB/QB roster spot.

You have to remember that Putzier's college career was spent as a WR. Shanahan also requires a very competent blocker at the end of the line with the blocking schemes that DEN uses. What Shanahan was asking out of Putzier may just have been beyond his capability.
You also described Sharpe or how people felt about him years ago, didn't you?

You have to remember that Putzier's college career was spent as a WR.  Shanahan also requires a very competent blocker at the end of the line with the blocking schemes that DEN uses.  What Shanahan was asking out of Putzier may just have been beyond his capability.
You also described Sharpe or how people felt about him years ago, didn't you?
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread